• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Ro-Kyu-Bu, Loups-Garous, ef

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope they release both ef's on blu-ray. Judging by the quality of the animation I bet that would look amazing.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Saiyuki Gaiden. The Burial OVAs and Gaiden manga haven't been picked up, so this was a pleasant surprise.

How's the Western Saiyuki fandom doing these days? Any chance someone might relicense the series, now that TokyoPop is no more? The Gaiden manga might be reasonably attractive, as the story is self-contained. There's even a choice of the original 4-volume release or the recent 2-volume version. It's a dream I have...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Alright, more Golgo 13!

Sadly, I see a lot of moe shows on this announcement, and I'm no friend of moe, to say the least. I understand that moe titles sell very well--I sadly bought Clannad & Angel Beats!--and that Sentai desperately needs all the money it can get. I doubt I'll get the new bluray when it debuts.

Thankfully none of that matters as the simultaneous announcement of more Golgo 13 more than negates the moe shows. Golgo 13 has to be one of the least moe shows in recent history, I'd even dub it the "anti-moe". Very Happy Very Happy

So I have more Golgo 13, this Night Raid 1931 show, and 2 possibly-decent J-scifi movies to look forward to from Sentai. More than I expected. More than Funimation has given me, to be honest.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
EF yeah, baby! Go Sentai!

Key wrote:
Concerning other titles, I am very surprised that Loups-Garous got picked up, as I had thought that this one would never see the light of day. It is a very different kind of sci fi movie, one which focuses on the potential dark side of social isolation in a future culture and is undoubtedly intended as a commentary on social phenomena currently being seen in Japan. (Its name is even more a metaphor than a literal reference to werewolves.) I very much look forward to being able to give it a proper review.

Having now had time to rejoice, I think Loups-Garous also holds interest for me. If I had been watching more anime in 2010 I probably would've seen it by now, so I'll be sure to pick up Sentai's release.

Last edited by Big Hed on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:

I just hope when Sentai releases it they will include all of the OP/ED versions creditless in the extras and not just the first versions of the OP/ED.

Sentai has been pretty good about this so far. They did this with Shigofumi, and even included clean versions of every different ED. As long as they can get them all from the licensor, it should be fine.

David Williams also said the titles they went back and dubbed were special cases. They did so with those not only because of the sales, but other companies licensed them and contributed to the production. So sadly, it's not likely for it to happen too often.

I would love to see ef dubbed and on bluray, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been waiting for it so long that I will gladly take a sub-only DVD at this point just so I can finally own it.

Well hey at least they are trying right? I hope they can dub more soon and hopefully one day they will have enough money to do it more often.

I will always hold out hope that they will eventually dub a big chunk of their library. Very Happy
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
No words can describe how angry I am at Sentai of all people picking up ef. I was really hoping Media Blasters for this one. Sentai is literally the last group given how poor their releases are overall. Aniplex USA would have been my top choice, but this doesn't seem like their type of show.

I'll only end up buying it if it's a blu-ray (just to keep my ef collection complete) and keep it shrink wrapped considering how they'll likely butcher the subs given all the metaphor and symbolism in the show.

Since when has Sentai "butchered" subs? They have been known to have some problems with typos in the past, but nothing that I would call anything close to "butchering." (And I'm the person who's probably been on their case the most about the typos.) In fact, Sentai has been more diligent that others about keeping subtitles accurate, and unlike other companies I could name they aren't shy about putting explanatory notes in their subtitles.

I recall there being some brouhaha when Clannad initially came out over butchered subs, but I can't recall if that was for spelling errors, which while annoying I can deal with, or if it was translation errors, which are pretty much unforgivable. Either way, I can't remember what the specifics on it were, but I haven't had any problems with Sentai, although they're making me consider double dipping to get that Clannad blu-ray. Is that just for the first series, or does that include AS too? I'm still on the fence since even though I adore Clannad and want to see it on blu-ray, I'm just not a big fan of double dipping.
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I really, really hope they're going to do a trade-in program for the Clannad blu-ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
That would be pretty stupid if they did. That's no way to make money.
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
and yet still no announcement of Gosick being licensed by any of the panels, I have died a little on the inside.

think I will go back and marathon the whole show this week. and laugh and cry my way through it, again,

such a great show

I was kind of surprised that neither Gosick nor Letter Bee were announced, since they seemed pretty popular. Personally, I was hoping for Natsume Yujincho season 1 on DVD. No such luck.

But the bright side is that this is only the first big con. We still have Otakon and New York Anime Festival yet to happen.

The bigger surprise is the lack of announcement for an Oreimo release. Since Aniplex USA got the simulcast and streaming rights, I wonder if that also means they got the the distribution rights. It's likely, but I wonder when they'll be making any sort of announcement. Oreimo is probably the one show that could rival Madoka in terms of sales.

aquaofthewater wrote:
I really, really hope they're going to do a trade-in program for the Clannad blu-ray.

VERY, VERY unlikely. But if the do... will they take my sub-only discs? Very Happy
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
The bigger surprise is the lack of announcement for an Oreimo release. Since Aniplex USA got the simulcast and streaming rights, I wonder if that also means they got the the distribution rights. It's likely, but I wonder when they'll be making any sort of announcement. Oreimo is probably the one show that could rival Madoka in terms of sales.

Though this really doesn't belong in this thread, it actually was brought up as a question at the Aniplex panel.

15:04:33 <bay> Q: Ore no Imouto was in preview... plans to bring that over?
15:04:40 <bay> A; Not at this time.. if we do, we'll update our website with the info
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Nice, I'm looking forward to Loups-Garous, and more Saiyuki (getting the voice cast back is pretty sweet too) and Golgo.

Can't wait for my Night Raid blu-ray when it ships.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I was kind of surprised that neither Gosick nor Letter Bee were announced, since they seemed pretty popular. Personally, I was hoping for Natsume Yujincho season 1 on DVD. No such luck.

But the bright side is that this is only the first big con. We still have Otakon and New York Anime Festival yet to happen.

I really, really want Natsume Yuujin Chou on DVD, all 3 seasons, and I hope someone licenses that Hotarubi no Mori E (I think that's what it's called) film that is also based on a manga by Yuki Midorikawa and has the same director (Takahiro Omori) and animation studio (Brains Base) as NYC. Gosick has been licensed in australia by Madman, I don't know whether they're planning to release DVDs or if that's just streaming rights, but I think it calls for some cautious optimism (if you're a Gosick fan or interested in becoming one).

I am so glad that both Ef's have finally been licensed, I've been meaning to watch that for ages (only seen the first episode of the first one) and now I'll get to have them on DVD! W00t! I am also somewhat interested in Loups Garous. That basketball loli show does not appeal, but I'm sure somebody wants to watch it.

I wish someone would license Natsu no Arashi for DVD release, that show looks awesome (is optimistic after license of other wanted Shaft show).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
David Williams also said the titles they went back and dubbed were special cases. They did so with those not only because of the sales, but other companies licensed them and contributed to the production. So sadly, it's not likely for it to happen too often.

That may be the case for when they were still in rebuilding mode, but there are the cases like Canaan and Night Raid where they're coming out dubbed immediately with, I assume, their own money, and they seem a lot more stable now than then. The ef series is just like the Kyoto Trio, just done by Shaft (and are better than Air and Clannad, and maybe Kanon too), and all of the Kyoto Trio is dubbed. The other Shaft shows, Hidamari Sketch and Maria Holic, seem to be doing well since they're releasing more, so they could (AND I HOPE!) just jump the gun here and go for dubbed BDs. It'd just be a shame because
puppy1843e wrote:
I hope they release both ef's on blu-ray. Judging by the quality of the animation I bet that would look amazing.

they really do.

Plus, David said they offered to dub Dirty Pair (dammit TRSI), so they're clearly open to doing more dubs, and for niche shows at that. And HSotD seems to be doing extremely well for them, so hopefully that can help a borderline show like ef. Hopefully. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

That may be the case for when they were still in rebuilding mode, but there are the cases like Canaan and Night Raid where they're coming out dubbed immediately with, I assume, their own money, and they seem a lot more stable now than then. The ef series is just like the Kyoto Trio, just done by Shaft (and are better than Air and Clannad, and maybe Kanon too), and all of the Kyoto Trio is dubbed. The other Shaft shows, Hidamari Sketch and Maria Holic, seem to be doing well since they're releasing more, so they could (AND I HOPE!) just jump the gun here and go for dubbed BDs. It'd just be a shame because
puppy1843e wrote:

they really do.

Plus, David said they offered to dub Dirty Pair (dammit TRSI), so they're clearly open to doing more dubs, and for niche shows at that. And HSotD seems to be doing extremely well for them, so hopefully that can help a borderline show like ef. Hopefully. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

I recall there being some brouhaha when Clannad initially came out over butchered subs, but I can't recall if that was for spelling errors, which while annoying I can deal with, or if it was translation errors, which are pretty much unforgivable. Either way, I can't remember what the specifics on it were, but I haven't had any problems with Sentai, although they're making me consider double dipping to get that Clannad blu-ray. Is that just for the first series, or does that include AS too? I'm still on the fence since even though I adore Clannad and want to see it on blu-ray, I'm just not a big fan of double dipping.

It was mostly over spelling errors. However, when they dubbed them and released complete collections they corrected most of the errors and cleaned everything up. The only Sentai series that there have been issues with since their first batch of releases have been ones that the subs were already created and included in the production materials, such as Koihime Muso.

David Williams did confirm during the panel that both seasons of Clannad are coming to bluray in complete collections. The first season is coming out first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7