• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Survey: Reactions to Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua-Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
An open letter to ANN from a fan who is sick and tired of being treated like I am somehow responsible for this mess…

This debate is getting tired, old, and absolutely STUPID. Fansubs were around before the Great Anime Rush of the 1990's, and they DID NOT keep shows like DBZ, Kenshin, etc...from selling well. In fact, you could argue that the fansubs of those shows helped boost the industry. I saw a fansub of Kenshin and fell in love on the spot. I now own just about all the DVDs. Basically I bought what I wanted, and felt free to omit the parts of the series I didn’t need to revisit.

Look guys, if a show STINKS I have no intention of buying it, nor am I just going to go out and buy a 50 disc set, just because somebody licensed the show. I like what I like, and I buy what I want to invest my time, energy, and money on – period. To be perfectly candid here, I keep getting the sense that the industry is punishing fans for watching fansubs. We have become the bad guys in a war that shouldn’t really exist to begin with. Do I support bootleg rings, not at all, and I draw a distinction between bootleggers and fansubers.

The average Fansuber is just a regular fan, he or she might even be an above average language student looking to gain an edge by working on translation. I doubt the folks at any of the more well known sub groups wants to put Greg Ayers out of a job, or take food off Gen Fukunaga’s table. So to suggest there is anything nefarious behind fansubs is just plain silly.

It’s time for everyone involved to step up and be accountable.

Do I take responsibility for being a part of the fansub problem? Yep, and I do so proudly. I get my fix of Naruto and Bleach every week, I’m even hooked on Gundam 00 (I can’t wait for DVD’s to drop!) In fact, Fansubs saved me, and my wallet, on numerous occasions. They kept me from buying shows like Basilisk, Black Cat, Air Gear, E's Otherwise, Getbackers, etc…(Please do not start with me. if you liked any of the above mentioned shows that’s ok, I’m happy for you, but I didn’t.)

Let’s get real here for a minuet-the Anime industry in the US has become so bloated, and so full of itself that an implosion was bound to happen. Did we really need two dedicated Anime networks from two separate competitors? We have Cartoon Network, and the folks there have always given Anime a shot – why not pool the resources, and put together a solid block of programming that would showcase the best series from all the major US distro companies…Instead, millions of dollars were pumped into separate linear networks that turned into a waste. Then there is the case of dubs gone wild- folks I love watching a good dub, and I am glad that Anime has allowed some very talented actors to get the recognition they deserve. However, the money being spent on English voice talent for a series that is NEVER going to see a US broadcast could be spent elsewhere. Meaning –don’t spend the money to dub it, if it ain’t gonna be on TV. I’m good with the original language track – it is called Japanese Anime. Lastly, not every series that gets put on TV in Japan is worth the money it takes to bring it across the Pacific, but that’s just common business sense. I mean honestly, most of the series picked up for distro here in the states over the past two years were just BAD.
There is no rule stating that Ninjas, and Samurai will equal good writing, or quality production. Also there is no rule stating that shows built around big robots, and girls with equally big mouths and chests, are entertaining, or funny for that matter.

The bottom line is, I will open my wallet when I choose to do so, and I will watch fansubs when I choose to do so. If something sparks my interest enough, I will invest in it once it gets picked up. I use my iMac for other things too, and have no need for a dedicated Anime server, when I’ve got a TV and DVD player. Let’s stop playing this ridiculous blame game, and start looking for solutions. The average hardcore Anime fan has been around for years-we are not in our teens-and we know what we want. It’s time for the industry to take five seconds to get over itself, and then listen.

Freaking Thank-you, you said in a calm manner what I get to riled to say at times.

Genon fans are pointing fingers saying "You downloaders killed my anime company, I hate you." When if you step back and look at it, is that what killed Geneon? Well? They don't know do they? They just want to blame some one and fansubbers are sitting ducks.
If that's the case, why hasn't Bandai, ADV, ect killed over, they have more licenced anime than Geneon did, and people have downloaded just as much of their films as they have any others. Hell Naruto and Bleach see more downloads than most shows and they are going strong in the US still... so where is your logic behind fansubs kill companies now?

And what about the manga companies? Their product is avaiable to veiw on websites with out downloading, but I haven't heard any manga people bitching and complaining that we have killed "their"
company.
The reason fan subbing exists is because it fills a void that the American anime industry ignores. Plain and simple.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:
Am I the only one who found this interesting?

The comparison between those two questions was the central reason I made that survey.

The rest was just added as an after thought.

So to answer your question, I find it interesting Smile

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
An open letter to ANN from a fan who is sick and tired of being treated like I am somehow responsible for this mess…

Umm, this survey has nothing to do with the cause of this mess. It's related to the outcome of this mess.

Furthermore, ANN's writers have placed as much, or more blame for this mess on the companies as on the fans. Most* of us agree with the position outlined in Justin Sevakis's open letter that states the industry is ultimately responsible by failing to give fans what they want.

Most* of us also agree that the manner in which you consume fansubs, as a method to determine what you like, leading to you only buying what you like, is completely legitimate as long as legal and accessible methods to do the same don't exist.

In short, I really see no point whatsoever in your open letter.

Perhaps you'd like to re-think your letter a bit, or address it to someone who places the lion's share of the blame on fans?

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network

*ANN itself has no opinion or stance on this or any other issue. ANN's writers have a variety of stances, and when I say "most writers" I do not necessarily speak for all writers at ANN.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:

But you didn't pay for the entire series. I agree that companies shouldn't just drop off but it happens and you're still stealing if you download it. It sucks, the only thing you cand do is pressure licensing companiesm, that is from the legal standpoint.

Just stop. I'd rather not get into a fansub debate either, but fansubbing is NOT, nor has it EVER BEEN "stealing". Stealing, according to m-w.com, means "1: to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice".

When viewing a fansub, no property is removed from anyone, everything is left in it's proper place.

Viewing fansubs is of questionable legality, but, if anything, it's a copyright violation, nothing more than that.

The industry just throws around terms like "theft" and "stealing" because it sounds bigger and more imposing than "copyright violation", or "unauthorized viewing/duplication". It's a bit like the "war on terror", or the "war on drugs", but of which are preposterous if you think about what those words mean in relation to each other, but it sounds nice in a dogmatic speach.

So, basically, oppose fansubs if you like, but at least get your terminology right.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:
Past wrote:
But I am not mad at Geneon or Dentsu persay, I'm more mad at the fans and certain elements of the industry as a whole for the shallow excuses to not buy DVDs and overlooking what now I see fansubs as a detriment to the industry and fandom. This is why now I am anti-fansub and dedicated to expressing my views about piracy and how fansubs are associated with it that so many people seem to ignore.

I'm sorry, but I need to interject here and clear something up. You actually find fault with the consumer base for the poor management and distribution methods of a company? You are actually willing to say that it is the consumers duty to sit there and (to borrow a prison term) "take it" from these companies with their overly priced, little substance DVD's and archaic methods of delivery (plus presumably complete aversion to digital means of distribution that don't give the consumer the you-know-what end of the stick)? Let me fill you in on a simple business idea:

If a company fails, it is its own fault.

Please refrain from interjecting when you have such a bloated view of a proper business model. If you are going to talk business models I suggest reading Sevakis' letter that Tempest linked to the post above mine. There's a business model for you; once an anime production becomes available for download its value essentially becomes $0.00. How are companies supposed to profit from that? Well we all know there are aspects to DVDs you can't get from downloading an episode; extras, nice artwork, goodies, a physical item to put on your shelf. Oh and this thread was filled with people complaining about prices of DVDs as justification that fansubs are a way to increase their "informed consumer" ability. That disgusts me. In the early days of Pioneer a typical LD with 2 episodes cost between $30-40. VHS tapes had 2 price structures depending on whether you wanted dubbed or subbed. Of course the dubbed ones were cheaper even though they cost more to produce. Profit margins of dubbed tapes were acceptable because these were marketed to the casual anime fans who made up a larger proportion of the consumer base than the ones who bought laserdiscs (the dedicated fan). And all this worked fine and dandy when you actually had to spend a little money and take some time and effort to even get a fansub.

So when people complain about paying $20 or more for a DVD, all the while taking for granted how GOOD they have it with 4 or more episodes per SKU, with features that vastly outdo the truly archaic media formats, I have to say those people have NO RIGHT to call themselves fans. And why do so many of the complaints center around poor dubbing also? Dubbing is around for the SAME REASON VHS tapes were dubbed; because the casual fan prefers it and makes up a larger proportion of the consumer market. Doesn't the typical "in the know" fan prefer subs, and more likely be one to invest in series they like by buying DVDs? So then why should bad dubbing pertain to them and influence their buying decisions? Think about it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
Having never downloaded anime I find the hiatus rather annoying since I was in the middle of Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Karin, Saiunkokou, Shounen Onmyouji, and When They Cry. Considering that I bought over 40 new releases from Geneon last year there seems to be fewer titles that I'm following at the moment.

I'm most likely going to buy Black Lagoon 2 from the UK once MVM catches up to Geneon's release. I hope that they will also license out the other titles listed above.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
I scanned very briefly over the entirety of this thread...

I have to say, starting off with that first question made me question the depth to the type of results the poll will receive..

For example, the first one seems like a pretty loaded question with black and white to the fansub realm...for example I do download licensed fansubs on the rare occasion, it also coincides with me wanting a digital copy of them for use when I'm not in the same region as my DVDs...and it works wonders actually, especially when I'm too lazy to encode my own rips.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Most people value music, movies and anime so much that they won't pay for it. They obviously attribute very little value to whatever it is they've downloaded because they couldn't wait for the release or couldn't shell out the relatively small amount of cash to buy the product they are now enjoying for free.

Have you ever stopped to think, especially if you believe in the concept of the free market, that maybe the ACTUAL value of those movies and music is 0?
Perhaps what has happened is that a complete oversaturation of media of ALL sorts in today's youth has so devalued the concept of any video or audio media that it truly IS worthless. No matter how much one cracks down on pirates, or markets in new ways, or changes their business strategy, perhaps the free market has spoken, and decided that the new generation will not pay for media, period.

It seems like you are blaming this on the availability of illegal downloads, but I suspect that it's the generic oversaturation of media in our lives itself.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
I personally don't download anime at all. At the end of the day, my reason for doing so isn't legal or technical; my conscience won't stay quiet while I watch a product people labored for months over without compensating them. Even if it's something I end up not enjoying, I've still watched it, the same way I can't demand a refund for a game I've played or a song I downloaded off iTunes. The creators deserve their money whether I liked it or not.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
In the early days of Pioneer a typical LD with 2 episodes cost between $30-40. Yeah, and VHS tapes had 2 price structures depending on whether you wanted dubbed or subbed. Of course the dubbed ones were cheaper even though they cost more to produce. Profit margins of dubbed tapes were acceptable because these were marketed to the casual anime fans who made up a larger proportion of the consumer base than the ones who bought laserdiscs (the dedicated fan). And all this worked fine and dandy when you actually had to spend a little money and take some time and effort to even get a fansub.

So when people complain about paying $20 or more for a DVD, all the while taking for granted how GOOD they have it with 4 or more episodes per SKU, with features that vastly outdo the truly archaic media formats, I have to say those people have NO RIGHT to call themselves fans.

Times change. Saying things used to be worse really isn't an arguement to claim that now anything that is at all better should be good enough. Also, you need to keep in mind how much the fanbase has grown. Anime is no longer the super niche foreign import product it once was. The majority of fans are no longer super dedicated people who are just happy to be getting anything at all. Sorry if that "disgusts" you but it's the reality of anything moving from a super niche product to a more mainstream one. If companies want the profits of this larger fanbase they must also adapt to cater to that larger fanbase.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
Since I was RIGHT in the middle of Higurashi (ie, just before the Answer Arcs) I have three options.

a) Stop and wait for someone to licence and release the rest of the series

b) Download the rest of the show from the internet

c) Buy the R2's

There's NO WAY in hell I would EVER choose option a just be fair to the industry. My conscience is telling me to go watch the show NOW.

I'm going to go with b since it allows me to watch the show RIGHT NOW (well......still have to wait one hour to download)

But, here's the kicker: I've just ordered the missing episodes on DVD from Playasia, so I'm also going with option c.

Now, my question is: How fair is the way I handeled this situation? I don't mean how LEGAL, I mean how FAIR.

*This situation is actually just theoretical*
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm a "collector" so I have to have the DVDs even if I've seen the show several times as fansubs. I was right in the middle of WHEN THEY CRY, KARIN, and LAW OF UEKI, and I was expecting them to eventually release the STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW and SHANA ovas, the SHANA movie and SHANA II. These days I think I'm more into collecting anime figures though--I'm a lifelong toy geek.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Viewing fansubs is of questionable legality

Ohoni wrote:
So, basically, oppose fansubs if you like, but at least get your terminology right.

But fansubs aren't of "questionable" legality. Whether or not you agree with using them, they are incontrovertibly illegal.

What was that you were saying about getting the terminology right?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:

But fansubs aren't of "questionable" legality. Whether or not you agree with using them, they are incontrovertibly illegal.

What was that you were saying about getting the terminology right?

They're incontrovertibly actionable, but the actual legality is a bit gray, at least so far as the viewing of them goes. It doesn't stop companies from bringing suits, and it doesn't stop the victims form folding under the pressure of a corperate machine, but so far nobody has challenged the issue strongly enough to really varify it one way or the other.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Though I'm against downloading fansubs (especially shows that have been licensed already) ...this survey still is a WTF factor to me....shouldn't there be an "I'm not sure" or "neutral" thing to some of these questions....?

I haven't taken the survey yet, but who...made this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9