• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Cartoons or Japanese Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
American Cartoons or Japanese Anime?

Among all the animiated features that I had seen, more than 90% were Anime.

Why? Persernal preference.

First of all I don't like North American jokes so all those , WB's , Simpsons, South Park or Futurewhatever are the stuffs that I don't touch.

Second, I don't like the American super heroes cartoons - no idea why most of the super heroes in America love to wear colorful diaper look alike outfit.

Third, I don't like the Disney's cartoons either - I am not interested in the singing and dancing elements in most of the Disney's production. I had lost my interest in those Disney's fairy tales long long time ago.

Finally, I find more diversity in Anime than American cartoon. In the realm of Anime, I can find family friendly stuffs like Totoro, Whisper of the heart and Dog of Flanders etc. I can also find philosophical stuffs like Lain and Ghost in the Shell. There are also unusual stuffs like Haibane-Renmei and Tokyo Godfather for me to choose. Anyway, Anime covers the areas of Kids stuffs, Family Features, Suspense, SiFi, Fantasy, Comedy, Tragedy, Sports, Food, Martial Arts, all sorts of Violence and Sex etc etc. Too many areas to list. Anime is just a whole live action movie industry in an animated form.

Up until now, the only American animated feature that has finally impressed me is the recent 3D animation 'The Incredibles'. Actually, I am only impressed by the talent of the animators who give those convincing 3D human animation. However, the story of this film is not that interesting to me.
soujiokita

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch tv in the morning anymore, I only watch tv in the evening and at night. If I had to choose, I'd watch whatever's on.
Abarekiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Anime or classic cartoons like The old GI JOE, Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Spider-man the animated series, X-men the animated series, Mummies Alive, Street Sharks, Swat Kats, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, or any other cartoon that came before the classical cartoon period was over in America Aka 1980s to 1990s. >< Most 2000s cartoons in America are crap with the Exception of Megas, the simpsons, Family Guy, The brak show, and some others on adult swim. And whenever I hear the word Kids Next Door I have the urge to throw up alot of times.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
I want to ask you the question, if you where to sit down on saturday morning and watch cartoons, what would you pic... would you want to watch American cartoons or Japanese anime? Here is the difference, American cartoons, lets use Road Runner for example, it is totaly repetative, tried and tested funny gags. You can easily sit down and get right into road runner, and for that matter most other Amarican cartoons.
I agree. But TV doesn't always show anime, so now that I'm into anime, I don't really care for American cartoons. Fosters Home for Imaginery Friends was all right, but I still don't really have an interest.
EDIT: I don't know why I put that least sentence in there. *deletes*

Last edited by .Sy on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jagozon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
American or Japanese.............
I would say anime,I've liked anime before i even knew what anime was.Since i was little all my favorite shows were anime.I like american cartoons,but you sit down for 30mins and watch a random buntch of nothingness.Not that i dont like that,(Famly Guy the funniest show on the planet)but you dont learn anything,get excited,cry,or go through any emotion,like you can in anime.
So ,i would pick anime over any american cartoon.
Drac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
From a Saturday morning stand point I'd say American cartoons because they sure has hell won't let Japanese anime get away with some of the content it contains. I’ve watched a certain edited show and that was enough to make me gag.

Outside of a young kids programming block I wouldn’t prefer one over the other since I firmly believe that every thing has more important merits in which to judge it upon then what country it comes from.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm a night person, so watching Saturday morning cartoons would go against my code.

Most of what I choose to watch is anime, although I watch cartoons such as Family Guy, Futurama, and Adult Swim's own Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Venture Brothers, Robot Chicken, and Harvey Birdman.

Although I just watch whatever is airing on Adult Swim, some of their series don't do it for me at all. I could never get into Tom Goes to the Mayor, and I didn't like what I saw of 12 Ounce Mouse. Squidbillies isn't impressing me from what I've seen in previews, either.

On those occassions when I could watch cartoons before 11:00pm, I would see Samurai Jack and The Powerpuff Girls (who have been transformed into anime from what I gather).

If I had more time, I would watch some of the older American cartoons along with other recent vintage Japanese anime.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
I want to ask you the question, if you where to sit down on saturday morning and watch cartoons, what would you pic... would you want to watch American cartoons or Japanese anime? Here is the difference, American cartoons, lets use Road Runner for example, it is totaly repetative, tried and tested funny gags. You can easily sit down and get right into road runner, and for that matter most other Amarican cartoons.

Now for Japanese anime, you have to realy get into the story for it to be funny, sad, dramatic, action pacted, ect... but if you are into the perticular series it can be far more rewarding to watch an eppisode of... oh... FMA, then it can be to watch Road Runner. But like I said you have to be into it, just sitting down and watching the end of FMA means nothing if you don't know the story behind it.

I go back to the American cartoons. The show Justice League (can't spell Razz ) is a show that you can get into and follow even if its the first time you have watched the show, but its also a show that you can follow the series and become enthraled in. But this is how most American cartoons are designed whilst anime is a thing that you have to see from the start to get anything out of, usully it doesnt have any messages or deep seated meaning in one eppisode but a few eppisodes or an entire series might teach you something, American cartoons have the meaning in each eppisode because Americans loose focas fast and they want to get to the point quickly, also another resion why anime will never become as popular as surviovor or fear factor.

Tell me what you think...

Fear Factor? Survivor? How can you compare anime to reality crap like that?

The only American cartoon I can watch is Family Guy. That show is hilarious. I find everything else to be mindless garbage, especially Looney Toons. I really don't understand how anyone besides little kids can enjoy that stuff. And don't even get me started on Nickelodeon (ugh).
The Future-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, it all depends on personal preference.

Personally, they are all good fun and they all have their redeeming qualities, their pros and cons.

I've found most American cartoons now-a-days to be so menial and mind-numbing I can't even stand it (of course, many bad anime are also like this, but that's another story Razz )

(The old stuff, old-school Looney Tunes and classic stuff is great, because it has such nostalgic value and is good simple fun. A lot of Disney movies are also well-worth watching, espcially the Lion King and Alladin and others)

I can't stand anything involing superheroes (again that's just my personal preference). It's just, the annoying costumes, ridiculous machismo and unwarrated bravado and need to puff your chest (figuratively speaking); the cookie-cutter (ha ha! I'm going to destroy you!) villains, and the often one-dimensional plots. They just rub me the wrong way, IMO.

Aisde from that, I laugh more readily to an American made comedy series, considering that my sense of humor is more in tune to that of which Americans find funny (most of it is rather crude humor, but it's still pretty funny regardless). Series such as Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Megas XLR, etc...

I also like Samurai Jack, though that isn't a comedy.

As for anime, I do prefer anime *in general* Obviously there's a lot of anime series that are pure drivel and not worth watching, but the truly good anime series are beyond anything I have seen.

I personally like originality and seeing things I haven't seen: anime, being from another country, is fresher than things that I've been seeing for years upon years. Obviously I'll watch anime for ten years and it'll start getting old.

But I just, in general, prefer anime and it has nothing to do with where it comes from, its how fresh it is to me and how interesting it is (to me)

That being said, I appreciate that different people prefer different things. That's their prerogative, and it's fine by me.

That's my three cents...yes, that's one extra Razz
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I have no real preference, I like animation and give it a shot equally regardless of which geographic location it came from. Geography does not equal talent, but society can impact quality.

That said, the majority of what I prefer is anime. Why? I assure you it's not because I'm a fanatic anime fan with a god complex or I believe only the japanese can create anything of quality. The reason is simply that Japan produces easily 20+ times as much animation as anyone else so obviously you're going to get a larger share of quality and a larger share of junk through a simple understanding of ratio's.

Now, that's not the only factor of course, as society also plays a role. In Japan they're simply more willing to look into a broader scope of genre's and story with their animation as opposed to America where most people see animation as kids only so of course the bulk of it is catered to them. Also add on that in America most animation is done for the television and the FCC is simply overly strict as to what can be shown on television. There's plenty of American animation I love though, mostly movies though, and some cartoons from the 90's or earlier.

So I simply don't prefer one or the other, I just like animation, and though the majority of what I own is anime I will base my preferences of shows on an individual basis rather then grouped as a genre. One of my favorite shows was Animaniacs, kinda irritates me that Warner Bros. has still not released a collection of any type that I can purchase. Also love the Simpsons and Family Guy. I've liked most of Disney's theatrical releases the past 5 or so years and some from before then, and Pixar's works and so on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
petran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
while browsing through the forums I came across this topic.

To be honest I too dont bother what kind of animation film to watch, as long as it is enjoyable, deep and full of quality.

Whether from America, Europe or Asia.

But when it comes to animation films with good stories and abstraction except the Japanese there are also many European movies that are underrated or not much known. I saw recently the French animation film ''Porto Maltese'' and was impressed by it. Add also older titles like ''The King and the Bird''.
Also animation from Eastern Europe, both post- and ante-Soviet era is extremely underrated and unkknown but there are many gems to be found there. Especially if you look for puppet animation ,that of the former Czechoslovakia is considered the best in the world.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a night time person when it comes to seeing TV.but
when i see saturday morning cartoons(mostly Kids WB)i see only
2 shows,Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!.so i prefur Japanese anime over american cartoons.(i'm still a fan of bugs bunny)
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
A-m-e-r-i-c-a, A-m-e-r-i-c-a, Gods blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! It's not my fault I don't know the song. My school stops singing it once you enter 2nd grade. Anyway, that tells you all you need to know.
ff knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I prefer (i hope i spelled that right) anime over american reasons. 1 american cartoons are usally for kids anime is for all ages. 2 american cartoons are usally are about humor anime can have all romance,action,horror,comedy,drama,fastansy,and scfi. 3 most of america's cartoons dont have leading on ep most just start as a different aventure or nothing to do with the last ep. so i prefer anime over american cartoons oh and anime has better graphics done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6