• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Instead of locking him up, most likely to just escape again, why not execute All For One? With All Might now out of power, they don't have anyone to stop him if he gets out, and they know he has a dedicated group who will stop at nothing to free him. He himself may even be able to break out given how strong he is.

If you meant to say "Why All Might did not kill AfO (in cold blood) when he had the chance", that is a bridge you do not want to cross, once your heroes start killing any villain they deem to be troublesome, it will not be long until they become self serving individuals (like when Tenya Iida was fighting Stein) themselves and worst of all, you can no longer be a symbol of peace but one of revenge that will inspire other "heroes" to do the same and it is matter of time until they deem that "the rule of law" gets in the way of their new ideals and overthrow the government (see the Justice Lords story arc in Justice League TAS to see how that would pan out)..

If you mean to say that the judicial system should give AfO the death sentence, they might, but it will take time (years) and asking them to execute him "without judges or court cases" is another bridge you do not want to cross, fascism is on the other side.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Instead of locking him up, most likely to just escape again, why not execute All For One? With All Might now out of power, they don't have anyone to stop him if he gets out, and they know he has a dedicated group who will stop at nothing to free him. He himself may even be able to break out given how strong he is.

Well since MHA is more or less our modern world with superpowers in it, why would the justice system work any differently. Would Japan give the death penalty?

I think japan still has the deathpenalty, tho.

You are correct. But even if, you don't just execute someone without a proper judging. Modern Justice is a long and hard process.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason why the community score dropped from a 4.5 to a 3.5 in under an hour?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Tirol Choco wrote:
Is there a reason why the community score dropped from a 4.5 to a 3.5 in under an hour?

People realised Bakugo was using a Bleach shirt and had a PTSD attack.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Tirol Choco wrote:

Not just in an hour lol. One min I looked ot was at 4.5 and a minute later it was at 3.4.

A bug maybe?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
^Something this quick and large seems like it could be foul play, especially with the significant difference between the reviewer score and apparent viewer average without any criticisms of the episode. Wouldn't be the first time, but we won't be able to tell until the rankings come out, barring word from staff with a better insight into the numbers.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Tirol Choco wrote:

Yeah, it certainly seemed bizarre, especially given how both critics and viewers alike across the internet have all had universal praise for this episode and how it handled the transitional phase after the "big fight" episode.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Do you have any examples in mind? Nothing has really stuck out to me, but I may have just been oblivious.

I do, but judging by your response and the ones I've gotten from other native speakers, I'd say there's nothing wrong with the translation. My English just needs a little bit of work Razz

Thanks for answering!
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Hell, I didn't even mention Bakugo's foxy mom.)

There it is. I was waiting for a comment on Bakugou’s mom.

It’s a shame that Funimation went back to the 2-episode delay for their Simuldub, but I was happy they lasted as long as they did like with Season 2.

I really want to give props to Deku’s mom. Honestly it’s rare to see a parent be concerned (or any parent be there at all) of their shounen protagonist’s well being. And it isn’t like her worries are based on nothing, it’s been building up over time. The poor lady needs a vacation.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
And it dropped again.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Probably someone with an ax to grind wrote a script to downvote the show or some such.

DigitalScratch wrote:
I really want to give props to Deku’s mom. Honestly it’s rare to see a parent be concerned (or any parent be there at all) of their shounen protagonist’s well being. And it isn’t like her worries are based on nothing, it’s been building up over time. The poor lady needs a vacation.

Absolutely this! I've been super impressed with how BNHA has handled the existence of parents, which is typically a phenomenon so mysterious and exotic that anime struggles to summon the mana & cryptic runes necessary to deal with even a single parent, half a varied cast of many, with many of them downright supportive and pretty much all of them well written.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
I do, but judging by your response and the ones I've gotten from other native speakers, I'd say there's nothing wrong with the translation. My English just needs a little bit of work Razz

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The series translator is actually a really good friend of mine.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

Well since MHA is more or less our modern world with superpowers in it, why would the justice system work any differently. Would Japan give the death penalty?

I think japan still has the deathpenalty, tho.

Japan definitely has the death penalty; they hang people. It's only for murder and mostly for multiple murderers, and polls generally show it has 80% support in Japan. (That said, the death penalty had strong support in polls in most European countries when abolished.)

OfA would definitely receive the death penalty in modern Japan, but he could stretch out his time on death row by appealing, as most prisoners do there, spending at least 5 years on death row.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:

Thanks for answering!

I find the translation to be particularly good, but it's quite possible that that's correlated with your confusion. I think that the translation is very idiomatic and natural spoken (generally American) English, which may conversely cause additional confusion for non-native speakers.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
My favorite room was Kaminari's, which was called out appropriately for being this amazingly kitschy collection of stereotypical dorm room decorations with no unifying theme. Record player, license plates, dart board, shelving storage unit, skateboard, etc. It's normal, but sort of tryhard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 81