• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeMusicVideos.Org Served with Cease & Desist Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:13 am Reply with quote
[quote="xstylus"][quote="Coderjoe"]
sycomonkey wrote:

Don't get me wrong folks, I love AMVs. I make a few myself on rare occassion (watch "Total Waste of 6min 35sec" someday). But I'm sick of all you people thinking that you've got an exclusive right or privledge. This may be the first time that AMVs have fallen under music company's radars, but it's been a giant blip on the Anime company's radars, and you should be kissing some massive ass for them ALLOWING you do do this even though it severely weakens their copyright.

This is not the first time AMV website has been closed up. I can't give you a specific point in time or even teh website url but before I found AMV.org or maybe even before it ever existed there was a website that had about 8 AMVs' and was closed down due to the copyright.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
you are twisting my words there <.<

i'm talking about content, not workplace regulations or wages. Products, not employees x_x please don't twist my words like that.

to me this is like a kleenex box company suing homeless people (or whoever) for making shoes out of their boxes because they are reusing it without their permission.
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
you are twisting my words there <.<

i'm talking about content, not workplace regulations or wages. Products, not employees x_x please don't twist my words like that.

to me this is like a kleenex box company suing homeless people (or whoever) for making shoes out of their boxes because they are reusing it without their permission.

But noones getting sued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:

Not quite, it's more like the kleenex company telling a group of homeless people to stop duplicating their kleenex boxes to use as shoes.

No lawsuit happenned, duplication without permission (each download is a duplication), and artistic license are all issues.

The CD company wouldn't sue AMV makers if they used the CD jewel cases for a different purpose.

Your analogy is completely and utterly off base.

-t
DragonZero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that if you look up 'Amy Lee' (she's the lead singer from Evanescence) the videos are still available (as long as Seether or Evanescence isn't part of the title).
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DragonZero wrote:
Anyone else notice that if you look up 'Amy Lee' (she's the lead singer from Evanescence) the videos are still available (as long as Seether or Evanescence isn't part of the title).

Well, wonder if the people or person knows that?If he doesn't he should be informed and if he does then I wonder why it's left on...is it he same songs the band Evanescence play or just stuff Amy Lee does?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm guessing some of the administrators forgot to count the videos that can't spell Evanescense correctly. I doubt I even spelt it right just now. Not to mention the videos being played by that band called "Cread."
DragonZero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
DragonZero wrote:

Well, wonder if the people or person knows that?If he doesn't he should be informed and if he does then I wonder why it's left on...is it he same songs the band Evanescence play or just stuff Amy Lee does?
Well from what I've seen it's mostly the stuff she did with the band Seether so that would be part of the copyright. Although she has done some songs under the name Amy Lee or Evanescence that are not owned (?) by WindUp records and that she and former co-owner band member of the group Evanescence declared legal for fans to download, seeing as they don't produce or make money off the songs anymore. So anything not from their album 'Fallen', 'Anywhere But Home', from Seether's album, or the new Evanescence album (whenever that comes out) is legal for AMV's. However, some of the singles from the CD's released by WindUp are debatable. Everything else is not. Now here is a question, all the legal AMV songs are mostly under the name Evanescence, so I'm sure that AMV.org took some AMV's that were legal off.
wparasyte

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:

Anyway, this opens the door to creations of Anime Classical Music Videos, or Anime Jazz Music Videos- music that has true soul and meaning, and whose fame has lasted years, decades, even centuries.

Sorry - any music on a CD or cassette is copyrighted no matter what, unless everyone involved in making it has released their copyright. Even for a classical recording, there's dozens of copyrights involved. First there's the person who scored and arranged the music - adapting it to a modern symphony creates a new copyright. Then there's the performers, each of whom owns the copyright to their bit of it. And on down the chain, to the mastering engineers who produce the final mix on the disc.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Yeah, I'm guessing some of the administrators forgot to count the videos that can't spell Evanescense correctly. I doubt I even spelt it right just now. Not to mention the videos being played by that band called "Cread."

I heard AMVs are usually made with bands called Linkun Pork and Skipknat
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

No lawsuit happenned, duplication without permission (each download is a duplication), and artistic license are all issues.

Not to mention distribution and possibly creation of a derivative work.
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:58 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Ignorance is bliss I guess.
m3g4t0ky0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Mmm, that Linkun Pork is some good eatin'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragoon130

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
I think this is a load of bull. After I read this I went and serched all 3 bands and still got the same number of amv's that I got in august. If it did happen AMV.org put them back up as soon as the record lable pricks were happy. Anyway them demanding it is technically against the law considering the fact the amv it's self is owned by the maker the song just happens to be included. it would be like some record lable saying that they don't want the songs in a movie cause they aint getting paid. so by law they had no right to say it was wrong. Or so Says my textbook

Last edited by dragoon130 on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragoon130

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Oh and now AMV.org has this message when downloading AMVs:

THIS VIDEO IS PURELY FAN-MADE AND IS IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED WITH THE MUSICAL ARTIST OR ANIME COMPANY IN ANY WAY.

Diclamer I think that may be why the songs aren't gone[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8