• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Oreimo on DVD in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
I didn't like Kirino (but, as with others here, I did like a few of the secondary characters), so I'm not too interested in buying the series. If it were getting a BD release, then a purchase would be a possibility (the OVA episodes were generally much better than the TV episodes). The only way Aniplex will get me to buy the show on DVD would be if they were to include the character commentaries. Without them, a SD release has no chance of ending up on my shelf (even a discounted version at some point in the future).

I find it really hard to motivate myself to buy a series on DVD when it's produced in HD and a BD release exists...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
Matriel wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
They can, and a ton of the DVDs I have when upscaled don't look all that different from the BD counterpart. Of course, I'm not a videophile so I don't have the super-eye for that one pixel that is kind of blurry and therefore makes the whole image worthless. There are some exceptions of course, but with a comedy title like Oreimo I fail to see how there could be some drastic difference.

Really? Surprised In my experience, this is what the difference between upscaled-DVD and Blu-ray looks like.

upscaled-DVD

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2240/nanoha1920x1080v01.jpg

Blu-ray

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7117/nanoha1920x1080v02.jpg

Original Image

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8631/6f260c99c05edb60db3f4d5.png

Anime is generally all about bold colors, high-contrast, and sharp, well-defined lines. Oreimo fits this as well. This means that flaws in the image are easier to pick out because there isn't as much color information for our brains to work through. (color gradients) It won't matter if it's high action or a slow moving drama or comedy, artifacts and other flaws are just more apparent.

This has been my experience and is my opinion on the subject anyway.

To me, your examples simply reinforce my own opinion that the difference between an upscale and a BD is pretty miniscule. I maintain that if I slipped a DVD into a BD player without you seeing it and then asked you whether it was an upscale or a BD, you would not be able to reliably tell me for sure what it is. Yes, if you had a side by side comparison you probably could, but just on its own? Doubtful.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

To me, your examples simply reinforce my own opinion that the difference between an upscale and a BD is pretty miniscule.

That wasn't even a comparison. It's just random Nanoha artwork, both at the same resolution, saved at two different JPEG compression levels, lowering the saturation in the "DVD" screenshot. It doesn't represent the difference very well at all.

If you can't see the difference between a DVD and a BD with actual HD content on, then why even bother with a blu-ray player or HDTV for that matter? Yes, I could pick out the difference, readily. And it should be a lot more apparent than in that "example."
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Was in my top ten most wanted, so it's a buy for me Very Happy !!!
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes to the release, no to the asking price. It is hard enough to get Aniplex releases for a decent price. This is because most, if not all, coupons, promotions, and member discounts are excluded.

Hopefully a Blu-ray release will be announced. I would prefer not to be doubly hit on this release.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The $5 I paid to watch this on ANN was too much for this show.

Goodness, I hate this show.

I can't say I hate the show, but the theme of the show really does creep me out though. I've tried to look past it and give it a chance because a long time friend said it was okay as a series, but the over all theme is a bit much.

Although not nearly as creepy as Usagi Drop, it's still a bit of a stretch for me to say I could really want to finish the series.

But to be honest, I'd expect Media Blasters to license this type of show, not so much Aniplex.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Yes to the release, no to the asking price.

It's pretty much what's going to happen with big Aniplex titles and has been what people have been asking for quite some time now. Oreimo just finished up its DVD/BD release in Japan and it'll be released here in full (with the 4 OVAs) less than 3 months later. And a BD wouldn't come until years later if at all. There's no way that a Japanese company would release a BD here at 1/10 what the Japanese otaku paid unless it was years after the release, similarly priced, or if it was hindered in some way (think Bandai's Kurokami BDs).
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There's no way that a Japanese company would release a BD here at 1/10 what the Japanese otaku paid unless it was years after the release, similarly priced, or if it was hindered in some way (think Bandai's Kurokami BDs).

I was surprised the Japanese licensor allowed Sentai to do what they did with Highschool of the Dead. The last Japanese BD volume came out in February, with the total cost for the series around $400, and the North American BD collection came out in June and is $42 at RightStuf.
It's especially noteworthy due to the virtual lack of bonus items in the Japanese release (just a sheet of glossy paper with a 1-page short story included with each volume), making it almost pointless to buy the Japanese version.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Yes to the release, no to the asking price. It is hard enough to get Aniplex releases for a decent price. This is because most, if not all, coupons, promotions, and member discounts are excluded.

Hopefully a Blu-ray release will be announced. I would prefer not to be doubly hit on this release.

Did you even look at what is being included for the asking price?
12 episodes, 4 OVAs, 16 postcards, a poster, and a 24 page character design booklet. Sticker shock is an issue for consumers but it usually subsides once they remember what is included for that price.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
There's no way that a Japanese company would release a BD here at 1/10 what the Japanese otaku paid unless it was years after the release, similarly priced, or if it was hindered in some way (think Bandai's Kurokami BDs).

I was surprised the Japanese licensor allowed Sentai to do what they did with Highschool of the Dead. The last Japanese BD volume came out in February, with the total cost for the series around $400, and the North American BD collection came out in June and is $42 at RightStuf.
It's especially noteworthy due to the virtual lack of bonus items in the Japanese release (just a sheet of glossy paper with a 1-page short story included with each volume), making it almost pointless to buy the Japanese version.

I have to think HOTD is a special case in that it was made specifically for America. It really is odd though that it came out so fast on BD. It and Angel Beats really surprised me with how fast the BDs came out.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I can't say I hate the show, but the theme of the show really does creep me out though. I've tried to look past it and give it a chance because a long time friend said it was okay as a series, but the over all theme is a bit much.

Although not nearly as creepy as Usagi Drop, it's still a bit of a stretch for me to say I could really want to finish the series.

But to be honest, I'd expect Media Blasters to license this type of show, not so much Aniplex.

How much did you see of the show? I'm someone who really hates fanservice and things like that and I would've dropped this in an instant if the incest got anywhere, but I ended up really liking the show. I think also think the title is (obviously) a big part of what scares people away- it's more "my sister looks adorable when she's having fun with her friends" than "I want to bang my sister". And if there's any hints toward incest it's Kirino who's attracted to Kyousuke, not the other way around (though I haven't seen the "True End" episodes yet, so if something happens in those episodes, I apologize for being wrong).

As far as the characters go, I didn't like Kirino all that much... but I don't get why people hate her. She wasn't as bad as everyone makes her out to be. But I have to say, Kyousuke was my favorite character. I'm kinda sad that everyone always jumps to talking about Kirino and/or Kuroneko and skips over him. :p
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Did you even look at what is being included for the asking price?
12 episodes, 4 OVAs, 16 postcards, a poster, and a 24 page character design booklet. Sticker shock is an issue for consumers but it usually subsides once they remember what is included for that price.

Well, when you put it that way, it sounds better. They also did used the magic words "Limited Edition." It essentially means I have to get it.

For me, Aniplex releases are synonymous with high prices. But I do remember later that they do include a lot of extras and fancy packaging to go with the releases.

That "sticker shock" you mentioned does get to me at first but once I see what they are offering, it looks like a better deal than at first glance.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Only 1 question remains... How much will this cost? Confused

http://aniplexusa.com/oreimo/

MSRP: $74.99
Store price: $59.99

Geez!! That's a little ridiculous, Aniplex is killing me on these prices.
But, as said many a time before....I'll still buy it! Been dying to own this series!
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

How much did you see of the show? I'm someone who really hates fanservice and things like that and I would've dropped this in an instant if the incest got anywhere, but I ended up really liking the show. I think also think the title is (obviously) a big part of what scares people away- it's more "my sister looks adorable when she's having fun with her friends" than "I want to bang my sister". And if there's any hints toward incest it's Kirino who's attracted to Kyousuke, not the other way around (though I haven't seen the "True End" episodes yet, so if something happens in those episodes, I apologize for being wrong).

As far as the characters go, I didn't like Kirino all that much... but I don't get why people hate her. She wasn't as bad as everyone makes her out to be. But I have to say, Kyousuke was my favorite character. I'm kinda sad that everyone always jumps to talking about Kirino and/or Kuroneko and skips over him. :p

No nothing happens in the True Episodes, either. This really isn't what the show is about at all. They kind of hint toward it in the first couple episodes, but after that none at all.

And, what's this I'm seeing about Usagi Drop? What is wrong with that show? I've never once had any inclination of what I think Terrier's referring to at all! It is a wonderful, heart-warming show, and has nothing to do with any of that.

Why would you just automatically assume it's about that, have you even watched it yet?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
If you can't see the difference between a DVD and a BD with actual HD content on, then why even bother with a blu-ray player or HDTV for that matter? Yes, I could pick out the difference, readily. And it should be a lot more apparent than in that "example."

I'd love to test that out, because I don't think you would be able to. Remember, I'm not talking about a side by side comparison. I'm talking about sitting down in a chair, looking at a screen and then telling me if what you are seeing is an upscale or a BD. I put my Oh! Edo Rocket DVD into a BD player and watched on a 1080p HDTV and it looked fantastic. I defy anybody to come in and tell me whether it was a DVD or a BD they were watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6