• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Zero (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Beized wrote:
What did poor Sakura do? She's just been traumatized in inaction.

She spoiler[dumped Kariya in the worms]. Mr Sinister goes to far but it surprised me when I saw it.

No she didn't. spoiler[He went to get her in the worm room, collapsed and had a brief hallucination of saving her, finally died, and slid down the stairs. ]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
And what effort does she make to stop him? And check out the look on her face as he goes under.

But, yeah, it's open to interpretation. I read it as darkly ironic: his love for Sakura is, by this stage, entirely deluded. She has long lost any feelings for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
And what effort does she make to stop him? And check out the look on her face as he goes under.

But, yeah, it's open to interpretation. I read it as darkly ironic: his love for Sakura is, by this stage, entirely deluded. She has long lost any feelings for him.

spoiler[He was already dead, what was she going to do? Her expression was empty, yah, but given what she had gone through it's not surprising.]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
My bigger question about this most recent discussion topic is this: How did Sakura end up again as the cheerful teenager we see in F/SN given the way she is at the end here and what Dessa was saying about what was done to her? (And I'd be very curious to know what the source is on that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skullface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
sighh really?

errinundra wrote:

She hasn't lost feelings for him. She is basicallyspoiler[broken and has sealed her emotions away. Why does she react this way? because she sees that there is no hope that she will ever be saved and this is a lesson from Zouken because Zouken has corrupted her into believing that.]
Really just disgusting people would think this way

also from the novel
spoiler[
Sakura stared at the corpse of the man who had fallen before her in the icy-cold darkness of the worm storage. This man was muttering to himself even till the end, and a satisfied smile was on his face even as he died.
How odd. Why would this man return here? Why did he still want to live when he was in such a despicable state?
Although Sakura couldn’t understand why, she clearly knew why he was in anguish, and why he was dead.
– You must not disobey Grandfather.
Everyone in the Makiri house knew that, but why wouldn’t this man obey that rule? He was an adult, but he was helplessly stupid.
Why, why would this man choose such a meaningless death?
After a brief consideration – ahh, that was why. Sakura suddenly understood it.
This must be her lesson tonight.
A lesson to teach her what would happen to those who disobeyed Grandfather’s will. This man died here so Sakura could see a real example with her own eyes.
Yes, I understood, Grandfather.
The girl nodded obediently. She burned this scene deep into her memory while she stared, unmoving, at the corpse surrounded by worms that was gradually becoming smaller and smaller. ]
Beized

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My bigger question about this most recent discussion topic is this: How did Sakura end up again as the cheerful teenager we see in F/SN given the way she is at the end here and what Dessa was saying about what was done to her? (And I'd be very curious to know what the source is on that.)

Ugh, the answer to all these questions, and so many more Fate/Zero raises is Heaven's Feel. We really need that animated soon.
Skullface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Heaven's Feel Spoilers spoiler[She met Shirou and he basically became her only light in her life of suffering]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Spoilers for the Fate Stay/Night visual novel in this post.

Some of that comes from the Heaven's Feel route of the visual novel, which has yet to be adapted.spoiler[ Don't recall it being specifically stated that Zouken had raped her, though it was kind of vague. it was revealed that Shinji had done so, though I believe he had left her alone ever since she started hanging out with Shirou.
]

Also, as for her personality, well... spoiler[She's kind of faking it. She only ever smiles or shows any sign of happiness when Shirou is near, as she's kind of obsessively in love with him.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I read HF, so yeah, I was mistaken on Zouken, but the wikia explains everything in full (both HF, as well as what exactly happened at the end of F/Z).
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As mentioned, Heaven's Feel goes into more detail on this in the FSN VN, but the sorta generic spoiler answer is that spoiler[it's kind of half faking and half genuine enjoyment of Shirou's presence because she likes him and and wants to delay his finding out there's something wrong with her as long as she can. She really only acts that way around Shirou and Taiga.]
manicli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew what the production values were for Fate/Zero or the total budget of the series?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Heroic bump.

So, was I the only one crazy enough around here to buy this series on DVD? I'm curious to know what others impressions are of the series on a second run through, presumably on the big(er) screen.

As with most second viewings, the show isn't as impactful as it was the first time. However, the animation and art is just as impressive it was the first time. The performances of the voice actors also still stand out to me (particularly Rider Laughing ). In hindisight, the first episode is a bit of a buzz kill. I guess they thought it was necessary to just info-dump so everyone knew what was going on if they were new to the series. I didn't skip through it, but I think they could have thought of more eloquent methods to get everyone initiated.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion
SEASON 1 (EPISODES 1-13)

I just got done watching this and wanted to post while it's fresh in my mind.

While this show is a definite improvement over the original Fate/Stay Night, it also suffers from some of the same problems. The most obvious improvement is in the look of the show. Although there were a couple of times the CGI was a little obvious (especially in episode 13) overall this is a great looking show. Another big point in its favor is that most of the participants are adults (spoiler[one of the mages is an annoying wuss of a college student and the character of Rin Tohsaka, here 10 years younger than in F/SN, gets some screen time]) which works well given that the show also has a much darker tone.

On the downside, like it's predecessor this show does a lot of info dumping. The first episode is double length and is almost entirely exposition, and it doesn't stop there; to a large extent the entire season feels like a set up. Even worse, there are a couple of episodes which are pretty much filler, including one which is actually titled spoiler["Grail Discussion" on my copy (import BD) which follows "Rin's Adventure", a rather needless episode presumably put in for Rin fanboys who hate that their favorite character gets left on the sidelines]. The show even occasionally falls victim to the practice of having characters state something that the viewer has already seen. In a visual medium the rule is usually "show, don't tell" but anime sometimes tries to do both (at least it's not as bad as in Claymore where it happened so much I thought they were trying to make it so blind people could watch it). In addition, while it did not offend me personally I could imagine some viewers being offended at spoiler[having one of the mages be a serial child-killer and his servant gleefully abetting him in the atrocities. I do kind of wonder if this was really necessary; I don't have a problem with the show having a dark tone but is that a good way to do it?]

All in all, I did find it interesting and am looking forward to watching the rest tomorrow as the consensus seems to be that season 2 is much better than season 1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 52