• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds House of Five Leaves, The Tatami Galaxy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Good thing for Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei and Yuasa, except for the English title which is just... maybe the worst I've seen in my entire life.

While "The Tatami Galaxy" isn't a very lyrical title, I don't think the original title lends itself very easily to an good sounding translation.

四畳半神話大系 translates literally to Summary/Compendium of a 4-1/2 Tatami Mat Legend. Since 4-1/2 tatami mats refers to the small room size (about 9'x 9'), I guess you could change it to Legend of a Small Room or something like that, but it still doesn't sound like something that would fly off shelves from the title alone. Maybe someone with better Japanese than mine could think of a better translation, but I imagine "The Tatami Galaxy" is set in stone now.

Speaking of the title, from a design standpoint, I like what they did with the Japanese title logo, the first character 四 (four) is morphed into a 4-1/2 tatami mat layout. I thought that was clever. The art that goes along with it is also based around a 4-1/2 tatami mat layout, though a different one than in the title.

kikiyo2 wrote:
Funimation REALLY needs to knock it off with this licensing shows before they air nonsense. It makes it a lot harder fans who care about quality or if they're not USA to see these shows cause Funimation will jus send out a bunch of C&Ds to fansubbers. This just limits their audience which hurts both Funimation and the ORIGINAL creators. Stop being selfish already.

LOL. Because C&Ds have done so much to stop fansubbing. Name a single show where a C&D caused more than a temporary hiccup in fansubbing. Don't worry, you'll still get your free anime, and you'll get to whine about Funi at the same time. It's the best of both worlds.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rij

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
House of Five Leaves: I was excited and happy for five minutes. Then I found out that it'd only be available in North America. Bah. I guess I'll stick to the manga, at least sigIkki is global and books are shipped everywhere.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
Funimation REALLY needs to knock it off with this licensing shows before they air nonsense. It makes it a lot harder fans who care about quality or if they're not USA to see these shows cause Funimation will jus send out a bunch of C&Ds to fansubbers. This just limits their audience which hurts both Funimation and the ORIGINAL creators. Stop being selfish already.

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They're trying to keep people from fansubbing for English speakers, but at least there's a legal option, it's not like we have to depend on fansubbers as much, a few years ago, there wouldn't have even been a legal option, so just be happy about getting it legally. I never watch fansubs since there's quite a few shows legally streamed and I don't really want to have to deal with the hassle of downloading anyway. Legal streams are much easier to watch, so what Funi's video portal isn't fancy like YouTube, they've got their own YouTube channel so if you live in the U.S., you shouldn't complain. I'm sick of all these whiners who insist everyone must see anime fansubbed in 1080P.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I would have preferred Crunchyroll picking up streaming rights for these two since they at least gave you streaming options for whether you wanted the video in SD or HD. Funi doesn't have such options and as I'm typing now, I'm still waiting for the first episode of House of Five Leaves to get done loading up.
If FUNi's video player still isn't working for you, you can check it out on Youtube instead.

A lot better than waiting from Funi's video site. Thank you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
People predict the internet will end copyright or end whatever, but I have to believe it's going to end regions. The day will come when companies buy the rights to release something in a given language, since nowadays you can purchase, download, or stream anything from anywhere, national borders be damned. For the time being, here's hoping Fuji TV makes similar deals in your regions.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I probably won't bother checking these out until they pop on Hulu or YouTube (if they ever do.) I've pretty much given up on getting Funi's player to work.

However, they do sound a bit interesting, if not exactly original.

House of 5 leaves is on YouTube. And georestricted. *sigh*
Why can't FUNi at least state where they have the rights for when they license things, at least CR does that.
Not that FUNi streams are that good, the FMA stream we have from them is godawful quality. And this isn't going to do the, normally lax (this is general not just to FUNi), quality control on the subs any good either. I doubt they'll bother to fix any mistakes if it does get to disk release.

Would you look at that, they did!
Quote:
Flower Mound, TX – April 15, 2010 -- FUNimation® Entertainment is partnering with the leading and largest Japanese broadcast television network, Fuji Television Network, Inc., to simulcast anime series featured in its late-night Noitamina programming block airing in Japan on Thursday nights. The partnership gives the American anime leader rights to the online streaming and simulcast of the series in Noitamina in the U.S.

“We are excited to bring this programming to the North American audience,” said Koji Yamamoto, producer of the Noitamina block at Fuji Television, “and to bring it with FUNimation Entertainment, with which we enjoy a long and cooperative relationship.”

“This is a fantastic opportunity to work again with the formidable Fuji TV,” said Gen Fukunaga, president and CEO at FUNimation Entertainment, “particularly on the debut of a new Noitamina lineup. This highly-rated block has already launched hits like ‘Eden of The East’ and 'Tokyo Magnitude 8.0' and we hope to extend that success for these new series in the U.S.”

“House of the Five Leaves” will premiere on Fuji TV on early Friday morning, April 16 at 1:30 a.m. Japanese Standard Time (JST) and at 12:30 p.m. CDT Thursday, April 15, just one hour after its Japanese debut, FUNimation will deliver the first episode of the series for North American streaming via www.funimation.com.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
However, I don't think that everyone quite understands just how major this announcement is. FUNimation will now be simulcasting Fuji TV's Noitamina block in of itself, not just these two series. There have been a great deal of notable and highly-rated works that have come on in that covented block and now we'll have the opporitunity to watch those same shows soon after they've aired.

Werd. For those who may not be familiar with the Noitamina roster check this out this Murderer's Row of Awesomeness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noitamina

Whooaaa, I hope that this does mean a longer Noitamina/Funi partnership since those were some pretty good titles and I'd love to see more of that stuff in the future.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Both Noitamina titles on FUNi streaming legal?!

Oh happy HAPPY day!
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Both these shows look horrible. They should have gotten K-ON and Angel Beats.

Dude. If this is serious, c'mon: House of Five Leaves is from the director of Twin Spica and a bunch of Samurai Champloo staff. It's at least worth giving a try, don't you think?

Oh and yeah, the Masaaki Yuasa show could be really cool too. I've heard good things but this'll be the first time I'm seeing his work.

FireChick wrote:
FUNimation? I ask you to license another Noitamina show.

TOKYO MAGNITUDE 8.0!!! BRING IT HERE ALREADY!!!

Seconded. Definitely one of the most unusual shows from last year, and well worth seeing. The what-if scenario is, if anything, more timely now.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
That is absolutely fantastic news. Way to go Funimation. I was thinking that legal streaming would be a bust this season but at the last minute you pick up my most anticipated title of the season. I'm really glad to see Galaxy streaming as well. I don't really know what to make of it but I'd like to check it out for the visual style alone.

I guess it would be too much to hope they get Night Raid as well.

Zilan wrote:
Both these shows look horrible. They should have gotten K-ON and Angel Beats.

It saddens me that we share a fandom.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Excuse me for not wanting to watch more of the same samurai/pyscho drama crap churned out of Japanese studios.

Watch it before you judge it.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Come on, Funi, spit out those Shikabane series, why dontcha? Or would you prefer I keep my money?

check out the topic. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-17/funimation-confirms-strike-witches-cast-fma-street-date
Basically it says that "The DVDs for the Shikabane Hime series will be available in summer 2010." I quoted the thread on that.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:

Would you look at that, they did!

It says that on all the ones that aren't geoblocked too.
Litterally checking on a show by show basis which videos work is the only way to know wether they're available to us or not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Come on, Funi, spit out those Shikabane series, why dontcha? Or would you prefer I keep my money?

check out the topic. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-17/funimation-confirms-strike-witches-cast-fma-street-date
Basically it says that "The DVDs for the Shikabane Hime series will be available in summer 2010." I quoted the thread on that.

WOO-HOO!!! Thanks for pointing that out, I completely missed that announcement. I'll be watching Funi's summer solicitation announcements like a hawk.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I got an email from Funi about the new simulcasts and the language of the email makes it sound like the partnership with noitaminA will go beyond just these two.

Quote:
“House of Five Leaves” and “The Tatami Galaxy” are first on the list of simulcasts from the noitaminA (that's "Animation" backwards) block that we're streaming. You can read up more on the deal with Fuji TV on our blog or just get to watching on Hulu, YouTube or FUNimation.com.

And their blog post on the announcement does also say "FUNimation Entertainment Enters Simulcast Partnership with Fuji TV for NoitaminA Block Anime Leader to Stream Episodes within One Hour of Japanese Television Debut."
Fingers crossed that I did read this right! Plus, CR has one or two more simulcasts to announce this season so I can't wait to see what happens next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6