• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Platinum End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
That rant might be the purest form of whataboutism ever put to paper. What in the world.

Agreed, but unlike the reviewer, I think the show should be commended for cutting out that crappy speech.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I wish the review didn't remind me of Temari's weird ass rant. I wiped it from memory.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:47 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
That rant might be the purest form of whataboutism ever put to paper. What in the world.

Agreed, but unlike the reviewer, I think the show should be commended for cutting out that crappy speech.

I think that this was what he meant to say but he was sarcastic about it. That speech had no business in our screens and it was a sensible choice to cut it off. To me it seemed like Ohba's own rant about justifying his own homophobic remarks in a real life conversation that he just wanted to put on paper to get it out of his system. It's that random and cut out from the rest of the story - not that it has showcased the greatest writing ever so far anyways.

Made me really happy that LxLight is one of the most popular BL ships, not for any other reason other than it must have made him fume. Laughing
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:21 am Reply with quote
I never thought Temari's rant was homophobic but more a general comment on how crappy the goals of the main characters are. If your goal is to eliminate the poor and ugly, how do you decide who qualifies? And once you presumably get rid of those that you or society feels fit these qualifications, those that once might have been considered middle class or "5s" are now the poor/ugly ones. Do you get rid of them too until there's no one left?

Regarding her opinion on homosexuality, it is one that a lot of Japanese people share. There are businesses, apartments, etc. that will turn you away for your sexual preferences in Japan. Same thing with being a foreigner - some landlords won't lease their property unless you're Japanese. While I disagree with refusing to do business with those based on sexual preference and nationality, as these practices still exist in 2022, it's clear that there are many Japanese nationals that agree with them.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I never thought Temari's rant was homophobic but more a general comment on how crappy the goals of the main characters are. If your goal is to eliminate the poor and ugly, how do you decide who qualifies? And once you presumably get rid of those that you or society feels fit these qualifications, those that once might have been considered middle class or "5s" are now the poor/ugly ones. Do you get rid of them too until there's no one left?

Regarding her opinion on homosexuality, it is one that a lot of Japanese people share. There are businesses, apartments, etc. that will turn you away for your sexual preferences in Japan. Same thing with being a foreigner - some landlords won't lease their property unless you're Japanese. While I disagree with refusing to do business with those based on sexual preference and nationality, as these practices still exist in 2022, it's clear that there are many Japanese nationals that agree with them.

Really like how you went from “I don’t think it was homophobic” on to a whole second paragraph of homophobic actions that you yourself associated with it.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I never thought Temari's rant was homophobic...
It's clear that there are many Japanese nationals that agree with them.

And many Japanese people are Homophobic, cause that's what it is. Just because there are a lot of people with the same opinion doesn't make that opinion defenseable.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Her speech was more about how people conflate dislike with actual discrimination. Saying you dislike something is far different than actually wanting to harm or destroy something. She uses an example of how if they're the same then someone refusing to date an ugly person would be considered discriminatory and on the same level as wanting to harm said ugly person, which is the kind of logic some incels use when women refuse their advances. I think her example was very interesting because dating preferences are something that absolutely get scrutinized in some circles. Whether it's people refusing to date fat people, or lesbians refusing to date transwomen, people have a lot of strong opinions about people having dating preferences and consider them discriminatory.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Her speech was more about how people conflate dislike with actual discrimination. Saying you dislike something is far different than actually wanting to harm or destroy something. She uses an example of how if they're the same then someone refusing to date an ugly person would be considered discriminatory and on the same level as wanting to harm said ugly person, which is the kind of logic some incels use when women refuse their advances. I think her example was very interesting because dating preferences are something that absolutely get scrutinized in some circles. Whether it's people refusing to date fat people, or lesbians refusing to date transwomen, people have a lot of strong opinions about people having dating preferences and consider them discriminatory.

Didn't her speech start with being annoyed at other character's behavior, something she didn't have to react at all? I will always defend anyone's right to have any preferences they happen to have, no matter how un-PC, but if I understand that manga page correctly, she criticized someone explicitly for gushing about another man, completely unprompted.She didn't even had to mention the gay part to say that constant gushing is annoying.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
For full context, since the whole scene was cut from the anime, the lead up to those pages were

- Mirai and Saki go off to have their whole pyramid love confession
- Hoshi notices they're missing
- Yuri suggests they may have run off rather than face Yoneda
- Hoshi says he trusts Mirai, possibly due to being under the influence of Mirai's red arrow

That leads into Yuri's line about "guy-on-guy" being "hard to take". So no, it has 0 connection with what she rants about after that. Nobody was telling her she has to be attracted to women, or date a woman, or marry a woman, or anything. She said something rude because Hoshi expressed a pretty standard amount of trust in another man, and apparently that was too gay for her to let go without a snide comment. Then when she was mildly scolded by 1 person for a microaggression, she went on that totally unrelated list of whataboutisms. Like I said in the review, it's totally unprompted by anything going on in the scene or the story at large. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with any of the other characters' motivations or goals, like somebody suggested.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't know that you guys could give ratings in increments below .5s. Sure there are the meme values, but still.
Kirki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Will Mirai really sacrifice himself for Saki? Will Yoneda succeed at killing God? Will anyone still be reading these reviews or watching the show to find out? Will they care if they are?

We're here! Don't despair! Let's add some more questions:

Where did the argument about knowing the future even come from?
What were they even talking about?
How could those girls be as tragically stupid as to fall for that tragically stupid trap?
Why does Mirai get even more obnoxious every time he opens his mouth?

Those are the real philosophical questions.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:

Where did the argument about knowing the future even come from?
What were they even talking about?

It gets even funnier in the manga. They cut out part of Yoneda's speech where he says humanity not only will achieve transhumanist immortality, but will be able to control space-time to where they can predict the infinite future 100% accurately AND create time machines. But since there's never been somebody who came back in time, that means humanity must have discovered that you cannot change the future.

Temari responds with "Well OBVIOUSLY that means The Time Patrol is doing their job and keeping people from changing the course of history!"

Yoneda look at her like she's the dumbest person on earth and then they abruptly stop talking about it. It's amazingly dumb.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Why Mirai cares about Saki dying?

Isn't it established there is a heaven in this universe and if she dies she goes there and he as God can go and visit her, revive her or whatever?
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Temari responds with "Well OBVIOUSLY that means The Time Patrol is doing their job and keeping people from changing the course of history!"

Yoneda look at her like she's the dumbest person on earth and then they abruptly stop talking about it. It's amazingly dumb.

But where does Yoneda get the audacity from? Like, how is what Temari's saying more ridiculous than the whole theory he just pulled right from the backside of his right flipper? Dude, if you're going to tell us in full seriousness that time travel will be possible, then anyone is allowed to tell you that they'll be authorities regulating it. She's just matching your energy! (But she's not a scientist so she shall be unceremoniously dismissed by your superior intellect I guess)

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Why Mirai cares about Saki dying?

Isn't it established there is a heaven in this universe and if she dies she goes there and he as God can go and visit her, revive her or whatever?

Congratulations you just rightfully negated the entire concept of the series. Laughing Which is basically live, because as long as you live you can be happy. But that should be based on the fact that you only have one life. When we've seen angels carrying souls to heaven, it's pretty much like saying afterlife exists.

Probably the inner train of thought (which is never cleared up for us) is that heaven doesn't actually exist, nobody knows what happens to those souls, and nobody knows what becoming God will actually mean and what they'll be able to do or not do once they become it, so they don't want to risk it.
theroonco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
lossthief wrote:

But where does Yoneda get the audacity from? Like, how is what Temari's saying more ridiculous than the whole theory he just pulled right from the backside of his right flipper? Dude, if you're going to tell us in full seriousness that time travel will be possible, then anyone is allowed to tell you that they'll be authorities regulating it. She's just matching your energy! (But she's not a scientist so she shall be unceremoniously dismissed by your superior intellect I guess)

You see, the problem here is that you've thought about this way more than Ohba did, which is to say: you thought about it.

Also, @lossthief, I don't know if you're the one reviewing these episodes, but if you are: thank you. These are by far the best part of the entire Platinum End franchise, so thank you for suffering for our enjoyment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8