• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Publish Sailor Moon, Sailor V Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
Ponderingly, I think this will do just OK to good. I mean, the nostalgia fans will definitely pick it up, but I'm not sure how many new fans it'll garner. Definitely not like back in the 90's when little girls were picking it up, and it was all the rage in Canada, and the Barenaked Ladies were at the top singing about it. I just think Sailor Moon's time had come and passed (and this coming from someone who was in a SM mailing list before most of you probably even heard of it). It's hard to capture lightning in a bottle twice and with the same lightning (it's the same old original manga, not new addition).

manga1 wrote:
Oh yea, finaly some good news in the world, and out of japan as well as that man they pulled out of the rubble from the earthquake after 8 days alive.

That story turned out to be false. They thought he was there for 8 days. Turns out, he was staying at an evacuation center, visited his ruined house, and fell asleep there when the rescue workers found him.

manga1 wrote:

I did not think we would ever see any sailor moon products in the states after Naoko refused to allow stuff to be licensed back in 04,

That's not Takeuchi; that's Toei. Back when Sailor Moon was airing all over the world, Takeuchi was asked if she has any influence on the animation side of the business - she said she has none.

Conan-san wrote:
In not so many words, Toei were NOT on their A game when Sailor Moon Stars was being adapted (It was also when GT was on air too, so that should give some indication).

Which is a shame too, first seven episodes of Stars are easily some of the best of the whole series and could have served as a brilliant finalé if Cloverway had just thought things through for the US/CAN adaptation.

Cloverway is Toei's Toronto subsidiary. So if Toei wasn't on their 'A' game, neither would Cloverway be.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
#$%@ YES!!!!!!

Both Sailor Moon and the Sailor V manga to boot! I as many have the orignal 18 volumes from mixxine/tokyopop but if this is an unflipped version I'll be getting them Smile But I have to wait all the way until September!? I also hope that in this version they'll keep the original Japanese names of our main characters.
kikyounokanashii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
PUMPED about this, I can't even.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
This is great news! Hopefully they do a better job translating this than Tokyopop did.

No kidding.That is one thing I hope dont happen with this re release.

Though what I am really hoping for is that they'll finally be a relicensing fo the anime series and hopefully an uncut english dub version of season 1, R ( even though I still like their DIC counterparts ) and especially the Sailor Stars and hopefully a better dub of S and Super S cause the Pioneer version of the series ( not the movies ) were really unwatchable ,even for a hard core dubber like me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Utena remastered AND Sailor Moon + Sailor V?

Best year of my anime fan life. Only thing that can make it better is a Cardcaptor Sakura anime rescue.

I was thinking the same thing, I plan to buy all four volumes of the Dark Horse reprint from my local comic shop, supports them, supports the industry and maybe I can finally own the second half of the anime on DVD (I do actually have the first of the two boxset releases, and it's one of the most treasured items in my DVD collection). I'm still trying to decide whether to buy the Utena remaster:

Con side: I already own the entire CPM release and while it doesn't look great, it's good enough to enjoy the show, the set is limited edition and I don't want to deprive someone who's never seen it before of a copy, and it will cost money which I could spend on something I don't already have.

Pro side: I'm guessing it'll look and sound better than the previous CPM release, if my older set ever gets irreparably damaged I'll have a replacement, the price is reasonable and I can probably get it discounted, the art for the new set is gorgeous and the release will probably be of a high standard all round since it's Nozomi, I think it has new special features including episode commentaries that weren't on the previous release (I'm only interested if they're from the original version's staff, if it's commentary by the dub team, I don't care)?

I can't remember whether they're including the commentaries from the previous release, that will certainly influence my decision.

Anyway, back to Sailor Moon! I'm overjoyed at this news, I don't own any of the older release, I'll buy the first volume of this new release in September and if I like it I'll get the rest (I've read a few chapters, I guess I'm just saying that if I'm bored by the end of the first volume then i'll have to pass it up, I really like what I've read so far though).
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
ABOUT TIME!!!

Well, seriously, I've been wanting a proper release since forever!! I never got all the Mixx versions because they were so darn expensive ($23AUD a pop). Now with internet shops being so widespread, I'll be able to get all of them!

I have all but vols 1 & 2 of the Japanese reprint - hoping the translation will help me to learn more kanji and vocab! Anime smile
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
This is wonderful news. I've been telling everyone to stay positive and be patient because it would eventually come back. Glad to see that it's finally happening.

There's something I want to bring up though. I'm not trying to bust anyone out. Oh, who am I kidding. That's exactly what I want to do. Justin Sevakis said on at least 3 occasions how we should give up and abandon all hope because Sailor Moon would never return to the US "unless the stars move". After those bold statements, can we expect backtracking, denial of making those remarks in the first place, or actually owning up to his arrogance of jumping the gun and acting like he knew everything?

http://community.funimation.com/fb.aspx?m=333491
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:

There's something I want to bring up though. I'm not trying to bust anyone out. Oh, who am I kidding. That's exactly what I want to do. Justin Sevakis said on at least 3 occasions how we should give up and abandon all hope because Sailor Moon would never return to the US "unless the stars move". After those bold statements, can we expect backtracking, denial of making those remarks in the first place, or actually owning up to his arrogance of jumping the gun and acting like he knew everything?

http://community.funimation.com/fb.aspx?m=333491

Shouldn't that be something we just let drop? I believe it was in reference to the anime, anyway, and thus he would know the inside scoop about what's happening with that media. Not that the anime can't return; anything's possible. Just rather unlikely.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
This is awesome. Now I've just gotta figure out what I'm going to do with my full Tokyopop and Kodansha Japan reprint sets.
Honey_Zero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Oh my god!
A bunch of CLAMP re-prints and now a Sailor Moon re-print!
What more can I ask for....Oh yeah....A re-print of Pet Shop of Horrors... Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Dare I hope futher for the possiblity that the Sailor Moon Art Books would also be released here...and be translated into English as well...
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Thank you so very much, Kodansha! Moon power, yes!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Cloverway is Toei's Toronto subsidiary. So if Toei wasn't on their 'A' game, neither would Cloverway be.
To be clear I ment Sailor Moon Season 5 was pretty awful all said (it's a great 13 episode series, too bad it's some 36 episodes and contains things that Toei don't have the balls to release in most countries outside of Asia) and that Cloverway could have done themselves a favour by adapting the first seven episodes of Stars for Toonami/YTV and then calling it a day.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news! Sailor Moon is one of my all time favorite series and I'm glad to see that the manga is coming back! I'm just hoping now that the anime won't be too far behind. Perhaps we may get a surprise at AX or Otakon! Wink
rainbowrabbit wrote:

If the anime does get out of licensing hell, then Justin would either:
A) Keep his mouth shut about his past remarks
B) Own up to his past remarks
C) Point the finger of blame at his sources and play the victim
RestlessOne wrote:
Shouldn't that be something we just let drop? I believe it was in reference to the anime, anyway, and thus he would know the inside scoop about what's happening with that media. Not that the anime can't return; anything's possible. Just rather unlikely.

Well, when you consider that the remarks were made online and made its rounds across all major anime fansites, this isn't exactly something that people are just going to let drop. Anything you say on the Internet can be used against you and considering that everyone was told to "give up" and "abandon all hope", it just came across as demeaning to the fandom. Don't be surprised if there is going to be a lot of "IN YOUR FACE, SEVAKIS!!!" going around the fansites should the anime get licensed again. The fandom, especially in Canada, is bigger than anyone even thinks.
enurtsol wrote:
That's not Takeuchi; that's Toei. Back when Sailor Moon was airing all over the world, Takeuchi was asked if she has any influence on the animation side of the business - she said she has none.

If she has no influence, then why all the hush-hush secrecy? Why didn't FUNimation just rescue the license years ago considering that they're in good terms with Toei? I have a hard time believing that.
Celes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
This is an amazing day for Sailor Moon fans! I've always been afraid to re-read my Tokyopop manga too much because it will fall apart, and since I own the Japanese re-releases I always thought it would be so amazing to see them in English. I can't wait until September! OMG, and I get to read Sailor V's story too, at long last! I've never read scanlations and I can't read Japanese, so it will be a totally new experience for me. Pretty awesome for someone who never thought she would see anything new from Sailor Moon for the rest of her lifetime! =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10