• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawyer: Some One Piece Downloaders Settle Out of Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Like I said you can scour the internet and find all sorts of streams, DDLs, and screencaps that are worse than Funimation's streams. The point Tylerr made is 1080/720 torrent is noticeably better video quality than the Funi 360p stream.

I don't care about the whys, excuses, reasons, preferences, your blind weeaboo hate or other subjective tomfoolery - 720p is visually superior to 360p, that is all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Nobody is arguing whether or not 720p is better.

There are plenty of things in life that are better than other things, and those things are typically more expensive.

Brats who can't appreciate all that the industry is doing to facilitate their needs (without even a dime spent by the brats) are what tick me, and I'm sure others, off the most.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Like I said you can scour the internet and find all sorts of streams, DDLs, and screencaps that are worse than Funimation's streams. The point Tylerr made is 1080/720 torrent is noticeably better video quality than the Funi 360p stream.

I don't care about the whys, excuses, reasons, preferences, your blind weeaboo hate or other subjective tomfoolery - 720p is visually superior to 360p, that is all.

The quality is not the point that I was trying to make. The point is that regardless of how superior fansub quality is that it does not make it right for people to steal it when it is available through legal means.

Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.

Megiddo wrote:
Nobody is arguing whether or not 720p is better.
THANK YOU!

Megiddo wrote:
Brats who can't appreciate all that the industry is doing to facilitate their needs (without even a dime spent by the brats) are what tick me, and I'm sure others, off the most.

Exactly. People need to stop thinking that Anime is an entitlement. It is a luxury. And the people who make the shows, or distribute them in Funi's case, do need to get paid to eat, drink, and pay for their living expenses. Those leechers are not real fans if they are sucking the life out of the industries. I happen to like buying and owning physical copies of Anime shows. And I'm not the only one here who feels the same way.

Last edited by Rukiia on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

With Television, you have the option of changing the channel/fast forwarding. On many online episode viewers, your forced to watch a commercial and are unable to advance/rewind until the commercial is done. And seriously, it's for crap that I would never buy or even patronize said parent company.

Do you realize that most of the commercials shown are around 20 seconds? If that 20 seconds is that precious to you, then you probably shouldn't be wasting your time watching anime in the first place. Besides, with your logic, online viewers have the option to open another window and check their email or whatnot and not watch the commercials at all. Rocket science, people.

Seriously, people are grasping at straws for reasons not to watch legal streams. These commercials help support the show, don't act like they're some horrible abomination.

I much prefer watching anime in one go without a commercial interruption ever 3 or 5 minutes. And I'm not sure about you but I usually do important stuff (such as check e-mail) as soon as I log online rather than do it later. Again, I think most of us would like to watch anime with limited to no commercial interruptions.

Yah, and I'd like to win the lottery.

Seriously, crunchyroll lets you subscribe and remove commercials entirely, Funimation may be doing the same in the future, and Hulu usually has one commercial that plays at the start of a show and 3 during the show. It's not that big of a deal.

I'd say that Funimation should have had a no-ad subscription choice sooner, but better late than never.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The quality is not the point that I was trying to make.

I was going to quote you about the quality your dismissed as not noticing but someone else did and I thought the quality point you made was snuffed out then.

Tylerr wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
I have no idea on what they are talking about in regards to quality. Looks pretty good to me and I have a 27" flatscreen, LCD, monitor.

Are you blind?

Stupid question, you have to be blind to not notice the extreme difference in quality between say a yibis fansub release and funi's stream especially on any moderately sized tv, here let me enlighten you.

{INSERT 360p pic} compare {INSERT 720 pic}

And now here we are with two people saying nobody has been arguing about quality in this thread.
Who do I believe?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I was going to quote you about the quality your dismissed as not noticing but someone else did and I thought the quality point you made was snuffed out then.

Perhaps it is because I am not a quality snob and just don't care much because what Funimation has to offer is legally free? Rolling Eyes

ArsenicSteel wrote:
And now here we are with two people saying nobody has been arguing about quality in this thread.
Who do I believe?

Do you not realize that my statement was a matter of opinion and not an argument?

Here, I'll bold it for you:
Rukiia wrote:
I have no idea on what they are talking about in regards to quality. Looks pretty good to me and I have a 27" flatscreen, LCD, monitor.

I said that "to me" it looks good. I didn't say super b or excellent. I said "pretty good". How is having an opinion about something a declaration of an argument?

Again, regardless of the quality it does not give someone a legit reason to steal/watch shows illegally. Period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Perhaps it is because I am not a quality snob and just don't care much because what Funimation has to offer is legally free? Rolling Eyes

This is pretty much what this thread is boiling down too. Besides, IIRC, Funimation said at there panel last weekend that there mainly concerned with "physical media distribution" or something like that.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you not realize that my statement was a matter of opinion and not an argument?

I thought that too which was why I didn't comment on it initially. Then you dredged up an absurd photoshoped meme as if it factually happened and that is where my first comment to you started.

Quote:

Not a quality snob? So does that mean you are unwilling or do not have the ability to just admit to the only claim I have made, 1080/720p > 360p?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Not a quality snob? So does that mean you are unwilling or do not have the ability to just admit to the only claim I have made, 1080/720p > 360p?

Considering I never said 360 was better but, fine, I will say it just for you even though I personally don't see what difference it will make (nor do I really give a s*** anymore). But I'll let the baby have its bottle if it will stop crying.

720p is better then 360p.

Happy?

However, as I have constantly repeated over and over again, better quality videos offered online does not justify people's means to steal. Being a quality snob does not give you the privilege to steal Anime.

And, again, Funimation offers free legal streams. As in, you don't pay a f***ing penny for it.

Now if you will admit that stealing Anime because of quality isn't right then we can call it even.

But God help me. Fans these days are so spoiled rotten that they don't know how good they have it compared to fans who grew up with Anime that was only available on TV or VHS tapes. Not to mention how it is now so much easier to watch/obtain the products.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Free only = Artists don't get paid = No more anime to stream OR to purchase and own legit copies = What will you stream and cop for free next time? Dirt?
Goodness, please simply support what you like and view unless you want it to end all together. Sometimes "monkey see, monkey do" does not rationally apply to any situation. This is one of them.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Considering I never said 360 was better but, fine, I will say it just for you even though I personally don't see what difference it will make (nor do I really give a s*** anymore). But I'll let the baby have its bottle if it will stop crying.

Even when conceding you can't ditch the vitriol. Are you trying to start a pissing contest?

Quote:

Now if you will admit that stealing Anime isn't right then we can call it even.

I don't want to get into the right or wrong of this. Morality is a hostile subject that depends on whose thou shalt is being followed.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I don't want to get into the right or wrong of this. Morality is a hostile subject that depends on whose thou shalt is being followed.

I'm not sure what you meant by "whose thou shalt is being followed", but yeah, we should steal anime. I'm sure they'll keep making more once their revenue goes into the red.

I don't know how anyone can morally think stealing is good, but oh well.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:

Not that I really care how you judge my actions but, I don't know how anyone can sanely think downloading a digital copy is stealing, but oh well.

If downloading a [illegal] digital copy is stealing, then that would mean I'm stealing from thieves, wouldn't it? Since I don't recall asking for anyone's permission, including the fansubs'.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
No they will depend entirely on the Japanese to buy anime, then bitch endlessly about the shrinking number of anime, anime budget shrinking, and how anime companies aren't experimenting anymore.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Scormio wrote:

Not that I really care how you judge my actions but, I don't know how anyone can sanely think downloading a digital copy is stealing, but oh well.

If downloading a [illegal] digital copy is stealing, then that would mean I'm stealing from thieves, wouldn't it? Since I don't recall asking for anyone's permission, including the fansubs'.

So if I steal someones car, and then someone steals that car from me, does that mean they're not a criminal? Lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7