• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
kenshin101 wrote:
I want an apology for that, seriously. I'm not the one who started the ratings thing, someone else did. If you go check my first post I was telling someone that different people have different opinions...that's it. Then someone else responded and they were the ones who brought ratings into it, not me.

The ratings discussion is quite a bit off topic and leads to a lot of flaming and attacks. The discussion did go on for a while, yes, but after a mod locked the thread for the ratings discussion (before unlocking it), we immediately switched to another topic of discussion since the discussion about ratings would only lead to more flaming and attacking and perhaps even a permanent lock (notice how the discussion about ratings stopped all of a sudden before you brought the subject back up?).

PantsGoblin didn't mean that in an offensive way, it's just that a ratings discussion doesn't really belong here. He's not blaming or reprimanding you, just informing you that the best place to ensure more ratings discussion would be elsewhere and not in this thread.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Kyon/Itsuki yaoi. Conceivable within this reality or theoretically impossible? Discuss.

I waited a while but no one has posted this picture, so here it is:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
kenshin101 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
@kenshin101: If you want to discuss those rating issues, feel free to open your own thread on the subject in the forums. Don't post it in this thread.

I want an apology for that, seriously. I'm not the one who started the ratings thing, someone else did. If you go check my first post I was telling someone that different people have different opinions...that's it. Then someone else responded and they were the ones who brought ratings into it, not me. To have you more or less tell me to shut up about it is confusing really. I mean why would you say that to me, the only reason I put any sort of ratings into my post is because someone else, who was responding to my first post BTW, put them up first and I decided to throw one in too. Just to show them that I am not against them and think that they're right. All I want is an apology, I wouldn't be asking for one if I didn't think I deserved one.

Patachu had already tried to change the subject and you attempted to convert it back. That's the only reason I brought you up. I would have said the same thing to anybody else who tried to go into the ratings issue again.

It did sound a bit rude and demanding though, which was unintentional. I was just puting it plainly. I'll apologize for that.

And hopefully this is the end of this off topic discussion about an off topic discussion (doubly off topic). If you have anything else to say PM me.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
dormcat's post wrote:
the image that will keep fighterholic awake all night

I.....didn't.....have.....to.....see.....that.
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
From Anime News Services:

Quote:
The official Haruhi Suzumiya animation website has updated with an unusual item towards the bottom of the main page. "Summer Vacation Assignment" (Natsuyasumi No Kadai) gives a list of things for SOS members to do during their summer break, they include Camping, Pool, Bon Festival Dance, Fireworks, Celestial Observation, Batting Practice, Insect Collecting and Testing Courage. Even stranger, at the bottom this page is a hidden code. Hold the left mouse button and pan across the center of the white box at the bottom of this page. You will highlight some text, which translated reads "Your Summer Vacation [followed by random number sequence]". Could these be hints of a coming anime sequel TV series? The cover of the just released September, 2006 edition of Japanese Newtype Magazine featured the SOS leader for the first time along with the text "Haruhi Suzumiya Returns".

This might be the good news us Haruhi fans have been looking for.

The mere fact that the website is still being updated with more than just merchandise info is a good sign. And for those who know the novels... Well, we can say this little "Summer Vacation project" ties into the Haruhi storyline.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
*Observation*

At moment, this thread seems to be the third biggest thread at ANN ever. Only two sticky threads are bigger (the second only by about 5 posts) and I doubt any non-sticky threads got anywhere near this big.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, which is the reason I did not want the thread to be locked. It's in the "legendary" status now. It must live until it becomes the largest thread on ANN. I will try my best to keep it alive until then, and possibly after. If we can keep it alive until a sequel is announced, I'm sure it will become the biggest.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think its already sealed its legendary status considering that the only threads larger or coming close to this one are sticky threads created to prevent redundant threads.
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Kyon/Itsuki yaoi. Conceivable within this reality or theoretically impossible? Discuss.

I waited a while but no one has posted this picture, so here it is:

This picture brings up something else I've noticed: The dearth of good pictures of Kyon. I understand that most people are obsessing over the three female characters, and while I understand their appeal, what's up with all the Kyon hatin'? Personally he's my favorite character from the show, and he also plays a very large part in the story (hellooo, saving the world, anyone?), yet all the pictures I've found are of the three girls (not to mention one very disturbing nude photo of Nagato Shocked). And then there's this picture, which is cool, but it doesn't really reflect the context of the series very well. **sigh** Maybe this is a sign that I'm supposed to learn all that computer stuff about finding screencaps and making my own wallpapers Laughing (if you knew how un-technologically inclined I am, you'd be laughing too).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to this thread, I haven't seen too many other Haruhi Suzumiya threads at all, which tells you how popular this series is.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
This picture brings up something else I've noticed: The dearth of good pictures of Kyon. I understand that most people are obsessing over the three female characters, and while I understand their appeal, what's up with all the Kyon hatin'? Personally he's my favorite character from the show, and he also plays a very large part in the story (hellooo, saving the world, anyone?), yet all the pictures I've found are of the three girls (not to mention one very disturbing nude photo of Nagato Shocked). And then there's this picture, which is cool, but it doesn't really reflect the context of the series very well. **sigh** Maybe this is a sign that I'm supposed to learn all that computer stuff about finding screencaps and making my own wallpapers Laughing (if you knew how un-technologically inclined I am, you'd be laughing too).

There's a simple answer to this really. When guys look at pictures of females they find attractive, the same parts of the brain activate as when people do heroin. It's true! So, while Kyon is also my favorite character from the series, I'd still rather be looking at pics of Nagato or any of the other girls from the show. Considering it's mostly guys drawing the pictures... it shouldn't really be surprising that Kyon (and all male characters) get a vastly disproportionate amount of fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
kenshin101 wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:
But giving this anything lower than a 3 is ludicrous.

That is your opinion, I don't think this is true, if someone think it's the worst ever then that's their opinion too. You can't just go around accusing people of sabotage just because you think it deserves better. Here's a prime example, go to the encyclopedia; click on the top ten anime; scroll down to worst rated; check that anime's ratings out. You will find that even the "worst" anime has a masterpiece rating, that's because people have their own view on everything. You're just as bad as he is if you really think that it automatically deserves a 3, because he obviously feels it automatically deserves a 0. It's weird how two totally different people can be so much alike, it truly is irony.

Yeah, but in the majority of these cases, people don't actually think it's the worst ever; they just dislike the series, are upset that it's rated so high, and automatically vote it the 'worst ever.'(Perhaps I'm too forgiving, but I have yet to rate anything the worst ever, because I usually find some redeeming quality even in the crappiest series, so this sort of thing annoys me.) And I'm guessing that many of these raters haven't seen most of the series (I'm not completely opposed to rating something before you're finished, but you should at least watch the majority of the series before judging it). Kind of like how a bunch of protesters created IMDB accounts to vote Brokeback Mountain a '1' without having seen it... erm, I'm getting really off topic.

In other news... what's so great about Mikuru, huh? I understand that she serves as Haruhi's foil/causes her jealousy (but looking a few posts above, it appears that Koizumi could have done the job as well Wink), but her character is really lame. Okay, so she's small and has big boobs, but boobs are really overrated anyhow; they just end up hurting your back and making it really hard to find clothes that fit well (and in her case, it would be especially hard, since Japanese clothing is so darn small!). Well, that rant was pretty stupid, but I'm pretty tired right now and my logic is not at its finest.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
dormcat's post wrote:
the image that will keep fighterholic awake all night

I.....didn't.....have.....to.....see.....that.

Then I guess you don't need to see this either.

Anyway, I think the deal with the lack of Sexy Kyon Pics is that, in any another fandom, he'd be a much-beloved lead character, but there's this other lead character who's just so instantly charismatic that she overshadows him. So Haruhi gets all the attention.

Plus, Kyon's charisma comes more from how he talks rather than a distinctive look or how he acts, so he's less visually inspiring/appealing. Confused
kenshin101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Patachu had already tried to change the subject and you attempted to convert it back. That's the only reason I brought you up. I would have said the same thing to anybody else who tried to go into the ratings issue again.

It did sound a bit rude and demanding though, which was unintentional. I was just puting it plainly. I'll apologize for that.

And hopefully this is the end of this off topic discussion about an off topic discussion (doubly off topic). If you have anything else to say PM me.

True, but that wasn't my intention, I was just replying to someone else.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Dooly noted.

Kyon lacks sexy pictures because there are other characters that are considered sexier...like Haruhi and Mikuru. What do you expect, it's sexy anime girls...girls will always win for anime. So basically...the girls just steal the spotlight. At least that's what I think.

Also, I found out that there was a radio drama. What's up with that?
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
Yea, several animes have been coming up with radio dramas, even Lemon Angel Project (tuned in one night, couldn't understand almost all of what they said, but it sounded funny Anime hyper).

The big deal with Mikuru is just that, she's small and has big boobs, that's why Haruhi got her into the club if you remember Razz It's just one of those things guys like, the small, defensless girl that looks good, but always needs help. Now, I'm not saying that guys think that all girls are weak, but rather most guys want a girl that they can protect, it's one of those instinctive things. That's also why more guys would prefer a little sister to a litle brother cause even though they're family they feel like they should protect them (of course, this role is reversed in Midori no Hibi, but that's to be expected in some animes).

Another quick reply to Ivory on the ratings, don't worry too much, if you look at the bars those 45 worst evers have the same effect as those 13 so-sos since the people that put worst ever aren't as trustworthy ;D

So, when are we going to bring up the Mikuru v Yuki contest again? It kind of just faded from everyone's minds. Well, for those that don't remember, it's not fighting, but which do you think is more attractive. Personally, I prefer Yuki, Mikuru may be one for the bulk of guys, but Yuki seems more like my kind of person (if the original contest was Haruhi v Yuki v Mikuru, it would be Haruhi and Yuki for a tie, I personally don't like how submissive Mikuru is to Haruhi). I'll make an addition to what I said above, another reason why Mikuru is, well, Mikuru, is that she's one of the type of people that most guys like, the other two being the enthusiastic Haruhi and the silent Yuki. You'll tend to see more guys prefer one of these three types of women, which is why they are what they are.

Now on to the Kyon discussion, as it was said, Kyon's character isn't as appealing as the girls, his main role is the narrator and Haruhi's boyfriend that saves the world even if she won't admit it (would hyphenate it, but it would run across the screen and make the post wider). Since the girls are more appealing (even to some girls) you'll find more pics of them and several Haruhi x Yuki/Mikuru doujinshi (bodies out of proportions, ugh), maybe one Kyon x Itsuki doujinshi, and a few Kyon x Haruhi/Yuki/Mikuru doujinshi. Just because the lead is a lead, doesn't neccessarily make them appealing for that kind of stuff Wink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 213