• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1 & 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I realise that, but getting a regionless player + the import is probably still cheaper than buying Aniplex's release, especially if you hate Aniplex that much...

Yeah... that kind of misses the point. I brought up the UK price as a contrast to the AoA price. It's not actually about the UK price, but the AoA price.

And that doesn't address the other points I brought up, especially the part about how prices as high as AoA is setting result in people being able to afford fewer anime titles overall (unless they're oozing with cash). This is not good for the anime industry as a whole (at least the part that resides in the US).

Oh, and I just realized that I've gotten way off topic, so I'll stop now. Sorry, Moderators. Razz
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess all i can say at this point is i'll be curious to see if the US series release did as well as they wanted it to, that they feel it will be profitable enough for them to give the movies the same treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Yeah, I agree, and my point is that given how the show is the one of the best of all time, even with a reduced episode count you're still getting a good deal. The increase in quality more than makes up for the decrease in episode count (or minutes of animation) per dollar spent.

Compared to what I've paid for comparatively good series, it's a worse deal. The "quality" part is a non-issue as I've said before if I didn't think a series was good quality, I wouldn't pay for it.

Quote:

Just because Britain is getting a better deal than you doesn't mean that you aren't getting a good deal in the first place.

That's exactly what it means.

Quote:

Like I said, if you can't afford it then you aren't the type of consumer Aniplex is looking to cater to. They are aiming their releases at the uber fans, the die-hard collectors. Not Joe Bloggs or Jane Doe who might have $20-$30 to spend on Anime at the end of the month.

It's like a guy on the average wage complaining that he can't buy a Ferrari because they are unreasonably expensive. Those cars aren't aimed at people like him in the first place, so him complaining about it at every opportunity is hilariously misguided and pointless at best, and obnoxious at worst.

You're analogy is ridiculous. You're comparing a good series in a niche fandom to a luxury car in an the vast sea known as the auto industry? Right. Apples and oranges my friend.

Why would you purposely limit the people you want to sell to within a fandom that's already relatively small? Not only that but the "diehards" in this nick of the woods are comparatively outnumbered by your "Joe Bloggs."

Yes, alienate the small number of people in your consumer base. Let's wait and see how long that works out for them.

Quote:

Well then it will be interesting to see if Aniplex can survive without your money. I'm betting that they will.

Patronizing comment aside, like I've said before, I'm not the only person who feels this way. Lost revenue adds up. Let's wait and see.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
kakitamike wrote:
Honestly, the price wasn't the main deterrent. It was episodes split over 3 individually packaged discs. If they had put out a 2 disc collection in a single case for $100, i probably would of bought it. I know some people don't like seeing 6 episodes a disc, but for a "cheap" dvd release, I would of been happy.

You mean like the complete series that is being sold in one package for $40 bucks (on BD) in the UK?

But we should be happy that costs three times that here in the US... :/

The problem is that America has been spoiled for so long compared to other regions. Seriously you should check out how much shows cost over here in New Zealand. It is usually ALOT cheaper for me to purchase from the USA AND pay the international shipping. Also you get many more releases than other regions, well mostly (looks at his Higurashi Season 2 and Cardcaptor Sakura DVD's)

I've paid 20-30 for a series, but never that for a new release. If you don't like the price wait a year for when they will release it as a collection. That's the typical model and IMHO it's the way it should be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex has yet to strike out (as far as anyone can tell me), so they must be doing something right.

They're not going to make lots of money by competing directly with FUNimation so they don't even try.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
You're analogy is ridiculous. You're comparing a good series in a niche fandom to a luxury car in an the vast sea known as the auto industry? Right. Apples and oranges my friend.
I'm sorry, but do you even understand how analogies work? Even if we shrink the auto market to scale, it's still like bitching about how BMW will never get your business until they start pricing like Toyota.
Quote:
Why would you purposely limit the people you want to sell to within a fandom that's already relatively small? Not only that but the "diehards" in this nick of the woods are comparatively outnumbered by your "Joe Bloggs."

Yes, alienate the small number of people in your consumer base. Let's wait and see how long that works out for them.
And yet Funimation's starting to play with super-premium sets, rather than AoA playing with SAVE pricing(to return to the car metaphor, BMW has yet to do budget cars while Toyota came out with Lexus). Curse the winds all you want, but the facts on the ground won't change.
Quote:
I'm not the only person who feels this way. Lost revenue adds up. Let's wait and see.
But you're not lost revenue - you're at best a part of an unexploited market, much as the standard car market's unexploited by BMW. Is their chosen market enough to support AoA? Signs point to yes.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
"I want your product. If you do not price it to match whatever my personal standard is, you have failed, you are losing revenue and your business model is a dangerous failure."

"We're doing fine, our products sell out and we're keeping the lights on."

"...I want your product. If you do not price it to match..."
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Might pick this up eventually; probably just the regular DVDs. As for the pricing, yeah, the TV series LEs are a bit expensive, but welcome to the wonderful world of limited edition crap.

At least we're not dealing with the first disc-only-gets-1-episode garbage that Japanese BDs have sometimes... Aniplex USA caters to collectors, just like NISA does. A niche within a niche. Inexpensive, non-messed-with Blus are going to be difficult to get here for some time without some sort of catch due to us being the same region as Japan and OMGREVERSEIMPORTATION. Europe is OK because they're not. No OMGREVERSEIMPORTATION, no dub only or arbitrary premiums or 1-2 year delays (unless they get their English-language materials from us).

At least we're getting the limited edition crap. I would like a limited edition of Ace Attorney 5 with awesome lawyer figures. Will it come out here? Not a chance in hell.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I'm sorry, but do you even understand how analogies work? Even if we shrink the auto market to scale, it's still like bitching about how BMW will never get your business until they start pricing like Toyota.

Do you? There is such a thing as a good analogy and a bad analogy. The auto industry doesn't work for reasons beyond scale, though scale alone makes it a bad analogy. Defending using the auto industry as analogy is like saying there isn't a better analogy and when it comes to this particular topic there are plenty of better analogies. We're talking about a anime series that people have seen already via streaming, fansubs, etc. They know what the product is and what they want is that very specific product that can't be replicated. The same can't be said about a car.

Although there may be people who'd like to drive a BMW or an Audi or and Escalade etc. etc. etc. most people can find a lower end car that comes with the features they want at an affordable price. I don't know many people who'd bitch about not being able to afford a Mercedes or a BMW etc. etc. those are luxury cars and most people who buy them buy them to have them not really to use them much. They're like trophies. Using a luxury car as an analogy would only work if we were talking about collectibles. And unelss people who bought the LEs were comprised of people who wanted to leave in it's packaged unopened to accrue value, this is not what were talking about. I'm sure most people who bought the LEs, have opened them up and watched them over and over.

Anyway I hate to keep belaboring the issue. The analogy wasn't good. There are better analogies.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
No, I do not want to see PMMM streamed. I want my own copy in my own BD player.

No, I am not saying that I will only pay a "little money" for it: I'll even pay above the market average for one cours BD title. And this *same title* is available in the UK for $40, on BD.

Import the UK release, and hack your BD player (or buy one that's hacked). You'll be a much happier fan, and you can import other European releases, too, when they're cheaper.

Quote:
No, telling Aniplex to drop their prices is telling them that I will not buy their product for what they are asking. In fact, by continuing this policy they are restricting the overall anime market since most people only have so much they can spend on anime, and so they will be able to buy fewer titles.

Write to your Congressman, and ask for price capping for anime? Maybe he or she would consider it, since they don't seem to be doing anything important.

Quote:
I care about being able to purchase the anime I want at a reasonable price.

I bought the LE sets from TRSI at a reasonable price (a small fraction of what it cost me to import the six BDs) when I double-dipped, and the DVD/BD RE singles are even cheaper.

Polycell wrote:
Funimation's starting to play with super-premium sets, rather than AoA playing with SAVE pricing

What does Funi have that's "super-premium"? I'd consider SELain to be just "premium" (and their first title in a long time that I've felt might be worth owning, since most everything of theirs is a bare-bones release).

Quote:
But you're not lost revenue - you're at best a part of an unexploited market, much as the standard car market's unexploited by BMW.

Isn't BMW's MINI line standard enough? Or are they still too expensive?

I'm hoping that Aniplex chooses to do a simultaneous release with the two Madoka movies, so that we get them as soon as possible...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Gah, I was going to drop this, but then Zac made a comment so I guess it's okay for us to continue on this line for a bit longer...

About the car analogy: my version would be that it would be as if all that was for sale were luxury cars. So, if you want a car, you need to buy one of those, otherwise make do without one. And I deny that AoA's products are to other anime companies' products somehow analogous to what BMWs are to some base model Ford. Maybe others think that, but I certainly do not.

And I'm not sure if Zac's comment was aimed at me, but I can accept that AoA's business strategy appears to be working for AoA. But I don't think it helps the anime industry as a whole, and it doesn't work for me, either. If other companies engaged in the same strategy, I think it would have a seriously negative effect on anime in the US. I can't imagine that the market would do anything but shrink and in the end there would be only a few fans who bought anything; the rest would either do without buying physical media, or they'd just leave the fandom altogether... and the numbers who did this would not be small, IMO.

As for hacking my BD player: no way. I spent a lot of money on it, and I'm not going to go messing around with it. Besides, this is about AoA's pricing, not about how I can jury-rig some way to get something to play on my BD player.

I've never said that I thought my refusal to pay the price-gouging costs that AoA offers is going to change AoA in any way. It'll result in the loss of a few sales to me and that's it. But even so, I am not going to support their business plan by paying what they're asking: that'd be akin to me screwing myself over, IMO, and as I said I think AoA's business strategy is bad for the anime market in general, even if it is profitable for AoA.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Although there may be people who'd like to drive a BMW or an Audi or and Escalade etc. etc. etc. most people can find a lower end car that comes with the features they want at an affordable price.

Define "affordable price", because that's entirely subjective. Your definition and my definition and Bill Gates' definition are all going to differ.

kakoishii wrote:
I don't know many people who'd bitch about not being able to afford a Mercedes or a BMW etc. etc. those are luxury cars ... They're like trophies.

Ding ding. We have a winner. You got it.

PMMM is a high-end product with nice packaging and extras (although I didn't need the post cards), released by a high-end company which aims its releases at the high-end of the market. Those LEs are the equivalent to trophies, paraded around and put on display by the proud fans who bought them.

If PMMM is a Ferrari then something like UN-GO is a Ford; it works alright but it won't impress you or others. You can't expect to buy a Ferrari at the same price as a Ford.

kakoishii wrote:
Using a luxury car as an analogy would only work if we were talking about collectibles. And unelss people who bought the LEs were comprised of people who wanted to leave in it's packaged unopened to accrue value, this is not what were talking about. I'm sure most people who bought the LEs, have opened them up and watched them over and over.

Whoops, I spoke too soon. It looks like you missed the point entirely.

Instead of complaining about the strength or aptness of the analogy, how about you understand the simple underlying point; don't expect nice things to be priced as low as everything else.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
...and as I said I think AoA's business strategy is bad for the anime market in general, even if it is profitable for AoA.

This is completely besides the point. We were talking about if Aniplex is justified in charging high prices, not whether Aniplex's business plan is good for the industry or not. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

You know, I wondered which one of you would bring this up in a desperate attempt to keep attacking Aniplex even when your original argument (that Aniplex was shooting itself in the foot) was shot down. But I didn't think it would be you.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Define "affordable price", because that's entirely subjective.

No, it's comparative. You bring up a luxury car and then you name a stadard model like a Ford. Fords are comparatively cheaper to say a BMW, and although a Ford isn't a BMW one could find a Ford that had features one would desire (i.e. gas efficiency, gps system etc.). One finding owning a car expensive in itself is a whole other story. You can't buy a car $1, there is more a less a baseline one could use to definitely state "this is as an affordable car" vs. "this a pricier car."
Quote:

Ding ding. We have a winner. You got it.

PMMM is a high-end product with nice packaging and extras (although I didn't need the post cards), released by a high-end company which aims its releases at the high-end of the market. Those LEs are the equivalent to trophies, paraded around and put on display by the proud fans who bought them.

If PMMM is a Ferrari then something like UN-GO is a Ford; it works alright but it won't impress you or others. You can't expect to buy a Ferrari at the same price as a Ford.

::facepalm:: This is why I say your analogy doesn't work. A car is general. If we break what a car does to its base usability, it's a mode of transportation. When we purchase a car the common thing we have in mind is something to get us from point a to point b. The rest is extra. I want a car that's red. I won't a car with a gps system. I want a car with spinny spinny rims. The list goes on. At the end of the day people will get what they want out of a car at a price that's affordable to them. Maybe they'll get all the extras they want, maybe they wont either way they walk away satisfied because they got what they generally wanted: a mode of transportation. Not only that but from model to model they could get exactly what they want as one brand could offer all the extras they want at the right price while another brand might only offer half of them for a higher price.

You can't break down a entertainment in the same way because you can't generalize what you want out of it. Sure you could say at the base of all entertainment we want to be entertained, but the how isn't extra it's all a part of it. I want to watch a comedy. I want to watch a comedy with no potty humor. I don't want it to be littered with cliche's. I want the premise to be interesting. The list goes on.

As far as the Madoka LEs are concerned you can't compare it to a car. I can't shop around and find a Madoka clone being released by Funi or Sentai at different prices. Only Aniplex has what I want and it's not at an affordable price and there are no alternatives as there would be if you're shopping for car. You can't extend the analogy by comparing Madoka to Ungo, it'd be like comparing a car to a motor cycle there both transportation vehicles but they work in different ways, have a different feels, etc. etc.

The car analogy does not work, and trying to make it work is merely confusing the issue.

Quote:

Whoops, I spoke too soon. It looks like you missed the point entirely.

Instead of complaining about the strength or aptness of the analogy, how about you understand the simple underlying point; don't expect nice things to be priced as low as everything else.

??? What are you talking about? Let's start at the beginning. Are you saying that Madoka is a collectible that's meant to be purchased but never opened or used for entertainment? Secondly don't be absurd. Just last week I purchased the rerelease of Ergo Proxy. The show is awesome, one of the best that I've seen. I paid just under $30 for all 24 episodes and I'm thoroughly satisfied. The set would've been worth$60-$50 to me, but the point is I received a very nice thing very inexpensively. Just last year I bought all 3 LE remastered box sets for Revolutionary Girl Utena. The series is another one I find to be very well written. The dvds came in beautiful black cardboard boxes with equally beautiful box art design. They came with booklets that contained thoughtfully written director commentary for every episode. The grand total for the purchase was about $115 give or take not including shipping for all 39 episodes and the movie and it was worth the price and I was satisfied in the end. It's not unreasonable to expect nice things within a price range that the industry is more or less working on right now i.e. 12 episodes for roughly $40-$50.

Last edited by kakoishii on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
...and as I said I think AoA's business strategy is bad for the anime market in general, even if it is profitable for AoA.

This is completely besides the point. We were talking about if Aniplex is justified in charging high prices, not whether Aniplex's business plan is good for the industry or not. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

You know, I wondered which one of you would bring this up in a desperate attempt to keep attacking Aniplex even when your original argument (that Aniplex was shooting itself in the foot) was shot down. But I didn't think it would be you.

That's because I've never argued that AoA was shooting itself in the foot. Maybe other people have said that, but I have not. It's possible that in the long run they will, but if it happens at all it will be a ways off.

My argument (or, rather, complaint) was that AoA was engaging in price-gouging: that is, they were charging far more than reasonable for their titles. Certainly far more than I am willing to pay for them. I then mentioned the price of PMMM in the UK to contrast what AoA is asking for the same title here in the US.

There are several of us who are unhappy with AoA's pricing strategy, and we've made various comments about it. I'm sure that someone *has* said that AoA is shooting itself in the foot, but that person wasn't me. I did say that I thought it was bad for the industry, and I continue to believe that.

I do not believe that AoA is justified in their price-points. But that's not the same as saying that I think it is bad *for them*. I think it's bad *for us*. If I were the CEO of AoA, I would possibly view things differently, but I'm an anime fan who likes to own good anime, so my perspective is going to be different.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
"I want your product. If you do not price it to match whatever my personal standard is, you have failed, you are losing revenue and your business model is a dangerous failure."

"We're doing fine, our products sell out and we're keeping the lights on."

"...I want your product. If you do not price it to match..."

To be fair, they don't have to compete for licenses like Funi and Sentai, as they are wholly owned by one of Japan's largest multinationals who just happens to also own the corresponding music and anime production companies... In other words, they don't respond to market forces because they operate under different rules from others... If they accidentally price something too high and can't move enough units, it's no problem since Sony has their back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9