• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OEL manga jumping the shark

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
First of all, sorry if I have been tossing some digs in. Maybe I've been venting some other frustration through the frustration of trying to clear up a number of points here.

It is a debate of terminology and viewpoints. An older, and I think still valid viewpoint, versus the New Kids on the Block who just don't have the right stuff, baby. I kinda feels like Anne Sullivian trying to communicate to the brilliant mind of Helen Keller. We're just trying to show people a fuller view of the world than the cloud this current marketing has people in. Manga, Helen, manga
mdo7 wrote:
Xenos, you're a comic book fan at heart right. I grew up with DC and Marvel just like you. I love superheroes as much as you do, and I love manga and manga-style art. But this is my last weapon on you.
I was hoping for some sweet sword chucks, but fine.
Quote:
Do you know when Marvel Comic was formed? 1939 (it was then called Timely comic), DC was made in 1934 (as National Allied Publications) . Why did Marvel formed after DC was made? It was because of Superman and Batman that made superhero popular and Marvel decided to cash in on the sucess, Marvel created some superheroes that was somewhat original but emulating the superheroes that DC did. Applying your logics about OEL manga is dirty cheap marketing on manga, are you saying that Marvel sucks because they are using the same marketing schemes for superheroes comic and DC should do the superheroes not Marvel? Saying OEL manga is a cheap marketing on Japanese manga is just like saying that Marvel is doing cheap marketing by creating superheroes that emulate DC Comic superheroes. DC Comic also emulate some Marvel superheroes

Again, sorry if you don't like hearing it, you're talking about a genre, of which manga is not. Manga encompasses many genres. And anyway Marvel didn't quite emulate DC within the genre of superheros. The mentality of Marvel superheros was aimed rather different than DC. They had quite a different take on the superhero genre. Plus between the founding of what we know now as DC, as well as others like Fawcett in the 'golden age' and when Marvel premiered their Silver Age heroes, the superhero genre had died. Westerns, war comics, sci fi and even romance were showing better sales.
Quote:
-Marvel's Hawkeye reminds me too much of DC's Green Arrow.
Because you know a guy with a bow and arrow is soooo original?
Quote:
-Marvel's Deadpool share too much similarity with DC's Deadstroke (aka Slade in Teen Titans series, A little note, Deadstroke was created before Deadpool)
Slade Wilson. Wade Wilson. That was somewhat on purpose. Though moreso that Rob Liefeld is an unoriginal hack who merely copies other characters. Thankfully the later writers and artists made a decent character out of this photocopy. Yet still, mere photocopying is not a good thing. Mere emulation gets you no where. This is a prime example. That you insist that OEL manga just emulates manga is an insult to books you label OEL manga.
Quote:
-Marvel's Kingpin looks like a blatant copy off of DC's Lex Luthor.
Because all bald criminals are the same? WRONG! No, not at all. Never mind that Kingpin was a mobster before Lex became more of one in the 80s. Before the Byrne reboot, Luthor was more of a mad scientist.
Quote:
-Marvel's Dr. Strange is probably Marvel's clone to DC's Dr. Fate (Dr fate came out first then Dr Strange)
Because the mystic and sorcerer is such an original type of character. Might as well start bitching about Merlin, Gandalf, and Dumbledore too.

If you generalize anything enough like you are, they all become one muddled gray boring blur. I suggest you stop doing this and see these characters, and art styles, for the nice variety they are.
Quote:
Even if Marvel did emulate and probably copied-off superheroes. Marvel still had a sucessful marketing, why because of the marketing schemes. Compare that to the OEL manga marketing, as I said if you say OEL manga is just cheap marketing schemes to cash in on Japanese manga.
Noooooooo. They're totally different marketing schemes. You continue to fail to see what we're saying. We're saying the content of the marketing scheme is wrong. Manga is not an art style, life style, format, genre or whatever these yahoos market it as. I could complain about Marvel's marketing and other things, but that would be different because it's a totally different marketing scheme. Your idea of emulation and that there is some correlation between superheros and manga flat out doesn't work.
Quote:
You're saying that Marvel Comic, Dark Horse and other comic book company emulate superheroes and it's cheap marketing schemes. If you're bashing Tokyopop, then you're bashing Marvel because they're emulating things and use cheap marketing to cash in on that fad.

No, you're bashing or saying I'm bashing Marvel because you think they're emulating things. No, they're not. Marvel did something different with a somewhat tired genre and had a renaissance in the 60s. None of these companies empulate superheros. Never mind Dark Horse hardly uses superheros save for a handful. Dark Horse has made quite a name in the horror and crime genres, as well as many others.

Your if:then statement is flat out wrong. What's this we, white man? You're so full of logical fallacies, your argument looks like swiss cheese. If I bash TokyoPop then I bash Marvel? Well I can sure bash Marvel, but not for that. You're so wrapped up in trying to fit the world into these silly little terms like OEL manga and emulation, you simply don't get the actual history and goings on in the medium.

Quote:
Marvel did a lot of good job from not only doing superheroes, but doing other genres like romance (Marvel comic had a lot of influences in Japan), Fantasy, Horror, Western, and other. Sometime I think Marvel should have come up with the Harem, Ecchi, Sports, Shonen-Ai/Yaoi, Shojo-Ai/Yuri genre, it could have makes American Comic book more intresting, they could have come up with Fruit Baskets and Cowboy Bebop if Comic code authority hadn't violate the 1st amendment .
You do know that American genres have been flourishing in the past 20 years right? Especially surging from smaller publishers and the indie crowd, comic books are already more interesting than you think they are. Sure it took some time to get rid of the Comics Code yoke, but it's off. The titles are there. You should look.

Quote:
Anyway, Xenos (that includes you SharinganEyes and Moomintroll), don't try that "you're confusing genre with medium" crap on me. I want you to forget Medium and genre. I want you to look at what Marvel did, and compare to what OEL manga is doing. If Marvel can manage to be sucessful by emulation and this so-called "Cheap marketing". What do you think OEL manga is doing??
Not really. You are getting
Quote:
First it was the upcoming Marvel OEL manga. Then DC team up with anime studio to do Batman: Gotham Knights. Now look what's happening to Marvel superheroes, they're becoming anime. What do you call that Cheap marketing because anime is becoming a fad now.
While it is nice to see these characters redesigned and animated by Japanese studios, it's also sad to see the total failure of the American animation industry and that we have to turn to Japan to output these things.
Quote:
What's next:
-Superman anime with character design by Akira Toriyama.

Isn't DBZ enough? Plus what's wrong with Warner Brothers own animation studios?
Quote:
-Frank Miller and Shinichiro Wantanabe team up and do a Sin City anime (I've encountered a lot of people who would love to see a Sin City anime/manga)

Isn't the actual Sin City 'manga' enough? Plus I'm, sure Shinichiro Wantanabe has enough things to direct and doesn't need Miller. If they were to animate Miller, it should be in his style anyway. (Meanwhile don't get me started on Miller's trip to crazy town lately with The Spirit and such.)
Quote:
Yes all Stereotype=Bad. So the only stereotype you accept is the manga should be made in Japan and nowhere else.

It's not a sterotype. It's the definition of the damn word. Associating a Japanese word with Japan is a stereotype? It's simple common sense. Meanwhile your Calvin Ball rules of manga style are a stereotype. Tell me how they're not a bad stereotype?
Quote:
I'll still buy a OEL manga even if the creator don't call it manga. I'll even buy that upcoming X-men, WOlverine OEL manga to support OEL manga market and my love of Marvel comic.

Really? I wonder. Did you pick up Tsutomu Niehi's 'Wolverine Snikt!'? You know, the Marvel Comic series made by an actual manga-ka. What about Runaways? That has what you would call manga style art. Nevermind some brilliant story telling. Also, is Humerto Ramos, the new artist, making OEL manga? He's been a manga influenced comic artist for years. Yet he also is influenced by South American artists like the late Carlos Megila. So does that impure non-Japanese non-manga influence make him not manga style?

Also, SkyDoll. An amazing book. It's two Italian creators making a comic for a French company which is now being republished by Marvel. They say their art is influenced by manga as well as American and European artists. So what's wrong with calling it a comic here? Of course they call it BD over in France. If they release it in Japan, then it's manga. Really, what's wrong with this very flexible and very free view of the world? Why does everything need some marketing label? Let people be free to read books, dammit! Don't wrangle them all into some OEL manga ghetto. Mr. OEL manga, tear down this wall.
Quote:
Oh really, so why does ANN have a Australian section?
So they can focus on Australian imports of anime because the companies and DVD regions and sale are totally different. What does someone in AUS care about a US release if they're not getting it? This is irrelevant to the conversation.

Tamaria wrote:
Manga was, until Tokyopop and some other people hijacked the word, essentially the entire Japanese comic industry. You can't really emulate something that can be divided in so many genres and artstyles. The people who draw what you call OEL manga were often influenced a handful of comic creators, not the whole Japanese comic industry.

Emulation is not a bad thing, in the beginning atleast, but these new creators still need to grow as artists. I think you'll restrict them if you stick the manga label on them.

Hijacked. Very good word. These fanatics talk about OEL manga as if that's the nature state. No, it's not. It's been taken over by a handful of extremists pursuing their own goal. (Note to self: Do not compare Stu Levy to Bin Laden again.) (Note to self: Don't type these things if they are notes to self.)

OEL manga doesn't make a lot of sense. Manga is the Japanese word for comic. How do you get something simple like that wrong? Saying that it's a style is limiting creators and readers. How do you not see this? Why are we, the ones with sensible traditional definition, the ones limiting things? No! This silly OEL and manga style idea is limiting. Tamaria and others here have a very good point. You have yet to show why manga is a specific style. Yet even if you do, that idea is so much more restricting.

Just say manga is from Japan and anyone anywhere can be influenced by it. Tell me what's wrong with that basic statement?

KyuuA4 wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
You're part of the problem if you think Japanese comics are superiour to other comics.
Do me a favor and count the number of anime/manga conventions globally compared to comic conventions.

So one of the most popular cons in Japan COMIKET.. would that be manga or comics? Again, you're being silly to draw lines in the sand. Comic conventions and manga conventions are the same damn thing. Hell, Comiket is closer to the Baltimore Small Press Expo than Otakon or most anime cons in the US. Those focus more on multimedia than just manga.

Do we need to get out a ruler here? There's no dick measuring contest needed. Manga and comics are the same thing. You're merely making lines in your mind. Yes, the Japanese market sells more comics. Does that make it superior? I dunno, crap like American Idol or Bay's Transformers sells well in America while stuff like Bebop or Full Metal Alchemist and other anime are relatively lower in ratings to a niche audience. Does that mean these anime sucks? Of course not.

Quote:
In short, "OEL manga" (even if you call it something else) is comparable to Japanese manga -- more so than American comics. Therefore, it is manga. Yet, the "OEL" part had to come in because few would accept the idea of manga produced outside Japan.
How is it comparable to Japanese manga? Art style? Reading right to left? Really, these are superficial things, man. There's no good reason not to call them just graphic novels and comics. No good reason. Again, you don't bring definitions and examples. You just bring a stereotype created by cheap marketing that uneducated fans have sadly accepted.

Quote:
Manga's "influence" is that predominant. "Influence" behaves like a pendulum, and it's swinging our way now. If it is enough to alter the American comic industry, then it is enough to claim that manga is "superior". I doubt any company would change their ways -- for fun. It's a market effect.
It's not a pendulum. It's water constantly flowing between two bodies. Manga is not superior to comics. Manga is comics. Anyone who says manga is superior to comics has mental blocks their should take out of their head. They're simply being bigoted against America and can't get over or maybe can't even see their obsession with Japan.

Quote:
Tamaria wrote:

But if we've already put them in the manga-box, they'll have a hard time to get out of it, because people expect them to draw in "manga style".
It's a reasonable expectation because it is what readers demand.

Yet, instead of trying to mimic Japanese story telling, I'd like some good wholesome American (or European) stories ported into the manga visual format. That would be a nice change of pace from the multitude of Japanese based stories in manga format.

What readers? A bunch of uneducated kids with an unhealthy obsession with Japan? If they truly love the medium of manga, which is the same medium of comics, then they need to grow up and forget this compulsion to need to hear Japanese to think a book is good.

Also, now you say manga is a format? Ha. Geez. Keep moving those goalposts, Calvin. Sure, doing that playing with your pet tiger is fun. Yet in a conversation about a very real artistic medium and market, it just doesn't work.

Also, if Calvin and Hobbes is a comic, is it inferior to manga? Does Calvin and Hobbes suck? Or you wanna argue that Calvin and Hobbes is manga because it's good? You never replied to that.

Also, if you think that Aoi House is manga and something like Crying Freeman is not, well, see the latter image for my reaction. You make me sad.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Dum dee dum dum, still waiting for that definition, dum dee dum dum~
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Xenos wrote:
It is a debate of terminology and viewpoints. An older, and I think still valid viewpoint, versus the New Kids on the Block who just don't have the right stuff, baby. I kinda feels like Anne Sullivian trying to communicate to the brilliant mind of Helen Keller. We're just trying to show people a fuller view of the world than the cloud this current marketing has people in. Manga, Helen, manga

Xenos, just because you don't like the marketing of OEL manga doesn't mean you have to take it out to other people and the whole world. Not many people will agree with you. Do you think you can get many people to agree with you?

Quote:
Because the mystic and sorcerer is such an original type of character. Might as well start bitching about Merlin, Gandalf, and Dumbledore too.

If you generalize anything enough like you are, they all become one muddled gray boring blur. I suggest you stop doing this and see these characters, and art styles, for the nice variety they are.

uh, DC and Marvel were rivals for a long time. They sometime would allow crossovers with their superheroes. Marvel could have saw Dr Fate, and probably "copy-off" and made a better Dr. Fate and thus calling him Dr. Strange.

Quote:
Noooooooo. They're totally different marketing schemes. You continue to fail to see what we're saying. We're saying the content of the marketing scheme is wrong. Manga is not an art style, life style, format, genre or whatever these yahoos market it as. I could complain about Marvel's marketing and other things, but that would be different because it's a totally different marketing scheme. Your idea of emulation and that there is some correlation between superheros and manga flat out doesn't work.

Could you explain that in a better detail? I like to see if you're right for that one.

Quote:
You do know that American genres have been flourishing in the past 20 years right? Especially surging from smaller publishers and the indie crowd, comic books are already more interesting than you think they are. Sure it took some time to get rid of the Comics Code yoke, but it's off. The titles are there. You should look.

Well, Marvel could probably emulate the genre (they don't need to emulate manga-style drawing). I wouildn't mind seeing a Harem genre comic book from Marvel in traditional comic book drawing. That would be intresting for me, as I never seen a harem genre comic book from Marvel. It wouldn't hurt to emulate the genre the Japanese created.

Quote:
While it is nice to see these characters redesigned and animated by Japanese studios, it's also sad to see the total failure of the American animation industry and that we have to turn to Japan to output these things.

It's not quite a failure, I do love Bruce Trimm animation and other DCAU. But sometime they want to try something new. DC started it first with the Batman: Gotham Knight. After that, Marvel entered the "superheroes into anime" marketing.

Quote:
Isn't DBZ enough? Plus what's wrong with Warner Brothers own animation studios?

uh, after Marvel announce the Iron Man and Wolverine anime stuff. I think Warner Brother and DC Comic may respond to that by probably having Superman going anime style. Toriyama said that Superman was the influence hence that both of them escape from their doomed planet and both Goku and Kal-el father warn their people about the planet being in danger. It's likely that DC/CMX would want Toriyama to do the character design.

Quote:
Isn't the actual Sin City 'manga' enough? Plus I'm, sure Shinichiro Wantanabe has enough things to direct and doesn't need Miller. If they were to animate Miller, it should be in his style anyway. (Meanwhile don't get me started on Miller's trip to crazy town lately with The Spirit and such.)

It's a joking scenario. I was joking about Shinichiro Wantanabe and Frank Miller teaming up and do a Sin City anime. Even though it would be kind of cool to see Shinichiro Wantanabe to do this. But seeing DC and Marvel entered the anime market. Dark Horse may think about this and probably want to do the same, Sin City is one of the most recongnizable comic book. A pal of mine show me the comic book, it does look intresting. Saw the movie, love how they make the movie feel like a comic book. It's probably likely that Dark Horse may choose Sin City to make it into anime, not only to cash in on this market but to tie-in with the movie sequel. Oh about Sin City being a manga, it looks more Film Noir then a manga. It wasn't meant to be a manga. It's black and white because of film noir influence.

Quote:
It's not a sterotype. It's the definition of the damn word. Associating a Japanese word with Japan is a stereotype? It's simple common sense. Meanwhile your Calvin Ball rules of manga style are a stereotype. Tell me how they're not a bad stereotype?

I'm not promoting a stereotype, you're taking that out of context. There's nothing wrong with promoting manga-style art in America. Even if they make a OEL manga and they don't label it as manga. It would be obvious to many people it still a OEL manga or a global manga. Even if they put OEL manga in the comic book section not in the manga section, people would still identify it as a manga because of it's drawing style. the author doesn't have to call it OEL manga, take Miki Falls for example, Mark Crilley didn't called it manga. But other people including this website still called Miki Falls a manga.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/movies/news/article_1421390.php/Paramount_and_Brad_Pitt_go_manga_for_%91Miki_Falls%92

I met other people who didn't like the name OEL manga, but they still call it a manga. They're not Japanophile, they're comic book lover just like you. They don't say Tokyopop sucks or something like that. They really don't mind the marketing.

Quote:
Also, SkyDoll. An amazing book. It's two Italian creators making a comic for a French company which is now being republished by Marvel. They say their art is influenced by manga as well as American and European artists. So what's wrong with calling it a comic here? Of course they call it BD over in France. If they release it in Japan, then it's manga. Really, what's wrong with this very flexible and very free view of the world? Why does everything need some marketing label? Let people be free to read books, dammit! Don't wrangle them all into some OEL manga ghetto. Mr. OEL manga, tear down this wall.

They don't have to call it a manga. But other people will, I can call it a manga because of it's drawing. Don't ask me what's manga-style. I know you know what it is. I told you it, you just deny it.

As a matter of fact, Xenos, keep continuing this debate. I'll contact the moderator and have this topic close down. We seen to not reach a agreement on who's correct and you just use the same information. Well Xenos, let see how the OEL manga market do in the next 10 years. If that OEL manga trends grow, then you'll be sorry you'll ever argue with us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm not promoting a stereotype, you're taking that out of context. There's nothing wrong with promoting manga-style art in America. Even if they make a OEL manga and they don't label it as manga. It would be obvious to many people it still a OEL manga or a global manga. Even if they put OEL manga in the comic book section not in the manga section, people would still identify it as a manga because of it's drawing style.
Then what's this manga style? Isn't it pigeonholing all Japanese comics to say it looks like a certain thing? Aren't you saying Japanese comics look like such and such, and that's the Japanese comic drawing style, that which defines and contains all Japanese comics as a medium? What else is that besides a stereotype?

Quote:
They don't have to call it a manga. But other people will, I can call it a manga because of it's drawing. Don't ask me what's manga-style. I know you know what it is. I told you it, you just deny it.
No, you've still yet to actually define it after 30 pages. I'm not even going to bother pointing out all the flaws in your arguments or countering them at this point. You just refuse to read. Nor are we going to argue the very tenets of your view for you. That's your job.

I'm waiting for that definition. C'mon.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Xenos, keep continuing this debate. I'll contact the moderator and have this topic close down. We seen to not reach a agreement on who's correct and you just use the same information. Well Xenos, let see how the OEL manga market do in the next 10 years. If that OEL manga trends grow, then you'll be sorry you'll ever argue with us.
So, you who call us racists and terrorists are going to try to lock this discussion down when you haven't even given us a definition for that which is central to your beliefs? That's running away. Not to mention that you're still not reading what we write but instead assuming what we write.

What do we want?
Definition!
When do we want it?
Now!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Had a lot of complaints from various users in the past couple of months. Personally, I just left the thread open despite the reports. You all looked like you were having fun... But after reading a few pages and receiving a few more complaints, it looks like this thread's time is up.

Everyone loses.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 52 of 52