• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
It was interesting rewatching the first episode via the dub. What did people think? I dunno for me, something seemed “off”. However, it could just be VAs getting back into their roles. Even JYB seemed off. At first I thought they recast him
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
And this proves that the whole bankai bait was the worst move ever. Remember how back in the Soul Society arc Yoruichi managed to prove she doesn't even need to use a sword to overpower Soifong? Seems she was the only one. Byakuya also showed that he didn't need a bankai to overpower Ichigo when he started using kido spells. It's like the author thought the simple concept of bankai was cool enough to carry the story and then trash everybody with it.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:38 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
It was interesting rewatching the first episode via the dub. What did people think? I dunno for me, something seemed “off”. However, it could just be VAs getting back into their roles. Even JYB seemed off. At first I thought they recast him

Wow, I thought the dub was really good...with the exception of the guy Ichigo beat up. The performance (and the cartoony German accent) was too over the top.

As for the latest episode, I genuinely think it was the best directed episode yet. The music score is also pretty godly, elevating every scene. That said, I fully believe the next episode has a chance to be the best episode yet if handled right.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Can I just take a moment to praise Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as As Nodt? Like, I've always known he's had far more range than he usually gets to stretch in his usual typecast, even if he always delivers performance-wise, but he was virtually unrecognizable here. Compare that to Bleach fangirl Reina Ueda who I picked out immediately, I might not have realized it was him had I not read up on the cast.

It's nice to see more Soul Society characters getting lines/dialogue now.

It's hilarious that Byakuya is counting on Renji's Bankai knowing the track record for said Bankai and the fact that Byakuya beat it before with his own Bankai. Renji doesn't even get to do anything with it before he gets punted by Wrestler guy.

That Rukia visual was chilling. No wonder it threw Byakuya off. But getting attacked by your own Bankai is pretty bad too.

I love how they wasted no time letting Kenpachi just be Kenpachi in his first major scene in the episode. Although I guess not it's his turn to job to show off how powerful the antagonist is.

Yamamoto's incineration and the flashbacks with Sasakibe were great. Also glad to see Hisagi is safe. But now we're getting to the good stuff of Yamamto vs Yhwach.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get why people see Ichigo's goal of protecting his loved ones as something to criticise? It is a very human goal. He doesn't want to be pirate King. He just wants to protect the people he cares about. There is nothing wrong with that and doesn't make him a flat character which is what the reviews is implying.

Also great to hear that Nodt was translated well from the manfa. Trust me he gets more creepy later on. The scene with the hallucination of Rukia would have even mire fitting if the episode aired last week but what can you do.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I am once against impressed by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka. I'd have never recognized him in his chilling performance as As Nodt, and even knowing it was him I could just barely tell. Absolutely fantastic performance. Ichigo's despair and Genryusai's wrath were great as well.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
I really don't get why people see Ichigo's goal of protecting his loved ones as something to criticise? It is a very human goal. He doesn't want to be pirate King. He just wants to protect the people he cares about. There is nothing wrong with that and doesn't make him a flat character which is what the reviews is implying.

It's not so much that it makes him a flat character as it makes him a primarily reactive one. That's not bad in-and-of-itself, but it feeds into a larger, recurring issue with Bleach's narrative arcs, in that Ichigo is constantly ping-ponging between locations in reaction to the villains, who are the ones actually effecting the larger narrative. It also means that between big arcs there's no sense that he's changed much or been up to anything, and in aggregate it feels like he just hangs out waiting for the next big threat to show up so he can go fight the bad guy leader.

That doesn't have to be the case, and doesn't mean he needs a grand goal to Captain Commander or whatever. Like I said in the review, in moments like these it works great. But the story doesn't always work to highlight the more engaging parts of Ichigo's motivation, and when that happens he fades into the background.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Seemingly changing Berenice from a woman to a man has got to be the strangest and most pointless change made so far. Also guess they took out the part where Berenice accidentally got her powers counteracted by Jerome? Would be par for the course for this adaptation, which seems dead set on removing any humor that was in the original.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:11 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Seemingly changing Berenice from a woman to a man has got to be the strangest and most pointless change made so far.

Was curious about that, so I went and checked the manga, and at least the official releases uses "He" to refer to Berenice. And the anime character design seems pretty much identical to the manga. I haven't seen the original JP text, and far as I can tell nothing else about Berenice comes up in any supplemental material, so it seems like this may just be a funny mixup by fans over a very minor character with an androgynous design.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:52 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
Seemingly changing Berenice from a woman to a man has got to be the strangest and most pointless change made so far.

Was curious about that, so I went and checked the manga, and at least the official releases uses "He" to refer to Berenice. And the anime character design seems pretty much identical to the manga. I haven't seen the original JP text, and far as I can tell nothing else about Berenice comes up in any supplemental material, so it seems like this may just be a funny mixup by fans over a very minor character with an androgynous design.

Strangely enough, if you check the Wikia, the Portuguese one calls them a Female while the English one calls them Male, but even the English one has "her" sprinkled between the "him"'s for some reason. lol
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Considering Kubo is heavily involved in this adaption I have to assume that's the definitive word on the character.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The Wikias are all fan-managed; I would put zero stock into them, IMO.

It was a strong outing of an episode, and while I wouldn't say the momentum grinds to a halt like the review suggests, it is essentially two separate stories in one, and a little more cohesion would have been nice. The great thing about it being so long since I've gone through the arc is that unless it's obvious, I can't tell what is and isn't a new addition, because I don't think we saw Meninas that early?

It's extremely hard to deny the effect of battle shonen fundamentals when everyone is reinvigorated by the old man's resolve. It's infectious and giddy and I became the excited gaijin game reporters meme in real life.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

Also great to hear that Nodt was translated well from the manfa. Trust me he gets more creepy later on. The scene with the hallucination of Rukia would have even mire fitting if the episode aired last week but what can you do.

Passive protagonists that get dragged around by the plot are the most hated protagonists in all media, you can go and look for flops like Jupiter Ascending or Birds of Prey with passive protagonists as the main cause for their demise.

So it's not a "Bleach thing", that's just how thing are.

Besides, Ichigo's motivation is never fully explained nor properly addressed, we must believe that he wants to protect a "Lot of people" because his name means "Protector", that's quite the weak reason.

Kubo realized this and that's why he tries to give Ichigo agency on this arc.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, despite the fact that a few weeks ago it was confirmed that the series does not have a premiere date for Latin America, the first episode was released with its Neutral Spanish dub last Sunday, but it is only available on Hulu, which is not available in Latin America.
And if that wasn't bad enough for Latin American fans who would like to watch Bleach's Neutral Spanish dub, most of the cast was replaced, in the first episode only Ichigo, Orihime and Yhwach (Zangetsu) kept their original voices, the rest was replaced. Uryu's original voice actor doesn't work for the dubbing studio, IDF, and Chad's voice actor said that they didn't contact him. Curiously, Uryu's new voice actor, Armando Guerrero, voiced Ichigo in the live-action movie dub.
Man, this is the second time Viz mismanaged the Latin American dub for a popular anime, the first one was Yashahime, because while Inuyasha was dubbed in Mexico, Viz decided to dub Yashahime in Argentina.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be honest, i have 0 issues with the CG. When a skill has a "trillion" in the name, I'm not about to blame any anime studio for going with CG. In the manga, the skeletons were just drawn with brush. It was bound to look like this and even then I found it decent looking.

Regarding the bit about the bit the Yhwch being always 100 steps ahead... you do remember the last time they faced was 1000 years ago, right? If you can't come up with a 5 head plan in 1000 years, i'd be worried. Neutral Both Yhwch and Aizen planned around Yamamoto specifically. This was bound to happen.

When it comes to the "Soul Society keeps taking L's"... while I agree, do remember we're on episode 6 of 54, all comprising a single arc. You're not getting any W's anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12