• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NISA Explains It All

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
I will probably buy Pandora Hearts, possibly Persona. The other two don't look enough like my type of thing to chance $60 on half season sets. The sub/dub thing isn't an issue for me. I hope they can stream a couple of episodes so I can get an idea.

It almost sounds like they plan to release these properties similar in format to Nozomi releases. If that is the case, they'll probably get more of my money. I'm hoping they will address the issues with subtitles. Hopefully, hearing about the concerns via the podcast will make a difference in the final product. I never feel ripped-off with a Nozomi purchase. I hope they look to them, rather than Section 23 as they produce their sub-only releases.

Podcast was great, if short. Only question I wished were asked would have been about projected release dates.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:39 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
And yeah, the Disgaea anime was horrible. Fans got upset it wasn't more in line with the game's story. Then they got mad at the poor animation quality. And then they got mad at the horrible story that the anime did have. While I would like the idea of a Disgaea 2 anime, arguably the better story of the three; and a Disgaea 3 anime, whose story is pretty open to anime only episode inserts; the first anime leaves me skeptical if they could ever make a good Disgaea anime.

I imported the original promotional DVD which suggested the series would be following the game (at least, it started the same way with Etna waking Laharl) and had decent animation. I never got beyond the first couple of episodes of the anime itself.

DerekTheRed wrote:
Any interest that the anime drums up would likely be for the first Disgaea game, the one whose characters are in the anime. And by now any sales of Disgaea 1 would be secondary market sales, which don't net anything for NIS.

Not if they make the PSP version available for download through the Playstation Store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
Yep, the NISA peeps sounded great. I'm usually a bargain hunter as opposed to an early adopter, but I'm so thrilled that somebody is willing to take the plunge in the R1 DVD anime market that I will scoop Toradora! as soon as it is available (kinda helps that I totally love that show and can't wait to put it in a place of honour on my shelves). Not ecstatic that it won't be hybrid and the price point will be likely higher than I like to pay, but sometimes you just gotta say wtf.

Not sure about the other three titles because I'm totally unfamiliar with them, but I'll sample them online and if I like them, there's an excellent chance I may scoop some or all of them as well.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it, they should JUST dub Toradora and release everything else sub-only. I mean, Toradora is profitable and I just can't see it without a dub when so many other companies could have dubbed it.

Pandora Hearts and the other titles are a bit more niche, so maybe they should just release those sub-only and Toradora bilingual.

I'm not as excited about a new company in anime if it doesn't mean more work for VAs, and since they use VAs for their games, I'd like to see them do that with their anime.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I held off on watching fansubs of Toradora because I wanted to watch it in english. But seeing as that isn't an option anymore, it looks like its the pirate's life for me. I'm always more than willing to purchase an anime I enjoyed but these bastids have forced my hand. Oh well, now I don't have to wait.
MARl0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I love NISA's games. But with no dub, I'm afraid that I just can't support them on this one. I wish them the best of luck, but they won't get any of my money on the anime side of things until they change that. I'll be glad to keep buying their games though.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
I held off on watching fansubs of Toradora because I wanted to watch it in english. But seeing as that isn't an option anymore, it looks like its the pirate's life for me. I'm always more than willing to purchase an anime I enjoyed but these bastids have forced my hand. Oh well, now I don't have to wait.

Grrrr . . . just because a series doesn't get a dub--or for those that do, just because you don't like dubs--doesn't make it "OK" for you to watch it fansubbed--it's a serious blow to the industry and it's annoying to see so many fans act as if anime is in public domain just because it wasn't made in your country. I mean, there's no reason you can't rent, borrow from a friend or watch a legal stream (if available).
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ya, what's up with the refrain from putting your hands in your pockets to buy top titles, you guys want them in North America right? So, let's do it the right way! Smile

60 $ is nothing for an anime series. They picked up the finest titles for various genre so I'm really happy to even see them do that. At that point when anime is licensed people should start buying them and fansubs drop them from their site.

If this continues I think will just have to report every sites that doesn't comply to help the industry. Fan subs and fan sites should help the promo of anime and work hand in hand with the Japanese production companies but when the anime is available for sale in North America it should be bought, seriously.

They are making huge efforts to make this available to us either on legal channels streaming on the net or bring us the DVD when it's licensed. I say this is more than fair trade at this point if we want them to go on that route even more. Results will matter a lot in their decisions.

They should stream one episode on ANN or Crunchyroll to give the fans an idea of the quality of their product then put the DVDs for sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5