• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree with clunky exposition. only for the first episode and 6th episode when sola-ui circles around kayneth and lancer.

All other conversation scenes were ok. Characters seem well animated (not just visually) too when speaking (especially assassin's gestures and caster's voice).

It seemed to be a satisfactory effort for a light novel adaptation.

Backgrounds and fight scenes were pretty, but not the most fast paced choreography I've witnessed.

Not the best 6 episodes of animation I've ever witnessed, but rating it lower than tenjou tenge and memories of nobody does not seem justifiable.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Like I always say You can't trust ANN reviews.
This place is only good for anime news.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I just think the series needed to be 50 episodes instead of 25 so they could have paced it better.

Episodes 1-24
Episodes 25-49
Episode 50

That's how I'm viewing it anyway.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'd like to thank all the Type-Moon superfans for being fairly reasonable so far. I can't reply to everything you guys said about the Type-Moonverse, but I understand better now what their style is all about. For the record, I enjoyed Tsukihime ~decently~ ... although I was just a young-and-upcoming fan at the time who liked everything anyway. I also recall reading the first part of the Kara no Kyoukai novel in Faust, and enjoying the atmosphere although I also felt everyone was just babbling about metaphysical crap. (The Type-Moon trademark!)

Upon further examination of my conscience, I think my incredibly averse reaction to early Fate/Zero is not just the excessive exposition and dialogue, but that it combines elements like magic, battle, complex interwoven plots, and emo self-introspection ... in other words, Pretentious Weeaboo Things that wannabe fantasy authors and OEL manga artists do.

It's just that Type-Moon and Mr. Urobuchi are very talented and successful weeaboos who have figured out how to tap into their target audience's tastes.

dtm42 wrote:
Usually when people use the word "redeem" they imply that a mistake was made right. Are you saying that you regret the grades you gave? Because the rest of your post says the opposite. Sorry, I know it's a joke from the emoticon, but I had to at least ask.

I meant "redeem" in the sense that, I have presently acquired the dishonor of being "That Bastard Who Didn't Like Fate/Zero", and then when I review the latter part I will become "The Person Who Showered It With Praise After Realizing How Good It Is After All."

All exactly according to plan.

dtm42 wrote:
I'm no rabid fanboy, I'm a Type-Moon hater, one who has been enjoying Fate/Zero a lot more than with many shows this season. You may not like the series and its direction thus far but you have overreacted in your grades for it. The show has many flaws, I'm not disputing that. But none of them individually - or even all of them collectively - are so bad as to warrant the extreme prejudice you have laid upon it.

Fair enough. you have given a well-thought-out explanation of why my grading is a steaming pile. Let me say this, in the category of "Art" I consider things like "Is it strikingly designed? Is it innovative or memorable in some way?" I think it only accomplishes that about half the time -- a C+. The series is very well-animated on a technical level, so I give it the high Animation grade, but as far as the creative aspect -- Art and Design -- it looks to me like any other Shiny Action Anime With Supernatural Elements In The Modern World.

Same for music, it strikes me as being awesome only about half the time (the fight scenes), therefore, C.

Let's agree to disagree.

Megiddo wrote:
Would you give the first 6 eps of Moribito a D in terms of story?

I would say B- or B.

Megiddo wrote:
You complaints are ridiculous. You cannot possibly claim that '100% everything' has been explained or foreshadowed already unless you have read the Fate/Zero novels.

But I didn't. I said it tries to shove 100% of everything in my face, or what I perceive to be 100%. Of course I don't know what's coming, but it feels like everything is coming all at once.

I AM rating by "the content I was told," and my rating is, there's too much content.

Kicksville wrote:
By the way, is the "best enjoyed by those who have already seen (or played) the original Fate/stay night" based on being familiar with Fate/Stay Night yourself or an assumption?

I've seen some of the F/SN anime (didn't finish) and tried the manga. Didn't like it enough to keep going. I dunno, I just figure the fans who "accept" the Fate universe and know the system would have an easier time understanding this story, as opposed to dumbheads like me who keep having to rewind when people say confusing/abstract things to each other.

dxthegreat wrote:
Not the best 6 episodes of animation I've ever witnessed, but rating it lower than tenjou tenge and memories of nobody does not seem justifiable.

TT gets a plus for being over-the-top ridiculous, and Memories of Nobody well I'm just a wackadoodle Bleach stan who eats anything Kubo poops on my plate (also still following the anime after all these years). But HONESTLY I am not a review-writing robot (I know this comes as a shock Razz), and whoever dragged up that list, the idea that my standards would still be exactly the same NOW as in a review from 2, 5, 7 years ago is silly.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my incomprehensible logic, I'll see ya when the later episodes get reviewed (whether I end up doing them or someone else does).

((And thank you for nobody shouting "Well they should have gotten a ~true~ fan of the Fate series to review this so it would get the automatic A that it deserves"))
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
I am sorry but I disagree with this review almost entirely. I will agree that the music and animation budget are aimed mostly at the battle scenes, however I still think it is animated well enough in these things. the backgrounds add to the atmosphere of the series in my opinion. also a C is a WAY TO HARSH!!!!!!!!!!

Also I have not seen Fate/stay night, and I have seen the first 5 garden of sinners movies, that is all I have seen of type moon and I like a lot of the garden of sinners movies. but I would not call my self a type moon fan boy by any means.

I like the concept but also the fact that (so far) it can bring home great action scenes that actually have a reason to them. so many action shows now a days skimp on the reasoning, which is why fate zero is so refreshing. also I have to say that while riders master is comic relief, he has a reason for his actions, and what he wants to do with the holy grail (episode 2 right after the intro, the reviewer probably needs to watch that part again to catch that scene). also caster's master needs a reason for the grail as well since otherwise the grail would never have chose him, I am going to guess it has something to do with why he has been killing.

In the end I am going to stand behind Bamboo's review of this series and say it is the second best series of the season and the best action show of the season if not the year.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
But Patachu, why does the art have to be striking or memorable just to get a non-mediocre grade? What about if it is just competently done with few flaws? I feel like your definition of "average" is nowhere near my definition of "average".

Even by your own standards you're being harsh. Let me put it mathematically speaking. If like you say the art is only great half of the time and merely normal/average for the other half, then that gives 90/100 (great art) + 60/100 (normal art) = 150/200, which is at the 75% mark. Not what I'd consider a C+, if you know what I mean. That's a B or even a B+ right there.

I'm glad you responded and at least tried to engage in conversation in the Talkback thread - unlike a certain other controversial reviewer - but I'm not getting the feeling you are aware of just how flawed your ratings are. If you haven't liked the show thus far then hey, that's okay. But you've penalised and marked it down for things that it did alright in, just because you had an adverse reaction to the work as a whole.

A comparative example would be if I reviewed Avatar (a movie I hated largely for plot and theme reasons, not to mention the headaches from the 3D) and said the cinematography and visuals and music were all mediocre. That's just not true, the movie did do those things very well. Fate/Zero may not be as ground-breaking in terms of visuals as Avatar was, but hopefully my point is clear.

Anyway, you want me to agree to disagree with you on this one, and it isn't a hard request to fulfil. But I will be watching future reviews of this show very closely, though from what you have said you probably want it that way.

Peace.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Upon further examination of my conscience, I think my incredibly averse reaction to early Fate/Zero is not just the excessive exposition and dialogue, but that it combines elements like magic, battle, complex interwoven plots, and emo self-introspection ... in other words, Pretentious Weeaboo Things that wannabe fantasy authors and OEL manga artists do.

I personally feel that peculiar personal preferences like averse reactions to "magic, battle" is something worth noting in the review. Complex interwoven plots are common in many anime I've revered... like Baccano for one. "Emo self-introspection" can be annoying, but would not repulse me or anyone i know.

The last sentence and the paragraph after it is a somewhat effective troll. Prospective trolls should learn from this guy. They'll get their own bridge to hide under in no time.

tl;dr: It might be useful for the reader to include in your review personal peculiarities which greatly affect your outlook on the show you're reviewing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Even by your own standards you're being harsh. Let me put it mathematically speaking. If like you say the art is only great half of the time and merely normal/average for the other half, then that gives 90/100 (great art) + 60/100 (normal art) = 150/200, which is at the 75% mark. Not what I'd consider a C+, if you know what I mean. That's a B or even a B+ right there.

I've been out of school for a while now but I doubt that the basic standards have changed.

0-59% - F

60-69% - D

70-79% - C

80-89% - B

90-100% - A

So yes, 75% is a C. Hell, he was generous giving it a C+ - a harsh teacher would give you just a C. I don't know what country you live in or what you have going on there but both Carlo and I live in the US, and that's the basic system.

Quote:

I'm glad you responded and at least tried to engage in conversation in the Talkback thread - unlike a certain other controversial reviewer - but I'm not getting the feeling you are aware of just how flawed your ratings are. If you haven't liked the show thus far then hey, that's okay. But you've penalised and marked it down for things that it did alright in, just because you had an adverse reaction to the work as a whole.

Or maybe you're just a little too obsessed with grades and numerical scores and should instead read what was written and not freak out because something you love should've gotten a B instead of a C+. You didn't give birth to Fate/Zero, you didn't put it through the best preschools and pay a ton of money to give it piano lessons even though you knew it was too young to handle piano lessons. It's just a show you like and some guy gave it a C+ instead of a B, and there isn't any reason for you to be upset about that. It's just a show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
I just thought it was hilarious that the first Bleach movie got a higher overall score. Rolling Eyes
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:

Or maybe you're just a little too obsessed with grades and numerical scores and should instead read what was written and not freak out because something you love should've gotten a B instead of a C+. You didn't give birth to Fate/Zero, you didn't put it through the best preschools and pay a ton of money to give it piano lessons even though you knew it was too young to handle piano lessons. It's just a show you like and some guy gave it a C+ instead of a B, and there isn't any reason for you to be upset about that. It's just a show.

i find this conversation very amusing...

"omg your ratings are flawed"
"omg *changes conversation focal point* no!! you're just obsessing too much"
next time on troll wars:
"omg *changes focal point back* no, your ratings are just flawed!!"

sry guys. I'm trademarking troll wars. It's mine.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
dxthegreat wrote:

i find this conversation very amusing...

"omg your ratings are flawed"
"omg *changes conversation focal point* no!! you're just obsessing too much"
next time on troll wars:
"omg *changes focal point back* no, your ratings are just flawed!!"

sry guys. I'm trademarking troll wars. It's mine.

You suddenly find this all very amusing and distance yourself from it after telling the writer that he should announce to you how his brain works differently from yours upfront in the text of his review, detailing exactly how it is he disagrees with you so you don't ever have to bother reading an opinion that doesn't jive with yours 1:1.

You're the rational one here, for sure, man.

Megiddo wrote:
I just thought it was hilarious that the first Bleach movie got a higher overall score. Rolling Eyes

The scores aren't relative to one another. Carlo's score for the Bleach movie he reviewed years ago has nothing to do with his score for the first 6 episodes of this show. You think that's "hilarious" because you haven't given a moment's thought to how critics grade things. You point to something from 2005 or 2007 without even attempting to think about how maybe all of that is contextual.

Keep scoring those cheap shots, I guess.

Last edited by Zac on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
I said peace to Carlo, and yet you have to have a swipe.

Zac wrote:
So yes, 75% is a C. Hell, he was generous giving it a C+ - a harsh teacher would give you just a C. I don't know what country you live in or what you have going on there but both Carlo and I live in the US, and that's the basic system.

Hmm, so half the Anime ever made - and by extension, half the Anime reviewed on this site - should get an E or F. Whoops, sorry, more than half, sixty-four percent. Yes, generally the better shows will be licensed, and generally the better licensed shows will be reviewed, but that's still a lot of "missing" F and D grade Anime.

If your reviewers can't even properly apply your own culture's grading systems to the shows they review then do not lecture me about it, bring it up with them.

As an aside, at the university I went to, D is anything between 40% and 49% inclusive, C is 50% and still a passing grade, and to get an A+ you only need 85%. The difference is we almost never use multi-choice and allocate more marks for the harder questions. So a person who knows the fundamentals of the material but have yet to master it might only get fifty or sixty percent but they would still pass. Different stokes for different folks.

Zac wrote:
Or maybe you're just a little too obsessed with grades and numerical scores and should instead read what was written and not freak out because something you love should've gotten a B instead of a C+.

I did read the review, and I took umbrage with Carlo's grades not matching up to the tone of his review.

Tell me, instead of defending the grades, have you ever thought about not defending the grades? Carlo made the decision to award the grades he did, and you interfering in that process would be unethical. So I'm not saying you should change the grades.

But, that doesn't mean you yourself have to defend the grades either. They're not your grades, they're Carlo's, and I do not see why as his editor you feel you have to defend him. He's an adult, let him explain his reasons instead of you acting like his heavy.

Zac wrote:
It's just a show.

You like bringing out this argument to deflect criticism. Yet, it completely ignores the fact that to many in your target audience Anime is one of their biggest hobbies, and therefore it actually means something to them when someone criticises what titles they like. Especially if they perceive the titles in question to being unfairly criticised.

As you are in this industry, Anime might mean nothing more than a job to you, and that's fine. Although, listening to you on ANNCast it seems like you do get invested in Anime. But to the people out there who watch and buy Anime because we like it, as in really like it, Anime actually is important. I believe that dismissing our feelings out of hand and chastising us for getting upset over "just a show" is not a nice way to treat the bread-and-butter of the visitors to this site, especially when the advertising revenue we generate for you pays your salary. No, I'm not demanding "customer satisfaction", but you could show some tact.

Also, I'd like to hear what Justin would say if you told him that Satoshi Kon's works were "just movies", and that he shouldn't get so enthused with them.

Now, you've said your bit, I've said mine, can we move on?

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 am; edited 4 times in total
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
While the words for review is fair enough (except for...later), but I do agree that the score is indeed, too low. I don't care about the school scoring system, but I did find it too low, based by comparing it to other reviews.

1. I get it that F/Z may not be suited to reviewer's taste. I know, review is subjective, but letting it being too subjective...I am sure it will provoke a lot of people who enjoyed it. I'm sure that you must know the risk for that.

2. I felt that some things are getting over-exaggerated already. Especially that infamous walking-in-circle-while-talking scene. It begin to felt like you try to nitpick too much so you can justify the poor scoring. (Again,compared to other reviews)

I wonder what will they score to most of average to below anime series right there. For an effort to bring real "quality" shows despite of tons of trash anime, I feel that this effort is not appreciated at all.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
announce to you how his brain works differently from most people

Just a quick fix.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I said peace to Carlo, and yet you have to have a swipe.

You said "peace" after asserting your position and leaving no room for rebuttal. I "have to have a swipe" for reasons I can't say in polite company.

Quote:

Hmm, so half the Anime ever made - and by extension, half the Anime reviewed on this site - should get an E or F. Whoops, sorry, more than half, sixty-four percent. Yes, generally the better shows will be licensed, and generally the better licensed shows will be reviewed, but that's still a lot of "missing" F and D grade Anime.

If your reviewers can't even properly apply your own culture's grading systems to the shows they review then do not lecture me about it, bring it up with them.

As an aside, at the university I went to, D is anything between 40% and 49% inclusive, C is 50% and still a passing grade, and to get an A+ you only need 85%. The difference is we almost never use multi-choice and allocate more marks for the harder questions. So a person who knows the fundamentals of the material but have yet to master it might only get fifty or sixty percent but they would still pass. Different stokes for different folks.

All of our critics live in the US and generally grade based on the system I told you about before, which is derived on what is common in American schools. D and F grades are saved for the things that truly suck. I don't really care that a 49% is a passing grade in Denmark or wherever it is you live, that's a big fat F here. We're not going to change the system to what suits you. You'll live, I'm sure.

Quote:

I did read the review, and I took umbrage with Carlo's grades not matching up to the tone of his review.

Tell me, instead of defending the grades, have you ever thought about not defending the grades? Carlo made the decision to award the grades he did, and you interfering in that process would be unethical. So I'm not saying you should change the grades.

But, that doesn't mean you yourself have to defend the grades either. They're not your grades, they're Carlo's, and I do not see why as his editor you feel you have to defend him. He's an adult, let him explain his reasons instead of you acting like his heavy.

I'm not defending Carlo. I'm telling you why your reasoning sucks. Also, you have no idea what is and isn't ethical for an editor to do because you aren't one, so spare me your fake rules for a job you've never had.

But this response is more about how you don't want to have to deal with me when you're telling my writers just why it is they suck so hard for giving a show you like a C+ instead of a B-.

I defend, and you know that. Somewhere inside of you, deep in your heart, you understand that.

Quote:

You like bringing out this argument to deflect criticism. Yet, it completely ignores the fact that to many in your target audience

You don't know what my target audience is.

Quote:

As you are in this industry, Anime might mean nothing more than a job to you, and that's fine. Although, listening to you on ANNCast it seems like you do get invested in Anime. But to the people out there who watch and buy Anime because we like it, as in really like it, Anime actually is important. I believe that dismissing our feelings out of hand and chastising us for getting upset over "just a show" is not a nice way to treat the bread-and-butter of the visitors to this site, especially when the advertising revenue we generate for you pays your salary. No, I'm not demanding "customer satisfaction", but you could show some tact.

You're being nice here and I appreciate that so I'll just say that the tact train goes both ways, pardner. And it is just a show. Just a cartoon, just a movie, just a book, just a whatever. There's no reason to take it all so personally. Be passionate, love what you love, that's great. But the moment you decide that someone giving something a C+ when you think it deserved a B is your ticket to attack and condescend to that person, you're being an a-hole. Disagree and debate all you want - that's what criticism is for - but fixating on the score and then arguing metrics is pointless, a meaningless distraction. You would've given it a higher score, we get it.

Quote:

Also, I'd like to hear what Justin would say if you told him that Satoshi Kon's works were "just movies", and that he shouldn't get so enthused with them.

I'll tell him that, maybe he'll try to kill me!

Ole~!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6