• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Righteously Confident Protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
@Desa
An antagonist is a character in a story- an important character. You said that if you remove a character and the story cannot go on without him/her/it, then that character is a protagonist.

A definition of a protagonist is a character who puts the plot into motion. An antagonist is a character who is negatively affecting the plot the protagonist has put into motion.

Care to cite at least one example? Antagonists are antagonists because they oppose the protagonists. It is the protagonists that advance the story, not the antagonists.

Removing key antagonists will change the story, but it won't prevent the story from continuing so long as the protagonists are able to advance. If removal of an antagonist will halt the story, then said antagonist is not an antagonist but another protagonist. One cannot simply be an antagonist; he must be an antagonist to something.

Protagonists don't always have an antagonist, but all antagonists must be tied to their respective protagonists. If they were independent, they would be focal points (protagonists) of their own story which they can advance separately or concurrently to the stories of other protagonists, which is often the case when there are stories within stories, or stories that share a setting but different timelines, or vice versa.

Alright, well said. I'm totally with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His supernatural capabilities allow him to merely will effects into being at a faster rate than most and also has access to three (instead of the usual single) types. All three are considered rare or are otherwise unobserved outside of Tatsuya. He has magic abilities as well but they're artificial (and part of why he's known as the "irregular).

Actually Tatsuya is slower than most. One of the main test criteria is speed, and Tatsuya's slower speed has to do with why he is a course 2 student. That by the way is exactly where the title comes from. Not part of it, but the whole thing.

TomoyoN already said the other things I was going to mention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6