• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Cartoon Panacea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

About the only western cartoon I'd watch is probably Beast Wars, which was meant to sell toys. Despite it being a commercial, it still manages to tell a 'war story' better than any other American cartoon I've seen, since it actually felt like a war and the characters doing war-like things. And spoiler[Dinobot and Depthcharge's deaths] were handled so much better than any other American cartoon I can think of, mainly since they didn't beat around a bush like every other cartoon does. Granted, they were robots, but still, expecting more is a bit unrealistic due to censorship.

It'd like to note that there are series that deal with actual human death, sometimes to a greater degree than that. For instance, take a recent episode of Young Justice. spoiler[The basic plot revolved around a psychopath that killed his sister with a dagger and buried here in his backyard, all in order to become "pure" and rid himself of human weaknesses. They don't attempt to hide it; the guy has several taxidermy animals in his house, the character indicates he's proud of killing her her, and the rudimentary grave is given focus.] Not that the majority of US cartoons are like this, but there's more than just Beast Wars.

One of the better ones that I recall that's always seem to get bypassed is Exo-Squad, also has memorable death scenes:

Exo Squad takes place sometime in the 22nd century, when Humans have fully terraformed and colonized Venus and Mars. The Neosapiens, an artificially-engineered race, have Turned Against Their Masters and launched an invasion of Earth and Venus.

The story focuses on the ExoFleet, the Homeworlds' space navy, in particular, Able Squad, a group of Exo-frame (Mini Mecha) pilots led by Lieutenant J.T. Marsh.

Exo Squad has been commonly compared to Mobile Suit Gundam, both in quality and the maturity of the themes portrayed in the series. In addition, Will Meugniot himself made a direct comparison to the Gundam series, saying that Gundam is similar to the Pacific Theater of World War II, while Exo Squad is the European Theater. Among animation fans, it's often compared with Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and Avatar: The Last Airbender as an example of how Western animation can be every bit as mature and well-made as the best Anime. Surprising, considering what studio was behind the animation.

Too bad it was cancelled at a cliffhanger, when it was building to a climax! (Hint: the humans were badly outmaneuvered.)

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Alot of members of my anime club, watched avatar, and watch adventure time and my little pony FIM, though if that could happen world wide is doubtful.

I'd say the most well-known animated TV series in the world by laymen and fans alike is The Simpsons, just because of its age and length, it's in many worldwide channels and in rerun syndication for perpetuity, plus the movie grossed $527 million worldwide, with $343 million of that outside the US. Sailor Moon was definitely one of the few anime to capture the whole world by storm, almost simultaneously localized into local languages on national networks.

But yeah, we observed a lot of love for Adventure Time in our latest big convention NYCC/NYAF Fall 2011. Particularly that girl......... Fiona (?)............... the re-imagined protagonist........... who was only in that one WTF! episode, yet most of the A.T. girls were cosplaying her, instead of, say, Princess Bubblegum who is a main character. Laughing

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

glad to hear someone else still remembers the fan sub ethics.
I am glad to hear that people still respect fan subers, to a certain extent, and am really glad people stopped treating them like a witch.

Used to do tape trading, back when ya had to know people semi-personally, they had to like you or someone can vouch for you, and follow the code - just to get a good quality copy, and they could ask you to copy for others to return the favor. Laughing

TitanXL wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Fansubbing is important to give Crunchy some competition. Crunchy wouldn't have made many of the improvements they have done in the last year (upping bitrate, better sub quality, no more hard subs) if they weren't being pressured by fansubs doing their shows better.

This is the main reason monopolies are so horrifying. No real need for the company to change or evolve or even give two craps about their customers when they're the only people around. See: Blizzard and World of Warcraft as of recent months which now has competition so it's actually trying to give their customers some decent content.

Exactly. That's why variety is important, and even Japan at times needs a fire lit on its ass to keep it from going into a semi-rut, thanks to its truly innovative animators.

TitanXL wrote:

I'd think if a show doesn't capture their attention, they won't buy the product.

Not necessarily. We used to have Bakugan and Beyblade players here who haven't watched an episode of the animation. It's the challenge of the games that excited them; they didn't care for the storylines.

TitanXL wrote:

In either way, shoujo manga still seems to do fairly well in the US judging by the charts that get posted.

They tried with W.I.T.C.H. (actually based on Italian comics), but unfortunately for animation, most American girls prefer watching live-action tween/teen shows with girls and handsome boys they like. (Basically, their own version of fanservice.)

Haterater wrote:
Which I guess the question is, are the businesses happy about that if the ratings aren't super high, but still profitable.

When Mattel ended Masters of the Universe prematurely after 2 seasons, though the ratings were good, just because the toys weren't selling enough..............

Haterater wrote:

But for Pokemon, I think the anime just came out just a few weeks before the games, which isn't a huge indication if you have the video game commercials going all out with the show being in syndication at the time, so I'll probably still edge that more towards the games helping the anime moreso.

IIRC, Pokemon started out in syndication, with the first syndicated episode, not the first ep, but that cruise line episode with all 3 of the main characters already. Then the games came out.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
But would ya have sympathy if possibly the Japanese anime industry itself make stupid decisions and run itself into the ground?

"Stupid decisions" isn't my place to say, though I do certainly raise my eyebrows when decisions are made which seems to go against common sense.

Your example only scratches the surface of a much deeper problem in that the internet has changed the face of economics worldwide.

While so many are focused on the medium and distribution, they always tend to forget about the biggest movers of anime: retailers.

Yeah, we always tend to forget about the "gatekeepers" of whether an anime gets the opportunity to succeed or not.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

It's dire in terms of business outside of Japan, but it gets tremendously more difficult when all attempts to try and keep the market from shrinking even further are quelled when the Japanese come back with "No bluray. Tell your customers we're terrified of reverse importation."

Now that's a stupid decision.

Japan is not seeing beyond only what's in front of its face. They're not seeing that by helping out the overseas marketplaces, they're hedging their bet of overly relying on expensive domestic media in the future.

ninjaclown wrote:
So no one has heard of the upcoming Avatar: Legend of Korra,

We've all heard; furthermore...........

Haterater wrote:
Quote:
Is Kim Possible even on anymore?

But they are making a sequel to Avatar, something that they don't really need to do with that logic.

If anything, they should do more of the Avatar super-deformed shorts like "School Time Shipping."

That's what a lot of fans want, given the panel reactions here and here. Laughing

And no, Kim Possible has long ended, except in reruns. Disney usually pairs their currents stars to current shows, and Christy Carlson Romano has moved on.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When Mattel ended Masters of the Universe prematurely after 2 seasons, though the ratings were good, just because the toys weren't selling enough..............

This is what I don't like about some companies. All about the merch stuff. Its possible that if one were to let the show continue on, its possible that the toys could have picked up. I would also imagine commercial ads being profitable for a show with good rating. I just don't understand the minds of business. This is why its so hard to get more different animation out there.

Quote:
If anything, they should do more of the Avatar super-deformed shorts like "School Time Shipping."

That's what a lot of fans want, given the panel reactions here and here. Laughing

I'm surprised they didn't do that. That's good fanservice and could help give spotlight to some characters more. I wish Nick would expand like that. They have more to gain and leeway for more projects. If kids are their main demographic, I can't see why they can't have another Avatar that hit home with kids and older viewers. If they must, that's the key.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
But would ya have sympathy if possibly the Japanese anime industry itself make stupid decisions and run itself into the ground? Laughing

For example, they can only rely on expensive physical media for so long. Eventually, everybody will move on from Blu-rays into whatever new tech comes next. What if that next tech doesn't rely on expensive media? In such crunch, they'd need to be wise about producing a new business model.

So is the argument that production companies haven't changed their model to adapt to the current market, or to some future market you are hoping develops? Trying to say TV doesn't want to play ball anymore, so streaming provides a viable alternative, is one thing. However, I would strongly disagree if you are trying to say streaming is [or as a personal preference, should be] the primary model of consuming media, and not just content producers bowing to the advantages of allowing consumers to time-shift their consumption.
Mark wrote:
I believe the demand for anime and manga in the United States is still very strong and as long as quality products are being produced, we will watch and read them, but I think the idea that we're going to wait months or years for someone to release a product is no longer correct.

I think the fracturing along these lines is what hurts the marketplace in North America most. More accurately, when the companies and consumers believe only one side is correct, and should be catered to, is when the wheels fall off. On the one side are those who value speed, turn-around time, and initial availability more highly. While on the other side are those who value long-term availability, technical qualities that simply are impossible to achieve through streaming, and extra features/content beyond the original broadcast. The only way to make both sides happy at the same time is simuldubcasting with DTO permissions, which is only slightly more likely than having the omnipresent wireless-wideband internet connection necessary to overcome the physical media barrier. Hopefully the anime industry can make peace between the two warring factions in a similar way that the video gaming industry seems to have dealt with the casual/hardcore schism... make selling to both a viable option.

Manga, on the other hand, is a whole different can of worms. It needs to ovecome the drastically different experiences between reading a book and reading an e-book. Then again, a few decades down the road, perhaps fans may not bother reading them anymore. Once you remove the limitations imposed by the medium of a static paper display, why would people bother to consume digital media that doesn't bother to move?
Mike Hazama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mike Hazama wrote:
The recent Lagrange got SLAMMED by a critic here in his preview guide, but you can't honestly say it's still not better and more unique than anything the US is making or has ever made.

Not if you're a Japan humping Weeaboo. Otherwise though...yeah. You actually can.

But I hate pocky so that'll be a hard sell Razz But really, the first five minutes of Lagrange alone you got beautiful artwork and cinematography like that shot of Madoka overlooking the ocean through some trees. The water physics looked amazing and I've never seen water look so awesome out of the Americas. Then you got that cool artsy opening with a great song and visuals that remind me of that Gankutsuo anime. Plus it's an action show which stars an all female cast from what I can tell by the opening which is pretty unique if what I'm reading is right. And there's fanservice. Good fanservice at that. Never seen a cartoon with good fanservice. Kim Possible had triangle boobs. One word, ouch!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:
And there's fanservice. Good fanservice at that. Never seen a cartoon with good fanservice. Kim Possible had triangle boobs. One word, ouch!

Plenty of comics and cartoons based on comics have fanservice. Maybe not the type us anime fans like (its mainly older looking women with big ass lips, and all of those American features), but its there.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well gotta say US based movie companies have gotten it, enough so that they did turn down a rather Patriotic show about black airmen made by George Lucas because they thought it wouldn't resonate with a foreign audience, in which they take in 60% of their current revenue.

One hand, that's Hollywood being Hollywood. The other is 60 freaking percent foreign.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Mike Hazama wrote:
The recent Lagrange got SLAMMED by a critic here in his preview guide, but you can't honestly say it's still not better and more unique than anything the US is making or has ever made.

Not if you're a Japan humping Weeaboo. Otherwise though...yeah. You actually can.

But I hate pocky so that'll be a hard sell Razz But really, the first five minutes of Lagrange alone you got beautiful artwork and cinematography like that shot of Madoka overlooking the ocean through some trees. The water physics looked amazing and I've never seen water look so awesome out of the Americas. Then you got that cool artsy opening with a great song and visuals that remind me of that Gankutsuo anime. Plus it's an action show which stars an all female cast from what I can tell by the opening which is pretty unique if what I'm reading is right. And there's fanservice. Good fanservice at that. Never seen a cartoon with good fanservice. Kim Possible had triangle boobs. One word, ouch!

I haven't seen Lagrange or read the reviews on it in the preview guide, but based on this, there is nothing here that even a little bit makes it seem more original than any "american animation ever." I mean maybe if you're the type who likes to sit mindlessly in front of the tv and watch the pretty pictures and occasional bouncing boobs, this just looks like a case of flash without substance which imo just sounds like a damn shame and a pure and utter waste. And fyi, I could probably name about a dozen shows that had pretty and interesting opening sequences that ended up just being painfully mediocre or outright sub-par shows. Come back and clue me in on the great story, plotting, and characterization that the show has and then maybe I'll care to check it out.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:
And there's fanservice. Good fanservice at that. Never seen a cartoon with good fanservice. Kim Possible had triangle boobs. One word, ouch!

You're not really helping your case with comments like this. Anime is better than any western cartoon ever because boobs? You're not exactly convincing me here that you're in much of a position to judge the quality of anything.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Manga, on the other hand, is a whole different can of worms. It needs to ovecome the drastically different experiences between reading a book and reading an e-book. Then again, a few decades down the road, perhaps fans may not bother reading them anymore. Once you remove the limitations imposed by the medium of a static paper display, why would people bother to consume digital media that doesn't bother to move?

Personally, I wish more manga was available, and a decent price point, on ereaders (the issue with pricing is the same across the board for ebooks though). People will always want to read, even if there are "moving " versions of the work available. The manta and comic industries just need to get on the boat as soon as possible with digitizing their bigger series. I mean, I was buying Black Butler in paperback up till volume 6; but I got a kindle fire in November and I haven't bought a dead-tree book since, including manga. So no more Black Butler-- I'd just rather buy digital books. If it were available as an ebook that I could put on my kindle, I'd have it already. Get on it
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You're not really helping your case with comments like this. Anime is better than any western cartoon ever because boobs? You're not exactly convincing me here that you're in much of a position to judge the quality of anything.

Maybe he's trying to say that anime isn't afraid to have adult stuff like that.

Of course that's not necessarily true. Raise your hand if you've seen either Heavy Metals.
Mike Hazama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Maybe he's trying to say that anime isn't afraid to have adult stuff like that.

Of course that's not necessarily true. Raise your hand if you've seen either Heavy Metals.

Why must people always focus on only one part of my posts and never all of it Sad That is only one part of my response to post #6. I'm sayin anime generic and cartoon generic are way different from each other.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
But they are making a sequel to Avatar, something that they don't really need to do with that logic.

Isn't it? Look at Nickelodeon's other lineup: Madagascar and Kung-Fu Panda... 'sequels' or 'spin-offs' of established movie properties. I'd say it fits their agenda quite well to just make a spin-off/sequel of another of their shows. Why put effort into creating a new show when we can just get a sequel? It's much easier, and depending on what kind of contract the original creators signed back when the first show started, cheaper than signing a new creator who no doubt would want more money in a contract deal than what the standard was back in 2005.

And because I'm curious, it's obvious we disagree about Avatar's quality, but putting that aside for a moment, can you actually tell me what Avatar actually did for the animation front? It premiered in 2005, and what exactly has it changed? I can't really think of anything. It's not exactly a footnote in history like the first color movie by Disney (Snow White), or the first CG movie (Toy Story) It was just another Nickelodeon show. It didn't spawn a fad of imitators or change the industry or put American animation on the map internationally or anything noteworthy. It was just a show that came and went. I don't see the importance of it or why you're using it in this context like a revolutionary or experimental product. I'd say Spongebob is more influential if we're talking Nickelodeon shows, or maybe even the Dreamworks movie cartoons for being a fad of turning movies into TV series (not that the 90s didn't do this with various movies, but Dreamworks seems to be building a nice relationship with Nickelodeon so it might be worth mention)

Quote:
If whatever they bring out still gets ratings that beat the competition, they can expand their genres if they want to. So that does give a little hope there if they are able to find another creator person who gets a chance like how Avatar did, then we're on to something.

That's not how the business works I'm afraid, as much as it should be. Yes, whatever they do will sell, but why do anything when you can make just as much money and churn out a mediocre effort? Works for Apple.. they don't have to do anything with the people complaining for Flash support or even a USB port on the iPad. And they never will until a serious competitor appears to threaten their crown and actually forces Apple to start caring.

Quote:
For merchandising, it just really depends. Remember how DBZ Kai got canceled due to merchandise not selling out to expectations? And that example with 4Kids and that card game, doing too much merchandise without the focus of what brings that together. For America, seems the show might have pave the wave for things to come for that franchise.

Dragonball Kai is an outlier from what I've seen, especially when the seiyuu were demanding a large amount of money for their work since they've obviously became much bigger stars since the original run of Dragonball in the 80s/90s, and Dragonball itself since then has become a legendary property, and they wanted equivalent payment as such. You even got instances of seiyuu like Yûji Mitsuya who pretty much say "I'm not sure they could afford me to reprise my role when they get to it" (for the record, no, they couldn't, and he wasn't hired when they reached that part in the series) Merchandising might have help more, but the seiyuu thing is what did them in most of all I would say. Too much upkeep was spent on the seiyuu. For the record, where did the merchandising rumor come from? Did Toei say it in an article somewhere? I'm curious if it's just a rumor or maybe an official scapegoat by Toei on why the series ended.. maybe they willingly took the huge money hit from the seiyuu in hopes of making it back with toys and miscalculated?

enurtsol wrote:
One of the better ones that I recall that's always seem to get bypassed is Exo-Squad, also has memorable death scenes:

Exo Squad takes place sometime in the 22nd century, when Humans have fully terraformed and colonized Venus and Mars. The Neosapiens, an artificially-engineered race, have Turned Against Their Masters and launched an invasion of Earth and Venus.

The story focuses on the ExoFleet, the Homeworlds' space navy, in particular, Able Squad, a group of Exo-frame (Mini Mecha) pilots led by Lieutenant J.T. Marsh.

Exo Squad has been commonly compared to Mobile Suit Gundam, both in quality and the maturity of the themes portrayed in the series. In addition, Will Meugniot himself made a direct comparison to the Gundam series, saying that Gundam is similar to the Pacific Theater of World War II, while Exo Squad is the European Theater. Among animation fans, it's often compared with Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and Avatar: The Last Airbender as an example of how Western animation can be every bit as mature and well-made as the best Anime. Surprising, considering what studio was behind the animation.

I don't think I would use TVTropes as a credible source.. especially when the article is written with so many weasel words and has zero sources. That last bit is pretty much is the analogy of a little kid who wants to sit at the cool kids table in the lunchroom.

Quote:
Not necessarily. We used to have Bakugan and Beyblade players here who haven't watched an episode of the animation. It's the challenge of the games that excited them; they didn't care for the storylines.

What exactly is your basis and sample size for this? The Bakugan anime works on commission, oddly enough, so each series after the first was because Nelvana wanted more of it and funded it, since the original series bombed in Japan yet took off in the United States. I can't see them doing that to a show that no one watches. Just because 'a group of kids' don't watch the show doesn't make it the standard. Yes, obviously with a game it's natural there will be people who don't care or know about the show and will still get into it, but the show is still a big part of it.

Quote:
They tried with W.I.T.C.H. (actually based on Italian comics), but unfortunately for animation, most American girls prefer watching live-action tween/teen shows with girls and handsome boys they like. (Basically, their own version of fanservice.)

While I wouldn't disagree on the television front, and network executives who almost never greenlight shows with female leads doesn't help, I recall the comics were released in the US and quickly canned in the US due to poor sales, yet shoujo manga does well enough to keep pressing on. Are we sure it's just not a problem with the product itself? Why does every non-manga attempt to get girls into comics end in failure from what I can see?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

And because I'm curious, it's obvious we disagree about Avatar's quality, but putting that aside for a moment, can you actually tell me what Avatar actually did for the animation front? It premiered in 2005, and what exactly has it changed? I can't really think of anything. It's not exactly a footnote in history like the first color movie by Disney (Snow White), or the first CG movie (Toy Story) It was just another Nickelodeon show. It didn't spawn a fad of imitators or change the industry or put American animation on the map internationally or anything noteworthy. It was just a show that came and went. I don't see the importance of it or why you're using it in this context like a revolutionary or experimental product.

Oh please titan Rolling Eyes I hate to indulge you because I already know how deluded you are, but stop making Avatar out to be less than what it was. It's fine and all if you didn't personally care for it, or that you don't "get" why lots of other people did. Hell I'll never understand the type of love Haruhi gets, but I'd be a damn fool to say that it wasn't a big deal just because I didn't appreciate it. Avatar was a big deal when it came out, lots of people loved it young and old, and you just can't say that about a lot of cartoons these days. If it wasn't a big deal, then there's no way in hell Nick would've green lit a sequel series when they could just use that space to air more spongebob, or icarly, or whatever the hell else they have on. What's more is people still talk about it, which means it wasn't just a blip on the radar that appeared and then vanished just as quick as it came. It may not have recreated the wheel, but the fact that lots of people liked it alone is enough to give it props so stop being completely ridiculous. Not everything has to break the mold to be appreciated and loved for being a great story, which whether you agree with it or not, it was a great story, something I enjoyed watching more than any of the shounen anime I had been watching at the time.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be too sure when it comes to Nick's business possibilities. You have to look at it at all possibilities. "Expensive" contract, but cheap to make; Run of the mill show, but excellent animation; New show but add their teen stars into the mix somehow. They can always mix and match for how they want to approach a new show.

I didn't really say Avatar did anything revolutionary like you were saying, only that for Nick, it did something different for them. Its not about trying to be this all unique thing the world hasn't seen, but something that's kind of different from what they usually do, and opens doors to future creators(like those who want to make their own "anime" and other who want to make animated shows) to give them a chance.

As for the rumor, I believe I read it somewhere that it was one of the "strongest" possibilities of why Kai was canceled. Comparing some sell data on how the merch wasn't selling well, yet the ratings were still good. But I believe the site did go from that angle as a rumor though, so its not official from Toei. Just depends if you believe in how Toei interpret the data to mean what they theorized.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:
Why must people always focus on only one part of my posts and never all of it Sad That is only one part of my response to post #6. I'm sayin anime generic and cartoon generic are way different from each other.

And by that you mean what exactly? Certainly they're "different". Anime has a whole other set of terrible cliches from Western Animation. So yeah, a generic western cartoon and a generic anime are going to be way different from each other. That certainly doesn't make one more generic than the other (or of a higher quality).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5