• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Reveals Level E Dub Cast, English Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Anyways, holler if Funimation ever decides to record their next show outside of Texas for a change.

Uh... why would they? They have their own in-house studio because it's cheaper and more convenient. They'd almost be stupid to record anywhere else at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about the dub, I'm just happy this show was licensed and released in the first place.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Uh... why would they? They have their own in-house studio because it's cheaper and more convenient. They'd almost be stupid to record anywhere else at this point.

I know. That was simply a remark based on things they do that I don't like.

Better than "Let's all hate the dude that played Ed Elric" if you ask me.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Oh yeah, he's a total jag, but so is Tom Cruise and he still makes great movies.

But Tom Cruise has talent. Vic Mignogna doesn't (well, not a lot, anyway).

That's bull. I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous at this point. Not to mention your constant need to soapbox on Vic really makes one wonder, but more importantly kind of draws a big cloud of doubt over your assessments credibility. Say what you will about the guy, hate him for how he acts, or whatever; but the guy clearly has some talent. It's one thing to hate the guy for the crap he pulls, but he's a talented and acclaimed voice actor; and when you go so far as to refuse giving credit where it's due it makes your criticism seem less that of an objective viewer and more that of a typical anti-fanboy. And for the record, yeah, I think the guys behavior has just been moronic at times, but he's still a good actor regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Granamonkey wrote:
Namikawa Daisuke largely made this series for me, along with a few of the other voice actors. Because of that I don't really care who's in the English cast and I may purchase the series if a Japanese dub is included. I loved the nonsensical and usually nonlinear story telling. The twists at the end of every episode was thoroughly enjoyable. Even though a twist was expected, the exact twist was always hilariously out there.

This. It was one of my favourite shows on Crunchyroll two years ago when I started in January. I'll be importing this whether the dub is good or not. Probably the best back then.

And possibly double dipping when MVM or Manga UK pick it up...
Wish I could see the trailer... Probably going to cheat to do so later... >_>

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I haven't seen the show or read the Level E manga but I'm 99.999999% certain that Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter are infinitely better.

I doubt anybody except the most passionate fans will even remember this show or the dub a couple years from now.

I haven't seen the Yu Yu Hakushow or manga but I'm 99.999999% certain that Level E and Hunter x Hunter are infinitely better.

I can make poorly informed comments too. Very Happy

Speaking seriously, about them. Level E is a concise, horror, comedy trollfest done in 3 volumes or 12 episodes. Regardless of how well Hunter x Hunter has provided many arcs and balanced a cheerful lead character in a dark fantasy with a brilliant power system and balance. I have to suffer waiting for the guy to finish, bouts of poor "artwork" and filler or poor pacing in the animated versions.

The only people

On Vic...
I think the hate here is pretty inflated.
The impression some people here on ANN give implies that Vic Mignogna is a demon Justin Beiber who constantly attempts to push you over to his religion.

I enjoyed his work in Ouran High School Host Club among other works and hope he do a good job here. Otherwise, the work subbed on it's own is worth buying, even if you can watch it on Crunchyroll. >_> It's that good.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
The guy goes out of his way to make himself known and will get upset if someone doesn't know who he is. For example I didn't know who he was when I ran into him at Sakuracon years ago and he was less than thrilled about it. The guy also publicly posted his resume on his own fan website that contained his home address (before he moved to California) and phone number. Not to mention he has on more than one occasion called fans using his personal cellphone number. Hard to feel sorry for someone who goes out of his way to seek attention.

Rukiia, I have just the comic for you:

animenewsnetwork.com/anime-news-nina/2007-12-05

Oh, and this one too:

animenewsnetwork.com/anime-news-nina/2007-11-14
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Personally, if this is the way of the American industry, I hope it dies. Then no one can complain about how they get their anime dubbed, subbed or at a "decent price." Rolling Eyes

Kaz, lets not screw ourselves over just because people are baawing about nothing Wink

Well put.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I know. That was simply a remark based on things they do that I don't like.

Better than "Let's all hate the dude that played Ed Elric" if you ask me.

Totally agree, on that last part.

I'm not sure why it's that big of a deal that they do most of their dubs in-house (so were ADV's and now Sentai's), plus they've been adding more VAs over the last year or two and I think they make good to often great dubs depending on the shows IMO. I more think it's ashame that Bandai/Geneon's gone so we can't get more New Gen/Animaze/Bandai-cast dubs sprinkled in (with like the Crispin Freeman's and Kari Walgren's, two of my other favorites, etc.) but apparently no one can really afford them it seems anymore?

I actually think so far they're doing a pretty good job when needed as I'm just glad that at least they are willing (at least so far) to go outside from time to time when they need to keep a VA for certain shows or attempt to start a relationship with ones they're gonna need, like how they seemingly started working with JYB even before he recorded for Trigun: Badlands Rumble (since I heard him in Basara) and now he's continued to do some stuff for Funi or how they went outside to get back the lead Evangelion voice cast including even Misato's VA who apparently doesn't even do it regularly anymore and Asuka's who's strongly part of Sentai, as well as Shinji's who's still pretty active. That was pretty remarkable and awesome having most of the iconic Eva voices back for the new movies (and they're doing a great job returning to their old roles).

As long as they bring back the original VAs for their biggest rescues/stuff/shows that made big names on their dubs like shows that got on AS or like the rest of Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon (any other future mostly universally praised dub, etc. like if there were to ever be a second Bebop movie without Bandai around now), and hopefully get Stephanie Sheh (and anyone else needed at the end) back for Eureka when they do their next big show, Eureka Seven AO, I'll probably be pretty happy if they can at least do it for these big things where it should clearly be affordable, even if it would ofcourse be best if they could always bring back entire old casts for stuff they pick up, like Shana (even if I'm not getting it) or Fafner (which I am) etc.

So yeah, for having their own studio, I think they've done a rather good job of trying to go outside when really expected of them (Hellsing seems to be keeping theirs and they did way better on Eva than expected getting 3 of the 4 and people they've never worked with before back for their iconic roles, and they probably would have gotten Rei's back too), the only time I consider they have screwed up was not giving Nimoy more time to figure out how to get in on Wolfwood for the Trigun movie, or just met him halfway paying him half his travel, or at the very least giving him a last chance to say yes before feeling he wasn't going to give in and going ahead and recording it since he reportedly still felt they were in negotiation and something could have still been worked out. I think that's pretty good for someone who has their own studio and does good dubs in-house.

Hopefully they keep making good decisions upon where they'll really mess up if they don't go the extra mile and get back the old VAs (Black Lagoon's is next when they get to the new Roberta's Blood Trail and Eureka's VA for E7:AO is there next big one in my opinion since she's so iconic; the first show is back on AS so hopefully this one will follow it on right after E7 ends; and she's so important to feel and sound the same spoiler[being the new main character's mother and a key to the story]).
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
Do you have proof? Is this really all true or are you from.....4CHAN!?

Haven't been on 4chan for years since /d/ got spammed by the futa and I got disgusted by it. Can't understand why some folks get off of girls with breasts the size of 20 inch rims and penises that belong on a horse......
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Oh yeah, he's a total jag, but so is Tom Cruise and he still makes great movies.

But Tom Cruise has talent. Vic Mignogna doesn't (well, not a lot, anyway).

That's bull. I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous at this point. Not to mention your constant need to soapbox on Vic really makes one wonder, but more importantly kind of draws a big cloud of doubt over your assessments credibility. Say what you will about the guy, hate him for how he acts, or whatever; but the guy clearly has some talent. It's one thing to hate the guy for the crap he pulls, but he's a talented and acclaimed voice actor; and when you go so far as to refuse giving credit where it's due it makes your criticism seem less that of an objective viewer and more that of a typical anti-fanboy. And for the record, yeah, I think the guys behavior has just been moronic at times, but he's still a good actor regardless.

I'm gonna have to partially call you out on this. After he got "famous" with the Edward Elric role, a good number of his subsequent VA work suspiciously sounds like....Edward Elric. I point to the Level E and the Pokemon dubs as recent examples. Tell me you can't hear Edward Elric in those voices.

He may have talent, but I think he's squandering it and is trying to ride on the Ed coat tails as much as he can by using the Ed voice in as many roles as he can put into.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
stuff

But...the Ed voice is pretty much his natural voice, so yeah you'd be able to hear it in his other roles. Maybe you can fault him for not altering it but japan does that as well. Lets face it, Paku Romi is an amazing VA but every time I've heard her, I've been able to tell who she is instantly because she does the same voice every time - and I don't even KNOW japanese VAs well.

That said, Vic has been doing the same kind of voice since before Ed anyway. Dark, anyone?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Anyways, holler if Funimation ever decides to record their next show outside of Texas for a change.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen any time soon, WeirD.

They've only done it for shows when they reunite a voice cast (Slayers, Tenchi, Hellsing), but they, unfortunately, don't ALWAYS do that (Trigun, Shana, still pissed about both...).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Yeah, like that's gonna happen any time soon, WeirD.

They've only done it for shows when they reunite a voice cast (Slayers, Tenchi, Hellsing), but they, unfortunately, don't ALWAYS do that (Trigun, Shana, still pissed about both...).

Is should be known that Trigun and Shana aren't huge sellers, just enough to sell over 3,000 units. Hellsing is a huge title, they knew that was going to bring in the money.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

And as I keep saying, I do not care about Mr. Mignogna's behavior. He could burn cats alive for all I care. Talent is all that matters to me in a VA. And I don't believe he's talented. He sounds forced in pretty much every role I hear him in. He has no emotional depth.

I'm sorry that because I disagree with you I lose credibility, but stop pretending my credibility in your eyes means anything to anyone but yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And as I keep saying, I do not care about Mr. Mignogna's behavior. He could burn cats alive for all I care. Talent is all that matters to me in a VA.

So your not concerned that there could be a possibility that a VA's personal life could affect their professional life?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
And as I keep saying, I do not care about Mr. Mignogna's behavior. He could burn cats alive for all I care. Talent is all that matters to me in a VA.

So your not concerned that there could be a possibility that a VA's personal life could affect their professional life?

I'm not looking for nice people in VAs. I'm looking for talented people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7