• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Free! Swim Team TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
TheCrimsonClaw wrote:

If we're going to go on that view, then Lady Gaga must be the best artist in the entire music industry. She's really talented.

As much as I don't like Lady Gaga, her CD's sell like pancakes. If with this you're trying to prove how Free! is not going to sell because reviews mean nothing, I invite you to try again.

Quote:
Akira Toriyama is the most influential manga artist in existence

You'll have to try again with this one too. Hint: Osamu Tezuka
CremsonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Because something sells well, doesn't mean it's good.

Then again, Free! won't sell well, as I doubt you, a Westerner are going to buy it, along with all the other Westerners who are all "OMG! FREE! BEST SHOW EVER!" because you're the types who watch subbed anime online or download it via torrent, and Japanese viewers have little interest in the show, as the only reason it got made was due to the Westerners who made it viral.

As for your point about Tezuka, while Tezuka is regarded as the father of manga, he isn't as influential as Toriyama, as I wasn't referring to him as the father of manga, I merely stated that if it were not for Toriyama's works, you and most Westerners would have never known about anime, as Dragon Ball was the reason anime began importing to the West, due to it's immense popularity, it opened the market up to America, Europe and the United Kingdom.

If not for Toriyama's influence, you probably wouldn't watch anime.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
TheCrimsonClaw wrote:
Then again, Free! won't sell well, as I doubt you, a Westerner are going to buy it, along with all the other Westerners who are all "OMG! FREE! BEST SHOW EVER!" because you're the types who watch subbed anime online or download it via torrent, and Japanese viewers have little interest in the show, as the only reason it got made was due to the Westerners who made it viral.

And do you have facts to back up this statement, as you see a hell of a lot of ANN users buy anime and are westerners?

Also just because you do not like something doesn't mean it's bad.

Just to add that any series I watch and like it buy so me as a Westerner will buy this if the series as long as I continue to enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Just to add that any series I watch and like it buy so me as a Westerner will buy this if the series as long as I continue to enjoy.

Thats an amazing sentence right there.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Thats an amazing sentence right there.

Ha, trying to type on a rickety bus on an iPhone is never simple.

Let me give that another go.

"Just to add that any series I watch and enjoy, I buy. So me, as a westerner, will buy this series as long as I continue to enjoy."

Better?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
TheCrimsonClaw wrote:

The last sentence shows how little you know about this anime and how anime is made in general. Your argument is dead, boy.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
TheCrimsonClaw wrote:
as the only reason it got made was due to the Westerners who made it viral.

I'm tired of people saying this show was only made because of tumblr or "We did it guys, we got a commercial made!" This show was announced over a year ago, long before that commercial even aired and tumblr when crazy over it. tumblr going insane over it had nothing to do with production.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote
TheCrimsonClaw wrote:

As for your point about Tezuka, while Tezuka is regarded as the father of manga, he isn't as influential as Toriyama, as I wasn't referring to him as the father of manga, I merely stated that if it were not for Toriyama's works, you and most Westerners would have never known about anime, as Dragon Ball was the reason anime began importing to the West, due to it's immense popularity, it opened the market up to America, Europe and the United Kingdom.

If not for Toriyama's influence, you probably wouldn't watch anime.

Wow, there is literally not a single part of this post that is correct. I don't think I've ever seen so many fabrications in one statement on ANN before.

Dragon Ball was not the blockbuster anime that lead to the early 2000's boom. That my friend, was Pokemon. In fact, Dragon Ball was a bit of a flop during its original syndication run and only become popular a few years later during its Cartoon Network runs. Even then, it never the sold the number of units that Pokemon did during its height, though its staying power may have been a bit better.

And no, Akira Toriyama may be influential, but he is not the most influential mangaka ever. The fact that you would claim so clearly indicates that you know very little about anime and manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5