• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are they going to argue that, because the convention rules did not explicitly state that wearing only pasties and a fig leaf was completely out of line, they had no right to be given the boot?

Yes, they do. And that is why cosplayers rules get longer and more contentious every year. You ALWAYS have SOMEONE who thinks "this isn't explicitly stated as disallowed, so I can do it". And then you often get one of those people who break something, or make a spectacle, or otherwise cause unwanted attention or hassles from external sources (think: police, venue owners, etc.) which then forces the convention to tell people "you CAN'T do X". Invariably SOMEONE complains because "common sense" should be the standard, and it SHOULD. But after you've had twenty people complain about why they CAN'T do something bad (because they're idiots) when someone else CAN (because they aren't) it is just a million times more simple for the staff to make a blanket rule rather than deal with the excessive arguments from morons.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
miji wrote:
I know that a lot of these kids are packed 5 in a room and someone is going to miss out on the shower over the weekend.

I've been to Fanime 3 years in a row with five of us crammed into a room, but we ALL manage to take showers every day in the morning.

lscoresby wrote:
I wish that I could have seen that "ridiculous Golden Compass display" New Line Cinemas had at Comic Con. I experience giant fangirl squees every time I so much as see a poster for the upcoming movie. (Devoted His Dark Materials fan for the last eight years.) Then again, maybe it's good I didn't see the display. I may have been tempted to pee on it, marking my territory and declaring my love.

I saw it and it was really cool! There was that giant armored polar bear outside (I forget his name), and they had the actual costumes used in the movie, and then you got to go inside and they would take your picture against a green screen and superimpose it over the movie poster instead of Lyra, so the polar bear would be behind you. Oh, and the Alethiometer on display, which looks really awesome.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
/me has contributed eyecatch jokes for fansubs
jetz wrote:
Karaoke in fansubs – cute idea, but when I watch fansubs I don’t really rely on them. That’s cause when I look for the lyrics online and compare it with the lyrics provided by the fansubs, the fansubs are usually wrong.
But are those online lyrics from the official source, or just from someone else with a different idea of the lyrics? Song translation is a tricky beast, thanks to all the Engrish, homophones in Japanese, and hard-to-parse words in songs. And if fansub lyrics are way off base, they usually do get corrected when the single gets released and lyrics become available.

But I'll agree, some fansub songs have been known to be wildly wrong - it's most apparent in series with bizarre, nonsensical songs like Avenger, where you get lines like "time flows only one way, that's for sure" in the fansubs but "A moment lasts for a thousand nights in the capital of evil" on the DVD. And since the lyrics are "toki wa issen'ichiya ma no miyako," I'd be inclined to believe the DVD. (Later fansub episodes corrected the lyrics.)
lscoresby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I saw it and it was really cool! There was that giant armored polar bear outside (I forget his name), and they had the actual costumes used in the movie, and then you got to go inside and they would take your picture against a green screen and superimpose it over the movie poster instead of Lyra, so the polar bear would be behind you. Oh, and the Alethiometer on display, which looks really awesome.

Iorek!

That sounds like an excellent booth for HDM fans. Thanks for the info! Very Happy
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
liloaznangel wrote:
Answerman wrote:
He has frosted tips.

Frosted tips.

I feel enlighted. So that is where the Frostips come from in Obi Frostips I got where the Obi come from, but never Frostips until now...

And on a different note, I went yo badge pickup on Thursday for AnimeNEXT, and the people behind me had such bad B.O! It's so sad because the con hadn't even offically started yet and I had to smell stinkiness already...

Okay, can you explain this to me, I still don't understand? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:

I knew Vic was Christian, but I didn't know he was Republican. I looked at his site and didn't find anything political. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Whatever, this is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thats why America is awesome.

http://www.vicsworld.net/images/graphicdesign/grinch.jpg

For the record, I never said he was Republican, just that he had this sort of thing on his site. That accompanied by the Spider-man font bible quotes kinda makes me think he just might be one, though. It's not too big a leap to make but you never know.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I pronounce Vic Mignogna "hack" or "fangirl bait".
i thought all the fangirls were into Crispin Freeman now.

No, that was a while ago. And he deserved the fandom more than Mignogna has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Didn't NANA get pulled from Shoujo Beat? Which is by the way, is waaaaay too flowery.

Yeah, it has been, but more because they are sticking an M rating on it now and so it couldn't be in the magazine anymore. I'm still not entirely sure what deserves said rating, but I would still say that it's one of the more popular titles under the Shoujo Beat line.

And the magazine is flowery but I think that that's actually rather funny.
lscoresby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
Didn't NANA get pulled from Shoujo Beat? Which is by the way, is waaaaay too flowery.

Yeah, it has been, but more because they are sticking an M rating on it now and so it couldn't be in the magazine anymore. I'm still not entirely sure what deserves said rating, but I would still say that it's one of the more popular titles under the Shoujo Beat line.

And the magazine is flowery but I think that that's actually rather funny.

Volumes of NANA will be released every two months now, which is freaking sweet. I haven't started reading my NANA manga yet (wanted to finish the anime first), but I've heard that there's quite a bit of nudity and sex, and it was more graphic in it's original form than it has appeared in Shojo Beat. Can't really have a bunch of nipples flying around when you aim your product at teenage girls. Now that it has the mature rating, they won't have to do any editing. I think it's fabulous.

I also find the flowery shojo beat amusing. Especially with all its fashion articles. *gag* Very Happy
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh how I wish they would license Monster. Contrary to popular belief there are adults who happen to enjoy anime. I suppose there just aren't enough to make it profitable to release anime of that type. Although, I do have to say, Gankutsuou was released and that is a more mature title. I guess all I can do is hope.

I enjoyed the rant. It is disappointing that the impression most people have of anime lovers is that we are for the most part juvenile, uncouth, ignoramus with no social skills. Oh hey! There are 69 posts before me ... 69 *snort* hehehe. I mean honestly! Some of us are much more mature and capable of conducting ourselves with respect and decorum. Wink
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
To the flake: YOU SUX BALLZZ!!1

What! A flake comment/question deserves a flake answer. Very Happy

Anyway on the AzuDai being seinen. I knew for a little while its considered seinen but moe? Well it does have moe aspects and now I could see why. I just always considered moe more like neon glow hair, bigger eyes and cuter uniforms. Since AzuDai isn't THAT moe could it be more like low moe.

The rant:

Hmmmm.....A con that doesn't say those things smell worst. A con that do smells less. A con that gives out free axe samples is PERFECT! I mean college get 'em all the time. How hard could it be. I agree with cons putting it out there.

Also that radio station doesn't even have a national signal. It can only be heard for about 3 states right. Its not like a few minutes of DJ banter can change the world in that frequency.

Theres really no way to get rid of the all nerd stink sterotype. All we can do as individuals is not be that way. We can't stop peoples opinions either. But those who are more educated can talk. unfortunetly some choose not. thus the flake ones casts a dark light.

feytaline wrote:
... Now the "otherkin" ones... those were 10+--absolutely priceless. Call me close-minded, but I still laugh thinking about them.

Haha...those otakin....so hilarious.

kyokun703 wrote:
miji wrote:
I know that a lot of these kids are packed 5 in a room and someone is going to miss out on the shower over the weekend.
I've been to Fanime 3 years in a row with five of us crammed into a room, but we ALL manage to take showers every day in the morning.

6 at Otakon in my room and we all smelled great! Even though it was a bunch of guys! (except me) Just take your shower at night after the rave. It helps to lower bathroom traffic in the morn. I also wash up a bit in the morn for extra freshness! ( I also have a weird fear of smelling bad Embarassed )

On karoke fansubs: I don't watch much fansubs but when I do i love them. I like how some now put karoke in symbols as well as english and japanese in romanji. Plus my guilty pleasure is singing along. I was just doing that today before work while watching Haruhi Suzumiya on DVD. Sometimes I wish they could do it on DVDs but it'd be too much to do.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
FIRST ONE! woot! I never was. Anywho:

About the moe fandom in Japan read this article:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20070319-000004.html

That's interesting. Nostalgia is certainly a reason I like watching stuff like Haruhi or Azumanga Daioh, but I had not previously associated that with moe. I'm not sure if it's one of those words that expands meanings to encompass things that fit it, or if it's just that I don't understand the term well. I was more or less of the understanding that the protection angle was the main definition of moe, with some other meanings on the fringe. I think I've also got a negative connotation, since it really sounds kind of creepy, but maybe that's my own interpretation of the term? I don't know. It all sounds kind of overanalytical to me, and I'm very often overanalytical.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
It all sounds kind of overanalytical to me, and I'm very often overanalytical.
Psychology is overanalytical. Razz
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Quote:
It's interesting to see that Vic Mignogna is a strong Christian and a Bush supporter.

I never would have guessed; he doesn't sound like that kind of person at all.
What exactly do you mean by this? It sounds like you've fallen into the trap of believing a stereotype.

HeeroTX wrote:
Invariably SOMEONE complains because "common sense" should be the standard, and it SHOULD. But after you've had twenty people complain about why they CAN'T do something bad (because they're idiots) when someone else CAN (because they aren't) it is just a million times more simple for the staff to make a blanket rule rather than deal with the excessive arguments from morons.
Whiny selfish babies, ruining the con experience and making things harder on everyone else. These idiots are making everything in life more difficult and expensive. You'd think we could just smack the morons in the back of the head and send them back to their parents for re-training, but unfortunately, we can't do that. Evil or Very Mad

Also, just for personal curiousity, how the hell do 8 people even fit into a most hotel rooms? I feel cramped in a hotel room with just one other person. Also, don't the hotels have rules against having that many people in a room? (Wouldn't it qualify as some sort of fire hazard?) Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Since when have those shows been marked as seinen? Heck, I've seen sites marking Aria as shoujo.

Although I recognize your knowledge on the topic of seinen anime, I'd have to say that Haruhi and Azumanga are most definitely seinen.

Just because a lot of people in different demographic like them, it doesn't change the fact that they fit a particular mold. Typically, the best of any demographic genre will often attract many fans outside their genre.

For example, a lot of girls watch the best shonen (ie: Fullmetal Alchemist, Inu Yasha).

If not seinen, in which demographic genre would you place Haruhi?

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9