• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
That author has some serious consistency issues, because although he penned the Scrapped Princess novels he also penned Polyphonica, Maccademia Washoi, and Strait Jacket.

Luckily Outbreak Company seems to be one of his good works (or rather, one of the good adaptations of his works)
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
uguu wrote:
The styles are very different but KLK is more "guilty" of the stuff that Key talked about. I'm genuinely curious if he thought the 'ugly' scenes I linked were KLK at its worst because I thought those were the best parts.

IIRC, didn't Key once claim that the technical merits of Kyoto Animation's Nichijou series were "mired in mediocrity"? I think it's pretty safe to say that he simply does not have a good eye for animation quality.

He once claimed the Fullmetal Alchemist movie looked so bad it would be unacceptable quality for a tv series.

So uh, yeah. Skip over the paragraphs when he talks about animation.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Galilei Donna's 1st episode was decent. Really good op.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
He once claimed the Fullmetal Alchemist movie looked so bad it would be unacceptable quality for a tv series.

So uh, yeah. Skip over the paragraphs when he talks about animation.

Direct quote from the review you're referring to (of FMA: Sacred Star of Milos)

Quote:
The animation quality is actually very good, with no shortcuts taken in depicting key action sequences, but the artistry is not.

And I gave the animation an A- rating. So if you're going to criticize me, get your facts straight about what I did and did not say was good. The animation was, the art otherwise was not. And I wasn't the only one who thought that, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
uguu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
You also didn't explain how the new Yozakura has 'blander' colors though, or how the old show's coloring was good (as your review of it stated).
Key wrote:
Macron One wrote:
IIRC, didn't Key once claim that the technical merits of Kyoto Animation's Nichijou series were "mired in mediocrity"? I think it's pretty safe to say that he simply does not have a good eye for animation quality.

Believe what you want. Or it could be, you know, that I and others don't regard things like this (from YQ) as quality character rendering:

Now, all but the absolutely best series have occasional quality slips, so if this had been a one-off incident in the first episode I probably would have ignored it. This degree of character rendering comes up repeatedly throughout the episode, however.

Oh, and just so you don't get any ideas here, I'm not going to get dragged into a relative artistic quality debate about YQ and KLK. The latter has its own peculiar, extreme style, while YQ is a more conventional-looking series. You really can't directly compare the two.

The only weird part there is the hands, and, as jet_ pointed out, that frame is absolutely not noticeable at all in motion. And TV anime is generally FILLED with these things; I could easily look at some TV stuff you gave an A in art to and find a bajillion instances of 'bad inbetweens'.

There's also the fact that the character in your screenshot was further from the camera than your screenshot implies. It's kind of like those 4chan trolls who zoom in on one tiny thing in the background and say 'lol bad art'.

Something being 'wacky' doesn't mean it can't be very solidly drawn. And surely, there are quite a few "slip-ups" (by your standards, if 'one unnoticeable drawing in the middle of fluid motion in a TV anime' counts as a 'slip-up') in Kill la Kill too.

http://i.imgur.com/o4hjMQs.jpg

the "rendering and artistry" of Ryuuko's hand here looks weird for more frames than your example and is far more noticeable. It's also not a 'fast action' shot, it's actually a sort of slow-mo one.

http://i.imgur.com/6fpxMf1.jpg

Another example where it's once again more noticeable.
Quote:
Give it a rest guys... Key isn't going to change his opinion just because we say so...

A pure 'opinion' would be something along the lines of, "I personally do not enjoy action scenes". There's nothing arguable there because there are no objective statements made. You also don't really have to explain anything; if someone isn't into action and prefers more subdued works, then that's that.

In-depth artistic criticism, however, has a lot more room for objectiveness. There are a lot of logical observations to be made about drawing and animation. Like that, for instance, Key specifically picked out a single frame not remotely noticeable in motion and used that as an example of "poor character rendering and artistry". I could make a gif of that scene and prove this statement.
Quote:

And I gave the animation an A- rating. So if you're going to criticize me, get your facts straight about what I did and did not say was good. The animation was, the art otherwise was not. And I wasn't the only one who thought that, either.

No such thing as good animation with bad art, especially in the kind of style that the FMA movie had. Maybe good animation with bad design, but good animation requires solid art. It does not work any other way and is one of the main principles of animation.

Also: Note that in the FMA review thread, Theron also stated that he would give The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a low art score as it does indeed suffer from the same flaws as FMA: Milos.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
The only weird part there is the hands, and, as jet_ pointed out, that frame is absolutely not noticeable at all in motion.

This shot was representative of a scene that played out over several seconds at the 5:10 mark, not an isolated shot, as you and the other person claim.

Quote:
And TV anime is generally FILLED with these things; I could easily look at some TV stuff you gave an A in art to and find a bajillion instances of 'bad inbetweens'.

Believe I said something to that effect myself.

Quote:
There's also the fact that the character in your screenshot was further from the camera than your screenshot implies. It's kind of like those 4chan trolls who zoom in on one tiny thing in the background and say 'lol bad art'.

Ehhh, no. That was an unmagnified foreground shot. I only cropped it and downsized it a bit so it would fit in a forum post. (IOW, no different from what you did with the pics you posted.)

Really, the extent which you guys are going to here to try to prove that I have no clue what I'm talking about on art quality - and the extent to which you're failing at it - is amusing. And again, I'm entirely fine if you subjectively think I'm wrong; it's when you try to objectively prove I am on something as subjective as art that you're going to get a push-back.

Quote:
And surely, there are quite a few "slip-ups" (by your standards, if 'one unnoticeable drawing in the middle of fluid motion in a TV anime' counts as a 'slip-up') in Kill la Kill too.

Did I ever say there weren't?

Quote:
No such thing as good animation with bad art, especially in the kind of style that the FMA movie had. Maybe good animation with bad design, but good animation requires solid art. It does not work any other way and is one of the main principles of animation.

Heavily debatable. I know some people believe that the two are intrinsically linked, but I entirely disagree. I have seen many examples of animation over time (not just in anime) that I would say were well-animated in the sense of seeing characters/objects move fluidly but not aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Quote:
Also: Note that in the FMA review thread, Theron also stated that he would give The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a low art score as it does indeed suffer from the same flaws as FMA: Milos.

And your point is? Of the two reviews we have on this site for that movie, one gives the artistry an A+ with no explanation, while the other gives the artistry a B (with an animation grade of B+) with "simplistic art" as a negative. Hence I'm not alone in that opinion even on this site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
uguu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Heavily debatable. I know some people believe that the two are intrinsically linked, but I entirely disagree. I have seen many examples of animation over time (not just in anime) that I would say were well-animated in the sense of seeing characters/objects move fluidly but not aesthetically pleasing to look at.

I'm talking about technical quality here. And even the more subjective 'aesthetically pleasing/unpleasing' can be broken down into what elements you, personally find appealing (or unappealing).

Kill la Kill's animation actually isn't all that fluid and it's not meant to; it's Kanada-style. It's "fluid" in that it "flows well", but it does not have a high amount of frames. A good sense of timing is far more important than traditional 'fluidity', along with solid drawing, because you won't be able to move objects around in space if you don't know how objects move around in space to begin with.

Admittedly, things like color use don't really have anything to do with animation, so... yeah, there are 'art' elements that can be separated from motion. The FMA: Milos complaints, however, imply that the film lacks solid drawing - if it truly did, it wouldn't move well for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Quote:
Really, the extent which you guys are going to here to try to prove that I have no clue what I'm talking about on art quality - and the extent to which you're failing at it - is amusing. And again, I'm entirely fine if you subjectively think I'm wrong; it's when you try to objectively prove I am on something as subjective as art that you're going to get a push-back.

Art is not entirely subjective, not by a mile. Neither is animation. Preference is subjective. One could prefer, say, the art and animation style of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha over the art and animation style of Akira, but the fact still remains that Akira is a far more impressive showcase of well-timed animation and solid drawing. There's a world of a difference between saying "I found this style unappealing" and "this is crudely drawn". Both have their place in a review, but a writer should take into account that there is a difference between them.

You also didn't explain why you find the new Yozakura's colors 'blander'.
Quote:
This shot was representative of a scene that played out over several seconds at the 5:10 mark, not an isolated shot, as you and the other person claim.

It wasn't super-polished but it was a far-away shot of a character that wasn't super-important to the story. It looked fine, especially if you are willing to forgive the more unpolished shots in Kill la Kill.
Quote:
Did I ever say there weren't?

You mentioned that most anime has these shots but you still deemed Yozakura to be particularly bad about it. So I pointed out that KLK is very similar to it in this regard.

It's not just the 'wacky style', a lot of shots are obviously something far more likely to pop up in a lower-budget TV series with 24 episodes and deadlines and less likely to appear in something like Imaishi's Dead Leaves or FLCL episode 5.

http://i.imgur.com/fLn7zRP.jpg - pretty obvious

http://i.imgur.com/02uUwuI.jpg - this would have probably been drawn from a more difficult, dramatic perspective and with more detail in an Imaishi work with no deadlines and a higher budget

http://i.imgur.com/BfJpTB1.jpg this entire scene didn't look like it had as much work put into it as the closest 'wacky, scribbly' equivlaent scenes from FLCL ep 5 and the actual motion didn't look to be the most polished either.

I feel really bad doing this because I absolutely love Kill la Kill and it feels like I'm just crapping on it. I'm not, and I actually think it's way better than Yozakura stylistically, I think even the budget/time-saving stuff is really great. But there is still obvious budget and time saving, just as much as there is in Yozakura, perhaps more.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me like you simply found Yozakura less stylistically appealing than KLK but attempted to make your commentary more technical, to make the negative comments about Yozakura seem more objective than just "I don't like this style". Hence 'the drawing quality is cruder, the colors are blander' etc.

I actually completely agree that KLK is more visually engaging than Yozakura, but I don't see how Yozakura has more "crudely drawn" scenes than KLK.

Last edited by uguu on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the downside, the first episode plays up the whole Italian thing way too much and forces in Galileo references in a corny fashion.
So it's Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere?

Would it kill ANN to narrow the scope of the Feedback thread for the preview guide? I still believe that there should be a way to view all the previews for a given show on a single page. Trying to compare all the previews for a given show with the current system is tedious.

Side note: Would ANN kindly put tags on the ANN accounts of its reviewers, so these reviewers' posts can be more easily identified?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
On the downside, the first episode plays up the whole Italian thing way too much and forces in Galileo references in a corny fashion.
So it's Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere?

I'm guessing you've watched neither show, since that comparison literally makes zero sense.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Would it kill ANN to narrow the scope of the Feedback thread for the preview guide? I still believe that there should be a way to view all the previews for a given show on a single page. Trying to compare all the previews for a given show with the current system is tedious.

Wouldn't kill us, but would require a dramatic overhaul of the way the guide is published. It would be completely different from how it is now, in service of... I guess making it easier for you to compare scores? What you're complaining about seems like 'I have to read everyone's page to find out what they thought' which... maybe I'm wrong but that alone doesn't seem like a great reason to go through the headache of a total re-do of how we publish the guide.

Quote:

Side note: Would ANN kindly put tags on the ANN accounts of its reviewers, so these reviewers' posts can be more easily identified?

Reviewers all have 'ANN Staff Critic' or something similar under their forums username, except Key, who has Moderator under his.

You should note that Carlo and Carl Kimlinger basically never respond to forums feedback, ever. Generally it's me, Bamboo, Rebecca Silverman and Theron. All of whom are identified as staff.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill is definitely a vibrant, energizing show with an unrestrained style, and the potential for some interesting characterization. It's very heavy concept, so hopefully it can chase that with a compelling plot for several episodes rather than the so far "Goku uniform opponent of the week" pattern. I'm really intrigued by the main character, Ryuko, who isn't the kind of female protagonist you usually get. She's not demure at all, and she doesn't skew towards "cute" or even much fetishistic, and actively dislikes the sexy costume she wears. She's attractive, but she doesn't wear it out. It's hard not to admire her nerve, but she also has a bit of a reckless temper which humanizes her. I'm enjoying the show thoroughly. Of all the shows I've seen this season, this is my favorite by far.

Nagi no Asukara is interesting, conceptually, but plotwise seems fairly predictable from beat to beat. I keep thinking, "Yeah, that next seen is going to be about X, and then Y is going to occur." It's pretty typical star-crossed lovers wheelhouse with a mystical element to spice it up, but it doesn't help that the romantic lead female is such a weak-willed crybaby, so you end up not especially caring who she hooks up with, especially when it seems to be the only thing the show cares about.

Coppelion and Strike the Blood are both decent. The former is a bit too melodramatic at times and the latter is lacking decent production values, so they both are middling, but I'm going to see where they go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
uguu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kill la Kill is definitely a vibrant, energizing show with an unrestrained style, and the potential for some interesting characterization. It's very heavy concept, so hopefully it can chase that with a compelling plot for several episodes rather than the so far "Goku uniform opponent of the week" pattern.

They confirmed long ago that the pattern will not last. The story will take lots of different directions and every handful of episodes is supposed to be followed by something that feels like a climax.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I think the preview guide is overall fine in the setup. I just had a couple suggestions.

My only suggestions would be perhaps breaking the shows down by weeks like this:
Week One: Kill la Kill, Coppelion.
Week Two: Little Busters! Refrain, Log Horizon (and so on) under the critic's name may help to break it down.

I find this thread gets way too long and I lose my place. I can't remember if I was on page 29 or 36 lol. I know all threads are like this, but I find the preview guide threads especially the hardest to navigate. Maybe if they are split at a certain count?

Not at all complaining (you guys do a great job) just a few things I thought might make things easier, on a user side.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
The FMA: Milos complaints, however, imply that the film lacks solid drawing. . .

No "implying" there; I thought I was outright saying exactly that.

Quote:
Art is not entirely subjective, not by a mile. Neither is animation. Preference is subjective. One could prefer, say, the art and animation style of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha over the art and animation style of Akira, but the fact still remains that Akira is a far more impressive showcase of well-timed animation and solid drawing. There's a world of a difference between saying "I found this style unappealing" and "this is crudely drawn". Both have their place in a review, but a writer should take into account that there is a difference between them.

If I think I'm disliking something just because of a stylistic preference, I will usually say so. If you see me make comments like "this won't work for everyone" in a review, that is usually what I mean.

Quote:
You also didn't explain why you find the new Yozakura's colors 'blander'.

"Blander" = not as sharp-looking, eye-catching, and/or vibrant. (Do I really need to define that to get the point across?)

Quote:
Quote:

It wasn't super-polished but it was a far-away shot of a character that wasn't super-important to the story. It looked fine, especially if you are willing to forgive the more unpolished shots in Kill la Kill.

Not sure what you're looking at here. That's a foreground shot of main co-protagonist Hime. (Very obviously so, in fact.)

Quote:
I might be wrong, but it seems to me like you simply found Yozakura less stylistically appealing than KLK but attempted to make your commentary more technical, to make the negative comments about Yozakura seem more objective than just "I don't like this style". Hence 'the drawing quality is cruder, the colors are blander' etc.

Believe what you want. I thought the artistry was crap, not just disagreeable. Now, if you want an example of art that I find disagreeable but not by any means crap, look at Vampire Knight. I despise that kind of stereotypically shojo manga-styled character designs, but despite that I have to acknowledge that it's well-drawn and well-colored series.
MCAL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Quote:
Give it a rest guys... Key isn't going to change his opinion just because we say so...

A pure 'opinion' would be something along the lines of, "I personally do not enjoy action scenes". There's nothing arguable there because there are no objective statements made. You also don't really have to explain anything; if someone isn't into action and prefers more subdued works, then that's that.

In-depth artistic criticism, however, has a lot more room for objectiveness. There are a lot of logical observations to be made about drawing and animation. Like that, for instance, Key specifically picked out a single frame not remotely noticeable in motion and used that as an example of "poor character rendering and artistry". I could make a gif of that scene and prove this statement.

What I mean is, that the art preference argument is moot, because art is subjective to begin with. I've seen this conversation before on Ryo-timo and it gets tiresome, because a) the argument eventually devolves into petty bickering on both sides and b) because I look at this argument and say "Wow! If art design is the only problem, then the anime is in good hands regardless."

This is why I only took issue with Silverman's animation portion of the review, because unlike art, animation is not subjective and the animation here is fantastic, not to mention creative at times...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 41