• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeMusicVideos.Org Served with Cease & Desist Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montusama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
i'm going to be honest i'm not reading i'm just saying last time i knew music video's were 'legal' because they aren't PERFECT copies of the song and well i'm lost on the rest as where they are coming from it's easly possible to rip the song from an amv but other than that *stabs music studio*
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
I hate stupid people like this, especially when AMV.org says who made the video in the first place. It's basically free advertising for the group as well. The creator's aren't making money off it and it's getting their music out to people who might otherwise never hear it.
So true. I never would have been acquainted with Queen if it wasn't for Evangelion Opus.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
wasn't there a discussion about this at a conferance a month or so back?

the copyright laws are outdated and need to be rewritten

They won't be.

The record company was well within their legal rights to request that the videos be removed. And any company that does so in the future will likewise be well within their legal rights to do so. No amount of whining or "That's unfair" will change it. It's something that has countless legal precedents and it's something that isn't going to change unless you can front the millions of dollars to challenge the RIAA in court.

The usage and distribution of intellectual property, especially from an entity that draws in income (and they do, through donations. How much or what that money goes to is irrelevant, as they are asking for donations to provide a service that entails the illegal distribution of intellectual property) from it's usage. They have, technically, been breaking copyright law this entire time, and frankly I've always wondered how long it would be before someone called them on it. You'll probably be seeing more of this in the future.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
some how condemning and doing away with a fan base around your content is evil to me and i'm not being light minded or hearted in saying so, i mean it.

they say in ancient philosophy, if you include, you are probably doing something right. If you are excluding you are proabbly doing something wrong.

embrace change or change will destroy you i say.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
wasn't there a discussion about this at a conferance a month or so back?

the copyright laws are outdated and need to be rewritten

Yup. Two in fact.

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7347
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7612

-t
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
poweranime wrote:
I knew the discussion was out and about already, but come on... this is the beginning of yet another cornerstone idea of anime fandom that'll be laid to rest... and I really enjoyed the AMV too... i wonder if this'll stop the use of copywritten songs used for AMV contests in the future...

If that were the case, then there wouldn't be an AMV contest at all. As it stands, any song you use in a music video is copyrighted...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Montusama wrote:
i'm going to be honest i'm not reading i'm just saying last time i knew music video's were 'legal' because they aren't PERFECT copies of the song and well i'm lost on the rest as where they are coming from it's easly possible to rip the song from an amv but other than that *stabs music studio*

Wow, it's been 10 years since I heard the "not perfect" arguement.

They don't have to be perfect copies to be copyright infringement.

I think MP3s have pretty much proven that.

-t
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
They don't have to be perfect copies to be copyright infringement.

I think MP3s have pretty much proven that.

Bingo. If nothing else, they are unauthorized derivative works.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
some how condemning and doing away with a fan base around your content is evil to me and i'm not being light minded or hearted in saying so, i mean it.

they say in ancient philosophy, if you include, you are probably doing something right. If you are excluding you are proabbly doing something wrong.

But it doesn't matter.

If people continue to want the product (and they will) they will eventually ne forced to conform to the avenues in which it is distributed by the creator/licenser/owner. Like it or not, the music industry is a business, and they operate as a business, one of the cornerstones of which is the protection of intellectual property and the elimination of threats to the bottom line.

Whether or not AMVs harm that product is something that's obviously open to debate (and I would personally say that no, they don't), but it's ultimately pointless to argue because the people that control the power see it as a potential threat, and are within their legal bounds to persue ways to eliminate that threat.

This is hardly anything new. It's basically a variation on singing a song in public or on TV without aquiring the rights.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Gosh dammit. Of course one of them would have to be a favorite band. (Evanescene.) That vid of Haunted to Jin Roh always gets to me.

Well, there's always file sharing programs to share them on.

Yeah, I know they're in their legal rights to do so. Doesn't mean that I don't think they aren't dicks for doing so. I'm rather suprised such a small though growing label like Wind Up was the one to do this.

Funny. I've actually bought a number of CDs and discovered artists because I liked the music I saw on AMVs. Heh. Ironically the first time I heard Metallica was through an AMV. I think while they have the right to do this, I think this is a major mistake. These fan works, which fans put hours into (with the good ones at least) are perfect free ads even if people are getting a copy of the song atached to the video.

_Xenos
wao

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
Hmm... if they weren't obliged to go after these people, then their main motive for getting the AMVs removed *could* lie in the fact that the music could be ripped off the video, and people could then get free copies of the music. In which case, perhaps the problem could be solved by having streaming music videos or something like that...

But I guess it's also because they potentially could have collected lots of royalties or something like that from the videos, and they didn't...

Is it also possible that the bands felt really awkward having their creations' value being changed by being stuck on anime videos? Perhaps they wanted to stop projecting that image... I dunno, I've always thought that if I were an artiste and I saw a music video with my song on it I'd feel rather weird. Then again, I don't think I'd get it taken off unless it was portraying the music in a bad way... There is the advertising aspect of the song, it's true that it can be a great ad, especially if the video's famous and well-done... but I suppose the bad outweighs the good here.

At least there's always conventions so it's not the absolute end of AMVs.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Well, I expected this to happen one with music videos, but damn...

I guess I'll stop listening to English music again and return to my Japanese music, Game OSTs, and other old stuff. If they don't want me to hear there music where I do, then I just won't buy any CD's whatsoever in the US.

Screw'em; supporting music you heard in AMV's is too damned expensive anyway. Like the damn artists and record companies are losing money with AMV's; I wish I had 2+ cars, a nice fancy house, a limo, and all the plastic surgery availible to me and who could forget their scant god-awful clothing that's custom made at high-end stores that's thrown away at the end of the day. Yup, these people are poor as a stray puppy and AMVs are sucking the life out of them.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
All this talk reminds me that when the guys behind Gainax created their famous Daicon animations, it was a AMV to the tune of Electric Light Orchestra's "Twilight". I can't recall the full details, but I recall that when the Gainax guys showed (or sent, or whatever) to ELO, ELO told them to stop distributing the animations.

Anyway, this opens the door to creations of Anime Classical Music Videos, or Anime Jazz Music Videos- music that has true soul and meaning, and whose fame has lasted years, decades, even centuries.

Widya Santoso
--
And he said that with a straight face.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the AMVs and the website came to the copyright holders attention when a fan contacted them and asked if the AMVs hosted on AnimeMusicVideos.org were created by the band.

The only redemption is suicide.
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
This makes sense, though it is too bad as amv.org is a fun place. The solution is, as others have said, to only upload the video as in that case the copyright is at least defensible. There really is no excuse for making complete songs available for download, even if you stick something extra on them.

And there is no such thing as a "perfect" recording. As soon as something gets recorded it's imperfect, and it's all downhill from there (including CDs).

Zeiram wrote:

So if the latest fad was for employers to say, "Screw this union contract, I'm employing whoever the hell I want because they'll work for 5 cents an hour," the employees would be evil if they went against the flow? After all, the employers are just being more inclusive! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8