• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
At the very least, having it as two separate episodes allows us to distinguish in our ratings between a largely pointless episode and a great one, rather than having to split the difference. It would have better not to have the former, but what's done is done.

Yeah, 807 was pretty much a waste of 20 minutes. What followed, though...well, it seems like it only happens every hundred episodes at this point, but once in a long while, Toei reminds me what they're capable of if they actually bother to try. That whole fight was note-perfect, and flashing all the way back to the very first ending song was an inspired touch.

it had some good pointers, so 807 isnt a waste as the slightest.

also for those that are hoping good thing will happen when it comes to pudding, you'll be sorely disappointing since she's just as ugly as her mom and will more or less be an even worst villain when she hurts him in the worst way possible!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Either I have become numb to the show’s pacing,or it’s pacing isn’t as bad as the reviewer is claiming. There has certainly been worse examples.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Im certainly feeling it when every 12 minute episode spends that time cutting between 4 different plots. It would work so much better if they simply combined the scenes so that you had one episode completely following one group then another on a different group then alternated back, you then did say 4 episodes on two groups before doing another 4 episodes on the other 2 groups.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
These past few episodes, including this one, have been nothing short of stellar.
The anime is in a really good spot for the time being where the source material is interesting and engaging enough to benefit from moving at a leisurely pace.

Noboru Koizumi, the original One Piece character designer, returned to supervise the animation in this episode and it was a treat to watch.
Praying that we see more from him in the coming weeks.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, I had a feeling it was Pudding that shot Reiju. It's always the person you least suspect. Jeez, what a bitch. Guess we should start calling her Bitch Pudding from now on, am I right?! Laughing
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
I feel so lost right now. The show and the episode reviewer are apparently saying that Big Mom and Germa 66 are strong but I don't see it AT ALL. I'm still waiting for the threat, and wondering about some small things in the arc that are starting to look like plot holes.
I have seen no one in Germa who have haki and Sanji would've easily beat his father in that fight if he hadn't gotten sickened by how dirty his father fights. I'm assuming his father is about the same strength as his brothers if not more powerful maybe.
Big Mom, while having a few haki users, seems to have amassed her power through conquering weak islands and ruling through high level spying abilities. Physically her crew seem weak other than her top 3 or 4 people, as shown when whats-his-face egg man gets beat in a sword fight with a mediocre at best sword fighter.
Also Sanji's handcuffs should be able to be removed the same way the explosive collars were removed on Saboady Archipelago. Silvers showed that with haki you can take stuff like that off, and even if Sanji is not skilled enough to take them off, coating the skin under the cuffs in strong haki should be able to withstand an explosion form a device that small.
Luffy hasn't tried to break out using Gear 4th...why? It might not work but...he SEEMED desperate. But not THAT desperate? REALLY?
Considering how girl enemies are handled in this series I don't have high hopes for the conclusion to Pudding's plans, especially when Sanji is involved.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I feel so lost right now. The show and the episode reviewer are apparently saying that Big Mom and Germa 66 are strong but I don't see it AT ALL. I'm still waiting for the threat, and wondering about some small things in the arc that are starting to look like plot holes.

You're looking at this from the wrong direction. Big Mom's crew and the Germa 66 aren't weak, their bounties should tell you that much, it just goes to show how strong the Straw Hats have become.

Quote:
I have seen no one in Germa who have haki and Sanji would've easily beat his father in that fight if he hadn't gotten sickened by how dirty his father fights. I'm assuming his father is about the same strength as his brothers if not more powerful maybe.

Probably Judge is weaker than his children since they've all been genetically modified from birth and there hasn't been any indication that he was as well. spoiler[In true One Piece fashion Sanji gets his payback in the best way possible.]

Quote:
Big Mom, while having a few haki users, seems to have amassed her power through conquering weak islands and ruling through high level spying abilities. Physically her crew seem weak other than her top 3 or 4 people,

spoiler[You haven't seen her strongest fighters fight yet. Heck, you haven't even seen all of her fighters yet. So what makes you think they're weak? Big Mom herself is one of the strongest people in the world, not just someone being protected by her land mass. Her backstory is rather terrifying.]

Quote:
as shown when whats-his-face egg man gets beat in a sword fight with a mediocre at best sword fighter.

Two things. First off Pedro is one of the strongest fighters on Zou, there's nothing mediocre about him. Second spoiler[who said he was beat?]

Quote:
Also Sanji's handcuffs should be able to be removed the same way the explosive collars were removed on Saboady Archipelago. Silvers showed that with haki you can take stuff like that off, and even if Sanji is not skilled enough to take them off, coating the skin under the cuffs in strong haki should be able to withstand an explosion form a device that small.

He isn't willing to chance it. Plus what is he going to do if he does take them off and someone finds out? Then he's putting Zeph's life on the line. It just isn't worth it.

Quote:
Luffy hasn't tried to break out using Gear 4th...why? It might not work but...he SEEMED desperate. But not THAT desperate? REALLY?

Did you forgot that he's been through two huge battles and hasn't eaten anything or rested since beating Cracker? He's drained.

Quote:
Considering how girl enemies are handled in this series I don't have high hopes for the conclusion to Pudding's plans, especially when Sanji is involved.

You might actually be correct here. Depends on what you think Sanji is going to do. You probably wont see it coming. Anime catgrin

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Slow episode for slow series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Slow episode for slow series.

but downright silly if you ask me.

this here is the exact reason why the author more or less NEEDS to have an official 101 on the type of devil fruits in the series AND NOT DEPEND on unofficial wikia websites, cause the more outrageous and OVER THE TOP their abilities are, the more likely people will tend to confuse on whether or not their powers are zoan, logia or paramythia. i mean seriously! the egg egg fruit have got to be the most ridiculous devil fruit other than buggy's chop chop powers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
The past couple of episodes have looked better than some Winter 2018 anime airing right now.
Even with the padding, I'm still finding it mostly enjoyable because it's nice to look at and It's fun seeing how the plot threads of the Chateau segment unfold in an animated, colored medium.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
The past couple of episodes have looked better than some Winter 2018 anime airing right now.
Even with the padding, I'm still finding it mostly enjoyable because it's nice to look at and It's fun seeing how the plot threads of the Chateau segment unfold in an animated, colored medium.

at least their going through with the canon arc and not rerouting to a filler arc which some of its other long running shounen jump counterparts tend to do very often. it would really sour the mood if the do that at this point.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The streak continues with this hilarious episode. This was one of my favorite moments in the manga and now it's one of the best comedy gags in the anime. Sam is right about needing a good light-hearted break of levity from the serious tone of WCI. It feels very similar to something you would see in an older episode of One Piece.

jr240483 wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:

at least their going through with the canon arc and not rerouting to a filler arc which some of its other long running shounen jump counterparts tend to do very often. it would really sour the mood if the do that at this point.

That option has always been unlikely since Toei doesn't usually do that and there's no place during this arc where they can fit in a filler arc.
lukenago

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
824 was very enjoyable, I'm liking the darker theme and colors of recent episodes Cool
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Something that i always appreciated in the older episodes of one piece,was that ,even though the pacing was horrible back than,there was at least something to keep you engaged with what was going on. Weather it be the humor,the story itself or whatever else.

These last couple of arcs have certainly managed to turn things around for the anime ,although i never really felt the previous arcs before them were as bad as people say,they definitely seemed to have captured something they have lost previously.

So its nice to see that they can still keep me in this after so long. In short,the anime has been getting better and better,especially with direction.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
I disagree, I think they are getting lighter and lighter on content, if you remember the early arcs, at least up to the end of Impel Down, the story always kept on moving. The previous two arcs have been slow at times but this one is taking it to new lows.
Episode 825 can quite literally be summed up as:

5:05 minutes recap
2:30 minutes of intro
Sanji tells Luffy he cant leave
Luffy punches Sanji and tells him to say what he feels
Sanji says he does want to leave but cant
These 12 lines of dialog take 14:30 but could have taken 5 in the early arcs whilst still retaining all the emotion
Guy arrives at door, takes 1:10
40 seconds of next episode preview
total running time 23:55
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 49