• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Undead Unluck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 am Reply with quote
It must be a horror story for any Negators who can't speak English and have no idea what's going on, especially if they're not as aware of their powers.

Thank you for the Fuko dress fashion show, Andy! You clean up nicely as well.

Fuko already getting along with the other Union girls!

Watching Rip and Latla animated is absolutely delightful. Latla in animation looks amazing.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
This will be up to the anime direction, but one of my favorite fights in the whole manga should be adapted in the next episode (two at the most) so that should address your complaints at the lack of interesting action.

And you’re right, this kid is way better than Zenitsu. His personality outside of being scared is just way better.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
And you’re right, this kid is way better than Zenitsu. His personality outside of being scared is just way better.

spoiler[And that's more or less temporary after he gets proper training and makes some friends.]

The thing about Chikara is he's both useful for defense and support. spoiler[He can both stop enemies and leave them open for counter attacks by others, but he's also handy to pair with a certain Negator with a tendency to run into things]. There are no weak members of Union, not even the people working in the background.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
They're doing a great job adapting Chikara, Rip, and Latla. I especially liked how they adapted the "English" and language disconnect.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I especially liked how they adapted the "English" and language disconnect.

The Manga's official English Translator recently tweeted about how cool it was that they actually used his translation of the chapter it's based on for the scene in the anime, because originally in the chapter in Japanese "they speak 2 real lines of English and the rest is 'Just Pretend This is English' Japanese."
https://twitter.com/shinhoroko/status/1738387262654521443
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
while there is a to-do made of Andy's need to work around an ability that prevents him from healing himself in any way, the solution ends up being…honestly, I'm not quite sure. I get that Andy cheated the rules by framing his body explosion as an attack rather than a method of healing, but I'm still fuzzy on why Andy's powers ended up working just fine without much effort or puzzling out.

I'm usually wrong about everything so don't take my word for it, but as I understood it, it was just a matter of cutting off the part of his body that the scalpel had cut, as the scalpel wound is what won't heal. So if his head is cut off above where the scalpel cut him, his whole body can regenerate as normal (of course I use the word "normal" advisedly), as do his arms when his hands were cut off and he sliced off his forearms (which I guess he was able to do since he wasn't holding the object that cut him).

I think what made that all kinda confusing was that even when he looked at Fuko to mentally suggest she take the sword he was unable to use, the blood spray was already stopped with no trace on him or Clothy. And I have no explanation for that, unless Undead just automatically countered Unrepair. Which would mean he didn't need to cut off his head to stop the bleeding. When his hands were lopped off, they didn't keep bleeding either, so maybe some equilibrium is reached between healing and bleeding out? He can't regenerate from those stumps, but it won't kill him either?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
while there is a to-do made of Andy's need to work around an ability that prevents him from healing himself in any way, the solution ends up being…honestly, I'm not quite sure. I get that Andy cheated the rules by framing his body explosion as an attack rather than a method of healing, but I'm still fuzzy on why Andy's powers ended up working just fine without much effort or puzzling out.

I'm usually wrong about everything so don't take my word for it, but as I understood it, it was just a matter of cutting off the part of his body that the scalpel had cut, as the scalpel wound is what won't heal. So if his head is cut off above where the scalpel cut him, his whole body can regenerate as normal (of course I use the word "normal" advisedly), as do his arms when his hands were cut off and he sliced off his forearms (which I guess he was able to do since he wasn't holding the object that cut him).

I think what made that all kinda confusing was that even when he looked at Fuko to mentally suggest she take the sword he was unable to use, the blood spray was already stopped with no trace on him or Clothy. And I have no explanation for that, unless Undead just automatically countered Unrepair. Which would mean he didn't need to cut off his head to stop the bleeding. When his hands were lopped off, they didn't keep bleeding either, so maybe some equilibrium is reached between healing and bleeding out? He can't regenerate from those stumps, but it won't kill him either?

You're on the right track. Andy's first instinct to heal himself was to cut his head off, but it didn't work because under the rules of Unrepair it would would have been considered repairing. But Fuko could cut his head of because her goal was to cut his head off, not to heal him. Realizing this, instead of attempting to heal his hands he made his goal removing his forearms to fire them off.

Other than that, Andy's parts and blood disintegrate after a few seconds of being detached. While for Clothy my best guess is that as an Uma he's technically indestructible as long as his core isn't damaged since everything we see is more like an extension of himself so he isn't so much healing himself as he's replacing or weaving in the lost parts of that extension rather than healing the threads. I don't think this is ever fully explained, but considering he eats yarn and is made of cloth...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
I thought that was what I said, but maybe not. But I don't see the problem/solution as being goal-related, at least not to that extent. I still don't see that it needs to be. That is, I have trouble with the idea that the Un____ knows what you're thinking rather than simply working according to its rules. Like gravity doesn't know if you intend to fly or kill yourself, it just makes you fall either way. So if the part of Andy that was cut is no longer part of him, he can heal, and he can't get rid of that part by wielding a blade himself, but he can encounter something that will damage him, like if he ran into a wall...or a sword.

If however, what you say is correct, then even though stitching Fuko's wound up would not stop her bleeding, anyone attempting to would not even be able to do that much. So she'd be pretty much doomed unless they found some arsonist to set her on fire because they like to burn things, and that cauterized the wound. But I can wait to see how that gets resolved before digging in on one theory or another. Smile

I know his blood and tissues disintegrate, but my point was that he was not still gushing blood even before Fuko cut his head off. Noting the lack of blood on Clothy was my way of pointing out that he must've stopped bleeding before he cued her, and he continued to not be bleeding as they ran toward Rip. So apparently he was in no danger of bleeding to death even if he'd done nothing. The only explanation I had for that was Undead and Unrepair hitting an equilibrium of some kind. I'm open to a better one though. Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought that was what I said, but maybe not. But I don't see the problem/solution as being goal-related, at least not to that extent. I still don't see that it needs to be. That is, I have trouble with the idea that the Un____ knows what you're thinking rather than simply working according to its rules. Like gravity doesn't know if you intend to fly or kill yourself, it just makes you fall either way. So if the part of Andy that was cut is no longer part of him, he can heal, and he can't get rid of that part by wielding a blade himself, but he can encounter something that will damage him, like if he ran into a wall...or a sword.

If however, what you say is correct, then even though stitching Fuko's wound up would not stop her bleeding, anyone attempting to would not even be able to do that much. So she'd be pretty much doomed unless they found some arsonist to set her on fire because they like to burn things, and that cauterized the wound. But I can wait to see how that gets resolved before digging in on one theory or another. Smile

I said you were on the right track not that you were wrong. This is why they're called Negators, they negate the rules no matter what form they take. When Rip uses Unrepair he's negating the rule of Repair, it doesn't require the power or the user to be aware as long as the rule is aware (and Rules are aware, that's what Uma are) so cutting his arms off to repair his arms would go against the negation of the rule of Repair, but cutting his arms off to fire them off is a unique thing that only Andy can do so the rule no longer applies. Really Andy is the only one that can counter Rip, for anyone else it would be an attempt at repair.

And just like Andy wasn't able to cut his own head off to fix his body, anybody trying to stitch Fuuko's would would also fail before they got close to her with a needle. Obviously Fuuko is protected by plot armor so it isn't much of a spoiler to say she survives and it doesn't require any bending of the established rules to do so like Andy does. I'm sure not going to spoil it, you'll just have to wait a few episodes to see how.

Quote:
I know his blood and tissues disintegrate, but my point was that he was not still gushing blood even before Fuko cut his head off. Noting the lack of blood on Clothy was my way of pointing out that he must've stopped bleeding before he cued her, and he continued to not be bleeding as they ran toward Rip. So apparently he was in no danger of bleeding to death even if he'd done nothing. The only explanation I had for that was Undead and Unrepair hitting an equilibrium of some kind. I'm open to a better one though. Smile

Well, Andy can control his own blood pressure, we've seen him do that plenty, and since he doesn't exactly need his blood to be constantly pumping to live (he's Undead after all), it's really just an inconvenience to have an open wound like that. In other words he probably just just stopped his blood flow.

Emerje
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, I knew episode 13 had the potential to make me cry, but already knowing how the story goes I didn't expect actual tears. Anime cry Shame the episode ends so suddenly. There was a bit of a pacing issue where they literally seemed to be filling time by showing the same exact scene twice in a row.

Emerje
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
There was a bit of a pacing issue where they literally seemed to be filling time by showing the same exact scene twice in a row.

This is becoming a major pet peeve for me. We don't need to see a flashback to something that happened two minutes ago... I really like Undead Unluck (I am current in the manga), but this keeps destroying the pacing. It was especially bad in the middle of the Spoil arc.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:54 am Reply with quote
The flashback thing makes me think of Naruto Shippuden, but at least that had the excuse of being a long-runner.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
The flashback thing makes me think of Naruto Shippuden, but at least that had the excuse of being a long-runner.

This has the excuse of character development. Better to show us her past than having someone standing there expounding and miles better than what shows like Jujutsu Kaijin do and only deep dive into a character's past seconds before they die.

Emerje

(No, that's not a typo above, it's just a joke.)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, I didn’t mean new flashbacks, I meant the flashback that show scenes we saw a few minutes ago.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the flashbacks would've been more forgivable because originally we were supposed to be getting a break...but Hulu had other ideas!

All the same, this was a great Tatiana-focused episode. I completely forgot how similar she and Fuko are, beyond being cute and tough girls, until I saw all the parallels into their origins and what their powers cost them.

And Rie Kugimiya killed it, especially for the UNTOUCHABLE release scene.

I love Latla reacting like a normal person to all the craziness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8