• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Will hulu truly look better than DVD? Yes, the resolution will be higher but without bit rate resolution is nothing. Macroblocking, banding, etc...for a while the Funimation streams were, despite higher resolution, noticeably worse than the DVD.
Encoding compression currently used in online streaming is more effective, and unlike DVDs getting more effective as time goes by. So a comparison solely based on network throughput vs dvd-size is inadequate as it doesn't necessarily correlate to bitrate at playback time.

As for Funi's streams, I agree, based on the rips of their shows I'm following, they often have issues. But I don't think that has much to do with whatever is available as tools to encode streams. Not when +600MB worth of bandwidth fails to deliver a decent image...

Edit; clarification
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
So, it sounds like the approach to the new dub will be analogous to how ADV re-adapted the original Macross TV series. Interesting...

Unfortunately ADV went six feet under before it could complete dubbing the entire macross tv series. hopefully this wont happen to viz as well or worse, the releases wont sell well to warrant new eps to be released as with Saint Seiya.

Eh? The entire Macross series that was licensed by ADV was dubbed and released. If you mean ADV didn't dub all of Macross that exists, then that's because they didn't have the rights to do that to begin with. Macross and its licensing status for the entire franchise is one of those special hells that would take too long to get into here but it boils down to only the original TV series was ever licensed by ADV to begin with.

yea i know all about the BS that harmony gold had put the otaku community tthrough and such and i definitely know that the other part of the macross series like mospeada and southern crossed series that wasnt licensed as well as macross 7 & frontier, but i am pretty sure not all of macross was released. at least in english dub. from what i checked in the ANN arch Animego released all of them but in sub only format. dont know if ADV released all 36 eps.

MeggieMay wrote:

As for VIZ not finishing up these new Sailor Moon dubs, I won't say it couldn't happen. Bad things have come down with shows and dubs in the past and VIZ has been involved, as well as other companies, so I won't say "never" or "won't." But at this points odds are looking good that VIZ will finish this up barring something major happening to stop them. Sailor Moon is a much more mainstream show than many of the older anime shows and a new English dub is going to be something other DVD/BD markets, Japan included, are going to want to license for their own use. It's in everyone involved interest to try and get a new dub for Sailor Moon produced in full, so I think everyone involved will attempt to make it happen.

Well its as i said. if it dont sell well, they could easily drop the series like what they have done to other titles they have licensed in the past and suddenly dropped cause it didn't to well in sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's no way the BDs will be of good HD quality if they're not working with a new film transfer, so just buy the new DVDs to save yourself from disappointment.

It'll still be a disappointment if remastered Ranma DVD sets (brought up in the article) are any indication - they are pillarboxed even on DVDs! That's unacceptable.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
@AtoMan
Perhaps you don't realize this, but most people consider it a positive that Ranma 1/2 is offered in the original aspect ratio. To get rid of the "pillars" that bother you they would have to crop the original image. That is truly unacceptable.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@AtoMan
Perhaps you don't realize this, but most people consider it a positive that Ranma 1/2 is offered in the original aspect ratio. To get rid of the "pillars" that bother you they would have to crop the original image. That is truly unacceptable.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. It is, indeed, the proper way to present 4:3 content on BluRay discs... but DVDs were made with 4:3 ratio in mind and making an ancual DVD release pillarboxed causes:
1) significant resolution drop, making it lose the details
2) a windowboxing effect on 4:3 displays.

Someone tell them to not do that anymore. Like, right now.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She has no interest in careers or education, instead her dream is one of domestic servitude, marrying another aristrocrat to be his baby machine.

Is there something wrong with being a housewife? Why does Usagi need to be a career-woman like Rei, or a doctor like Ami? Why doesn't Usagi get to make that choice for herself? Not to mention, your analysis omits the fact that Usagi grows up to be the greatest political power on the planet and (if manga canon is accepted) increases the health and wealth of Earth's people exponentially. Laughing
Sevenfeet

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Phibby wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
One of the things about the previous dub is that there were so many cast changes throughout that there's no one Sailor Moon, there's almost no "one" of anybody.

There's actually quite a few "ones", I can think of off the top of my head (Jupiter, Luna, Rei, Mina, Artemis) And there is definitely a "one Sailor Moon".

Of the characters you list, only Jupiter, Luna, and Artemis had one consistent English VA.

Mars was voiced by Katie Griffin for dub episodes 7-65, 83+, and the movies, and by Emilie Barlow for dub eps 66-82. DiC dubbed those last 17 episodes of R two years after the first 65 dub eps, probably the reason for the recast. Katie Griffin came back on for Cloverway's dub of S and SuperS.

Venus was voiced by Stephanie Morgenstern for dub episodes 29-82 and the movies, and by Emilie Barlow (Mars' second VA) for dub eps 83+.

And no, Moon herself had three different English VAs: Tracey Moore for dub eps 1-11, 15, and 21; Terri Hawkes for eps 12-14, 16-20, 22-82, and the movies; and Linda Ballantyne for eps 83+.

In fact, of the main cast, the ones you originally listed (Jupiter, Luna, and Artemis) are the only characters I can think of that had one consistent English VA. Mercury, Pluto, and Chibimoon had two each, and Tuxedo Mask had three. Of the senshi, only Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn had one VA, understandable considering they only appeared in the seasons that were dubbed by Cloverway.

The casting of the supporting characters (Naru/Molly, Umino/Melvin, the Tsukino family, etc.) and the villains was much more consistent. But for the main cast, Charlene is exactly right re: cast changes.

Source for the English VA names and episode numbers: WikiMoon. It's a great resource for random SM information, if you're interested. (I used to do a lot of editing there myself back when it first started up.)

Somebody earlier commented that they would rather not have the original DIC cast back. I take the opposite approach in that the original voice actors' work is a large part of why the DIC production resonated with the original viewers. Sailor Moon was on the air in the US before Cartoon Network began showing it. It was in syndication in many markets. It was this presentation that I first saw 15 years ago to the month when I had inadvertently left my TV on overnight in my apartment bedroom only to wake up at 6 AM with this bizarre show in front of me. I was too tired to change the channel, so I began watching it and before I knew it, I'd finished the episode. The next morning, the exact same thing happened...I woke up to the show by accident and by day three I was hooked. Like many of us, it was my first anime that wasn't named Voltron or Speed Racer and proved to be my "gateway drug" into other series like Ranma and Tenchi Muyo back then.

As time went on, I grew to appreciate the performances. This was not a cheap fan dub effort since the idea was to pitch this to independent TV stations looking for kids programming. Katie Griffin's Mars and Susan Roman's Jupiter reminded me a lot of older, more mature versions of Peanuts characters Lucy and Peppermint Patty, respectively. I've always loved Stephanie Morganstern's Venus although it's hard for me to explain why. Sailor V was the original prototype character of the manga which led to this series, and the Venus characterization is less ditzy and all over the place than Sailor Moon, sort of the kind of performance you get from someone who had been being a Sailor Senshi longer than anyone else. Karen Bernstein pretty much nailed Mercury from the beginning.

As for Sailor Moon herself, the biggest compliment I can give Terri Hawkes is that she began with the problem of continuing after Tracy Moore's original characterization and eventually made it her own as the episodes progressed. She's my favorite Sailor Moon actress because of that. All of the Tuxedo Mask actors are interchangeable to me though some were better at it than others. I never liked either of the "Rini" performances...my opinion was that they should have found an actual child actor. Finally, I think the one big casting mistake was Jill Frappier's Luna. I think Frappier is a great performer, but I wouldn't have chosen a "Angela Lansbury" type voice for Luna. It makes you think that she's very old, and yes I know that she was supposed to come off as the mature voice of reason in the series...very matronly. But the voice characterization comes off as someone around 60 years old, versus say Julie Andrews' Mary Poppins character (she was 28 during filming).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing some of all of major characters voiced by their original Vas (assuming age doesn't make that impractical). It's a level of comfort since those English language voices are what most of us have known for 15 years. I have no problem correcting the editorial decisions of the past (name changes, sex changes, editing for mature content, etc). But new actors or new actors who come completely with new characterizations across the board may take some getting used to. I'm sure that decision made for some spirited debate around Viz. We'll see what they decided soon enough.

Last edited by Sevenfeet on Sun May 18, 2014 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Not to mention, your analysis omits the fact that Usagi grows up to be the greatest political power on the planet and (if manga canon is accepted) increases the health and wealth of Earth's people exponentially. Laughing

I think her career aspirations at 14 are more important than what she actually grows up to become, Because feminism.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Charlene wrote:
They know their show, they know what they want, they have the vision. That's all it is. It isn't just a Sailor Moon thing, any time an anime company licenses a title, it is not really their title, it belongs to the IP owner, it belongs to the author.
Not to forget the "committee" as well. Laughing

Josh wrote:
(laugh) There's absolutely nothing wrong with a comparison to the old dub or to what DIC put out, especially because that's what some people can recall loving about the title and that's just fine. We're not trying to just do things different from them, what we're trying to do is make something that pays honor and respect to the original version of this, and that means we're offering everything to fans this time. It's not going to be censored, we're not going to hold back any episodes or seasons, you're getting everything.

Charlene wrote:
That's the thing, the original dub cut and spliced episodes together, shortening them, changing genders, changing relationships, changing a lot of stuff. There were complete episodes never shown before. So this will be the first time all 200 will be fully intact.
I've always said my money waits for something like this to happen and it still does. The quicker you can get it to the UK the quicker you'll get it too. Wink

One thing that doesn't seem to have been touch upon or reported here, is how this is going to affect the release of the "new" production that Toei Douga are in production with right now. Isn't this release of the "old" version going to clash with the "new", especially if the "new" is to be a remake of the manga story? Is Viz releasing this at the same time as the "new" is being similcasted? Also there isn't any info on re-introduction of merchandice that went with the old DIC releases. Merch, like dolls, wands, tiaras, broaches, cosplay kit, etc. Has a deal been concidered with a US toy manufacturer about this? After all that's where the real money is at. Wink
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Not to mention, your analysis omits the fact that Usagi grows up to be the greatest political power on the planet and (if manga canon is accepted) increases the health and wealth of Earth's people exponentially. Laughing

I think her career aspirations at 14 are more important than what she actually grows up to become, Because feminism.

And Mamoru's, like, seventeen when he meets Usagi. A fourteen-year-old dating a seventeen-year-old is legal in Japan. And yeah; like you said. I think growing up to be queen of the Earth is a sign she eventually gets a bit more ambitious. Laughing
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
A fourteen-year-old dating a seventeen-year-old is legal in Japan.

Why would it be illegal anywhere in the civilized world? Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
It'll still be a disappointment if remastered Ranma DVD sets (brought up in the article) are any indication - they are pillarboxed even on DVDs! That's unacceptable.

Why shouldn't they be pillarboxed? They're 1.33:1 productions, and so you'd naturally have pillars when watching on a 1.77:1 TV. To crop the image to fit on your TV would mean losing a whole bunch of the top and bottom.

To reiterate to the thousands who don't yet grasp the concept: high definition and widescreen are not synonymous.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You still don't get it.

Pillarboxing in DVD video is not needed, since DVDs' aspect ratio can be changed. Ranma, just like Sailor Moon, was 4:3 fullscreen and should be encoded on DVDs as such. It's not, so it wastes bitrate on black bars and results in lower video resolution.

Please, educate yourself a bit because you seem to have no idea what are you talking about.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you mean hardcoded pillarboxing. Yeah for DVDs I guess that's a kind of silly, but that's standard for BDs. Although, I doubt how much space is wasted by flat black fields over the duration of a DL DVD. Maybe a few megabytes, tops? What's worse is when DVDs aren't fully filling their available space, which I commonly see in commercial Hollywood releases. DVD sizes of only 7.55 GB? Come on man, that's a much bigger waste. Otherwise, I think hardcoded pillarboxing would only be a major issue if you're watching on a 16:10 screen.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The megabytes lost aren't that big of an issue, but with these bars ypu effectively limit the picture size from 720x480 to 540x480... for a HD remaster. How dumb is that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10