• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
...Wait, wait, where did you guys get the bestality thing from? O.o; I'm not at all into that sort of thing, but I can be the same way about animals. I like animals, they're cute.

I also love kids and want to be a mother, but that doesn't make me a pedophille.

...Although I haven't completely finished the series, but still. o.o;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that Kaorin is truly attracted to other girls doesn't require any substantial leap of faith, as the series makes it pretty obvious in my view. However, all this nonsense about Sakaki being attracted to pets in that sort of way is just plain creepy and is not supported by what I saw in the series.

It's perfectly normal for an average girl to love cute things and to seek them out, including house pets, without being attracted to them in that way. As explained over and over again in the series, Sakaki has never been able to truly indulge her desire to have a pet because her parents can't tolerate them. Thus, she has managed to develop a much stronger interest in being around them than the other girls have.

Also, having a pet in Japan is a bit less common than some other places. Here in America it's not uncommon for even relatively poor families to have one or more pets to look after, but it can be considered something of a privilege in Japan.
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Assuming that Kaorin is truly attracted to other girls doesn't require any substantial leap of faith, as the series makes it pretty obvious in my view. However, all this nonsense about Sakaki being attracted to pets in that sort of way is just plain creepy and is not supported by what I saw in the series.

It's perfectly normal for an average girl to love cute things and to seek them out, including house pets, without being attracted to them in that way. As explained over and over again in the series, Sakaki has never been able to truly indulge her desire to have a pet because her parents can't tolerate them. Thus, she has managed to develop a much stronger interest in being around them than the other girls have.

Also, having a pet in Japan is a bit less common than some other places. Here in America it's not uncommon for even relatively poor families to have one or more pets to look after, but it can be considered something of a privilege in Japan.

Lesbianism is nothing all that new, so Kaorin being attracted to girls is a whatever thing. Most likely, she wants to do a whole mess of 18+ things to Sakaki, but I mean, whatever. The concern is Sakaki's reactions to animals. I don't think any of the other girls in the show save Chiyo has a pet, and none of them freak like Sakaki about animals. We've seen how Sakaki blushes and gets all whoa when she's around Kamineko (SHE LICKS THE BITE HE GIVES HER). That kind of evidence is on the same level as Kaorin's lesbianism, so I think it's safe to say that Sakaki wants to stroke a bit more than animal fur, if you catch my drift.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
The concern is Sakaki's reactions to animals. I don't think any of the other girls in the show save Chiyo has a pet, and none of them freak like Sakaki about animals. We've seen how Sakaki blushes and gets all whoa when she's around Kamineko (SHE LICKS THE BITE HE GIVES HER). That kind of evidence is on the same level as Kaorin's lesbianism, so I think it's safe to say that Sakaki wants to stroke a bit more than animal fur, if you catch my drift.

As funny as this notion is, I don't really think really counts as evidence that Sakiki likes animals that way, and it sure as hell isn't "evidence on the same level as Kaorin's lesbianisn". Go read some hentai doujins and get those ideas out of your system. Laughing
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
As funny as this notion is, I don't really think really counts as evidence that Sakiki likes animals that way, and it sure as hell isn't "evidence on the same level as Kaorin's lesbianisn". Go read some hentai doujins and get those ideas out of your system. Laughing

You've not seen my hentai doujin collection, have you.

But alas, my statement still stands. She wants some Chiyo dogdick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Sakaki being into beastiality never occured to me before, I just thought she thought they were cute. Her parents wouldn't let her have pets iirc (could be wrong about this, haven't seen Azudai in a while), so that's why she was so into other ones. But yes, I do have to say she showed a little bit too much interest in them sometimes... I suppose it could be that she's into "that". Personally, I don't think that's what it is though, I think it was just for humor.

And yes, I'd have to say I think that Kaorin is a lesbian.

Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Anthony P wrote:
Go read some hentai doujins and get those ideas out of your system. Laughing

Lmao.

Edit: Lol, I started the third page on two threads twice in a row... nevermind.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
No one is saying that, but she is a main character who is big on the ladies. Similar no?

yes quite similar. that line seems almost like some of the lines in Azumanga as well

It feels like a combination of the 2-part joke in AzuDai where Chiyo-chan's height is compared with Sakaki's, followed by Osaka and Tomo comparing their breast sizes with Sakaki's.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
That kind of evidence is on the same level as Kaorin's lesbianism, so I think it's safe to say that Sakaki wants to stroke a bit more than animal fur, if you catch my drift.

Are you even watching the same show as everyone else or are you just someone who says everything at the top of your mind without thinking? Sakaki is not into beastilty whatsoever. Here's a line from the episode where she adopts the iriomote cat as proof that she isn't:

Chiyo: You sure do love animals, don't you Sakaki-san?

Sakaki: I love cute things. Because I've always been tall, I've never been cute.

Sakaki acts this way around anything that's CUTE, not just animals because she likes CUTE things. And Sakaki wants to be a vetenerian, so of course her interest in animals is going to be stronger than the other girls'. It's the same with Kagura's obssesion with sports. Does that mean Kagura gets turned on by sports just beause she's obssesed with them? No, it just means she's passionate about being an athlete, just like Sakaki is passionate about being a vet. Seriously, this is an anime about ordinary high school girls enjoying life, not some ecchi anime about a teenage girl into animals. Get your mind out of the gutter already and next time watch the actual show itself before you start spouting out every little thing that pops in your head. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

[EDIT: No need for name-calling. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Anthony P wrote:

But alas, my statement still stands. She wants some Chiyo dogdick.

I thought you were joking when you said that the first time, nearly spitting out the tea I was drinking all over the computer screen but after thinking back to some of your previous posts including this one, I wouldn't be surprised if you were actually being serious Confused. Still, I got a few good laughs reading some of the other comments on this thread Laughing.

I also believe that Kaorin is as gay for Sakaki as Tomoyo is for Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura). It's pretty much completely innocent and nothing sexual Wink.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll never be able to watch Azumanga Daioh the same way again after reading this...
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Well, I'll never be able to watch Azumanga Daioh the same way again after reading this...

sorry for tainting it for you

and anyways, my question was never answered. What the hellw ere they talking about w/ Sakaki's pick and a face in the background after the trip to the beach?

Also, someone explain that long running "what the hell?" slap thing Tomo makes people do to her. I really didn't get it at all <_<
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:

and anyways, my question was never answered. What the hellw ere they talking about w/ Sakaki's pick and a face in the background after the trip to the beach?

Oh, that? It was a ghost. Basically, Sakaki's getting warm fuzzies over her very-special trip photos, and Tomo has to ruin it by pointing out something spooky and decidedly un-cute. (Wasn't there something on the ghost-photo thing in the cultural notes?)
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Oh, that? It was a ghost. Basically, Sakaki's getting warm fuzzies over her very-special trip photos, and Tomo has to ruin it by pointing out something spooky and decidedly un-cute. (Wasn't there something on the ghost-photo thing in the cultural notes?)

cultural notes? nope, didn't see any, I read the ones on the slap and what the hell thing but I didn't get it.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I also love the scenes where they use their crappy english, like when the jock was helping the American carry luggage. Need more series like that.
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
It's the same with Kagura's obssesion with sports. Does that mean Kagura gets turned on by sports just beause she's obssesed with them? No, it just means she's passionate about being an athlete, just like Sakaki is passionate about being a vet.

Kagura doesn't blush and start licking the sweat off her arms while running laps around the track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11