• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Adds Anime to Crunchyroll Website Today

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand the reasons behind region blocking. I probably have more R1 than R2 DVDs, but I can't view hulu/cr/joost (I think, too) with the reason that I am not the target audience or what?

Or do they have legal reasons to do so? I can only doubt this because I can watch the funimation channel on youtube without any problems - and, for example, Slayers is licensed in Europe, too.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I really don't understand the reasons behind region blocking. I probably have more R1 than R2 DVDs, but I can't view hulu/cr/joost (I think, too) with the reason that I am not the target audience or what?

Or do they have legal reasons to do so? I can only doubt this because I can watch the funimation channel on youtube without any problems - and, for example, Slayers is licensed in Europe, too.
Most sites will cite "Legal" reasions for locking people out of the service, however, with Toei, that just doen't sit right because Three out of the Four shows never realy got much traction and any action they did see was well before streaming was ever an idea.

Slayers can be explained as MVM having the rights as a sub licence from Funi.

Toei can be explained as them not wanting money.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
For some anime, a different licensing body controls the rights in different territories. (Sometimes it's due to, say, Funimation licensing a title, in other cases it's controlled by a different licensor.) In cases like this, internet streaming is unlikely to ever be worldwide, or cover more than one "territory". (The US and Canada are often, but not always, grouped into the same territory in licensing agreements.)

In almost all other cases the licensor is too used to dividing up the world by territories to allow worldwide distribution. Internet streaming is still largely seen as "conceding defeat", mostly because after a title is available for internet streaming in a given territory, it's pretty certain nobody will ever buy a DVD or TV license. Therefore just doing one area at a time is a way to hedge your bets and not give away all the rights you own in one go.

Also, for an ad-supported venture, international ads are much harder to secure. I don't want to speculate as to CR's ad clients, but this is an industry-wide problem. If there's no money to be made in licensing to a certain area, there's no point in doing it (from the licensor's end, at least).

ANN's video player will have these limitations for most of our titles too. Sad fact of life. I know the market wants worldwide, but few companies are there yet. I think we'll get there eventually, but it's going to take a few years.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
That's up and out blake dumb.

Why should a thing that can be accessed world wide with next to zero complication (even a monkey can go online!) be locked in such a draconian mannor?

Oh well, it's back to the great unspeakable for me then, clearly world hates money.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, great news for North America. Now, I can finished purchasing Slam Dunk. The quality of the download is about the same as dvd as far as I am concern. Love Digimon Adventure 2. Never heard of Pretty Cure. Not sure of Fist of the North Star. I 'm glad they are all subtitles instead of dub. Hope Toei will showcase more of their other animes on CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4