• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fields of Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Super Robot Wars Z: Again? Geez, when is this franchise going to die? It's hardly that interesting. It's the same crap over and over again. I guess mecha fans will never get over thinking giant robots are the coolest thing since remote controlled cars.

We will never let our holy genre die, SRW is our foothold in the game world, I just wish the US would get them beyond the OG series and yes, they are cooler than remote controlled cars. Do remember that Super Robots were the spearhead of the Anime Gospel in the 70's and 80's in most of the world, names like Nagai, Nagahama, Tomino, Takahashi and Kawamori among others must never be forgotten. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Dimlos wrote:
Sony really needs to step it up, because I still don't have any reason to own a PS3[...]

Mine is Disgaea 3. I can't really explain why, but all those Atlus/NIS strategy games are completely engrossing to me. And even though Disgaea 3 probably doesn't need to be on PS3, it gives me an excuse to buy one. Smile Hello Blu-Ray

Thank you! Laughing
People can complain that the PS3 is too expensive all they like, but I have found that mine is well worth the money. However, at the same time I have this urge to shank Sony for removing the backward compatibility from the PS3 for no good reason Mad

I'm really looking forward to Valkyria Chronicles. It is a unique concept from Sega when most of their other games these days seems to belly-flop into a pool of muck right out of the package.

And yes, I will be forced to pick up the next Final Fantasy offering simply out of loyalty to the series. Despite the fact that things started going awry after the PSone days, I still think they are managing to tell a decent story. The problem may be that the writers are being fired to make room for the new animators, cause this one looks awesome. Rolling Eyes

Lastly, I gotta get me that maid game Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Cyber Maid Alice was my dose of manic depression for the day.

Fortunately I have another tab open with a Shigeru Miyamoto interview to remind me that really awesome stuff comes from Japan too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

animehermit wrote:
Apparently some people didn't like XII at all, XII was a great game, it was almost like going back to the roots of final fantasy, no more sci-fi overtones, just straight up fantasy, reminded me a lot of VI, which is m favorite in the series. XIII looks amazing as well, and based on what square is telling us, the combat is going to be extremely fast paced, which is nice.
FF12 was an excellent game,animehermit but mainstream can't think for themselves,when it comes to JRPGs.

*Rant at world*

Final Fantasy was never a difficult RPG to begin with.Part 1-6:You begin your story,walk anywhere you want,explore the continent with an airship,follow the story,level up (if you got stuck),learn the magic names and effects,what they effected and what they didn't.It was great.

FF7 hit and suddenly we get a flood of nube's coming in going,"where is FF 2,3 and 4?","Why doesn't Final Fantasy connect or continue?"and,"FF7 is the greatest game ever!" Ok,maybe in 1997 but it doesn't hold up now,it's over.It was the jump to the PSX from the SNES.Though you could still fly around in 3D and level up anywhere.You could have an entertaining 60 hr RPG ahead of you.But,you did have to think for yourself.Vincent and Yuffie were extra,and you actually had to go out of your way to find them.

spoiler[ FF7 is when Tetsuya Nomura (Bouncer,Kingdom Hearts 1+2,FFX,FFX-2) came in as an artist.Making everyone's favorite FF cast,and (the father of FF) Hironobu Sakaguchi's mother died,while he was making FF7.In case you didn't realize what was behind the life lesson,the mother talk and why Aeris dies.He put his direct feelings into the game.(more than usual) That was also when EA and Square were together. ]

FF8 hit (another game where you had to think for yourself) and,"waah,waah,waah,it's not like FF7". FF9 hit (another think for yourself title) we get more "waah,waah,waah,it's not like FF7"

FFX hit and "ahhh finally,no more thinking" Oh,what? What's that? Oh,yes. We even dubbed the spoken dialogue to cut down on the reading,we know people hate to read.We also knocked down the hours to about 30,as well as the difficulty,to appease to those who have no experience with RPG's.And you won't get confused any more because we simplified the map,so that you could just point to where you want to go,and you're there. Exploration? No,we just threw in a rail system with a mini map.Forward or backward,you couldn't possibly get lost now.Quick and easy,just like you like it.

FFX-2,the first FF sequel. (the GB ones are SAGA,not FF) More refined garbage that offered fan pandering,as well as the great job system from,FF3 and FF5.Yay.I could go off into spin-off heaven right now,but I'm talking about FF.

FFXI got caught up in the MMO craze at the time,as single player fans fresh off of FF Tactics Advance looked around for something to do.Square was busy.So Atlus hooked'em up.IMO,FFXI's expansions got out of hand.Way out of hand.

FFXII came back with the warring universe of Ivalise (FF Tactics,Vagrant Story,and Tactics Advance] and some of the battle system from FFXI.I think a lot of people don't like it because you are in control of everything again?(You can always choose not to be though) Maybe it's because the old school fans embraced it? I enjoyed it because,the less Nomura the better,and it was flat out fun.Unfortunately,thanks to him and his fans,FF will forever be dumbed down because that's what they wanted.Especially now that SquareEnix merged,and Sakaguchi left to make Mistwalker Studios.Nothing exciting is going on.No more must haves,beside the spoon fed 3 parter.

That's my opinion though.Just ignore it.People like what they like, and hate what they hate,but If you look around right now,there are people still questioning the love for FFXII,just as I question the love for anything Nomura touches.To me it's like Square USA taking over and bringing us nothing but FF Mystic Quest,all over again.Don't dumb down our RPG's,Square.

While I do agree with you on most points, when it comes to final fantasy I generally can find a reason to finish each of the titles. X, I liked because of the plot and characters, X-2 because of the battle system. but I agree with you on almost all of the other points you make.
Quote:
I enjoyed FF IIX, but if you think it had no sci-fi overtones you must have kept your eyes closed for a lot of the game.

not really, the airships aren't anymore sci-fi then whats been done before in the series. Although during the air battles i did get a vague Star Wars feeling.

Quote:

Seriously? No...In my humble opinion if there was one thing XII wasn't it was fun. Maybe our definitions of fun just differ though. I define fun in an RPG as having a deep battle system with a variety of features and options to customize. Perhaps you define fun as being able to just sit back (and perhaps enjoy some delicious popcorn) as the game plays itself. I mean yeah, you don't have to just give everyone the strongest weapons and armor and let em automatically beat all the enemies down but lets face facts, it's all you need to do. The hand full of skills are all largely unhelpful and the only magic you need is cure on auto-cast. Enemies are all basically the same in the end and require no special tactics. Anything useful will be bought in stores, not found so there is no point in exploring. Well, I guess there's loot...which you can...sell to buy stuff from stores. Of course if you get bored of the main game you could always go on hunts and fight more generic monsters for more generic loot. Fun fun fun.

Sorry, if you did find XII fun, then good for you. What I can't stand though is when people like you get all arrogant and act like those of us who didn't must just be simpleminded idiots who can't handle anything that isn't spoon fed to us. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I disliked XII precisely because it required no degree of thought to play.

you obviously haven't played enough of the game. A lot of what you said isn't true. It takes a great deal of thought when programming the Gambit system, because one wrong move and you end up dying. Your also forgetting that you don't even have to use the system, you could just set everyone's commands manually. Magic is really important for the last boss of the game(non cure magic, that is) and it is really useful in combat against ranged foes. The hunts lead to some great gear, and an appearance by a series favorite, a rather enjoyable one at that.
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to say that Final Fantasy XII, for all of its faults and Star Wars thievery, is my favorite of the main series. Unless you count Tactics, since I like Tactics even more.

Sardius wrote:
That Cyber Maid Alice video was the best thing I've seen all day, especially the last part.

NOOOO NOT THE DINOSAUR DOOR AGAIN WHY MUST WE DO THIS EVERY DAY

I didn't say anything about that part because I didn't want to ruin the surprise, but now I'm worried that some people got disgusted and stopped watching it halfway through. So I'll say this: Make sure you watch the video to the end.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
you obviously haven't played enough of the game. A lot of what you said isn't true. It takes a great deal of thought when programming the Gambit system, because one wrong move and you end up dying.

The gambit system doesn't do anything. That's part of the problem. The options are so limited that you can't really set it up to do anything complex.

Quote:
Your also forgetting that you don't even have to use the system, you could just set everyone's commands manually.

Yeah but as I said before, the game play boiled down to so many monotonous repetitive actions that was really just worse than using gambits. It didn't help that the menus weren't especially manual friendly either. This actually further reduced the use of magic because it was tricky to use it in any kind of moderation. You either had to repeatedly select it from the menu manually or set it to a gambit which usually amounted to using it all the time.

Quote:
Magic is really important for the last boss of the game(non cure magic, that is) and it is really useful in combat against ranged foes.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I beat him just fine without using any at all. Like most of the enemies, all I had to do was wear him down and keep curing the damage. As for ranged foes: I don't know, I guess a little but it was really easier to just go and attack them directly.

Quote:
The hunts lead to some great gear, and an appearance by a series favorite, a rather enjoyable one at that.

Maybe, I didn't really do that many of them. The problem I found with the gear system is that it's all essentially the same, save added points.

Quote:
When it comes to final fantasy I generally can find a reason to finish each of the titles. X, I liked because of the plot and characters, X-2 because of the battle system. but I agree with you on almost all of the other points you make.

This is something I can agree with. I find FF can often be inconsistent but the games are always decent enough to warrant finishing them. While XII had it's share of problems it at least did have amazing graphics and a great setting and world.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
More great reviews.

So far lots of good RPGs making a comeback. I'm really interested in picking up that 'Ys Book 1 & 2' collection. Never had the chance of playing them. Hmm...I wonder why some didn't like the change. I mean in some games you do have swing your sword to get the jump on enemies. But I guess old-schoolers don't mind a change as long as you don't change it too much.

That 'RIZ-WOARD' game looks really interesting. Definitely keeping my eye on that one. And as a person who never really got into the 'DB' craze, I may have to pick up that 'DB' game.

The new 'FF' games look pretty good. But y'know how 3D graphics are. If you're going to be superealism it never works 100%. You just roll with it while being distracted by other flashy stuff. Personally, I won't be bothering with theses games as I have no intention of owning a PS3 unless there is a reason to. Now 'Valkyria Chronicles' looks like a great game. I love the designs and the cell shading really brings it out the depth in the game. Just goes to show you don't have super realistic graphics to make a good game.

Great column, really enjoying it. Keep it coming.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
I'd just like to say that Final Fantasy XII, for all of its faults and Star Wars thievery...

Funny that you mention that- my boyfriend has a series of AMV-ish clips from 12's cutscenes he's set to Star Wars dialog. We've often said that if we were up to it, we could probably do the entire movie. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I almost forgot to add my thoughts about that 'Cyber Maid Alice'.

<shudder>
Creepy. Damn those crazy Japanese and their crazy ideas. In a way this reminds me of 'Hand Maid May'. Have to admit it's pretty inventive.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
so after watching the vid, i really want Cyber Maid Alice now
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Sorry, if you did find XII fun, then good for you. What I can't stand though is when people like you get all arrogant and act like those of us who didn't must just be simpleminded idiots who can't handle anything that isn't spoon fed to us. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I disliked XII precisely because it required no degree of thought to play.
Well,the auto system was geared towards the masses,but it was still more enjoyable and deeper than all the FF's after IX.

FFX was too simple,X-2 was a fun joke,XI alienated the single player,and XII brought it all back,with a pinch of Ivalise.Granted twelve has it's damn problems,but It was better than the hole,FF was spiraling into.

I understand XII had an awkward battle system and a boring grid system,I could get around that. You could tweak the game to your favor.The only thing that is really different,is that you get to run around real time,waiting for you ATB to fill up,in a single player game.The system is automatic if you don't turn off the gambits.I hear people hated the battle system,all the time.They don't want to adapt,and that's fine.Nomura's on it with the white engine.

XII especially,was a game for the people who liked the world of Ivalise.If anything,we need more of it,but a lot of people spoke out about this game.I'll still praise whatever Nomura doesn't touch.

The XIII 3-parter will go back a simplified system.They can't make games,too complex for the masses.As I said before,IMO,FF was never complex to begin with.

I'm still going to voice my opinion about it though,know why? Because no matter how much I say I won't buy the newest SquareEnix title,there I am,back in line with the rest of you.Enjoying what ever crazy stories SE thinks up next.For better or for worse.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
To add my two cents to the FFXII debate, I found the menus very easily navigable. Never really got lost. The grid system with license points I saw as a nice way to customize your people, although it did take out the fun of having specific classes. And gambits...I loved them. The more range of gambits I received the more I loved the game. It was a nice way to do what I wanted without actually having to do it every single time. If for some reason the gambits got in the way, I just turned them off for that character and manually did it. The gambit system was there for those who wanted to use, and I did because it made battles less monotonous, a plague that I think afflicts a good portion of RPGs. As for magic, the healing was I mostly used, but I also used attack magic quite frequently. I would love to add more of my opinion, but sadly I haven't played the game since the year it came out (and I never did beat it...my PS2 was whisked away at the very point before I reached the final boss), so I'm trying to skirt any in depth details.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Well,the auto system was geared towards the masses,but it was still more enjoyable and deeper than all the FF's after IX.
Quote:
I understand XII had an awkward battle system and a boring grid system,I could get around that. You could tweak the game to your favor.

How so? I've offered detailed reasons why I feel it wasn't but you haven't really offered any specific counter points. Can you be more clear as to how you feel it is deep?

Quote:
The XIII 3-parter will go back a simplified system.They can't make games,too complex for the masses.As I said before,IMO,FF was never complex to begin with.

But you said that the simplicity in the earlier games was great right? But then you turn around and criticize "the masses" because they have forced games to be simplified. You also say that XII is more complex. So basically:
I - VI = simple = good
X and XIII = simple = bad
XII = complex = good
Isn't that a double standard?

As I see it, X's battle system and game play weren't amazingly complex but it was at least fairly fun though which coupled with the excellent graphics and enjoyable story added up to a very enjoyable game. XII however, added up to a very disappointing game despite it's brilliant graphics and great setting due to it's solid but rather disjointed story and extremely hollow game play.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
What I said to animehermit earlier,is FF was dumbed down along the way.More or less when Nomura came around.Everything became more simplified.People didn't have to memorize Spells,what they effected or the locations anymore.You are guided and told what to do.Fun.

In XII,they went out of their way and gave you complete control of the characters,including yours.Show me another Final Fantasy where you can program every bit of the A.I.,then let it do it's thing.Or you can turn off the gambits and do everything manually.The battle system in XII,is more complex than the previous games.But hey,people don't care though,they just want to hit X,and just keep going on the two way path.

People didn't like Vagrant Story's battle system either.What,with hitting a different combination of buttons and all,yuck.It was too complex for them.Doesn't matter though,history shows that Matsuno's work gets pushed to the way side.I'll enjoy it while it lasts but,we'll all be back to making a few decisions per round,on a different battle screen in no time.

I can't argue the exploration side of things anymore,because there isn't any after IX.All XII has is the different battle system going for it.Everything else is more or less the same after X-XI.Mini maps,glowing beacons,dumbed down and one way.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Now that I'm safe within my private quarters I had a look at the video of Cyber Maid Alice in action.
It'll most probably do me no good to say this, but she seemed almost incredibly cute as she received her 'puresento'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5