• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Court Rejects Agency's Damage Claim Against Former Idol for Dating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
BGMaxie wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Dating doesn't automatically mean a girl is still not "pure" and just what does that mean anyway? I certainly hope this girl's parents were fighting in her corner with her. No contract should suspend one's human rights. This will unlock the shackles from the necks and feet of a lot of these young girls as it should.

Basically it means the nerdy and creepy crowd can dream about having "her" for "themselves", which obviously cannot happen if she "belongs" to a boyfriend. It is incredibly creepy how sexually oriented this whole thing is. I may be exagerating but the fact that otaku look up at an "illusion" in the opposite gender, ergo the idols, that they think they "own" but never remotely do so, can end up on many on those individuals having awkward or otherwise poor interaction with the opposite gender, that ultimetaly traduce into Japan's poor birth rates. This whole thing needs to change not only for the sake of idols but also for the sake of their society as a whole.
Actually that was a rhetorical question, but you are absolutely correct. I keep seeing others saying " her career is over" when in fact for many of these girls what want to be "idols" their "careers" will end when they stop being teenagers, or stop looking like a teenager even though they still are. Every girl that takes that route to a career in show biz does so with that dream of fame and stardom and possibly fortune, but unless they have an exceptional singing voice, or get selected for live action rolls, or even voice acting, though that too is just a rung up the ladder to fame, they'll run up against the glass ceiling of not having that "idol" look and feel (no pun intended) and therefore can not advance. If anything this girl can do is use this experience to setup a training programme that sits the fresh young new potentials down and explains the pitfalls of what getting into this "meat market" called Idolatry they can fall into so easily and are out there and how to avoid them from the start. Forewarned is forearmed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
This one case is nice for the idol in question, but it is not a sign of change or hope. People are forgetting our own court system. Just because one judge showed a little mercy or pity, it is not a sign of change. Every judge is a human being, with their own individual ideas and bias. Signs of change come from the higher courts.

With reference to the idol industry, this has been explained many times already. The idol industry only exists because of the rabid fans and their draconian ideals. You don't meet their ideals you have no fan base. No fan base means you are not making any money.

I laugh at all the comments of us westerners acting like these girls all have monster parents with barbed whips forcing their children into this industry. While blissfully ignoring the fact that if such an industry existed in the United States you would have tons of girls selling their souls for a chance to be picked up. As for the purity and chaste clauses, well, it is called paying your dues.

Coming from a country that supposedly values freedom, I understand why many of the commenters don't like the industry, but it is also against our values to deny others the freedom of choice. Just because we don't like their career choice, doesn't give us the right to say they shouldn't have the opportunity.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
This one case is nice for the idol in question, but it is not a sign of change or hope. People are forgetting our own court system. Just because one judge showed a little mercy or pity, it is not a sign of change. Every judge is a human being, with their own individual ideas and bias. Signs of change come from the higher courts.

With reference to the idol industry, this has been explained many times already. The idol industry only exists because of the rabid fans and their draconian ideals. You don't meet their ideals you have no fan base. No fan base means you are not making any money.

I laugh at all the comments of us westerners acting like these girls all have monster parents with barbed whips forcing their children into this industry. While blissfully ignoring the fact that if such an industry existed in the United States you would have tons of girls selling their souls for a chance to be picked up. As for the purity and chaste clauses, well, it is called paying your dues.

Coming from a country that supposedly values freedom, I understand why many of the commenters don't like the industry, but it is also against our values to deny others the freedom of choice. Just because we don't like their career choice, doesn't give us the right to say they shouldn't have the opportunity.

The parents often pressure them to be idols, for adults and older teenagers it's a choice but the young ones are often forced into it.

An idol industry would be restricted in the US to 18, so we wouldn't have issues like this and most likely no purity contracts either.

As for "paying your dues", there are better and more reasonable ways of doing that for idols. Also, it isn't that we don't like their career choice we want it to change for the better.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, what's the point of looking cute and singing for a large crowd if you're legally forbidden from finding love? It's pointless. I hope she doesn't get into trouble for following her heart.

She can't be a waifu if she's not pure. Pureness requires chasteness.
It's all about selling a perversion to a bunch of adult men/women perverts.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, what's the point of looking cute and singing for a large crowd if you're legally forbidden from finding love? It's pointless. I hope she doesn't get into trouble for following her heart.

She can't be a waifu if she's not pure. Pureness requires chasteness.
It's all about selling a perversion to a bunch of adult men/women perverts.

Not true, a waifu/husbando could have had sex or been in a relationship and still be such.

Dating IS pure, the managers should use common sense and not listen to deranged fans who don't have much common sense.

Which is sad, a lot of idols are talented and have great personalities, to be treated as only a sex symbol and nothing else is missing the point.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Not true, a waifu/husbando could have had sex or been in a relationship and still be such.

Dating IS pure, the managers should use common sense and not listen to deranged fans who don't have much common sense.

Which is sad, a lot of idols are talented and have great personalities, to be treated as only a sex symbol and nothing else is missing the point.

Male and female japanese idol fans are sold the idea that idols are pure. Incontaminated by dirty thinking. Like having dates, having sex, marrying etc... Basically anything that destroys that ideal connection between the fan and his/her "object" of desire is verboten. Ironically this desire is never materialised in real life so you'd think this whole charade would just go away and let artists be artists and let fans value artists on their artistic merits and not on some bullshit idea of purity. The whole idol scene is not about art, it's about selling the "pure sex" ideal.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
to be treated as only a sex symbol and nothing else is missing the point.
Ah but in Japan it is the point. because youth isn't just envied, it's worshiped like a deity, and what is the most fantasied daydream for a male, or female? It is to be the first to break the cherry of a virgin especially one who is seen as a goddess, or god. It's always one of the top five tags, if not the top, in most hentai manga or doujin.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ah but in Japan it is the point. because youth isn't just envied, it's worshiped like a deity, and what is the most fantasied daydream for a male, or female? It is to be the first to break the cherry of a virgin especially one who is seen as a goddess, or god. It's always one of the top five tags, if not the top, in most hentai manga or doujin.

I've was under the impression that it was mostly a male power fantasy. The guys who are dreaming about this creepy, de-humanizing stuff want someone who they can control, who will obey *them*. The sex part is merely a vehicle -- a way of *showing* that the cute girl is *his*. Much like rape, it's not the sex per se, but the power that is important.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I've was under the impression that it was mostly a male power fantasy. The guys who are dreaming about this creepy, de-humanizing stuff want someone who they can control, who will obey *them*. The sex part is merely a vehicle -- a way of *showing* that the cute girl is *his*. Much like rape, it's not the sex per se, but the power that is important.

Nope, the sad truth is that youth is worshiped like a God or Goddess and in the case of the music industry in the most unhealthiest ways possible in Japan and it goes for both genders.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't bank too much on this court resolution. It is like finding a five-leaf clover; it's nice that you found one, but it will be a long time before you'll probably find another one.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I wonder if we're at the beginning of a revolution of sorts? Maybe more idols will see this and demand that such clauses be removed from their contracts. Would be a nice change to see. But on the flip side, I hope they don't get to American levels, where every single time anyone of the opposite sex even hangs out "_ is dating _, read all about it here!"
It would be a start. They'll be making real progress when their fans stop acting like petulant babies every their idol decides to date someone.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
From a normal persons standpoint it's seems like a good decision that such a practice was ruled unjust, but from a business/legal standpoint these girls are in the wrong.

Wanting to be in a romantic relationship with another person isn't wrong, talent companies and the like coming out with contract clauses designed to prevent or restrict this on the other hand is wrong pure and simple and should be discouraged from being put into contracts in the future.....along with Japan getting better in how they perceive people who do or don't do certain things that aren't frowned upon in other places.

Dfens wrote:

So maybe these girls need to either make sure that they aren't seen in public with their boyfriend and keep their private lives really secret or wait until their career is over which in most cases is only a few years before they want to start a relationship with someone.

Yeah these 12-17 year old girls should be forced to keep their attraction to the opposite (or same sex) to themselves just because.....I was under the impression we were living in the 21st Century where things like this generally aren't done any more in certain cultures.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It's not as if this worship culture is exclusive to Japan or anything. People should look up Justin Bieber fangirls whenever a female celebrity mentioned she has a crush on him, or starts dating him. Death threats, insults, and Twitter raids all around. Also look up all those teenage girls practicing self mutilation in a protest to stop getting Justin Bieber I'm smoking weed. I've never seen a news report on fujoshi or otaku doing anything as extreme as that. Admittedly, it started out as a joke, but then girls started actually doing it. Sheesh.

championferret wrote:
I really need to interject here. A lot of the fan reaction to the Miyano thing a few years back was revolting, definitely, but it's not comparable. Miyano's career didn't suffer at all. He is still one of the hottest names in the seiyuu industry and still has a massive legion of fans that adore him.
Meanwhile, if we look at what happened when there was controversy with a female seiyuu - Aya Hirano - for the horrible crime of 'having consensual sex', her fan base all shrank to a small percentage of what it was originally, her fans were burning her CDs and even merch of characters that she played, and she went from one of the most popular female seiyuu to one hardly anyone ever sees in anime credits these days and she -isn't even an idol-. So yeah, this is about gender, and don't try to pretend women arent affected far worse by it. Male idols may suffer the same bullshit and there are definitely some terrible instances of it but they never get dragged for it remotely as much.

Aya Hirano is basically Japanese Britney Spears, though. She was controversial even before that scandal with her band. The way she handled the situation was far more self destructive than idols usually handle it, by blaming tons of people other than herself, insulting her fanbase, saying she only cared about her music career, and other things which didn't help the situation dissolve. Other female idols, like Minami Minegishi, get in trouble, but return to normal and resumed their careers afterwards.

-Stuart Smith
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Self mutilation among idol fans is way more common in K-Pop than in the Western pop music or J-Pop, then again that fanbase is on a whole different level and there's far more problematic fans in K-Pop, I mean what fan of J-pop commits a burglary just to get a "souvenir" belonging to their favorite idol? Also, they are the only fans that will bully and threaten fans for not being obsessed enough.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

The parents often pressure them to be idols, for adults and older teenagers it's a choice but the young ones are often forced into it.

It is not one way or the other way. Some parents do push their kids into it, some friends convince their friends to go into it, and some kids chose it because it sounds glamorous or they want to be famous. It is the same for kids over here too.

Hoppy800 wrote:

An idol industry would be restricted in the US to 18, so we wouldn't have issues like this and most likely no purity contracts either.

That is not true. You do have child actors and child singers. Yes, they would have to abide by child labor laws, but there is nothing in the child labor laws that say they can't train or perform as idols. Nothing in the child labor laws that say they can't meet their fans either.

Hoppy800 wrote:

As for "paying your dues", there are better and more reasonable ways of doing that for idols. Also, it isn't that we don't like their career choice we want it to change for the better.

"Paying your dues" is not something that is put in place, like something on a checklist. It is caused by the industry itself. If the fans want Metal, and you are playing Pop Rock, well you are going to have an empty stadium and no money. For the Idol industry, the fans want the illusion of a pure and chaste idol. If you are not providing that illusion, well, you are not going to be in business anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5