• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: The Long-awaited Release of Bakemonogatari is set to hit North America this Holiday Season!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This release is a US and Canada Exclusive and available while supplies last.

Noooooooooooo! Dammit.

It will be mine. I will find a way.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait it out like I did with KnK.

Because to be honest, the bonus material I couldn't really care for.

I just want the show, y'know, the bare minimum.

Otherwise; streaming for me.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
This IS NOT a Japanese import release, it's a local made item. If it was an import, it would be $300, not $150.
Though like R.O.D, it's a copy-cat import (And limited this time-R.O.D was never limited). The packaging is almost completely identical to the Japanese release.

I mean look at this.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B005N498SS/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_1&ItemName=aoa2401&LanguageIsoName=en
http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_2&ItemName=aoa2401&LanguageIsoName=en

Anyway, much higher of a price than I expected, but that's probably due to the fact we got Japanese commentaries, which are a huge pain to get a hold of, and get stripped from BD's here to prevent reverse-importation.

I'll probably bite as I probably will like the show. Going to see if I truly will like it through the streams first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saber778

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
mannn i was hoping for a dub Sad guess this is going in my wish i could see but cant be bothered to read subs pile it grows by the day Sad
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
It has the character commentaries subbed? Senjougahara and Hanekawa talking behind Araragi's back?

I was tempted that makes this release very interesting to me. I'm glad to hear they did that. I didn't expect to ever know what those commentaries said.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying for the sole reason of the character designer being Akio Watanabe. If I actually like the show that's just the cake beneath the frosting (can't really say "it's the frosting on the cake," it's the frosting I'm buying it for).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
It has the character commentaries subbed? Senjougahara and Hanekawa talking behind Araragi's back?

I was tempted that makes this release very interesting to me. I'm glad to hear they did that. I didn't expect to ever know what those commentaries said.

I downloaded ep 1's commentary long time ago. It's like 20+mins of none stop talking. I don't understand them very well because they talk very fast and my Japanese level is very low.
I think they they talk shit about Araragi, about the OP, then talk about some senses that's happening in the anime. Senjougahara is also trying to give Hanekawa a hard time. Senjougahara already think Araragi is sex in the first ep lol

you will get 15 eps of this. Remember, "commentary written by the author Nisioisin" Aniplex.

I don't think there are any fansub on all 15 eps of commentaries.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
For all that were wondering, the disc count is the same as the Japanese box. It's basically a replica. I've posted a picture on Aniplex of Americas Facebook page as a comparison. I hope it helps.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Even still, the entire premise is ridiculous. Then again, so was putting 2/3 episodes on DVD when it could clearly hold more.
Rolling Eyes
I crunched the numbers and DVDs can hold a little over a hundred(maybe a hundred and ten) minutes of maximum bitrate content. Four full-length episodes is the limit and then you'd have very little space for any sort of extras.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Four full-length episodes is the limit and then you'd have very little space for any sort of extras.

Which is a rarity in anime to use such extreme rates. Ghost Hunt has 25 episodes on 4 disks, and math says that's a minimum of 6 episodes per disk. I've not heard anyone complain about the quality of the series related to video or audio.

The 2/3 episodes + extras is a heyday of a bygone era in R1: singles. Personally, aside from episode commentary, I hate having extras on each DVD. I'd rather have an extras disk as a stand alone. I also dislike previews/ads thrown on their for the sake of nothing short of annoying paying customers.

When I purchased my Lucky Star bluray import, I was nearly brought to tears when putting the disk into the player immediately brought up episode 1 (after the obligatory Kodansha Bluray logo, of course). No ads. No previews. No FBI warning (and no Japanese equivalent of calling their customers criminals).

R1 should take notes and this release of Bakemonogatari, with its asking price, should rid R1 of every one of these annoyances as well, in my opinion.

We pay for a quality product which means it should be free of non-quality garbage. This means more episodes per disk.
Echoes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
This announcement is depressing as someone who doesn't live in North America. I was really looking forward to this release, and it's about the cost I expected. One I'd be more than willing to pay for one of my favorite series in recent years.

I guess it's not the end of the world, but it is a real bummer. The thing looks gorgeous too.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
I've been known to grouse about current pricing strategies, but in my eyes this one really isn't worth the effort. As someone who bought way too many VHS tapes with 2-3 episodes at $30 each in the nineties, and the majority of my DVD collection with ~4 episodes at $30 in the early 00s, this just feels like a return to the norm after an unsustainable bubble.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that anime is returning to an expensive hobby as opposed to the somewhat affordable one it was in the mid to late 00's, but this doesn't feel terribly insane to me.

I'll deal with it the same way I dealt with it in college; I'll buy less. I bought way too much junk in the mid-late 00s anyway.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I ordered it since it was half the other similar sets they've been selling and since I do like the extras for their sets.

It was a hard decision though.
manicli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
No. The LAST thing Aniplex needs to be like or emulate in any way is Funimation. How do you think their bargain pricing of most of their titles is helping the animation industry that needs overhead for creators, voice actors and licensing costs? Buying Funimation is ONLY helping Funimation.

How I support Aniplex: I bought 3 copies of the Oreimo Limited Edition set and 2 copies each of the 1st two volumes of the Madoka Limited Edition set and 1 copy of volume 3. All purchased brand new, and most on preorder from Rightstuf.

How I support Funimation: ZERO copies of any Funimation title in existence (except a few second-hand, ebay, etc - most likely used).

Actually buying Funimation helps the industry A LOT more than buying Aniplex of America and here's why.

Funimation pays their dub actors which are unionised so it's not like they can give them minimum wage.

If my knowledge on this is correct, but hey I might be wrong, the initial license fees which is quite substantial helps the creators.

As for overhead for licensing, I doubt they'd pay for a show they don't think is profitable.

And here's why you are wrong about how AoA supports the NA market. They rarely dub their stuff so they don't pay their dub actors. How much do you think buying an AoA release helps the creators? The answer is the same as buying a Funimation release because they both pay the initial license fees. The only difference is you're giving more money to a company called Aniplex of America.

I really can't tell if you genuinely believe what you're saying or if you're trolling >.>
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Actually buying Funimation helps the industry A LOT more than buying Aniplex of America and here's why.

Funimation pays their dub actors which are unionised so it's not like they can give them minimum wage.

If my knowledge on this is correct, but hey I might be wrong, the initial license fees which is quite substantial helps the creators.

As for overhead for licensing, I doubt they'd pay for a show they don't think is profitable.

And here's why you are wrong about how AoA supports the NA market. They rarely dub their stuff so they don't pay their dub actors. How much do you think buying an AoA release helps the creators? The answer is the same as buying a Funimation release because they both pay the initial license fees. The only difference is you're giving more money to a company called Aniplex of America.

I really can't tell if you genuinely believe what you're saying or if you're trolling >.>

He means the anime industry as in Japan, not Funimation. Hense the 'only helps Funimation' line. Funimation is not 'the anime industry', it's a dubbing company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6