• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romeo x Juliet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Having just watched episode three I am bit concerned spoiler[I feel that Gonzo might let them live! It honestly feels like Gonzo is moving the story in a direction where Romeo and Juliet getting together might bring peace to a hostile neo Verona. I like in this episode how Romeo fought Juliet, it's certainly adds a new level to their relationship. And more then anything I think that Romeo comes off better in this version then previous films....] There's a lot of interesting angles going on with this show, but I am somewhat concerned with how this show plans to keep up this great action and energy.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
oh god i hate to admit it, but i like this show a lot more than i thought i would. i watched the first 2 episodes out of boredom, and they actually turned to be pretty good.

i also agree it would really suck if they changed the ending. i wouldn't past them either, seeing as how they did it with Gankutsuou.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i also agree it would really suck if they changed the ending. i wouldn't past them either, seeing as how they did it with Gankutsuou.

But I think that you can with Count of Monte Cristo, I mean if you want to make changes to the ending it's really not all that difficult given Edmunds struggle over internal war waging in head of causing pain to people who had nothing to do with him being unfairly treated.

As for RXJ I just finished episode 5 and I am pretty much hook to htis show. There was a bit of a scare spoiler[when it look like there might be some weird love between Romeo and Juliet(who was a guy at the time) ]but all well that ends well. I really liked how episode 5 was directed, there was lots of information and more then anything a great sort of shock to end the episode.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
This isn't content related, but look what was waving in the gentle breeze when I walked out of the Akihabara JR station last month when I was there:

R x J banner

These things were all over the place too. There were many more than just the one in the picture, so the show is getting some advertising love in the heart of the capital of anime fandom.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Aynone who's not watching this series because of bad memories of Shakespeare in school is depriving themselves of what's turning out to be a quite solid teen romance series. I'm up through episode five (nice drama towards the end of that ep), and am now thoroughly convinced that this is a must-have series when it comes out in the States.

Really, the story follows the classic Romeo and Juliet in only the most general of senses. Change the names and drop the random references to assorted Shakespearean plays and you'd still have a good fantasy romance series. Trying to catch all the direct-from-Shakespeare lines and other references just adds to the fun.

And I want that opener as a single. I'd get the OST just for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm normally not a big fan of adaptations and re-tellings of classic literature or, in this case theatre, in any form. But I watched Gankutsuou and loved it because it took the original, gave it a few twists but kept it similar (except the ending) and it came out very well. So I decided to give this series a whirl because Romeo and Juliet was my first exposure to Shakespeare and I enjoyed it immensely. And now that school's out I've been able to sit down and catch up with what 's been released so far.

I like the animation more than Gankutsuou; the CG in the flags is a nice touch. The setting of this floating Neo Verona with Pegasus creatures and a medieval style of the buildings and the clothing feels like something out of Final Fantasy; not that it's a bad thing. I like the medieval fantasy setting, it really feels like Romeo and Juliet in Verona.

The story I'm a bit conflicted on. There are times when it feels like they've put too many twists on the original, like the whole "Red Whirlwind" thing, and there's an absence of a key character and a drastic role change of another. I'm disappointed in the removal of Tybalt (the key character) and how Mercutio is aiding Montague instead of being Romeo's best friend (the role change). On the other hand, it's fresh enough that it's still enjoyable and not completely predictable. Gonzo's keeping some key scenes, which is good; like the latter half of episode 4 is essentially the balcony scene. I also like how Hermione has taken the role of Paris, due to the flipped roles of the two leads. And the numerous Shakespeare references, including the playwright himself, are amusing.

Overall, it's a definite keeper and I'll be following this throughout the Summer.

Oh, and I share everyone's sentiment about the ending; it had better be something similar to the original. It's not called a tragedy for nothing.

edit: grammatical error

Last edited by DemonEyesLeo on Sun May 13, 2007 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I have watched recent episodes. And I think it was pretty good. Though first thing I noticed about the opening is that they've spelled William Shakespeare wrong. They spelled it Whilliam. Well, they've fixed it on episode 4. Anime hyper lol

They're following the story with alot of extra scenes, but so far they kept the plot clean and they didn't really messed up anything. I look forward watching the series..
cerulean88

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Having just watched episode three I am bit concerned spoiler[I feel that Gonzo might let them live! It honestly feels like Gonzo is moving the story in a direction where Romeo and Juliet getting together might bring peace to a hostile neo Verona. I like in this episode how Romeo fought Juliet, it's certainly adds a new level to their relationship. And more then anything I think that Romeo comes off better in this version then previous films....] There's a lot of interesting angles going on with this show, but I am somewhat concerned with how this show plans to keep up this great action and energy.

dear me i hope not Sad if they let the both of them live then it'll ruin everything. I think the OP to the anime pretty much leads to tons of spoilers. spoiler[Seeing both Romeo and Juliet in full battle armour, i think both sides will end up having an all out war with each other with Romeo leading the Montague's and Juliet leading the Capulet's. And there's Neo Verona crumbling too...like Laputa]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the notion that Romeo and Juliet should be made to die in the end. This series has already proven itself radically different from the original, and pretty much the only things it has in common with its source material is the basic premise, setting (although many liberties have been taken on this as well), and names. For all intents and purposes it is not even Romeo and Juliet anymore; it's a solid futuristic adolescent romance fantasy series which just happens to share the same name as Romeo and Juliet. To kill off the main characters at the end would be wholly inappropriate IMO, and would work against the main goal and theme of the entire series. I understand the need for at least some original source material to be retained, but as of right now it is so dissimilar already to the original novel, that for the sake of the plot and everything the series is aiming toward right now, Romeo and Juliet best remain alive. So rather than thinking of a nontragic end to the series as "cowardice" on Gonzo's part, I believe that ending it as a tragedy would be blind devotion.

As for the series itself, I just finished Episode 6, and it was great. Things are really heating up, and it seems that radical change is being soon implemented. Cliffhanger ending, so I'll be greatly looking forward to the next episode.
Chamrin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Most of us here are plenty familiar with the story of Romeo and Juliet, however I'm wondering how this show is going over in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if for a lot of the viewers there, that it is their first time experiencing Romeo and Juliet. Unless of course it's also required reading in English lit classes in Japan too, but I would guess not. In a way, all the references to shakespeare are more geared towards us, who've had to read probably several of his plays in school, than it is towards Japan.

So while the ending for us may be well known (unless gonzo does the unspeakable and changes it), the general audience in Japan does not. I'm curious about people's reactions to the show so far from their perspective, so if anyone has some insight to share to satisfy my curiosity, it would be appreciated.

Cham
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
To kill off the main characters at the end would be wholly inappropriate IMO, and would work against the main goal and theme of the entire series.

Ah, but it wouldn't simply be "killing them off." The whole point was that they loved each other so much that they were willing to die together. But I see where you're coming from with the difference from the original; however, it still carries the same name and it's just not Romeo and Juliet without the tragic ending.
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Ah, but it wouldn't simply be "killing them off." The whole point was that they loved each other so much that they were willing to die together. But I see where you're coming from with the difference from the original; however, it still carries the same name and it's just not Romeo and Juliet without the tragic ending.

By around episode 5 I had pretty much forgotten this is supposed to be Romeo and Juliet. After seeing how Gonzo turned a classic revenge tale into an angst filled coming-of-age story, nothing they do here's gonna surprise me.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
lazybastard wrote:
By around episode 5 I had pretty much forgotten this is supposed to be Romeo and Juliet. After seeing how Gonzo turned a classic revenge tale into an angst filled coming-of-age story, nothing they do here's gonna surprise me.

Okay, what Shakespeare have you been reading/watching, 'cause it isn't Romeo and Juliet. Calling R&J a "classic revenge tale" is about like calling Friday the 13th a "classic fan service piece." While it may have some such elements, describing it like that is missing the entire point.

If I didn't already know the story this is (loosely) based on, I'd badly want to see Romeo and Juliet be together at the end. They have established both characters well enough (especially Juliet) that to see them fail and die would be gut-wrenching. Even if I didn't find it to be a great show so far, I'd watch it out just to see how Gonzo handles that.

And as for the the new character appearing at the end of episode 6? My bet's on that being Paris, the guy that Juliet's father was marrying her off to in the original story. He only had a small role in the play (and was mostly or totally cut out of movie versions) but I could see a definite place for him here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lazybastard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Oops, sorry. I was referring to the Count of Monte Cristo there Key.

Key wrote:

And as for the the new character appearing at the end of episode 6? My bet's on that being Paris, the guy that Juliet's father was marrying her off to in the original story. He only had a small role in the play (and was mostly or totally cut out of movie versions) but I could see a definite place for him here.

I wouldn't bet on that. So far it would appear that the role of Romeo and Juliet is reversed in this anime. With Juliet actively seeking out Romeo; and Romeo acting the role of the love-struck maiden. Laughing Hell, come to think of it, Romeo's already got that unwanted fiance.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I don't think so; the role of Paris has been given to Hermione. If I had to guess, this new character might be Tybalt as that is the only major character that has been left out so far; but if it is Tybalt, he's going to be in a drastically different role. Then again, he might just be one of those twists that Gonzo's throwing in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6