• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawyer: Some One Piece Downloaders Settle Out of Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somestupidloser

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see anime series being streamed on Youtube, but I'm not a fan of Crunchyroll and their whole "premium" bullcrap. What's more appealing to the viewer, a legit stream that forces you to wait a week, or an illegal stream of the same quality for little to no wait and less commercials?

Of course the Youtube comparable is probably not valid since I'm not sure if they get any stream as recent as CR does. Commercials are great, the wait however, is not.

On the main subject though? Settling out of court made the whole "don't illegally download stuff" thing essentially a lot less scarier than what the RIAA will tell you. I always thought as a kid growing up that the huge damages awarded by courts was the standard until much later when a friend got busted and settled out for around $500 USD.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
No they will depend entirely on the Japanese to buy anime, then bitch endlessly about the shrinking number of anime, anime budget shrinking, and how anime companies aren't experimenting anymore.

Haha, what happens when stupid Japanese otaku wise up and refuse to be swindled any longer into paying obscene prices for anime? Laughing

I was wondering this the other day, but better yet...what will happen when they all die because good lord knows otaku don't procreate.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
No they will depend entirely on the Japanese to buy anime, then bitch endlessly about the shrinking number of anime, anime budget shrinking, and how anime companies aren't experimenting anymore.

Haha, what happens when stupid Japanese otaku wise up and refuse to be swindled any longer into paying obscene prices for anime? Laughing

I was wondering this the other day, but better yet...what will happen when they all die because good lord knows otaku don't procreate.

Otaku don't replicate through procreation. Becoming an otaku is a natural occurrence for anyone given the right(or wrong?) amounts of apathy, moe, coka-cola, and Kleenex.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, one day Tokyo residents may suddenly find themselves overrun by a shambling army of human-daimakura hybrids, squeeling, "Uguu~! Uguu~!" Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Otaku don't replicate through procreation. Becoming an otaku is a natural occurrence for anyone given the right(or wrong?) amounts of apathy, moe, coka-cola, and Kleenex.

Ya guys are too funny. Laughing
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
Half of you guys fail to realize there's an inherent problem with your argument. A few people have tried to point this out.

Many people do not perceive taking DIGITAL media as stealing. They are not stealing a hard copy. The original owner is not losing his work. He still has it. This debate has been going on forever.

The next problem people here don't appear to understand. I think Petrified Jello (please correct me if I'm wrong) was alluding to this: If a company is losing money from people "stealing" then they need to find a better way to sell their product. Or a new means. Times change, people. When times change, businesses can do one of two things. Stay the same, and go out of business. Or ADAPT and continue making profits. Quit trying to sell me crappy shit for ridiculous prices.

I also don't know why you guys continually seem to think the sky is falling because people use fansubs. It is not. Crunchyroll seems to be doing rather well. People that fansubbed converted to Crunchyroll even though it charges. Why is that?

You see, a decent majority of fansubbers use fansubs for the quality. They feel other options aren't the best. They may not buy Blu Rays because they think they are overpriced. If the consumer feels a good is overpriced, then that means the business is cheating the CONSUMER. What can the consumer do? Not buy. The consumer will only buy overpriced items if they have no choice, I.E. its there only option. When the prices are driven down to a reasonable level, and they have extras near the same, the consumer WILL BUY.

The only people who aren't going to buy the product after this happens weren't going to buy the product anyway. What do I mean by this? Well, businesses aren't losing any money because there wasn't any money in these people to begin with. They will NEVER buy it. Try to understand this concept.

This ridiculous "the sky is falling" attitude is getting old. Hollywood thought it was the end of the world when Blockbuster came out. What happened? Oh yeah, they still make tons of money.

Hollywood thought it was the end of the world when people started "illegally" downloading movies (Oh wait, this is the same problem facing the anime industry isn't it?). What happened? Consumers continued to buy because Theaters offer an added bonus worth the price.

Netflix came. End of the world. Oh wait...

Video games? Same problem. Oh wait, what's happening now? Even though illegal downloads are more plentiful then ever, guess what? The game industry is making even more money then ever. Continually. Every year.

Businesses bitch about every little thing that makes them need to treat consumers better. Used Game market? Perfect example. Business are trying there hardest to squash this market because they feel buying used games is a form of stealing money from the developers. They are fine with this changing, even though the Constitution itself protects our rights to sell the shit we buy.

So basically, the industry needs to adapt. If they don't they DESERVE to go out of business. It is extremely easy to say that the prices of Blu-Rays right now = company's stealing from the CONSUMER.

What you need to be doing is thanking these fansubbers for existing. They are helping drive down prices and forcing innovation among distributors. They are, in a sense, creating competition for the distributors. They help make sure there isn't a monopoly where companies can TAKE as much money as they please from Consumers.

Also, quit complaining about the "artists" not getting paid. First of, Funimation =/= artists. They are a business and are selling a product. They aren't drawing or writing. Japan is.

Let's also get this straight. Artists aren't getting paid because the companies are taking the share the artists deserve and giving it to their over-payed Executives. Let's not forget these are the same people using underhanded, morally questionable methods to make more money.

I'm saying this as an "artist". It's slightly sickening when people don't even understand the real situation. It's been like this for years people. Wake the hell up and stop trying to blame others. The only time artists make money is when they go in business for themselves or when they have enough Power, Ability, and major Connections to force the businesses to increase their share of revenue. What do I mean by this? I mean people like Spielberg. I'm tired of people speaking for "us" like they know what's going on.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:

Many people do not perceive taking DIGITAL media as stealing. They are not stealing a hard copy. The original owner is not losing his work.

Well, loss of revenue. But calculating that is another story.

~~EpiC~~ wrote:

Video games? Same problem. Oh wait, what's happening now? Even though illegal downloads are more plentiful then ever, guess what? The game industry is making even more money then ever. Continually. Every year.

Though ya have to go thru more hoops to play hacked games, e.g. a working crack, a serial that works, online logins, modding Xbox/PS3/Wii/NDS/PSP/etc. that you have to keep updated in the mod vs OS patch arms race. Plus a lot of gamers now like to play online with other gamers, but the only sure way to keep their accounts from bans is not to get caught modding. So frequent online gamers and regular people would rather just pay than bother with all that. Besides, much of the money are made on DLCs and online fees now anyways. Compared to all that, anime is so easy to download. (I do all of those BTW, so I know. Laughing )

~~EpiC~~ wrote:

What you need to be doing is thanking these fansubbers for existing. They are helping drive down prices and forcing innovation among distributors. They are, in a sense, creating competition for the distributors. They help make sure there isn't a monopoly where companies can TAKE as much money as they please from Consumers.

Or things could go the other way, by lowering and lowering the production values of the anime. Like how all goods are now made in China: to keep costs down. Anime will be made by the cheapest labor, cheapest talents, or cheapest materials. Laughing

~~EpiC~~ wrote:

Also, quit complaining about the "artists" not getting paid. First of, Funimation =/= artists. They are a business and are selling a product. They aren't drawing or writing. Japan is.

Depends. The Japanese artists already get money upfront from the license fees. In addition, if the contracts call for royalties, then the more units sold or more sales revenue, the more the artists get paid further. This becomes more important if the artists only get a small percentage per unit sold, so a lot of units have to be sold.

~~EpiC~~ wrote:

Lastly, artists aren't getting paid because the company is taking the share the artist should get for themselves. I'm saying this as an "artist". It's been like this for years people. Wake the hell up and stop trying to blame others. The only time artists make money is when they go in business for themselves or have enough Power and Ability to force the businesses to increase their share of revenue.

You're right. But this happens in Japan too, so it happens whether you buy from the Japanese or from foreign licensees.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Or things could go the other way, by lowering and lowering the production values of the anime. Like how all goods are now made in China: to keep costs down. Anime will be made by the cheapest labor, cheapest talents, or cheapest materials. Laughing

Yet we still get outstanding animation and art as seen in plenty of series from this Spring.

I think there's some gap in that logic. I don't think the shows from 2007 were that superior to what we get nowadays. And I'd go as far as to say that back then we had a lot more crap released each year. At least I find nowadays' worst shows somewhat watchable, but the worst ones back then were pure garbage.

Perhaps we could start distinguishing between harsh economy and fiction?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
~~EpiC~~ wrote:

They are helping drive down prices and forcing innovation among distributors. They are, in a sense, creating competition for the distributors. They help make sure there isn't a monopoly where companies can TAKE as much money as they please from Consumers.

Yet we still get outstanding animation and art as seen in plenty of series from this Spring.

It's still only a possible future scenario right now. Gullible Japanese otaku still continue to pay obscene prices that keep their local industry afloat. Once those prices start coming down, watch out. Laughing
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
enurtsol
Well, loss of revenue. But calculating that is another story

Well, the reason revenue is lost is because the consumers decided to go elsewhere because they were getting ripped off by the prices. Fix the problem and most of these people will begin buying once more.
The people who "Steal" and stay "stealing" once the problem has been resolved, were never going to buy anyway. Thus, there can b no loss of revenue from these people.

Crunchyroll is one example of this. At first fansubs. Dvds were overpriced. Also, people wanted their anime at the same time as Japan. People went to fansubs. What happened? Crunchyroll innovated. People could get a bunch of anime cheaper than DVDs, in good quality, and roughly the same time as Japan. The companies were reporting roughly a 60% decrease in fansubs usage right? Fansub groups closed down voluntarily right?

Figure something more out and Fansub usage could decrease by 80%.

Quote:
enurtsol wrote:
Though ya have to go thru more hoops to play hacked games, e.g. a working crack, a serial that works, online logins, modding Xbox/PS3/Wii/NDS/PSP/etc. that you have to keep updated in the mod vs OS patch arms race. Plus a lot of gamers now like to play online with other gamers, but the only sure way to keep their accounts from bans is not to get caught modding. So frequent online gamers and regular people would rather just pay than bother with all that. Besides, much of the money are made on DLCs and online fees now anyways. Compared to all that, anime is so easy to download. (I do all of those BTW, so I know. Laughing )

Well, this is part of the point I was making. At first, people downloaded illegally when they were fed up with the price. . The companies figured this out. They made it 100x harder to hack. Hacking curved for a bit. Then it started up harder as people realized the prices STILL weren't going down.

So People hacked because games were too expensive. It's okay, someone saw an opportunity. This created a new billion dollar industry, used game, via GameStop. This "stealing" has created 100s of 1000s of jobs now. This has helped bolster the economy. So stealing creates innovation, which then creates benefits for everyone and the economy. Does it really seem like a bad thing after you give it some thought? No, not really.

To combat Game Stop and illegal downloads (to a lesser extent than GS) consoles innovated by allowing games to be downloaded via Live. These games are much cheaper and are nearly impossible to hack. I don't quite remember them creating lawsuits against 1000s of people. Instead they just locked their Xbox and banned their account forever. Again this "stealing" has allowed the gaming industry to grow creating 1000s of jobs and finally giving chances to 100s of people who have always wanted to create video games. The rise of Indy Development! [/b]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

To combat Game Stop and illegal downloads (to a lesser extent than GS) consoles innovated by allowing games to be downloaded via Live. These games are much cheaper and are nearly impossible to hack. I don't quite remember them creating lawsuits against 1000s of people. Instead they just locked their Xbox and banned their account forever. Again this "stealing" has allowed the gaming industry to grow creating 1000s of jobs and finally giving chances to 100s of people who have always wanted to create video games. The rise of Indy Development! [/b]

But ya can't do all that with anime. Anime is nearly impossible not be hacked. Laughing
(And new games are still $60 a pop, and old games on XBL are still $20-$30. They're not cheap.)
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Stealing is wrong no matter what the content of the stolen. Thankfully it's easy to see the rational comments quite clearly in this discussion. People who know how the real world works.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
gwdone
[/b]Stealing is wrong no matter what the content of the stolen. Thankfully it's easy to see the rational comments quite clearly in this discussion. People who know how the real world works.

But what if we don't agree that it is stealing at all? Historically, stealing means the original owner lost the contents or rights. Neither of these things happen with downloading. Historically, everyone pretty much agrees on what stealing is. That's not true with downloading. Maybe that says something?

Quote:
enurtsol
But ya can't do all that with anime. Anime is nearly impossible not be hacked. Laughing
(And new games are still $60 a pop, and old games on XBL are still $20-$30. They're not cheap.)

Yes. It's one reason why the industry needs to create new solutions.

Games are 60, but XBLA has tons of extremely good games for 5, 10, 15 dollars. Some of which have as much content as 60 games. Digital Distribution will lower prices (and have been) in the long run, now that companies don't have to pay for disks.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
Stealing is wrong no matter what the content of the stolen. Thankfully it's easy to see the rational comments quite clearly in this discussion. People who know how the real world works.

Wiki would like to tell you why you wrongfully call copyright infringement "theft".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:

Games are 60, but XBLA has tons of extremely good games for 5, 10, 15 dollars. Some of which have as much content as 60 games. Digital Distribution will lower prices (and have been) in the long run, now that companies don't have to pay for disks.

Or for labor. XBLA games are small-labor operations. Good for games like visual novels actually, but ya won't see games like Final Fantasy for XBLA (took them 5 years just to build the Crystal Engine; XBLA won't pay for that).

$60 is pretty much the limit on what consumers would pay, but games are actually becoming more expensive than that - especially if they want to maximize the more powerful the console, the more complex the game. So to get around that limit, they sell you a $60 "incomplete" game, but then you have to pay for DLCs to get the "full" experience. Genius. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7