• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawyer: Some One Piece Downloaders Settle Out of Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
So if I steal someones car, and then someone steals that car from me, does that mean they're not a criminal? Lol

Lol. If someone designs a car, someone copies the design and build a car with their own money and give the car to someone else, is that someone else stealing? Lol
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Quote:

Now if you will admit that stealing Anime isn't right then we can call it even.

I don't want to get into the right or wrong of this. Morality is a hostile subject that depends on whose thou shalt is being followed.

If one ignores morality, stealing anime will always be superior to getting it through legal means. Always.

Because stealing means you don't have to pay. An anime company can never compete with that: "free" anime is supported by ads (an annoyance) and/or is of lesser quality than the dvds/bds the company hopes you will buy if you like the series. Anime companies are businesses, they have to find some way to at least recoup their expenses. If you can come up with a business model that would allow a company to pay to license anime, then translate it and maybe even dub it, then release it for download in HD quality for free, without ever charging anyone a cent, I'd love to hear it.

But... if one ignores morality, then all the justifications people give for using fansubs of licensed series become pointless, and the entire idea of justifying fansubs becomes absurd, because without morality justification is a meaningless concept.

How often do you see someone post in a fansub thread saying something like "I don't care what the companies do. I simply want the best quality video, without ads, for free. I know it's impossible for companies to provide this, they have to pay to license series, but I don't care. I will use fansubs, regardless if it's stealing, regardless if it's wrong by most moral codes."

Such honesty would actually be refreshing in a way. But no, what we see are tons and tons of "I'm justified in what I'm doing because of X."
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
You might want to stop talking now, you're not making any sense. Fansubbers have no right to fansub anime, and you certainly don't have any right to download it.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Still living in your post apocalyptic world I see. Might as well want to take a look reality every now and then.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Still living in your post apocalyptic world I see.

What is there to feel good about? Anime sales continue to decrease, less anime is being made, and the anime industry can't survive in its present form.

You don't want to accept that pirates action is having an effect on the anime industry so you deny that anime is in trouble and continue to live in a 2005 mindset.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Scormio wrote:
So if I steal someones car, and then someone steals that car from me, does that mean they're not a criminal? Lol

Lol. If someone designs a car, someone copies the design and build a car with their own money and give the car to someone else, is that someone else stealing? Lol

If you answered my question's before asking you're own, it would be nice, but that's fine.

In response to your's, yes, it would be, if the original designer had copyrighted the design.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Even when conceding you can't ditch the vitriol. Are you trying to start a pissing contest?

Hardly. I posted what you wanted me to post to end the argument. Not sure what else you want out of me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I don't want to get into the right or wrong of this. Morality is a hostile subject that depends on whose thou shalt is being followed.

I'm not sure what you meant by "whose thou shalt is being followed", but yeah, we should steal anime. I'm sure they'll keep making more once their revenue goes into the red.

I don't know how anyone can morally think stealing is good, but oh well.

Thou shalt = rules/commandments/dogma/tenets
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
No they will depend entirely on the Japanese to buy anime, then bitch endlessly about the shrinking number of anime, anime budget shrinking, and how anime companies aren't experimenting anymore.

Haha, what happens when stupid Japanese otaku wise up and refuse to be swindled any longer into paying obscene prices for anime? Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Haha, what happens when stupid Japanese otaku wise up and refuse to be swindled any longer into paying obscene prices for anime? Laughing

No more anime other than ones with alternative revenue streams like toy lines or card games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Because stealing copying means you don't have to pay. An anime company can never compete with that:

Never compete? There is no way I can see any truth to the statement.

Anime does compete with free. It also competes with itself. It competes with manga. It competes with Japanese entertainment. It competes with US entertainment. It competes with paying the bills. It competes with people wanting to eat for a day.

The next time you buy a value meal at your local burger joint, consider what you just spent and what anime just competed with.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Because stealing copying means you don't have to pay. An anime company can never compete with that:

Never compete? There is no way I can see any truth to the statement.

Anime does compete with free. It also competes with itself. It competes with manga. It competes with Japanese entertainment. It competes with US entertainment. It competes with paying the bills. It competes with people wanting to eat for a day.

The next time you buy a value meal at your local burger joint, consider what you just spent and what anime just competed with.

I'm sure you know what I meant. Imagine both McDonalds and Burger King offer nearly identical burgers, but Burger King's tastes better and is one fourth the cost. If I say that McDonalds' burger can't hope to compete with Burger King's, I don't mean it's literally not competing at all, but that it is simply so outmatched that there is no logical reason anyone would ever choose McDonalds' sandwich other than ignorance.

If you ignore morality, it's the same with offical anime and fansubs. Fansubs are released with the best quality video. They are free. They can be downloaded and kept forever. An anime company can never match all of that at the same time. So they can never provide an experience superior or equal to using fansubs, because they always have to find some way to make money. The only way they can ever hope to be superior to fansubs is if the fansubs in question have bad translations, but with so many fansub groups out there and many series getting subbed by multiple groups, there is usually a competent translation available. Or at least one that seems competent to those who don't understand Japanese. And even if for a short while an anime company does have the better translation, they can just have their own work ripped off and provided online as a "fansub." There is no hope.

That's why all those posts saying "Anime company Y just needs to provide an experience equal to fansubs in order to deal with them" strike me as odd. Yah, there are some things anime companies could definitely do better (such as providing streaming in certain oft neglected regions), and doing those things would probably earn a nice chunk of current fansub viewers. But those who want anime companies to provide an experience that is every bit as good as fansubs are setting an impossible goal, for the reasons I stated above. They then use the fact that Funimation or whatever has not reached said goal as an excuse use fansubs.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Seriously, people are grasping at straws for reasons not to watch legal streams. These commercials help support the show, don't act like they're some horrible abomination.

I'd be more than happy to have commercials, but I really don't want to be targeted with stuff that I will have little to no use for. Or maybe given the options of what I want to be targeted with (or hey, as every Pokemon Professor asks you in the beginning of the games: "Are you a Boy or a Girl?" Why not that? At least the commercials will be appealing to the genders.).

Example: I missed a CSI episode (Unleashed). So, go to CBS website. Every so often, you had to choose three commercials to play, or it did one at random.

* One was for a health food.
* One was that god-awful Toyota commercial with the annoying blonde haired s***stain.
* One was for women's hygene products.

After the second one, I just gave up and looked elsewhere to watch the show. I'm not a health nut, i've lost interest in getting a new Toyota (along with Kia and their "Hamster" commercials), and why would I need shaving products made for a woman?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

I'd be more than happy to have commercials, but I really don't want to be targeted with stuff that I will have little to no use for. Or maybe given the options of what I want to be targeted with (or hey, as every Pokemon Professor asks you in the beginning of the games: "Are you a Boy or a Girl?" Why not that? At least the commercials will be appealing to the genders.).

Example: I missed a CSI episode (Unleashed). So, go to CBS website. Every so often, you had to choose three commercials to play, or it did one at random.

* One was that god-awful Toyota commercial with the annoying blonde haired s***stain.

After the second one, I just gave up and looked elsewhere to watch the show. I'm not a health nut, i've lost interest in getting a new Toyota (along with Kia and their "Hamster" commercials), and why would I need shaving products made for a woman?

How do you put up with TV commercials then? I'm sure not all TV commercials appeal to you, even CSI's ads. If you can put up with it on TV, can't you do the same thing on the computer? Is it really that hard for you? Very Happy
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

So....you are saying that because you are a man you shouldn't be seeing woman's commercials playing because you personally don't want to watch them? I see those damn Axe Body spray and Schick razer commercials all the time but yet, despite them being annoying, I would tolerate them or use the opportunity to grab a snack or whatever until my show comes back on. I'm not a man, a health nut, nor looking to buy a car. But maybe other people are? Just because it doesn't cater to you doesn't mean they should stop playing it to please you.

And, again, those sites are offering episodes online to you for (legally) free. They have to throw in a few commericials to make money. They need money to keep the shows that we love on the air. Just like you and I need money to eat, drink, and pay rent. And besides, the commercial breaks are way longer on the TV then on the computer. 1 minute or less of commercial viewing is not going to kill you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7