• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Movie Site Lists Potential Akira Actor Candidates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
Let me know when the movie bombs like the last airbender so I can proudly wear my "I told you so" face
Except The Last Airbender didn't bomb, smart guy. Whether you like it or not, the movie did pretty damn well at the box office.

Not really. The movie made $131 million at the domestic box office, which sounds nice . . . until you realize that studios, on average, only get about 55% of that back. It's actually worse that that, since The Last Airbender did poorly in its opening weeks (the period when the studio gets their biggest cut of the box office revenue), meaning they probably got even less than that back.

It also made $187 million in foreign revenues. The only problem is that the studio tends to get an even smaller cut of the foreign box office gross overall (the average was 40% in 2007, out of which you have to deduct their distribution expenses).

DVD sales weren't too hot, either - $29.2 million.

All that said, the movie still probably made money for its studio-distributor, if not necessarily at the box office. Considering it's a known franchise with merchandising possibilities, the studio-distributor likely got most of the marketing for the film covered by third-party promotional campaigns from sponsors trying to cash in on the licensing (including Nickolodeon and McDonald's).

On the other hand, notice how they haven't been rushing to make a sequel?

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

Anyway, as much as I love anime, I've never seen Akira. Looks like I know what's the next movie I'll be picking up. How's the blu-ray? Surprised

Blu-Ray.com says that the video quality is pretty good. The movie itself is . . . okay. It ends in a rather odd fashion.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:

Not really. The movie made $131 million at the domestic box office, which sounds nice . . . until you realize that studios, on average, only get about 55% of that back. It's actually worse that that, since The Last Airbender did poorly in its opening weeks (the period when the studio gets their biggest cut of the box office revenue), meaning they probably got even less than that back.

It also made $187 million in foreign revenues. The only problem is that the studio tends to get an even smaller cut of the foreign box office gross overall (the average was 40% in 2007, out of which you have to deduct their distribution expenses).

DVD sales weren't too hot, either - $29.2 million.

All that said, the movie still probably made money for its studio-distributor, if not necessarily at the box office. Considering it's a known franchise with merchandising possibilities, the studio-distributor likely got most of the marketing for the film covered by third-party promotional campaigns from sponsors trying to cash in on the licensing (including Nickolodeon and McDonald's).

On the other hand, notice how they haven't been rushing to make a sequel?
Oh. Well, ya learn somethin' new every day.

And I take it they're not planning to make a sequel because the movie failed like a muthafucka crticially. Laughing After the immense hate they got for the first one, I doubt they think many people would give a 2nd one a chance.

Guardsman Bass wrote:

Blu-Ray.com says that the video quality is pretty good. The movie itself is . . . okay. It ends in a rather odd fashion.
Hm, "okay," you say? I've heard so many people refer to it as some legendary awesomely incredible thing, while others call it massively overrated. Surprised
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol: I think the only reason they got away with The Lion King was that Tezuka apparently lost the rights to many of his anime properties when he had money problems. Would not happen with Akira, though, because Kodansha has a U.S. presence here. Also RE: Paprika/Inception, I can't help it when I'm relying on a shoddy link which looked legit.

And Tezuka was generous enough, and it was Disney, whom Tezuka admired and influenced his whole big eyes anime look style.
RE: Paprika/Inception, if it happened with Akira, wouldn't you do the same, trying to link it (in contrast to other fans here who don't want it linked)? Smile

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Oh please, Akira is old and passe now, and some fans even think it's overrated. There are no legions of fans, just us who remember when it was new.

I disagree. Did you see how many views that Akira-inspired Kanye video got alone?

That doesn't mean anything. Fans viewed that Akira-inspired Kanye video because it was Kanye. That video could be anything else, and it will still have so many views just because it's Kanye.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
(BTW, "desperate for ideas that they'd take something that has a huge following with legions of fans" is something that the Japanese film industry does all the time. Death Note, anyone? Gantz? Space Battleship Yamato?)

Yeah, they got adaptations there, but they're not so culturally bankrupt as to rely on them, regardless of marketability, like H'wood.

Film industries are film industries; fat cats are fat cats. They'll adapt anything that could make money. Y'know how much Japanese films are adapted from manga, anime, light novels, any current hot item out there.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
BTW, did you notice any fan backlash about it? No? See.

See what? That thing's had three different incarnations as an anime, so there's no attachment to a specific version like Akira.

And there's no backlash from fans of any of those incarnations because it wasn't bad.

v1cious wrote:
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Justin Timberlake
Oh, jesus. Laughing

Big Hed wrote:
Please cast Timberlake and Pattinson. Just the thought of how bad it would be is making me giddy.

I'm just curious: have any of you even seen a single movie Justin Timberlake was in, or are you just saying this because he's a pop star?

It's like Gackt or J-pop "tarento" or something. Laughing

Nagisa wrote:

And if so, why use the original title at all?

They may not even keep the original title. Especially if (most likely) Akira is renamed to a Western name.

Nagisa wrote:

Sony-Tristar's Godzilla I could understand (kind of), Godzilla's a big name that everyone--not just the core fanbase--will recognize. But Akira? Who, in this day and age, honestly would recognize that name outside of anime fans and animation enthusiasts? Very few. Hell, the number of people going to anime conventions that recognize it is rapidly dwindling on a yearly basis.

My point exactly. Akira is not as big as old fans think now.

Nagisa wrote:

They've already changed the location and the characters, and likely the plot as well, so why not just go all the way and change the title, too? I guarantee it won't affect ticket sales in any way with the way they're setting this thing up, and it could spare a whole lot of people a great deal of embarrassment all around. But, by now they've likely already paid for the rights and are now contractually bound to use the title,

Not necessarily contractually bound. They paid for the rights so they won't get sued for using it as a basis.

Big Hed wrote:
v1cious wrote:
I'm just curious: have any of you even seen a single movie Justin Timberlake was in, or are you just saying this because he's a pop star?

Well his voice work in Yogi Bear and Shrek didn't exactly stand out if you ask me, and I wasn't particularly fond of him in The Social Network (although that film as a whole didn't really appeal to me, so my opinion on that performance may not be worth much).

And bits and pieces like commercials and hosting SNL and Award shows. The guy is comfortable acting.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't like any of these choises. How is a 30 something actor give the appearance of a 15-17 year old. Also if Robert Pattinson is in this count me out. Curling would be more enjoyable to watch if he is in it.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
For those saying Americanized Japanese concepts don't work: There's this series of movies starring giant robots that turn into other things that's originally from Japan. They've made a ton of money both in the U.S. and around the world. It's called ... ah ... there's another movie coming out soon ... wait, don't tell me, it's ... [/sarcasm]

Also, way before most people posting at ANN, including myself, were born, Hollywood adapted Seven Samurai into one of the most beloved Westerns of all time, The Magnificent Seven. TMS was nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

This isn't saying a Westernized version of Akira would automatically succeed, but let's give it a chance to get off the ground before we shoot it out of the sky.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

Hm, "okay," you say? I've heard so many people refer to it as some legendary awesomely incredible thing, while others call it massively overrated. Surprised

It's a good movie, but I wouldn't call it legendary and awesome. The animation is incredibly fluid and the music's great, but the plot is basically a hollowed out mash of the manga. A lot of important characters were put on the side and only given cameos, including Akira himself. I assume most of the people who saw it as an introduction to anime are the ones who carry it in really high regard.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, your comments are good and you should feel good about yourself.

As for the movie, "The Magnificent Seven" was actually good and decently made. Aha! Therein lies the difference!

I don't particularly like any of the choices (mostly due to age and just sheer WTFing and the fact that, well, they're white in a Japanese movie).

Hollywood made a movie sometime in 2007 or so entitled, "The Uninvited" or something like that. It was based on the Korean horror movie, "A Tale of Two Sisters". Understandably, they changed the names (including the title of the movie itself), locations, and ethnicity of the actors because it wasn't even that relevant in the original movie at all. I never saw it myself because I've heard from friends who had seen it said that it did not do the original movie justice and that it was a waste of money.

But, in "Akira", the location and ethnicity is important and relevant to the plot.
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Calm down everyone, it's never going to get made anyways. No Hollywood mogul would be stupid enough to fund two big budget movies that just scream: "BOMB".
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun wrote:
Calm down everyone, it's never going to get made anyways. No Hollywood mogul would be stupid enough to fund two big budget movies that just scream: "BOMB".

Fans getting pissy on the internet does not 'scream bomb'. In fact, sadly, it's much usually the case that the adaptations fans are crazy about that bomb. C'est la vie.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Not too familiar with a lot of the names, or their roles, but aren't most of these guys a bit too old to play high school students and believably pull it off? Magneto vs Charles part II sounds a little goofy.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Oh. Well, ya learn somethin' new every day.

Glad to help. It's been a topic of interest for me for some time. If you're interested, The Hollywood Economist by Edward Epstein is a good place to start.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

And I take it they're not planning to make a sequel because the movie failed like a muthafucka crticially. Laughing After the immense hate they got for the first one, I doubt they think many people would give a 2nd one a chance.

If it were just that, they would likely be well into making a second movie by now. Critical appeal is usually not an important factor in the decision to green-light big-budget spectacle movies like The Last Airbender.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

I honestly think it's over-rated. The plot's not bad, and some of the characters are memorable, but the graphics look dated, and it ends on a really strange note that I won't spoil.

That's the movie, which I enjoyed much more than the manga.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
"They" are considering having this:

play this:

Yeah, ooookaaaaay.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Not too familiar with a lot of the names, or their roles, but aren't most of these guys a bit too old to play high school students and believably pull it off?

The new characters do not have to be in high school. High school did not really play a significant part in the old movie. But IIRC, the new movies are based on the manga anyways.

Just because something is based on it does not necessarily mean everything is copied as is. They may have just bought the rights so that they could adapt it without getting sued for the similarities.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Nothing will say "Akira" like a bunch of twenty and thirty something white men playing Japanese teenagers. I'm sure "Shotaro Kaneda" will roll so well off of Justin Timberlake's tongue, right?

It's bad enough a guy twice Spike's age is playing him in the Cowboy Bebop movie. What's next? Monster where all the characters are senior citizens? How about a version of Roujin Z where instead of an old man and a mechanical bed, it's a baby girl and a mechanical crib? Oooh, and the rest of the characters are all aborigine tribesman!

I'm looking forward to a live action LoGH film where all the characters are CGI dinosaurs inserted in live-action backdrops. It'll be just the same if the script is well-written, right?

Herp derp, Hollywood. At least change the names of the characters if they're going to be of the Caucasian persuasion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Having taken a look at Tetsuo's picture, I think Andrew Garfield would probably be the best choice. He's 27, but he can look a lot younger - I've seen pictures of him from the new Spider-Man movie where he looks all of 15. Pattinson might be able to play a teenager, but I think he would honestly look older than most of the Kaneda choices. McAvoy looks too old, too.

I still think Chris Pine could pull off the Kaneda role (like I said earlier, he's played a character with similar attributes before), but he doesn't look like a teenager - at best, he looks like he's in his early twenties.* Same goes for Garrett Hedlund, although Hedlund could probably pull off a younger character than Pine, and make-up could patch up a lot of the issues.

Joaquin Phoenix, of course, is way too old unless you fundamentally change the character, and the same goes for Michael Fassbender. Timberlake doesn't look like he appear as a character younger than "late twenties".

My overall choices out of the group are now Andrew Garfield for Americanized Tetsuo**, and Chris Pine for Americanized Kaneda.

* They could always just drop the "high school age kid" bit, and have both Tetsuo and Kaneda as early twenties-age kids.

** Speaking of which, I really hope they don't stick with the original names. That would be weird as hell.

penguintruth wrote:
It's bad enough a guy twice Spike's age is playing him in the Cowboy Bebop movie.

To be fair, Spike looks and acts older than 27 - I think he should realistically be in his mid-thirties. Reeves can play that - he doesn't look that old for 46.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6