• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: LaLaport Numazu Removes 'Sexualizing' Panel of Love Live! Sunshine!!'s Chika

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
That's the bullstuff "slippery slope" argument that's based on the bogus assertion that people are routinely offended by something benign. There's nothing benign about sexualizing underage women. Nothing.

And yet this very article is about something benign being complained about. An image. A drawing. That served as an advert for local oranges.
And in what way does it sexualize anything? It's a drawing, it isn't even showing any excess skin more than you could encounter on any summer day out on the streets.

Quote:
Let me repeat that so we're clear: You're defending something that a large number of people feel is repugnant. You're not a majority being repressed by a minority.

Unless you can substantiate that claim, I call it what it is, an assertion pulled out of thin air.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem to think it's about how short the skirt is or something but the issue is with how the skirt was literally looking like it was being pushed into the crotch. It's not abnormal for LL art though, but I think it probably got more attention since Chika's voice actress was literally standing next to the art so it made the weird skirt suction even more evident.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
A lot of people seem to think it's about how short the skirt is or something but the issue is with how the skirt was literally looking like it was being pushed into the crotch. It's not abnormal for LL art though, but I think it probably got more attention since Chika's voice actress was literally standing next to the art so it made the weird skirt suction even more evident.

That and the fact that the VA’s skirt didn’t do it, so it sticks out...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
I like how people are citing Change.org petitions and Twitter like counts as legitimate backing to their position. Like, really? You think there are teeming masses of ordinary Japanese citizens standing up for the right to publicly highlight fictional teenage girl crotch?
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:47 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I like how people are citing Change.org petitions and Twitter like counts as legitimate backing to their position. Like, really? You think there are teeming masses of ordinary Japanese citizens standing up for the right to publicly highlight fictional teenage girl crotch?

Yes, because that's totally not what people condemning the image are citing as evidence to back their position as well. Rolling Eyes
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:50 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

You could have just said "I have no rebuttal to any of these arguments" and it would have gotten the point across much quicker. This all started on Twitter, so it is completely fair to point to Twitter interaction to see which side has more support.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Yes, because that's totally not what people condemning the image are citing as evidence to back their position as well. Rolling Eyes

It...really isn't. Or at least it isn't what I'm citing. What I'm citing is the "what the hell" skeeved-out reaction I had when first seeing the image.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

You could have just said "I have no rebuttal to any of these arguments" and it would have gotten the point across much quicker. This all started on Twitter, so it is completely fair to point to Twitter interaction to see which side has more support.

Twitter (and most of social media really) is the very definition of an echo chamber, so citing the number of likes of a particular comment only really proves that people who agree with a certain viewpoint are expressing agreement with said viewpoint. This is...not exactly a revelation. And Change.org has been a running Internet joke from its inception.

Again, at the end of the day, what fans of the franchise think about this doesn't really matter. Complaints were made to a business, the complaints were judged to be legitimate, and like pretty much any business ever, the aversion to driving away potential customers won out. If the original artist had just drawn an ordinary schoolgirl skirt instead of whatever the hell that is, none of this would have happened in the first place. Maybe redirect your frustration at them instead.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
@Top Gun

You do not seem to understand. The original complaints against the poster were made on LaLaport's official twitter, so pointing out that the counter-reaction, ie in favor of the poster, has more support on twitter is a perfectly valid thing to do, even without the change.org thing...

Also, Nishiura Mikan(the orange company) has themselves stated Takami Chika, the Love Live! girl on the poster, will remain ambassador for the brand, and keeping in mind the poster is still displayed in many other establishments, shows the parties involved themselves have shown push-back against the original complaints. We may yet see the poster back at LaLaport Numazu...
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
@Top Gun

You do not seem to understand. The original complaints against the poster were made on LaLaport's official twitter, so pointing out that the counter-reaction, ie in favor of the poster, has more support on twitter is a perfectly valid thing to do, even without the change.org thing...

Also, Nishiura Mikan(the orange company) has themselves stated Takami Chika, the Love Live! girl on the poster, will remain ambassador for the brand, and keeping in mind the poster is still displayed in many other establishments, shows the parties involved themselves have shown push-back against the original complaints. We may yet see the poster back at LaLaport Numazu...

They never threatened to remove Chika as the ambassador and stop the collaboration though? They’ve been using Chika’s image to sell mikan for literal years now and aren’t going to stop until Love Live loses it’s luster (which it isn’t anytime soon, CYaRon’s first solo concert was in Fukuoka this weekend, Chika being one of the members of that subunit) and it stops bringing tourism to Numazu itself.

All this was over the removal of the poster from the shopping center, and even then it was only moved to a more non conspicuous location from what I saw of a photo on Twitter from a person who recently did a Numazu pilgrimage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6