• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wonder Egg Priority (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
Ai will turn into a mech and they will go to space.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Special (final?) episode:

ACxS wrote:
I hope it's a long one and satisfying one that's worth the wait.

It wasn't a long one, and it wasn't satisfying. At all.

I'm not even sure what to think, when the first-half of this long episode is basically another recap for the series. Yes, another, because we already had one in the series. But now I have to grapple with an ending that's as open as where the series left off.

So... what, Neiru's missing and Ai just says "I'm back"? That's it? We're left with even more questions than before? The mystery behind Koito's death is revealed by Sawaki-sensei, even though I have plenty of questions to ask, and Neiru's gone missing. Where do I even begin? Apparently Koito died because she lost her balance, but that's not what I wanted to know. What was going on between them? And not only has Neiru gone missing, it's almost as though her existence has been wiped out. Why? Frill did this?

There's going to be another episode or cour or something after this, right? I can't call this an ending because it is not an ending. I mean c'mon! I'm not even going to rate this episode.

Last edited by ACxS on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the ending seems to indicate There is More Story to Come. However, assuming this is all we ever get, I'm still rating it Very Good. It always kept my interest and I liked the characters. I wonder if the girls who came back are from parallel worlds? Also who was phoning Ai... the calls that Ai wouldn't answer? From Neiru? I dunno. I think if I knew who was calling, I'd have a better idea of why she didn't answer. I hope somebody has some good ideas about that. DP?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
What the hell was that ?!
Add in that Krusty meme I am pretty much furious at this being the ending of the series.

The worst contender isn't even the fact that it is a non-ending, what I am most angry about was how Koito's story resolved. Sure, Koito seems to be an alternate version of herself that didn't become Ai's friend, it isn't really surprising. But the worst is the explanation given that apparently she drove a teacher with a family from her previous school to suicide, because the teacher was the problem there, and then she apparently was trying the same thing against Sawaki, where she was trying to get him to love her by threatening to jump off the roof and were making accusations that he raped her.

What the hell kind of explanation for her character is that when this show has done so much about protecting child victims? Momoe's previous story was about a trans boy being raped by a teacher, and then we have this. The sort of thing that sounds like a character assassination against teenager who have a hard time being believed over respected authority figures. And to twist it further they seem to make Koito pretty much a bully against Ai, so apparently that is a Koito that doesn't kill herself.

With regards to Koito, I am going to straight up pretend what we found out here was not the truth. I am replacing it with theory that Koito was actually in love with Ai, that perhaps she was talking with Sawaki as a confidant of her feelings. And perhaps if there was some scene on the roof, he might have done something to her and they were not false accusations, and that his framing of her is character assassination for people not to believe her. This is a whole lot better than Koito turning out to be a teenage girl that tries to seduce her teachers and died because she was trying to get attention.

Another revelation of the episode. Apparently Neiru is an AI robot, who was created by her friend, Kotobuki. So apparently Airu was the real girl that she was based on, despite Neiru saying that Airu was the little sister, and attacked Neiru then killed herself out of jealousy of Neiru. This seems totally ridiculous and practically out of nowhere, I might even say insulting for Neiru's neurodivergent traits. The pun could have been right there to say that "Ai"ru could have been the AI version of Neiru, and perhaps Airu went berserk after Kotobuki still preferred the original despite thinking she acted more human like compared to Neiru.

This is all just so bad. Not even mentioning that the first half of this special really was a recap, it generally felt like it lacked the sort of life and creativity of the rest of the series, and certainly did not feel fun with its female friendship bits, and we just zoom into apparently Ai transferring schools, and becoming distanced from her new friends. It does piss to explore a scene with Ai getting a phone call from Neiru, and then does a story will continue as she will look for Neiru in eggs. It is bad.

Blood- wrote:
Also who was phoning Ai... the calls that Ai wouldn't answer? From Neiru? I dunno. I think if I knew who was calling, I'd have a better idea of why she didn't answer. I hope somebody has some good ideas about that. DP?

Okay, here is my idea. Ai was afraid that Neiru would kill herself to for the hope of being reborn as a real human, so a phone call from Neiru might essentially be something like a real goodbye, a last call before Neiru killed herself to hope to be reborn. But afterwards Ai regrets that she didn't face it anyway, and remove the uncertainty. But she is assuming that Neiru is dead anyway and decides to go through the eggs.

I am angry that I was so invested in this series and this is what it left me on, which was already after complaining about the playing with fire in hinting at teenage girls being in love with their teacher. It is so tone deaf for what had otherwise given great stuff. I really don't want to change my rating, since when it was good it could be fantastic, but at this point if I recommended this series I would probably tell people to seriously ignore the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks, DP. That explanation is certainly better than anything I could come up with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6