• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 Fansubs and Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
billborden wrote:

While I respect your personal feelings, I have never run into a similar response from my Japanese friends or their families, and I acknowledged that they could be dropped altogether. The problem arises in terms and usages that do not have a good translation due to social differences. Japanese society is linguistically more formal than American society. Few American wives would ever refer to their husbands as Mr. Smith, but a Japanese wife referring to her husband as Asakura-san is not terribly out of place. I'm not necessarily claiming that the Japanese people are more formal, but their linguistic politeness structures are simply more hierarchical than comparative English structures. Because of that, direct translation always sounds at best stilted; at worst, just wrong. If you don't want to leave them unchanged (the format that most manga now published in America use), then simply eliminate them altogether; don't fumble with a poor translation.

Hello, dude? Have you even traveled or even investigate about other cultures besides the U.S. and Japan?

FYI, Spanish language (and in my case, Mexican Spanish) is also as polite as Japanese, and sometimes even more. (Heck, even some Spanish-speaking Japanese friends complain that we Mexicans speak even more polite than many Japanese people in their own language).

Just to get an idea about the politeness of Mexican Spanish, just look the Spanish honorifics, especially how they're use in Mexico:

Señor: Mr.

Señora: Mrs.

Señorita: Miss

Señorito or Joven: Similar to the-sama or goshunjin-sama honorific in Japanese, normally used by butlers or maids from richer Mexican families.

Licenciado or Ingeniero: Used by people with a Universitary degree, if you meet a person with a degree and also have his own office, you MUST ALWAYS used the "licenciado" honorific or you will get in trouble (especially, if you are a foreigner)

Don (male) or Doña (female): Used by married people older by 50 years or more.

Other examples is: It's not the same using "¿Como estas? (How are you?) since is the informal way than saying "¿Como esta usted? (the same thing but in polite language) or even more complex and more polite "¿Como se encuentra usted?" "¿Que tal le va? and other variations.

And another thing: If many Japanese-to-English fansubbers try to be so literal when they're translating Japanese stuff: Why they're rarely bother to do the same with other East Asian languages like Chinese or Korean? (Korean is EVEN more polite than Japanese)
bobsicle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why they're rarely bother to do the same with other East Asian languages like Chinese or Korean?

I can't speak for the Korean language, but the Chinese language is less formal than the Japanese with regards to any sort of linguistic hierarchy. It's more akin to English where a specific title (generally regarding occupation) is used (where appropriate). I'd say there is substantially easier transition when translating Chinese into English than Japanese into English in this regard.

Heck, even Chinese fansubs don't attempt to translate the Japanese honorifics. Razz
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
But I remember that Chinese have more honorifics than Japanese, (well, according with Wikipedia and some books about Chinese language that I readed here in Mexico)
bobsicle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But I remember that Chinese have more honorifics than Japanese, (well, according with Wikipedia and some books about Chinese language that I readed here in Mexico).

The list given on Wikipedia (more than I ever really wanted to know) is hopelessly outdated when compared with contemporary usage. It's also somewhat deceptive with regards to how those "honorifics" are used.

A good portion of them are general adjectives that do not necessarily depend on one's professional or social status.

For example: the "honorific" that could be applied to someone that is more respected than you or holds a more senior position is 老(lao). However that character also has the literal definition of "old." In this case, you would almost always defer the usage of that character to the age definition before social/professional status. Calling someone younger than you 老 would be extremely awkward, even if they were your professional superior.

Not to say this is the only interpretation; there's definitely a little wiggle room with this stuff.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like how they mention that they go after the devices and not the people. Maybe they know if they go after the people, they'll hurt the tiny industry. Good stuff to hear though.

And wow, the FUNi guy said they're making their decision on 1 or 2 episodes of whether or not to license. Real bad practice in my opinion, as shows can either get dramatically better or dramatically worse at any time. Meaning they license anime A when they should have been licensing anime B. Interesting. And having to pre-license before the show even airs in Japan? Talk about ouch, I feel sorry for the companies, because they could easily end up with a piece of crap.
I agree that every single show isn't worth bringing over. They could have a pre-license for a show that's bad in quality and won't draw flies in DVD sales even if the DVD was covered poop. I honestly believe you can't really tell what's going to be popular other than the shonen mega-hits that get on TV.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
bill: The problem with BV is their "bells and whistles" consist of a box and collectibles no one wants.

gatotsu:
Quote:
Okay, what I don't get is this: fansubbers always bring up "Americanization", "censorship", and "editing" of US anime as one of their chief arguments... and yet, maybe this is just me, but I seriously can't recall a single anime to come out in the last 5 years that was not given a fully uncut, bilingual DVD release.

One Piece wasn't given an immediate uncut, bilingual, release until last year, and is a prime example of what they're referring to, I imagine. Though I guess you could also include the leftover titles at 4Kids.

Xanas: Shin Chan isn't technically censored as much as padded with more dirty jokes. The main story is still the same in each ep.
billborden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Hello, dude? Have you even traveled or even investigate about other cultures besides the U.S. and Japan?

I'm going to ignore most of the flame bait here and just mention a few things--my background extends into both linguistics and semiotics, I have a deep knowledge of Latin, old and middle English, and a passing knowledge of French and German. Actually I never directly touched Spanish; it's not a language I needed. I admit my Japanese is weak--that's why I rely on native speakers whenever possible.

Even more to the point here, We were not discussing Spanish, or, for that matter Korean or Chinese. I was making a direct comparison between English and Japanese, the languages we were talking about. To be honest, I really couldn't discuss Korean or Chinese, as I only have the barest understanding of their specific structures.
billborden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
bill: The problem with BV is their "bells and whistles" consist of a box and collectibles no one wants.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. My only hope is for a reasonably priced box-set coming out later or rich friends Wink
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like how they mention that they go after the devices and not the people. Maybe they know if they go after the people, they'll hurt the tiny industry. Good stuff to hear though.

And wow, the FUNi guy said they're making their decision on 1 or 2 episodes of whether or not to license. Real bad practice in my opinion, as shows can either get dramatically better or dramatically worse at any time. Meaning they license anime A when they should have been licensing anime B. Interesting. And having to pre-license before the show even airs in Japan? Talk about ouch, I feel sorry for the companies, because they could easily end up with a piece of crap.
I agree that every single show isn't worth bringing over. They could have a pre-license for a show that's bad in quality and won't draw flies in DVD sales even if the DVD was covered poop. I honestly believe you can't really tell what's going to be popular other than the shonen mega-hits that get on TV.
It probably should be fleshed out more that they were just talking about how early in the process they need to make decisions. If there is interest in the show, they can get access to other materials from the various companies to see if they really want to jump in. They can reference the original manga, various production materials, japanese fandom, sales numbers for the US manga, etc.

Also, the companies know very well what sells: Boobs, blood, samurai, ninjas, etc. and what doesn't sell: Moe, slice of life, old shows, etc. It isn't rocket science just to figure out what people will and will not buy.
crilix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
billborden wrote:
On the opposite side of the spectrum, you have Bandai releasing "Sola", sub-only, with a couple 'cool' extras at a 49.99 SRP for THREE episodes. As much as I like this show, it's never making it into my house at that price; hell, the entire "Haruhi" box set is only 59.98 SRP. The distributors that realize that the bulk of American fandom want quality at an affordable price, rather than bells and whistles at a grossly inflated price will win this particular race.
Aren't you refering to Bandai Visual? The same Bandai that's now being liquidated and its assets moved under Bandai Entertainment Inc.? That sola release has been "delayed." But just to say something relevant here, at Otakon someone asked Bandai Ent. on their panel if continuing limited edition versions (alongside regular edition versions) is a good idea, and they responded it's good business. Just to keep in mind that "affordable price" is an arbitrary term.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
When BD players reach the sub-$100 mark and BD disc reach the sub-$15 mark, then it will be popular. Until then, dream on. The largest core set of current anime fans are under 21 and live on an allowance and do not buy their own AV equipment. They are the ones that absolutely will not pay for anime and download and view the most anime.

I think that anime production companies need to (1) keep the original titles of the anime that they produce, (2) put out subbed versions before doing dubs, or released them both extremely quickly - I am not going to remember 2 to 5 years after a show has aired who got the rights for it and to look for it on a US DVD - I will have purchased the R2 versions by then, (3) put out subbed digital files that you can toggle the subs on and off - there are times when I want to watch it sans subs to see the animation more.

Anyways, overall a very positive forum. The future looks good.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
I am typing this reply via phone so I apologize if it's sloppy.

Though it's not mentioned here, (I have not seen the video but I don't notice it in replies) I personally enjoy the karoke subs. That's one aspect of DVDs that doesn't appeal to me. I love the openings and endings with romaji and English.

I also like the different colors depending on who's speaking or the battle move being done. As much as I love those they don't hinder my ablity to buy, but I do wish companies would look into them.

While I'm on the subject, I have yet to replace my Naruto boots with legit ones. Are the subs in the show as tiny as the ones in the opening? On tv? I have a pretty good tv setup, but I can barely read the pale yellow font, compared to DB's bigger brighter subs.

I am in no way a sub only person but when it comes to naruto, one piece and bleach I can't watch them in Eng. The only viz boxset I own is Ranma 1/2 and I don't remember being pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:

No the market doesn't care, but that also doesn't mean the companies will have to go so low such that the market starts to care and operate at loss - economics DOES dictate that it goes both ways, too.

I thought it interesting that the guy from Media Blasters was adamant on the point that download or streaming will never cover the costs on its own, regardless. He seemed pessimistic at best, though they seem confident in their niche business model. From that, it appears the current numbers don't work out at any reasonable price, and producers should only expect a bit of supplemental income from online. Unless merchandising were to take off here, DVD sales will still count for the majority of profits. I agree with the point earlier that there are "viewers" and "collectors". The viewers can be brought to contribute via paying online, and the collectors pay the same or more for DVDs. The days of preventing people from watching anime until R1 DVDs are produced are gone, period, and never to return.

I still think that to get any sizeable percentage of viewers to pay, the price will have to be lower (maybe a subscription model like cable TV) and quality equal to fansubs. The point made about having to pay per episode at all shows the challenge of online distribution, and we aren't even talking TV quality. It's up to the industry to figure out how to make money on it. Yes, conditions may make it impossible right now, but if you're old like me, you recall paying $1.00 per minute for long distance calls to 50 miles away. Things change. For instance, if the Japanese could monetize even 50% of the global market, seems to me they could make a profit. There is or will be a way to do that, if everyone decides they are willing.

Or they aren't... and uh, General Motors shrinks, causing economic devastation for whole regions because of unwillingness to change to address new challenges.

I love the Chinese proverb that the Crunchyroll guy quoted: "When the winds of change begin to blow, some people build shelters, and some build windmills. " Let's dream lots of windmills.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Americanization was a minor issue in my arguement, but since that seems to be the focus at the moment that's what I'll address. Many comedies in Japan use puns based on the language or use of Kanji quite regularly, and often when these are translated into english the pun is removed completely and the comedy is removed as well. There are also many circumstances where shows are very heavily Japanese, and have lots of elements of history and religion and other, such as Rental Magica. Often the fansubbers for these series will add notations in order to fully explain the historical, religious or cultural referances, and sometimes even add note pages before or after the show as well. 9/10 times when these shows are brought over the US companies do not do the same, and so a lot of the culture shown in the episodes is lost because they dumb it down or ignore them altogether.

Regardless, my main issue is the continued lack of support in the outside of Japan market for non-collectors. Inside of Japan non-collectors can get the TV channels they wish, and watch the anime or even tape and collect it directly off TV if they wish. Outside of Japan our ONLY option that seems to be available is DVD. Yes, the same issue is there if you want to watch shows from other countries (outside of England usually that you often can get in the US) but no other country outside of the US creates the same volume of shows. Because of the amount produced it's often very hard to know which shows are good and which shows are crap, because reviewers often have different tastes so you can't always rely on that.

Many companies are moving towards this already, but until more take into consideration the non-collector customer, and provide them with a reasonable and cost-efficient way to watch the show once and then delete it (or stream it or watch it via a TV channel), those customers will often instead simply choose to use fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
Americanization was a minor issue in my arguement, but since that seems to be the focus at the moment that's what I'll address. Many comedies in Japan use puns based on the language or use of Kanji quite regularly, and often when these are translated into english the pun is removed completely and the comedy is removed as well. There are also many circumstances where shows are very heavily Japanese, and have lots of elements of history and religion and other, such as Rental Magica. Often the fansubbers for these series will add notations in order to fully explain the historical, religious or cultural referances, and sometimes even add note pages before or after the show as well. 9/10 times when these shows are brought over the US companies do not do the same, and so a lot of the culture shown in the episodes is lost because they dumb it down or ignore them altogether.

The same thing happens here with American movies, especially those movies that uses too many American-specific jokes and references in the same way that Japanese stuff does. (You should watch some movies that uses too many American humor like Undercover Brother who relies too much about jokes and stereotypes about Black and White people in the U.S., especially many obscure references like Black people and fried chicken and stuff, many of those references are difficult to translate outside the U.S., even in subbed versions of that movie)

The point is, in the case of American movies, is rarely used and frowned on the use of worthless notations here in Mexico in official subbed versions, since you should try to find yourself that info, instead of cluttering the screen with that info, and maybe the anime fans should do the same, instead of asking anime companies to do the same thing that fansubbers do just to "educate" the audience, even if the audience doesn't give a damn about that topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9