• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:

Speaking from my own experience as as someone in his mid-30s who helps select the programming for a university anime club, the problem you run into is that club membership has been on the decline as the availability of anime through other sources (DVDs, TV, fansubs) increases.

Although I left it out, I meant to touch on it. However, even with a wider availability, there have been numerous people who've reported going to club meetings where they always devoted time to this week's Naruto or Hot Product X.

Strephon wrote:
Once your membership starts looking shaky, it's harder to take chances in programming, and unfortunately our membership hasn't shown much interest in older series as a regular thing. In my case, at least, it's not a matter of not wanting to strive for diversity as being uncertain about how the club would fare if we overdid it.

I can't say that I know the exact layout of your club, but I know it's important to know your audience. If there was something I felt was worth showing, I showed it. Sure, we had people bitch about stuff we showed - I remember a huge revolt over us showing the entire Giant Robo: The Animation - The Night The Earth Stood Still OAV, until near the end when Murasame demonstrates his power. I had people leave because I was very strict about which dubs I showed or I didn't show their favorite anime.

Of course, the times were different - we got a lot of interest from Dragonball Z jumping onto Cartoon Network and Toonami's Gundam Wing boom. Our club exploded, so I could afford to lose members here and there. Today, I am sure the times are different.

Strephon wrote:
(Also, we're not really set up to show from VHS any more, so we're partially constrained by the above-mentioned availability of material in digital formats.)

I know now that when I have group viewings with a bunch of friends, we've always got different arrays of technology - projectors, computers, VHS (since I still have a lot of my collection on aging magnetic tape) and I might even start having to lug my LD player around, too. Of course, these meetings are incredibly infrequent, so a regular club meeting may not be able to afford such luxuries.

Strephon wrote:
I think the "The Golden Age of X is 12" factor is also at work here--that is, the way a medium was when you first really got into it is what you imprint on and subconsciously think it should be like. The first anime I seriously got into as anime was Robotech, so I have an innate comfort with mid-'80s character designs and animation techniques; while I can watch and enjoy older series, it doesn't have the same sense of "rightness" to it. For this reason, I can't entirely blame fans who got into anime in the last decade for not feeling instantly comfortable with series from 20 or 30 years ago. (I can blame those who aren't willing to try them at all, however, but that's not quite the same issue.)

While I would certainly agree with that assertion for some of those gateway series, I really can't say that I, myself, see things in that perspective. I'll gobble up Harlock the same way I'd gobble up Gundam and the same way I'll gobble up ONE PIECE, or some such metaphor. But, to each their own. I do agree, wholly, that people who reject it without some form of research can be blamed and it is a different issue.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well Answerman, Air got licensed. Gee, so much for never, eh?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Well Answerman, Air got licensed. Gee, so much for never, eh?

I never said never. Not once.

I said it had a shot at being licensed if Rumbling Hearts does well.

But maybe that wasn't a factor after all.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Nooooo!!!!! My Rant wasn't good enough. So sad.

Interesting though, Zac said he wouldn't post a rant unless it was good enough. But he broke his own rule first time around! Either his standards are way too high, or we all suck.

Oh well, better luck next time.

dont worry ...i suck too.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Moros wrote:
Nooooo!!!!! My Rant wasn't good enough. So sad.

Interesting though, Zac said he wouldn't post a rant unless it was good enough. But he broke his own rule first time around! Either his standards are way too high, or we all suck.

Oh well, better luck next time.

don't worry ...i suck too.

I didn't actually have time to read every single one that got sent in. So don't assume you've lost.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
usually I post here to make fun of some questions or debate in a non standard manner (not too polite, not too offensive, sarcasm a lot) but for the first time in my life THE RANT has been one of the best ones I read in my life.

The person that wrote the rant pinpointed the exact problem that the older Otakus (or just fans, before otaku was just a fan of anime only) has with the new otakus, anime is cool today, back in the time it wasn't, in the past Anime was a real creative medium which gave the creators more layaway with stories, nowadays (with a few exceptions) anime is too condescending for its audience...too many highschools with panty-showing-bouncing breasts clumsy or super extroverted girls, ninjas and giant robots with no real reason more than repeat the same plots over and over....

I read the previews of the new series coming out and from all of them Im just sticking with 2 or 3 shows that basically are calling my interest now.

The young otakus are often forgetful and are quick to dismiss a title that is not "A 2007 up" release, Current fans dont give a crap that the 70's and 80's were the golden era of anime and many of those titles then are being reworked to salvage some of the current "stale position" of the anime genre.

It was refreshing when ImaginAsian announced cat's eye and Remi the nobody's boy and the most curious thing is many of the best anime titles are not on dvd yet, there are on laserdisk or vhs, I still have my fansub tapes of UTSU NO MIKO and Gokinjo monogatari, also "I'll make a habit out of it"

The stores usually dont carry so much classic stuff but to answer your question of "Why the classics are not being kept" I will quote an important representative of GENEON when I asked him why there are not so many classic titles on the GENEON catalog...

"Because in america the demand of classic anime is low"

Now Europe and Latin america...those are other story...

When I started watching anime, I always tried to get the newest titles possible...10 years later...Im rediscovering the classics...such irony...
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
At the ranter:
Okay, so basicaly...... your upset because they don't stock older series? Things go out of stock, man. Sure you can recomend to someone the older titles... heck, I am defonatly all for that. But you can't expect bookstores to keep stocking them. Alot of them might even be out of print!

Well I know you can ORDER must of those on his list... heck I've ordered a couple for my roommate. Stores have to move the merchandise to make money and if no one is watching Bubblegum Crisis, why stock it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

On the other hand, how many people remember 'Welcome Back, Carter'? It's the times. But I DO wish it wasn't that way--I would really like to see Bubblegum Crisis...

Well I remember "Welcome Back, Kotter" But we Utahns always seem to mess up names somewhere Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

The Flake:

Ug...Its people like that that really kill me. Firstly, people who use Japanese word or prases are just so incredibly lame its not even funny. Even worse though are people like that who go around doing something like that that makes em look like a complete loser, but then they don't get why people make fun of em. Its just like the Naruto Otakin kid from a few weeks ago. If youre gonna be this lame fine, but at least realize that you are a loser and everyone is gonna make fun of you.

It's probably annoying because it's in public and that they're portraying a stereotype
But then again, the same could also be said about people acting all ghetto and gangster.
As well as people acting emo... etc.

True, Its definitely more annoying in public. I still think its kinda stupid even not in public, but at least then others arent forced to hear it so its not really a big deal. BTW the whole ghetto thing and Emos irritate me almost as much as this for the same reasons.

Zac wrote:
I didn't actually have time to read every single one that got sent in. So don't assume you've lost.

Im curious, how many rants do you usually get sent in a week? Or what about questions?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
The ranter will no doubt be happy to find out that at least Gunsmith Cats just got a re-release in an unflipped, double-sized version.

I've been looking for it for a while myself, wondering if it would ever get a re-release, so I was quite thrilled to find the new edition on the racks of my local anime shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I think the flake needs to look up the word "discrimination". People looking at you funny when you're acting dorky doesn't qualify. Having said that, while giving each other anime nicknames and using anime phrases in words is dorky and (at times) annoying, at the end of the day it's pretty harmless. If you want to be a dweeb, don't let me or anyone else stop you. But you may want to avoid doing it around anyone you want to date.

As for the Ranter, I have a feeling once downloading becomes more prevelent, you're going to companies start to post old shows and sell them for cheap. it would be a cost effective way to distribute it as nothing needs to be made, packaged, shipped, or stocked.

I'm not one to say that everything is better "before", but there are great old shows out there (like the original Dirty Pair!). And movies (like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!). And books(like Tolken! And Hemmingway!). And music (like John Bush-era Anthrax!). Enjoy it all!
aluria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Huh, lets see, every bookstore I go to where I live stocks tons of Ranma 1/2, I own both the OAV and the TV series which I obtained from local non specialty stores like Future Shop and also have seen both the anime and manga of Gunsmith Cats around as well.

Personally, I love Bubblegum Crisis and always reccomend it to peeps^^ Both the Original OAV and the TV remake have their good points, haven't really decided yet which one I prefer. Infact, Bubblegum Crisis is one of 3 series I acutally bought the soundtrack to, and its was the Complete Vocal Collection to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MissAsako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
You know, because of girls like those (the flake of the week), people think anime is for the lowest of the losers. Especially at my school- we had these girls last year calling each other, "Hikaru-chan" and "Sakura-chan". They would shout it out in the hallway and sometimes they wore these weird hats (like Di Gi Charat and Fruits Basket ones), ever since them- everyone thinks you are a loser if you like anime.
I still know girls at school this year that are all annoying like that!

HM! Maybe thats why those girls get made fun of! Haha.
They need to wake up
and I can't believe they are graduating. I'm in 8th grade and I'm talking about some 6TH AND 7TH GRADERS!

D:
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
While it's nobody's business if someone and their friends decide to give each other Japanese nicknames, it can hardly be called discrimination; people are going to make fun of you for just about anything in high school. It isn't fair that people make fun of others for the things they enjoy, but, being in high school for four years, the flake should have been prepared for the teasing and the snide remarks and odd stares if they were going to run around calling each other nicknames in a foreign language. If you really want to have fun with it, then don't let the opinions of people you probably don't know or care about bother you.

Personally, I have no problem with people using Wapanese; the only time it does annoy me is when people who use Wapanese begin to believe that they can actually understand Japanese, when in fact, they can't. But the truth is, we use words from other languages all the time in English, so I see no reason why it should be an issue, especially since bad grammar and mispronunciation applies both ways with Engrish and Wapanese. In fact, the only thing that puzzles me about the flake is that they would go about doing something like that and not expect to get teased. Like I said, it's high school, fair or not.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kyuriko"]While it's nobody's business if someone and their friends decide to give each other Japanese nicknames, it can hardly be called discrimination; people are going to make fun of you for just about anything in high school. [ /quote]

You know, this is a dead-on observation. Unless you're one of the few that blossomed past awkwardness and such at 13 or 14 (fun fact: high school is more than likely their peak) or willing to conform on a level that'll have you close to psychotic break by the time you're 18, you're going to be harrassed, teased, and generally abused about something by someone. If you make a show of it and really let you're freak flag fly - good for you! You're braver than most. But don't be so surprised when people look at you sideways.

Happily, life does improve for all us wierdos after high school....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6