• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Details G Gundam, Gundam Wing Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

You'll find it in the set, it was used.

Oh! I see it there amongst the physical extras (posters I think?) I missed that before Anime hyper That's great to see Anime smile I hope you can get the LE artwork for more future releases =D

Quote:

IBO will be coming this fall, November if I remember.

I must have missed that, great to hear Smile

Thanks for the responses, and I hope Gundam-San is being considered for a domestic release even if you can't comment on it Wink
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
The Gundam Wing Ultra Edition looks impressive with all those extra bonus material. Gundam Wing still holds a place in my heart as one of my most loved Gundam series. I'll definitely want this edition when it comes out. Duo Maxwell stands as my most favorite of the five Gundam pilots in the series because of his fun personality, humor, and charm. Duo's truly hardworking and resourceful. He's a personal favorite in regards to the Gundam franchise as a whole. Treize Khushrenada embodies what it means to be an officer and a gentleman in my eyes, he truly knows how to treat a lady. Lady Une is truly fortunate to have Treize's affections. In the English dub, David Kaye truly did an amazing job voicing Treize bringing out his cultured mannerisms and charisma. The relationship shared between Zechs Merquise and Lucrezia Noin is also among my most favored Gundam pairings, Noin's utmost devotion to the man she loves is heartwarming, Zechs' faith and trust in Noin as well as his own feelings he has for her, how they treat each other with respect and understanding, and their chemistry together endeared me to their relationship. Wing has an amazing female cast too, each with their own individual set of values and personal beliefs in what shapes them as individuals and how they develop as characters. It was interesting to see the scenes shared between Relena Peacecraft and Dorothy Catalonia in how the latter served as the antithesis to the former. Speaking of Dorothy, I liked her scene in the movie version of Endless Waltz in how she "inspired" ordinary citizens to stand up and fight for themselves. Sally Po is a pillar of strength in how she was portrayed throughout the series, truly a courageous woman. I felt G-Gundam's female cast was underwhelming, none really stood out to me as interesting.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I apologize if this is off topic but if any one can answer I'd be extremely grateful. This past year it's felt like there have been a million different Gundam series getting released on bluray and it's overwhelmingly confusing to me as I haven't a clue about the franchise. Are all the series connected or all their separate stories? Where would someone even start if t hey wanted to try out this series? Dubbed series are preferred as Sci-fi/space/robots isn't a genre/theme I tend to like very often with some exceptions and the lack of dub on top of that would probably make it unwatchable for me but would like to as least try some of this franchise is there are any friendly starting points for someone like me, thank you very much!

Since nobody really gave you a quality answer, I'll recommend two shows.

In terms of alternate timelines (not connected to the UC timeline created by Yoshiyuki Tomino (Gundam creator)), I'd recommend Gundam Wing. Regardless of what some may say here, it's a legitimately entertaining show that is worth watching.

Aside from that, I'd recommend watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam. That will give you the foundation to further explore other series, such as the excellent Zeta Gundam sequel, and the well-done 08th MS Team OVA.

Feel free to PM if you need any further recommendations, provided you haven't already started delving into Gundam series already.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
From the Alternate Universe Turn A is the only show I feel comfortable recommending because it is a weird show that has a different but welcoming approach to the Gundam experience. SEED can also be a good watch because it serves as a decent and updated retelling of Gundam 0079.

A couple corrections here. Turn A is not an "alternate universe." It takes place during the Correct Century, which is merely an evolution of the Universal Century. To avoid confusion, anything made by Yoshiyuki Tomino (Creator of Gundam) is connected to the UC timeline. In fact, Turn A not only is directly tied to the UC timeline, but also Future Century, After Colony, and After War. Turn A was an attempt by Tomino to combine all of the Gundam series at the time into one established continuity.

Beside the fact that it's meant to combine all of the Gundam series in the 80s and 90s together, I definitely would not recommend it to a newcomer. They will not understand anything that is happening. Gundam Wing, in my humble opinion, would be the only alternate timeline Gundam series I would recommend to newcomers. Gundam SEED removed a lot of the quality storytelling of Mobile Suit Gundam in favor of generic anime tropes and fan service.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
G Gundam probably isn't popular enough to merit the special edition treatment but I much rather would have gotten a deluxe box set of that than Wing. Can't always get what you want though. Such is life.

I disagree, but that should be for obvious reasons. That being said, G Gundam was very popular. It wasn't as popular as Wing in the US, but it did very well. Gundam Battle Assault 2 was the result of the huge popularity of both series in the US.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam is a day 1 Buy for me, which in this day and age for physical media is incredibly rare. But it’s my favorite, even if it’s so radically different from the others (and has more cheese than a pizzeria.)

Wing? Eh, 00 was better and you all know it.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GundamZX"]
shawnek wrote:
Releasing just Wing and the OVA/movie for around $100 with a limited box would be enough to make me happy as a casual Wing fan. Half of the extras just seem like stationary that I remember seeing in stores back in the early 2000s. Its okay I guess if you're a really big fan of Wing but really wish you guys put more love in the other Gundam series as well.

Gundam Wing was, and probably still is, the most popular Gundam series in the US. It single-handedly popularized Gundam in the West. If any Gundam series is likely to sell a lot of collector's editions, it's going to be Gundam Wing. Potentially anyone that saw the show as a kid on Toonami in 2000 could buy the CE. I know I already pre-ordered it.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
[snip]

Fun fact: Duo Maxwell was originally going to be the protagonist of Gundam Wing because the creators did not believe Heero Yuy would be popular among viewers.

Gundam Wing had an amazing cast of characters. What makes Wing so unique from the rest of the Gundam series is that it wasn't just about the mecha, but it was a drama on its own. G Gundam was just a goofy idea that was made sporadically, largely because Tomino had just quit working for Sunrise (he was frustrated with them over Victory Gundam) and Bandai wanted to keep milking the Gundam property.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
G Gundam is a day 1 Buy for me, which in this day and age for physical media is incredibly rare. But it’s my favorite, even if it’s so radically different from the others (and has more cheese than a pizzeria.)

Wing? Eh, 00 was better and you all know it.

I like G Gundam, but it's nothing more than a silly spinoff for some cheap laughs.

Wing is definitely better than 00. The latter was just a copy/paste of Wing for 00's first season, with the second season being an absolutel disaster and the Trailblazer film completely destroying that series.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I already have the Ultra Collector's Edition for Gundam Wing pre-ordered. It will go nicely alongside my original Bandai release of the DVD collection and Endless Waltz. The art book, interviews, and Frozen Teardrop extra will also be nice additions.

I don't care for G Gundam at all, even if the show was entertaining and funny for the ridiculousness of the premise. I still need to pick up Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Char's Counterattack. I don't typically buy Blu-Rays, but I feel I should support this recent resurgence of Gundam in the US.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Imagawa is the reason G is so good. The guy has a talent for blending cheese and characters together. Look at Giant Robo.

And yes 00 is better. The characters and political alignments are way more clearly defined, and the reasonings of a lot of characters makes way more sense.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Imagawa is the reason G is so good. The guy has a talent for blending cheese and characters together. Look at Giant Robo.

And yes 00 is better. The characters and political alignments are way more clearly defined, and the reasonings of a lot of characters makes way more sense.

Again, it's funny and cheap entertainment. I would never call G Gundam "good" though. It's quirky, weird, and makes about as much sense as Turn A Gundam and SD Gundam.

You obviously did not watch all of 00, and probably not Wing at all. The fact that Setsuna becomes a human-alien hybrid that is essentially immortal and was able to end war through telepathic "understanding" is more than enough evidence to prove how laughably bad 00 is. The first season was decent, but that's only because it largely copied Wing for the majority of it. After it made a departure in the second season, the entire story went up in flames.

Wing also had great antagonists, such as Treize and Zechs. 00's antagonists, such as Ali Al-Saachez and Ribbons Almark, were horrendously bad. Again, don't make me get started on the alien nonsense in the Trailblazer film.

Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion, even if I think your tastes in Gundam series is terrible. I'll be happy with the Gundam Wing CE all the same.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and Reelena’s endless platitudes about pacifism actually meant something? Credit to 00 for pointing out that the talk was just that, talk.

And then all weapons everywhere got thrown away. Yeah, that was totally more believable.

I don’t even hate Wing, but it has serious flaws.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
For starters Heero Yuy 195 you're replying to a topic that is almost 2 months old and you made many consecutive posts. We generally frown upon both as that's very close to necroposting and we prefer users simply make 1 post when they respond to multiple people as opposed to 3, 4, & 5+ consecutive posts as it just clutters things up. Especially when you're responding to multiple people in a topic that everyone had moved on from and was done.

More importantly though you need to watch the attitude and insults. You come off as condescending towards those with differing opinions than your own. You claim people are entitled to their own opinions but you tell one user that no one else answered them properly because what they got for response you don't agree with apparently. You tell someone else with a different opinion than your own that they have terrible taste. We do not allow backhanded insults like that here. I suggest moving forward you aquatint yourself with our rules and post a bit more civilly towards other users and leave out the condescension. Thank you.
Heero Yuy 195

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
[snip]

I meant no offense. I merely responded to the article, considering none of these products are actually available to the public yet. I would have done a multi-quote in my post, but I did not see such an option available. If you could kindly tell me how to do it, I will refrain from multiple posts in the future.

I have not insulted anyone and I apologize if it came across that way. Nobody provided that poster with an actual answer (they told them to either "Google search" or gave them a convoluted history of the Gundam franchise). I provided two series that could be good entry points. I appreciate the response and I'll try to be more compliant within your rules going forward. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5