• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Anime Moves to Disney XD in U.S. With Pokémon Sun & Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
You'd think a network would go crazy over the fact they have Transformers

Transformers has been coming and going from various networks for the last 30 years or so. It's not that popular.

ReifuTD wrote:
more or less the same with Sonic. But they aren't you know why, Cartoon Network has not a damn thing to do with, Pokémon, Sonic Boom or Transformers.

Even when CN is involved in the production of a show it causes problems....just look at Ben 10.

ReifuTD wrote:
Sega one day decided lets make a Sonic Boom cartoon series,

You mean Sega decided to team up with a French Production company to make Sonic Boom......to air on French and American Television.

ReifuTD wrote:
Basically SEGA pays Cartoon Network to treat Sonic Boom like crap,

Hasbro pays Cartoon Network to treat Transformers like crap,

Pokémon pays Cartoon Network to treat their show like crap,

Wrong on all three of those simply by matter of logic. No company literally pays television networks to treat their properties like crap......which would irrevocably damage their brand and their value in the process. Besides Sega's already damages their brand by releasing shoddy games especially those produced on a hasty schedule
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:
have you watched the first 2 episodes of sun and moon? it seems it didn't turned out to be as bad as we were thinking based on the trailers

The only reason why all the music was kept in the preview episodes is because TPCI didn't have the time to rescore the show. The same thing happened when they aired the first two episodes of XY as hype for the games a few days after they were released. When the series had its proper premiere in January 2014, nearly all the music had been replaced with TPCI created music instead of the original score. Expect the same thing to happen when the Sun and Moon series starts.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Considering there is comparatively little merchandise for any Cartoon Network show right now, focusing mainly on hobby shops and collector goods (maybe except The Powerpuff Girls), my impression is that either Cartoon Network is not that interested in merchandise sales, or children's merchandise has moved away from TV shows and towards general multimedia franchises (like Star Wars or Monster High).

I don't think it's so much that, so much as it is a problem with the kind of content that currently dominates CN's schedule. Comedies have always struggled to translate well into merch. For every Sponge Bob, there's a few Fairly Odd Parents: a show that is popular, runs for ages, but has little in the way of mass market merch, outside of maybe apparel. Adventure Time had a pretty decent push but most of that stuff has evaporated from general retailers, because it's not a very appealing show to turn into kids toys. The same goes for a lot of CN's other titles. How many kids are really going to buy a Steven Universe action figure? The art is hideous and not in a "gross your sister" kind of way. Kids want something cool and fun to play with, not abstract shapes and regurgitated Tumblr sketches.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:
You'd think a network would go crazy over the fact they have Transformers

Transformers has been coming and going from various networks for the last 30 years or so. It's not that popular.

Not really. On the US side of things, there are 11 TV series and five have aired on the same channel, and the ones that didn't usually weren't one and dones. The original series and Beast Wars ran in syndication. Beast Machines and RiD aired on FOX Kids. Armada, Energon, Cybertron and Animated aired on Cartoon Network. Prime and Rescue Bots aired on The Hub. Robots in Disguise 2015 was originally intended to air on The Hub, but Hasbro decided it would be better if people could at least have the opportunity to say they didn't watch the show, so it wound up on CN.

It's not easy to tell how popular Transformers is as a TV property today. The last time it was treated well on an accessible network was in 2008 with Animated, which had a divisive art style (amusingly, it fits today's CN far more than it did back then), no ties to the films (narrative, visual, or thematically), and was left to rot as Hasbro prepped for The Hub. Then Prime and Rescue Bots were used as loss leaders on The Hub and RiD 2015 is being treated as though it doesn't exist. RiD's death sentence on CN still pulls in higher viewership than anything on Discovery Family/The Hub and all the Marvel/Star Wars shows on Disney Anime hyper. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I don't think it's so much that, so much as it is a problem with the kind of content that currently dominates CN's schedule. Comedies have always struggled to translate well into merch. For every Sponge Bob, there's a few Fairly Odd Parents: a show that is popular, runs for ages, but has little in the way of mass market merch, outside of maybe apparel. Adventure Time had a pretty decent push but most of that stuff has evaporated from general retailers, because it's not a very appealing show to turn into kids toys. The same goes for a lot of CN's other titles. How many kids are really going to buy a Steven Universe action figure? The art is hideous and not in a "gross your sister" kind of way. Kids want something cool and fun to play with, not abstract shapes and regurgitated Tumblr sketches.

Times must have changed from earlier decades. While I definitely saw more action show merchandise than comedy show merchandise, one major reason shows like The Simpsons and The Smurfs got as popular as they did was an explosion in merchandise. Though looking back on it, shows with solid runs like Courage the Cowardly Dog and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends didn't have much merchandise either.

As for the art style of Steven Universe, I really don't mind it at all. I notice it seems to annoy a lot of anime fans though. I DO see collectibles for Steven Universe though, and as of late they've started appearing in Target and Toys R Us. But they're stuff targeted thoroughly at adults.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
You know I only have two choices for the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime

1) Air in Japanese with English subtitles on Disney Anime hyper
2) Let Funimation get the rights from The Pokemon Company in order to license it in both Sub and Dub versions (by using the Original Japanese character names and the original Japanese music)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6