• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Connecticut Group Collects 'Violent' Games, Discs to Destroy Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I do believe people have the right to own firearms, and I see no problem with semi-automatics either.

The problem is how people treat each other, that is the bottom line. We have a society that creates sociopathic monsters like a factory line.

The problems begin early in school with cliques and bullying, and outside of school factors like child and sexual abuse.

Adults in school only pay lip service to bullying. There is no justice in school either. All parties in any conflict are usually found guilty. So if you stand up for yourself against physical harm, the administration will find you at fault also. The school administration would rather you get injured and harmed, rather than you taking any actions to defend yourself.

Guns are not the issue, it is the people and especially the children we discard and allow others to abuse them.
Your correct that the gun itself [is not] the issue. It is the all too easily available access to those guns by the very people you just listed [is] the issue.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
I do believe people have the right to own firearms, and I see no problem with semi-automatics either.

The problem is how people treat each other, that is the bottom line. We have a society that creates sociopathic monsters like a factory line.

The problems begin early in school with cliques and bullying, and outside of school factors like child and sexual abuse.

Adults in school only pay lip service to bullying. There is no justice in school either. All parties in any conflict are usually found guilty. So if you stand up for yourself against physical harm, the administration will find you at fault also. The school administration would rather you get injured and harmed, rather than you taking any actions to defend yourself.

Guns are not the issue, it is the people and especially the children we discard and allow others to abuse them.
Your correct that the gun itself [is not] the issue. It is the all too easily available access to those guns by the very people you just listed [is] the issue.

Guess it is the American way, to punish everyone for the fault of a few, and ignore the real issue.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Finland and Switzerland have some of the highest rates of civilian gun ownership outside the United States, and yet gun crime in those two countries is extremely rare. Of course, both Finland and Switzerland have things that the United States lacks, such as comprehensive social safety nets and sensible gun legislation.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Finland and Switzerland have some of the highest rates of civilian gun ownership outside the United States, and yet gun crime in those two countries is extremely rare. Of course, both Finland and Switzerland have things that the United States lacks, such as comprehensive social safety nets and sensible gun legislation.

Well as an American, I don't know the percentage but a lot of us are not that smart when it comes to knowing about other part of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
Heck, the same goes for OUR part of the world, too.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
We have a society that creates sociopathic monsters like a factory line.

If you look at America's history, it has a very long record of war & violence. In other words, America is a country with a lot of blood on it's hands.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Erm, I guess you don't keep up with the world news do you? Wink
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Erm, I guess you don't keep up with the world news do you? :wink:

And prior to that, there was only one documented mass shooting in Switzerland in the modern age, all the way back in 2001. Besides, the United States still eclipses Switzerland in both total number of gun homicides and rate of gun homicides per 100,000 people.

Also, this Swiss spree shooter had previously been committed for psychiatric care back in 2005. Notice a common thread between this nutter and the other nutters behind last year's spree shootings in the United States? They're all mentally ill people who should have no business being near, much less actually handling, firearms. How this guy fell through the cracks is anyone's guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5