• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara Projected to Win 4th Term

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
It shouldn't have been built there. You lost this argument, because the tsunami occurred there and created a catastrophe. So obviously a mistake was made. If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line. The fact people would defend this just amazes me, and the only defense is to start calling people hippies for something that went horrendously wrong. You may as well be arguing in favor of the citizens of Pompei to build their city next to the volano.
No. The plant was fine where it was. It should have been built BETTER. If the wall had been even a meter higher, the tsunami wouldn't have gotten to the generators and there would have been no nuclear disaster. The problem wasn't building it on a coast, it was the problem of the fail safe sea wall not being high enough by less than a meter. That's all that cause the problem of one plant in a country full of them in the middle of their biggest earthquake ever, one of the five biggest ever recorded. Only one plant was damaged and, again, that was only due to the tsunami being less than a meter over what was expected.

Never mind the plant was an older model. Any new power plants will learn from this mistake and they will get better. It's called science and progress. Who needs anti-evolution religious nuts to hold them behind, when we have the anti-science of the anti-nuclear power hippies. Seriously, people who rave about how bad nuclear power is are mostly irrational in their fear mongering.

So don't go Monday Morning Quarterbacking saying that the whole energy stagegy of a nation is wrong just because you think no one should build nuclear plants in Japan. With that arrogance you might as well just say all of Japan is stupid for living in such a earthquake prone area period. Are the poor people who died in the tsunami stupid for living in an area prone to such dangers? That line of thought is just ludicrous. Who the hell are you to call the Japanese people, in light of these tragedies, stupid? Some people are realistic about energy needs.

edit: Actually, I stand corrected, there are two pants damaged. Fukushima I and the nearby Fukushima II. Though II was minor damage and it's the Fukushima I plant that's the incident I was talking about and the ongoing crisis.
worldlinerai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
correction: The majority of people in Tokyo who voted like him. Heaven help those in the minority of voters against him and the poor fools who didn't vote.

It's going to take action to get them to stand up. I bet if there were corp shutdowns, raids, massive arrests, and mass search-and-seizure, then they'll start worrying.

Plus, with all the events going on, they should be more focused on relief efforts and reconstruction than searching/cracking down on any content Ishihara doesn't like.
Splash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
It's pretty disgusting that a conservative piece of trash like this asshole can get elected in much a modern cutting edge mega-city like Tokyo. Tokyo may be ahead of any city in the US technologically, but socially it's still in the dark ages like some small podunk town out of the deep south in America. This governor is about as modern as some hick sheriff longing for the good old days of slaves picking cotton. I know there have been accusations that he and a number of other Japanese politicians long for the good old days of the emperor and fascism. My heart goes out to the Japanese people who want a socially modern Japan and have to fight against not-so-nice-people like this, women and gays in particular.

Can I hug you? ... *does it anyway* T___T
Btw is ANN still updating this story? The official count's in and he's been officially re-elected -_-;;; http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110410/wl_asia_afp/japanpoliticstokyovote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Splash wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
It's pretty disgusting that a conservative piece of trash like this asshole can get elected in much a modern cutting edge mega-city like Tokyo. Tokyo may be ahead of any city in the US technologically, but socially it's still in the dark ages like some small podunk town out of the deep south in America. This governor is about as modern as some hick sheriff longing for the good old days of slaves picking cotton. I know there have been accusations that he and a number of other Japanese politicians long for the good old days of the emperor and fascism. My heart goes out to the Japanese people who want a socially modern Japan and have to fight against not-so-nice-people like this, women and gays in particular.

Can I hug you? ... *does it anyway* T___T
Btw is ANN still updating this story? The official count's in and he's been officially re-elected -_-;;; http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110410/wl_asia_afp/japanpoliticstokyovote

There are no words for my anger no words at all, dammit it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
It shouldn't have been built there. You lost this argument, because the tsunami occurred there and created a catastrophe. So obviously a mistake was made. If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line. The fact people would defend this just amazes me, and the only defense is to start calling people hippies for something that went horrendously wrong. You may as well be arguing in favor of the citizens of Pompei to build their city next to the volano.
No. The plant was fine where it was. It should have been built BETTER. If the wall had been even a meter higher, the tsunami wouldn't have gotten to the generators and there would have been no nuclear disaster. The problem wasn't building it on a coast, it was the problem of the fail safe sea wall not being high enough by less than a meter. That's all that cause the problem of one plant in a country full of them in the middle of their biggest earthquake ever, one of the five biggest ever recorded. Only one plant was damaged and, again, that was only due to the tsunami being less than a meter over what was expected.

Never mind the plant was an older model. Any new power plants will learn from this mistake and they will get better. It's called science and progress. Who needs anti-evolution religious nuts to hold them behind, when we have the anti-science of the anti-nuclear power hippies. Seriously, people who rave about how bad nuclear power is are mostly irrational in their fear mongering.

So don't go Monday Morning Quarterbacking saying that the whole energy stagegy of a nation is wrong just because you think no one should build nuclear plants in Japan. With that arrogance you might as well just say all of Japan is stupid for living in such a earthquake prone area period. Are the poor people who died in the tsunami stupid for living in an area prone to such dangers? That line of thought is just ludicrous. Who the hell are you to call the Japanese people, in light of these tragedies, stupid? Some people are realistic about energy needs.

edit: Actually, I stand corrected, there are two pants damaged. Fukushima I and the nearby Fukushima II. Though II was minor damage and it's the Fukushima I plant that's the incident I was talking about and the ongoing crisis.

It shouldn't have been built on a coast line opposite of that kind of fault line that is absolutely going to produce huge tsunamis due to how big it is and how it's positioned in the ocean. It's just a fact. Save your pro-business conservative knee-jerking for people actually stupid enough to buy into it and aren't callous enough to write off the deaths or 12,000 people dying for stubborn idealogical nonsense. I never made an argument that nuclear power should never be used in Japan. It should just be used in a way that isn't totally moronic.

And just arguing the wall should be higher is the kind of grade-school level thinking that resulted in the geniuses who built the plant in that spot thinking the wall could handle it in the first place. I'm sure if we had this argument a few months ago, you'd be one of the geniuses predicting that an earth quake of that size would never happen, so we shouldn't worry about it. Leave our fate in the hands of glorious corporations like Tepco. It will all be ok, guys.

And really I love people who argue against grand corporate incomepetence being called hippies. If you want to go that retro, you should go even further calling everyone in this thread Commie Pinkos while wearing your "Vote for Nixon" button proudly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Gov Ishihara re-elected to 4th term; voter turnout 57.8%

That turnout is actually an increase from 54.35% in the previous election four years ago (either number still puts U.S. elections to shame). Ishihara won nearly 2.62 million votes, or about 43% of those cast and some 924,000 votes more than runner-up Higashikokubaru (about 28%). It wasn't even close.

The Xenos wrote:
No. The plant was fine where it was. It should have been built BETTER. If the wall had been even a meter higher, the tsunami wouldn't have gotten to the generators and there would have been no nuclear disaster. The problem wasn't building it on a coast, it was the problem of the fail safe sea wall not being high enough by less than a meter.

It was more than just that. The earthquake sunk the eastern coasts of Japan about 2 meters. So many walls became lower than specifications, plus the heights of the tsunami.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
It shouldn't have been built there.

Oh, then I have news for you, it is time to move ALL THE SETTLEMENTS IN THE USA EAST COAST. Do not say I didn't warned you, sooner or later the 50 meter (which makes Fukushima's 10 meter look puny) tsunami will not only destroy the nuclear plants, but just about anything created by the hand of man.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
It shouldn't have been built there.

Oh, then I have news for you, it is time to move ALL THE SETTLEMENTS IN THE USA WEST COAST. Do not say I didn't warned you, sooner or later the 50 meter (which makes Fukushima's 10 meter look puny) tsunami will not only destroy the nuclear plants, but just about anything created by the hand of man.

fun fact i live in Kentucky and we have a nuclear plant near the fault line here as well, there hasn't been a quake here for over 200 years but that doesn't mean there isn't going to be one sooner or later because my state no the whole fault line is about due one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
So it's true then? People do get the government they deserve. Rolling Eyes
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Why am I not surprised that he would be back?

In fact, I think I predicted this. Not like I would have liked it anyway.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Welp, looks like Japan's economy is gonna be borked. See you in 10 years Japan.....
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Welp, looks like Japan's economy is gonna be borked. See you in 10 years Japan.....

i guess people ignored my other post but I think they could come to a compromise if they did an anime movie or series based of his novels, that stuff sells like hot cakes as it is japan and I see a win win there, or maybe that's just me.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

i guess people ignored my other post but I think they could come to a compromise if they did an anime movie or series based of his novels, that stuff sells like hot cakes as it is japan and I see a win win there, or maybe that's just me.

Nope, still thinking re-electing the moron is gonna be detrimental to the economy of Japan. Again, see ya in 10 years, hope you enjoy the Bubble.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Xenos: Also, if nuclear power is "safe", then why is Japan now at a Chernobyl-level warning?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
It shouldn't have been built on a coast line opposite of that kind of fault line that is absolutely going to produce huge tsunamis due to how big it is and how it's positioned in the ocean. It's just a fact. Save your pro-business conservative knee-jerking for people actually stupid enough to buy into it and aren't callous enough to write off the deaths or 12,000 people dying for stubborn idealogical nonsense. I never made an argument that nuclear power should never be used in Japan. It should just be used in a way that isn't totally moronic.

And just arguing the wall should be higher is the kind of grade-school level thinking that resulted in the geniuses who built the plant in that spot thinking the wall could handle it in the first place. I'm sure if we had this argument a few months ago, you'd be one of the geniuses predicting that an earth quake of that size would never happen, so we shouldn't worry about it. Leave our fate in the hands of glorious corporations like Tepco. It will all be ok, guys.

And really I love people who argue against grand corporate incomepetence being called hippies. If you want to go that retro, you should go even further calling everyone in this thread Commie Pinkos while wearing your "Vote for Nixon" button proudly.
I guess I did do some name calling and labeling, but I find it funny how people think this is just all about left and right, black and white. Now I considering myself right of center, but I also consider myself liberal. Too often liberal is just used synonymous with left. Though I'm not far right wing, let everything be laissez faire with the invisible hand of the market.

I believe in government regulation, but not government control. I'm not for government control aside from basic public services like courts, military, police, fire, and schools. Of course some people would argue heathcare too while I prefer just regulating the industry better. Meanwhile some crazy right wingers want even basic services privatized and that disgusts me. Really I'm far more progressive than most right wingers and certainly would be booted out of any room of conservatives. I'd call myself libertarian, but am not afraid to be progressive as long as people's rights are respected.

And funny you mention Nixon because compared with the right winger post-Regan Republicans of today, Nixon would be on the left of them. If you wanted to really label me a conservative, you should have said Regan, not Nixon. Aside from the potty mouth and corruption like Watergate, Nixon wasn't actually that bad compared of a President. Well, at least compared to the image people have to him, he wasn't quite that bad. (And mind you I'm a huge Hunter S Thompson fan.) He was taken down by his dirty election scam. Of course that's like the old saying, "Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?" Then again, Kennedy cheated Nixon out of the election when Daley got a bunch of dead people vote for him in Cook country. So if election fraud damns a president, Kennedy is just as bad as Nixon. That's the trouble. In the real world there are no clear cut heroes and villains. They're people with their pros and cons which you have to weigh in detail.

Well.. usually. This Ishihara sure sounds like one hell of a bad egg. He makes many social conservatives in America. And, yes, Japan is too far right wing for my tastes. Yet we also see streaks of conservative nationalism and even groups that are quite for Japanese government control like the old days. That type of technically left wing rhetoric isn't good either.

Of course we can't let energy companies go unregulated. Yet that doesn't mean getting rid of nuclear power along a whole coast. This is where government and corporations are totally intertwined. When it comes to private vs government owned power, I honestly am on the fence. The people of a nation need power. Yet does government provide the best control over running such plants? Of course government needs to regulate power, be it nuclear or solar or water or fossil fuel. Yet I don't see what's wrong with it being privitized as logn as it's regulated well. Now you can argue that the power plant was not regulated well. That the tsunami and quake damage was not forseen could have been just as overlooked had it been publicly owned. You cannot state that because some company owned it instead the disaster happened. Do you really think that the company wanted a damn melt down on their hands?

An engineering miscalculation was made. Period. The state could just as well be at fault for not estimating the proper precautions. And none of this nuclear power fear mongering by naysayers is going to improve the situation. Japan needs power. Nuclear is very practical. We need level heads and reason to prevent tragedies like this, not this anti-science 'no nuke' hysteria.

Now going back to left vs right with Ishihara, here's the hypocrisy of his so called right wing agenda. You see this same problem with American conservatives too who always complain about the nanny state and leftists, but they sure as hell also want government to tell people how live their lives. You see it when conservatives talk hosts talk about getting government out of people's lives, but when wants the government to make a damn amendment to ban gays from having the same legal rights as everyone else.

You have Republicans talking about the free market.. but then sic the FCC fines on things they deem distasteful on the open airwaves and try to hinder free speech. Similarly, Ishihara here is supposedly right wing and for the free market... yet he also turns around an says he wants manga to be censors by some moral code. Sure he says he wants an independent group to police this, but it's a thinly veiled form of government censorship of the media. Who needs authoritarian leftists when you have right wingers like this!

Really, it's not just about left and right. It's about people in power screwing over everyone else. Ishihara is a facist. He's right wing, but he also has a horrible streak of authoritarianism over the manga industry. And that's not even getting into his horrible idea about women and homosexuals and whatever steps he thinks the government needs to take with them. It wasn't that long ago that conservatives were thinking about putting gays into camps during the early days of AIDS. And Japan isn't all that far removed from its facist past. So I can see why more freedom minded people there are worried. (Not that America is all that lily white considering what we did to Japanese Americans in WWII, mind you.) Such a leader in any level of government with such a conservative authoritarian mind is frightening. To have such a closed minded politician in office is a scary prospect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6