• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Matsuri Licenses, Dubs 2 Anime Shorts From Nippon Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
A classic example of how "who" can trump "what" when it comes to news. But hey, any exposure of the loooong history of malpractice by the "who" is welcome. Source: my partner is an ex-Texan lolita. I struggled to believe some of the stories she told me about the Leighs. 20 years' worth of grifts and scams in a number of industries. Sexual harassment of volunteers. Their MO is to use frontmen and proxies to fool people into thinking they're working with someone else, then pull the rug once it's too late. Would bet my bottom dollar that is what they did here. Unless a VA outright says they support the Leighs and want to work with them, I would assume they were duped.

You didn't even need Mingenono in the mix for this to be problematic.

If anything, I hope the addition of his unique flavour of poop to the thick brown crapshake that is Anime Matsuri will further highlight how both parties are not to be ignored but actively reviled and rejected.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
So sad Vic did and continues to stir things up in the anime dubbing community instead of leaving and pursuing other things. The community is utterly divided because of the mess he created.
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
FunkyDude88 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
You obviously haven't seen the zeal of Mignogna's supporters in their unyielding harassment of Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi, and other Funimation staff or their supporters. They've turned a shady convention into an all-out alt-right hangout and YouTube into their mouthpiece to spread their hate.

Fact is, Mignogna is a predator and his supporters are in the same vein. He's been victimizing people for over a decade.

Okay. I'll bite. What makes Vic Mignogna and his friends "alt-right", exactly? Seen it mentioned a few times now. Please tell me they invited Richard Spencer as a guest at Anime Matsuri at least and it's not just another "this guy said Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie" sort of thing like people did with the Angry Video Game Nerd.

No, we're talking people who are actually part of the alt-right pipeline. Feel free to view the guest list yourself.
https://2022.animematsuri.com/speaker-list-dark/

Multiple Comicsgate/Fandom Menace YouTubers, people who've very directly said that minorities and women do not belong in comics and Star Wars and that everything under the sun constitutes as "going woke", two YouTube lawyers who milked the Depp/Heard lawsuit... like, it's already weird to have lawyers be actual guests of honor at an anime convention, but TWO is even more strange. The Angry Video Game Nerd having a random opinion people didn't agree with about Ghostbusters 2016 one time is absolutely nothing compared to the hate machine these particular guests generate.

Hmm i see Eric July whose starting his own comic, he looks black. I see a bunch of female guests, one named that starwars girl, i assume she likes starwars. She seemingly is promoting a Nick Rekieta on twitter so i guess he doesnt mind her being a fan of star wars. Then there is Ryan Kimmel who backed Eric Julys comic.

I dont see what your talking about. I mean you didn't even mention Drex from Migtown Podcast is there
blooperboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:

Hmm i see Eric July whose starting his own comic, he looks black. I see a bunch of female guests, one named that starwars girl, i assume she likes starwars. She seemingly is promoting a Nick Rekieta on twitter so i guess he doesnt mind her being a fan of star wars. Then there is Ryan Kimmel who backed Eric Julys comic.

I dont see what your talking about. I mean you didn't even mention Drex from Migtown Podcast is there

"I can't be racist I have black friends."

Thats the argument you're using. By that logic it doesn't matter how terrible one of their guests is as long as they invite another guest that is part of a minority that first person has said terrible things about.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:
FunkyDude88 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
You obviously haven't seen the zeal of Mignogna's supporters in their unyielding harassment of Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi, and other Funimation staff or their supporters. They've turned a shady convention into an all-out alt-right hangout and YouTube into their mouthpiece to spread their hate.

Fact is, Mignogna is a predator and his supporters are in the same vein. He's been victimizing people for over a decade.

Okay. I'll bite. What makes Vic Mignogna and his friends "alt-right", exactly? Seen it mentioned a few times now. Please tell me they invited Richard Spencer as a guest at Anime Matsuri at least and it's not just another "this guy said Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie" sort of thing like people did with the Angry Video Game Nerd.

No, we're talking people who are actually part of the alt-right pipeline. Feel free to view the guest list yourself.

Multiple Comicsgate/Fandom Menace YouTubers, people who've very directly said that minorities and women do not belong in comics and Star Wars and that everything under the sun constitutes as "going woke", two YouTube lawyers who milked the Depp/Heard lawsuit... like, it's already weird to have lawyers be actual guests of honor at an anime convention, but TWO is even more strange. The Angry Video Game Nerd having a random opinion people didn't agree with about Ghostbusters 2016 one time is absolutely nothing compared to the hate machine these particular guests generate.

Are you deliberately dodging things because you know exactly who I'm talking about and what they do, or do you really not know who the problematic people on that list are and what they're associated with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Are you deliberately dodging things because you know exactly who I'm talking about and what they do, or do you really not know who the problematic people on that list are and what they're associated with?

Here’s a hint. Look at their history. The Vic threads in particular.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:

Here’s a hint. Look at their history. The Vic threads in particular.

Yeah, that's basically exactly what I was getting at. When people show up to be disingenuous, they don't hide their act very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I think it’s telling that whether or not the VAs involved knew about Vic’s involvement beforehand, the only ones who have tweeted about this project have been Morgan Berry to disavow her involvement and that Jacob Takanashi guy. As far as I’m aware, Jacob Takanashi hasn’t had any actual professional voice acting prior to this and seems to be one of Vic’s pals. But as far as I’m aware, none of the other actual professional VAs involved have tweeted about their roles even though it’s premiering at Anime Matsuri this weekend. It’s clear they’re hoping this all blows over and everyone quickly forgets about it in like another two weeks. But you can clearly tell the VAs know they messed up and are embarrassed about it.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I want to believe that most of these VAs in fact had no idea who they were working with.

Shame on Anime Matsuri for continuing to platform this washed-up pervert.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think it’s telling that whether or not the VAs involved knew about Vic’s involvement beforehand, the only ones who have tweeted about this project have been Morgan Berry to disavow her involvement and that Jacob Takanashi guy. As far as I’m aware, Jacob Takanashi hasn’t had any actual professional voice acting prior to this and seems to be one of Vic’s pals. But as far as I’m aware, none of the other actual professional VAs involved have tweeted about their roles even though it’s premiering at Anime Matsuri this weekend. It’s clear they’re hoping this all blows over and everyone quickly forgets about it in like another two weeks. But you can clearly tell the VAs know they messed up and are embarrassed about it.

I'm told that, yes, it's true, a number of VAs were not aware of what happened.

But Jacob was in on the ground floor. He was part of the livestream announcement of these short films. This is not the first year he's been directly involved with Anime Matsuri, and has in fact been on staff with them before.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:

I'm told that, yes, it's true, a number of VAs were not aware of what happened.

But Jacob was in on the ground floor. He was part of the livestream announcement of these short films. This is not the first year he's been directly involved with Anime Matsuri, and has in fact been on staff with them before.
Yeah but like I wouldn't really count him as a "voice actor" because he seems to have only been in minor indie roles before this and he doesn't even have a page on Behind the Voice Actors and only recently had a page added to ANN. He seems to have only gotten involved because of his connections with Vic and Anime Matsuri and he definitely has an agenda in promoting it while the other VAs just saw it as another business opportunity they should have done better research into first. He's like one of those people who put "aspiring voice actor" in their Twitter profile but spend all their time complaining about dubs.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'd love to be excited about Tiffany Vollmer's return to anime dubbing, but yikes. In her case, she may have little-to-no knowledge about Vic's past controversy since she's so far outside the anime dubbing circle. Hopefully she at least turns up in a different, completely unrelated project.

SERIOUSLY. Tiffany Vollmer returning to anime would be totally awesome... if it was in anything other than this. Why this, of all things? Maybe she wanted to ease herself back into anime by starting small? I sure hope so, because this is not a great look, no matter the circumstances.

She moved back to Dallas a few years ago and has been active in the con scene, so I figured it was only a matter of time. This was probably the easiest way for her to get back in the loop. Or maybe she’s only in it at all because they asked her, and she doesn’t really want to return to voiceover. I know she apparently turned down the opportunity to reprise Bulma in Battle of Gods because she didn’t want to travel back to Dallas at the time. She has a really distinctive voice and is a solid actress under the right direction. It would be interesting to hear her in more roles.

Stephanie Nadolny also says she’s finally getting some light work at Crunchyroll, but thankfully it looks like she’s not involved with this.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:40 am Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:

Multiple Comicsgate/Fandom Menace YouTubers, people who've very directly said that minorities and women do not belong in comics and Star Wars and that everything under the sun constitutes as "going woke", two YouTube lawyers who milked the Depp/Heard lawsuit... like, it's already weird to have lawyers be actual guests of honor at an anime convention, but TWO is even more strange. The Angry Video Game Nerd having a random opinion people didn't agree with about Ghostbusters 2016 one time is absolutely nothing compared to the hate machine these particular guests generate..

I'm genuinely not seeing the issue here. If your entire reasoning for calling someone alt-right is because they hate woke media then that's a lot of people in the anime community. That's a pretty commonly held viewpoint here as well in a lot of talkback threads when the topic comes up like High Guardian Spice and Crunchyroll Originals threads. Myself include, for the record. I guess you'd call me alt-right as well for not liking that stuff?

Why are they at an anime convention? The same reason Anime Expo had Twitch streamers and YouTubers like Pokimane and DisguisedToast, or other conventions invite YouTube comedians like King Vader. Because anime conventions aren't actually about anime in the end, just nerd gatherings.. They weren't when My Little Pony was a huge fad back in the 2010s, or Homestuck back int he 2000s and those two properties dominated conventions. There's plenty of non-anime stuff at anime conventions and it's been that way for a long time. I don't see the issue outside you disagreeing with their opinions here. If people can survive a convention having a feminist panel, I think people can deal with a panel from a girl who thinks The Last Jedi is a bad movie.
sammicorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
two YouTube lawyers who milked the Depp/Heard lawsuit...

I'm actually sitting here in a hotel room about to head out to AM for the day but something I wanted to say since I attended a Rekieta Law panel yesterday and now I hear I'm in the alt-right pipline Shocked Rekieta Law's coverage of Depp v Heard was amazing and some of the best entertainment out there. Very funny, very informative, and a wonderful way to watch the whole clown circus and have it broken down by an actual lawyer. Asmongold's coverage was fun too, but he's not a lawyer so that was more for comedy and seeing his reaction. I get why the mainstream media hates streamers who covered it since they outperformed all the traditional media coverage of it and now they're scared as hell at being replaced and made obsolete, but I'm not sure why the average person would hate them so much. Is the fact he was supportive of Depp the reason? I know some people are still siding with Heard despite everything we've learned, and that media outlets really tried to push the whole "all the Depp support was a bot conspiracy by Youtubers!" nonsense that absolutely no one with half a brain bought, but otherwise I can't see why covering Depp v Heard would be evidence for being alt-right or a bad thing in general or make him a bad person. I didn't get that impression at all but YMMV
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
So the big premiere of these shorts came and went last night, annnnnnnnnnd nobody's talking about them.

I saw a picture of the room they used; it wasn't even half full of people. Apparently more people went to Rekieta's panel than to the dubbed anime AM went out of their way to promote.

I'm starting to think this dubbing studio isn't going to be as lucrative as Vic McNuggets hopes it is. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8