• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Insomniacs After School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
After all, it makes me wonder if this is going to be the type of show that pulls the rug out from under us just as we hit the pinnacle of happiness.

I hope not. If this show ends in tragedy I will probably hate it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Review wrote:
After all, it makes me wonder if this is going to be the type of show that pulls the rug out from under us just as we hit the pinnacle of happiness.

I hope not. If this show ends in tragedy I will probably hate it.

The manga is still ongoing, so it may be a few years before we see if the series ends tragically or not. I don't know if the series is continuing past the end of the current season, but if it does, we probably don't have to worry about any tragedy just yet.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I love the shot of the two guys sitting on the porch with the sunset in the background this episode Smile
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think all of this is going to be addressed in the next episode but it does make me wonder if there will be more story to tell after the season is over.

Oh, there is definitely more story to tell. Plenty of it.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:21 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
This doesn't feel like a YLIA type show so I feel like Isaki is just really self-conscious about how long she's going to live because of her health problems and not because she will actually die young.

Yeah, I took it as an expression of her lingering anxiety rather than any sort of indication her condition is worse than she says it is. Her awareness of mortality, even if there's no direct threat to her health, drives both sides of her personality. The Isaki that is proactive and bubbly and impulsive and needs to live in every moment. And the Isaki that is afraid of going to sleep, and of fully opening up to others.

Conservative and risk-averse Ganta doubling down on his resolve and "kidnapping" Isaki despite knowing full well how that's going to play with her parents is really out of character. It's the first time he's allowed himself to want things in a long time. (Made easier by the fact it's clearly something she wants too, and he finds fighting for her happiness much easier than fighting for his own).Our little photography geek has grown so much!

Can they make it to the finish line before the parents catch up? It's been in the OP all season, so you'd rather hope so!

And I reckon when the parents see things for themselves, they'll be supportive in the end. Cos that's generally how these stories play out. Though Isaki is gonna be grounded for at least a month.
J-l33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
If they make no more episodes of this this was a perfect ending point. No notes.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I’m so happy that we got a confession in this episode! Even though we didn’t get to hear Isaki’s reply, it’s pretty obvious that she feels the same for Ganta. I really hope that the series gets a second season as I really enjoyed seeing these two together.
Leo Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
No need for a second season. These kids are gonna be OK.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked both the confession and also the realistic consequence from her parents.
Gonzo_Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This show has my vote for best Romcom of the season, partly because Birdie Wing is in a genre of its own -- its a bit too amped up to fit in with slice of life, but way more romantic than a normal sports or action show.

The season had several top-tier competitors up against Insomniacs, including The Dangers in my Heart, Skip and Loafer and possibly My Love Story with Yamada-kun. And even the second tier was tolerable if too bland (Tonikawa and Galaxy, specifically). All of these shows were honest with their characters and their emotions without filtering them through tropes that overpower their individuality, but Insomniacs was the one that came up with a completely new "gimmick" to bring its characters together. There is no popular kid vs. outsider, tall girl/short guy, age gap or goof-ball vs. the class prince dynamic here, just two teens searching for something that was missing in their lives and finding a soulmate.

All four of my nominees stand out for writing characters that confront their fears and evolve in a positive direction over the course of the show. But the characters in Insomniacs took the most definitive steps to affirm their bond.

FWIW, Love Story with Yamada-kun has the best ear-worm opening song of the bunch, while Skip and Loafer has the best opening animation. Dangers was probably the funniest because many of the jokes were ones the characters told each other in dialog, though there were plenty of sight gags and puns written in too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
If anyone asks me to recommend a sincere and straightforward romance show, this would be pretty high up there.

It just did an amazing job crafting and building up the relationship between the leads, to the point where you could completely understand why they would fall for each other and want to be together, as their growing intimacy deepens. And all building up to the beautiful confession scene.

Of course they also didn't skimp out on the genuine youth drama and a fun and lively supporting cast.

This was a pretty good ending, but I hope the leaks for a season 2 turn out to be accurate. Just like with Loving Yamada at Lv999 I want to see these two dating after getting together.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
And I guess I don't have a soul so that's yet another problem I have to contend with. I didn't want the rom"com" that I wasn't promised, I wanted the drama the series toyed with throughout its run.

Bait and switch, a shaggy dog story, a Chekov's Gun that never went off, I don't know what happened here. I do feel Isaki as tempting fate in the summer vacation arc right up to her last line of "I'll tell you [I love you OR I have a serious heart condition and I'm not expected to live to 18] when I wake up."

Normal people: "I'm so happy Isaki is over her existential dread!"
Me: "Isaki's sister thinks the heart problem is still a threat, a problem she still hasn't fully discussed with Ganta. Is it a serious problem or not? It's ok when it's just her problem but she is making it their problem, especially by not discussing it."

Isaki: "I'll remember this day as the happiest day of my life for as long as I live."

What? How serious is it, really? Ganta, you know some things, ask!
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Eh, they established pretty early on that she was sick when she was young but better now. People took that more seriously than they should've.

Personally, I was pretty disappointed with the final episode. Having a few minutes of recap at the end was a downer.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Normal people: "I'm so happy Isaki is over her existential dread!"
Me: "Isaki's sister thinks the heart problem is still a threat, a problem she still hasn't fully discussed with Ganta. Is it a serious problem or not? It's ok when it's just her problem but she is making it their problem, especially by not discussing it."

But we don't actually know what Isaki's sister thinks since we never hear her inner thoughts. I'm not saying that your thought on that is incorrect, it very well could be the case, but thinking that Isaki's sister was surprised that Isaki even mentioned her health issues to Ganta is still a valid thought as well.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Bait and switch, a shaggy dog story, a Chekov's Gun that never went off, I don't know what happened here. I do feel Isaki as tempting fate in the summer vacation arc right up to her last line of "I'll tell you [I love you OR I have a serious heart condition and I'm not expected to live to 18] when I wake up."

The anime seems like it's hedging its bets with how it wrapped up this episode --- not completely deviating from the manga for a decisive end, but providing a lot more closure on this arc in case it's the only part that gets adapted.

spoiler[The manga has a lot more to say on this topic and how it will affect their relationship going forward.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5