• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Parse Error, I don't think you quite understand. Not a segway. Not some horrible and monstrous thing with two giant counter-rotating fans that can't go very fast. A freaking hoverbike. One that can go across water just as easily as across land. If I had a working hoverbike right now, I wouldn't have it in a week's time. What I would have is an eight-figure sum* sitting in my bank account.

Hoverbikes like the one in the show would be extremely practical. Perfect for getting across minefields or even just muddy ground that would impede progress. Useful for zipping across bodies of water such as lakes, harbours and rivers. Will still work even if an area has been flooded, making it perfect for rescue or just normal transport in such situations. Very practical in extreme climates both hot and cold - you don't have to worry about falling through ice or getting bogged down in a snowdrift or a sand dune. Great for some adventure sports, and can be used as a racing vehicle. Plus the hover technology could possibly be applied to cars, drones, platforms; it would be truly revolutionary.

You dare to call a working hoverbike a "geeky novelty item"? Wow. Just wow. No doubt if we were back in the seventies then you would claim that personal PCs are just geeky novelty items and that they'll never catch on. Or if we were back in the early twentieth century you would have claimed that planes were unnecessary because we already had horses and cars.

And that would be just the down-payment.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
I call him Fencu-chan, because we're tight, like bros. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
In addition to what's been said, one of the most compelling benefits of hover technology would be substantial reduction, if not elimination of maintenance costs for public roadways.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Like I said, you called the show "worthless" having watched only one episode, when you're the first to say people are stupid for judging episodes based on previews or first episodes

Oh god, having to explain a joke is so lame.

Protip: I was baiting dtm. I actually don't give a damn about the show other than that it produces stupidly cute yuri fanart.

Protip: trolling and baiting users is against the rules. You're on thin ice as is, I recommend you stop jumping on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
im guessing that Gramps saw something that no one else did when his kid and grandkid were in danger. once they were ok, he probably started trying to warn people, no one believed him, labeled him a crackpot, shunned him from the scientific community and decided to ignore anything he might have created afterwards. wouldnt it be hard to sell something if everyone thinks you are not right in the head? and who cares about a stupid hoverbike when you've got a tilt rotor running on clean energy.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Parse Error, I don't think you quite understand.

No, I understand very well, you're just drastically overestimating its potential appeal.

dtm42 wrote:
Perfect for getting across minefields or even just muddy ground that would impede progress. Useful for zipping across bodies of water such as lakes, harbours and rivers. Will still work even if an area has been flooded, making it perfect for rescue or just normal transport in such situations.

Existing hovercraft designs already have such benefits, so why do people still drive regular old cars? It's quite simple really; where people have enough money to afford one, there's little need to drive across minefields or rivers on a regular basis, thus there's no actual benefit to offset the additional expense and other issues.

As for a compact hoverbike identical to the one shown, what about passengers, or cargo? Would an older or overweight person even be able to control this thing? How safe would it be - what happens when something malfunctions and you suddenly come to the ground at ninety miles an hour? It's like taking everything bad about a motorcycle and making them all ten times worse, while gaining nothing truly useful unless you're traveling through the Australian Outback or somewhere similar.

dtm42 wrote:
No doubt if we were back in the seventies then you would claim that personal PCs are just geeky novelty items and that they'll never catch on.

I was around early enough to be into computers before they became popular among the mainstream, but I never doubted they would, and for good reason. My reasons for believing most people would regard this as a dangerous toy outside of limited applications are every bit as sound, if not moreso.

The uses you're thinking of are things most people in the developed world simply have no need of. At the same time, you're completely ignoring all the drawbacks that would make it unattractive to anyone who wouldn't be doing such things every day, save for some wealthy technophiles.

Of course, none of this means that you're absolutely, positively wrong, because there's no way for either of us to be certain until something exactly like the device in the show is invented, which probably won't be in our lifetimes. However, I think you are making this out to be something far more implausible than it actually is. When it comes to adopting new technologies, people are pragmatic at best, and sometimes downright stubborn and resistant even to gainful advances. Also, as I mentioned before, his previous experience alone gives him sufficient reason for being reluctant to share his inventions with the rest of the world.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

I believe egoist coined the term "Fecesdude" Laughing
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
That is very mean, and I certainly would not laugh uncontrollably at that, like a little child.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
when read in context, it was actually pretty funny
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
That explains a lot. Laughing
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The image for this preview looks suspiciously similar to K-ON.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Well, after the fantastic year in TV anime that was 2012, I'm a little relieved to see nothing here that screams out "must watch" to me. I only just finished "Hyouka" and am still way behind on "Space Brothers" and the reruns of "Hyouge-mono" I've been recording, so this season should be a good chance to catch up on stuff I've been wanting to get around to.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
So this last week I watched both the 2nd episode of Maoyu (yes, despite my misgivings about the dumb fanservice in ep.01, subsequent commentary prompted me to give it another go) and the first 2 eps. of Cuticle Detective Inaba... and to be honest, though the overt fanservice in Maoyu was definitely toned down (except for that scene where she falls back on the bed-- sorry folks, but her giant boobs should be falling into her armpits at that moment), the giant WTF?! of the latter show was still somehow more interesting to me. Maybe because it's not pretending to be any more profound than it really is...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
So this last week I watched both the 2nd episode of Maoyu (yes, despite my misgivings about the dumb fanservice in ep.01, subsequent commentary prompted me to give it another go) and the first 2 eps. of Cuticle Detective Inaba... and to be honest, though the overt fanservice in Maoyu was definitely toned down (except for that scene where she falls back on the bed-- sorry folks, but her giant boobs should be falling into her armpits at that moment), the giant WTF?! of the latter show was still somehow more interesting to me. Maybe because it's not pretending to be any more profound than it really is...

All the usual complaints aside, Maoyu has some serious pacing problems. I get that they are explaining economics, but since I took those classes a long time ago, I just end up feeling bored.

Inaba's second episode was an improvement on the first, not nearly as hyper and there were a few good laughs this time around.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Seems like they're pulling the old 'Flashman Gambit' with 'The Unlimited - Hyōbu Kyōsuke'. Sounds promising.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 49