• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bocchi the Rock!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that I feel like my past anime viewing experiences have shaded my expectations, albeit slightly different than the review. I felt that the mention about the guitar and its age was going to be foreshadowing to someone realizing that it's the same one GuitarHero uses, since we do know from a prior episode that some of Bocchi's classmates are familiar with her online alter ego. And I'll be absolutely shocked if Kita doesn't end up losing her voice. The moment they showed her with that tiny cough I was certain they'd be following the old trope and have an illness at the last moment toss a major obstacle their way, with no choice left but for Bocchi to save the day. The alternative - the affirmation for Bocchi that not everything goes wrong for her - would be heart-warming too, as that look she had during that scene said she was sensing something was about to go badly.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was waiting for the other shoe too.

Loved the Bocchi safari, including the dash through the undergrowth to the cute little felted Bocchi-splotch. (They gonna sell those? I think I'd buy one)

Bocchi seemed to notice something was up with Kita, but then talked herself out of it. Could just be that she's a lot more nervous than her extreme extrovert personality will allow her to show.

On to the climax next week! This has been a real gem of the season. The premise was probably always going to be the sort of thing I'm up for. But the studio has really delivered far in excess of expectations.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:

Bocchi seemed to notice something was up with Kita, but then talked herself out of it. Could just be that she's a lot more nervous than her extreme extrovert personality will allow her to show.

Like DRosencraft, I saw this as maybe Bocchi noticing that Kita is coming down with something, but it could also be that she's noticing Kita playing a bit better(since she's practicing in semi-secret with the others)? But then maybe she's going to have an exhaustion-based illness because she's been practicing secretly to support Bocchi? Plus they really gave it their all at the maid cafe when they should likely be resting before the show.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
That jar Bocchi picks up to jam with after her string breaks --- is it one of Kukuri's saké bottles?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
That jar Bocchi picks up to jam with after her string breaks --- is it one of Kukuri's saké bottles?

Yep! They even made sure to seed that in episode 11 when Kikuri mentions she brought the kind that comes in glasses for the special occasion.
ShouldBeNEET

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
ANN reviewers will give any anime episode a 5 star rating, eh? The finale was mid as hell.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
ShouldBeNEET wrote:
ANN reviewers will give any anime episode a 5 star rating, eh? The finale was mid as hell.

Really good finales get ratings to match, yeah. Your comment is extra-mid and gets 0/5 stars.

This episode was a great send off to what quickly became one of my favorite shows of the season. I think these 12 episodes have covered a large portion of the manga, so it could be a long while before we get another season. Really accurate expressions of social anxiety throughout, and the mixed-media bits were some of my favorite scenes.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
ShouldBeNEET wrote:

Really good finales get ratings to match, yeah. Your comment is extra-mid and gets 0/5 stars.

This episode was a great send off to what quickly became one of my favorite shows of the season. I think these 12 episodes have covered a large portion of the manga, so it could be a long while before we get another season. Really accurate expressions of social anxiety throughout, and the mixed-media bits were some of my favorite scenes.

I wouldn't have put it as... bluntly as the person you're replying to did, but I have to say the performance of the finale wasn't as visually gripping or impressive as episode 5 or 8. It was a fine episode, but didn't feel finale worthy.

The bits with Kita meanwhile were, however, very sweet and touching. As was the secret monetization and the scene of Bocchi looking in the mirror with her guitar matching the one from Episode 1.

Overall I think it's more of a 7/10 for me as an episode. It just didn't have me glued to my seat like the episode 8 performance did.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I wouldn't have put it as... bluntly as the person you're replying to did, but I have to say the performance of the finale wasn't as visually gripping or impressive as episode 5 or 8. It was a fine episode, but didn't feel finale worthy.

I get that, and I'm sure a lot of it can be chalked up to this being an unfinished series and the studio needing to just pick a point to end the season on. I definitely prefer some of the other episodes to this one as well.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
So the thing Bocchi was noticing about Kita in the previous episode was... that she'd got good?

Never mind Bocchi, my anxiety levels were off the charts when Kita picked up the mic and said "looks like you'll have to say something"! I can barely imagine anything more horrifying. (In future, they need a pre-prepared joke Bocchi can just trot out if needed. That or make muteness part of her stage character and the rest of the band can riff on it)

The shopping trip was fun and sweet, with Kita stepping in once again to help Bocchi get what she wants but is unable to articulate.

In a season full of big titles, I've found my favourite shows have all been the ones like this that have punched well above their weight. A really great piece of work by CloverWorks.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
Who'd have guessed that an adaptation of a four-panel manga would turn out this good? The direction, story-boarding, and visuals really helped sell the humor, but also delivered on moments of tension. One of several surprise hits this season.

Thesarum wrote:
Never mind Bocchi, my anxiety levels were off the charts when Kita picked up the mic and said "looks like you'll have to say something"! I can barely imagine anything more horrifying.

Why in the world did Kita think it was a good idea to suddenly and unexpectedly stick a microphone in front of someone known to melt in any social situation? The result was hilarious and also filled with second-hand cringe.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:08 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:

I get that, and I'm sure a lot of it can be chalked up to this being an unfinished series and the studio needing to just pick a point to end the season on. I definitely prefer some of the other episodes to this one as well.

The sliding guitar part was more impressive in the manga (and they cut out Hitori saying "good things sometimes happens because of me drinking"), but it was still good episode and nice send-off, just not one of the best.

I wonder if someone noticed that Bocchi used sake bottle for her improvised solo. I can just imagine the growing tales of a silent, "lone wolf" type crazy hard rock chick that constantly brought music stuff to school while never talking to anyone, and then during school festival concert broke her guitar strings while rocking too hard, immediately drank a sake glass on stage and used empty glass to play, then after her solo yelled "$#%# $##$%, you mother#@!" and drunk-dived from the stage. At least if Bocchi ever becomes famous rockstar years later, I can imagine those sort of tales in interviews with her former classmates.
timber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
Bocchi's glass scene is already redone on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAQRxcLUeE.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I was late to start on this one, but after watching the weekly madness of Pop Team Epic this made an excellent follow-up. I had to restrain from binging the whole show all at once!

Bocchi is a great example, to me, of why the animation medium is so great. I love the experimentation and eccentricities of the show's visuals, which land every joke perfectly and are timed perfectly. This may be a CGDCG show like K-On!, but it has the energy of a comedy like Kaguya-sama, and it's full of heart all the way. I don't think I've ever had serious social anxiety, but I found myself empathizing with Bocchi numerous times over the series, and I appreciate how the show balances humor at Bocchi's expense with genuine sympathy for her condition. Presenting her friends and family as growing in understanding and helping her was hugely rewarding as well. This is a very goofy show, but it takes its content seriously in the parts that matter most.

I definitely hope we can get a 2nd season in the near future; this will probably become one of my favorites.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:16 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
I can just imagine the growing tales of a silent, "lone wolf" type crazy hard rock chick that constantly brought music stuff to school while never talking to anyone, and then during school festival concert broke her guitar strings while rocking too hard, immediately drank a sake glass on stage and used empty glass to play, then after her solo yelled "$#%# $##$%, you mother#@!" and drunk-dived from the stage.

Hahaha, perfect! Oh, man, I love this so much Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6