• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Licenses Pretty Cure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

I buy R2s of Galaxy Angel and Nurse Witch Komugi, but as Steven said, it's because I'm a "gignatic diehard fan dork-like person" of the shows. I also like the extra goodies they pack in with the DVDs.

...Not that this is a bad thing, and please don't take it this way (I partake in region 2 discs from time to time, but these are sentimental/decorative purchases, or out of chosen nessecity)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

As long as they don't use Veronica Taylor for the main voice, or anyone else who sounds like her, I'll be interested in seeing the end product. Sorry Ms. Taylor but One Piece killed it for me, unless you can stop sounding like you're a heavy smoker with throat cancer.

Only problem with that is that Veronica Taylor only played as young Sanji. Luffy is played by Erica Schroeder, NOT Veronica Taylor.
Your right, my bad. Apologies Ms. Taylor but I couldn't tell the difference between Ash Ketchem, and Luffy so they sounded the same to my old ears. I hope, Ms. Schroeder, that you recover from those vocal cord knodes soon.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
Hi no Neko wrote:
Al Kahn, if you can hear me, please put this somewhere, anywhere other than your little Fox thing. Miguzi, ABC Family, KidsWB, anywhere.

Sincerely,
Your Fangirl.

We can only hope man. We can only hope.

I'd prefer they put it someplace that it will fail horribly so they aren't encouraged to buy any more of the series or movies, or any other shoujo series. We can only hope. Razz
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Sally60 wrote:
If you're displeased you can always drop by the fansubbers. They've done the entire S1 of Pretty Cure. Which is what this broadcasting station has acquired.

Except the fansubbers pulled it and killed the trackers*. Season 1 Pretty Cure in R1 is dead, unless another fansub group picks it up or by some miracle, 4Kids sublicenses it out to Funi.

*I was only ever able to find one group subbing it. If there's another out there, I haven't found them yet, but I will...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! HOLY ****!!!! Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Well, technically I didn't know the details but it's from what I had felt. And usually my hunches are on key.

Now I'm not really into many "shoujo" shows. Especially of the magic genre. Hell, I wasn't even a fan of 'Sailor Moon' but I've watched enough of it. I just never had an interest for it. But I'm pretty open minded. Card Captor Sakura' was my major first. After being exposed to enough fan art on 'Petty Cure' I had to know what the deal was all about. Why was this show so popular, why was there such a fanbase and why all the "implied shoujo ai"?

After months of curiosity and having checked out the 'Max Heart' movie it was time to go and watch the 1st Season. But not after really bogging down. And that still took some time because I still had other shows to finish and I was still trying to research it a little more.

I finished the series some weeks ago (Feb). I couldn't get into it first hand but I gave it a chance and realized that it had potential. Not to mention a theme song that will stay in you head for days. It just goes to show you that they know how to make an OP that keeps children entertained.

I had got into it so much that it became a "guilty pleasure". I had started looking around for reviews. I found an unfair review on T.H.E.M Anime of after watching just watching 1 episode they were knocking it and trying to compare it to 'Sailor Moon' or that 'Sailor Moon' was better. It's a magic girls show folks! It's supposed to be "campy" and ridiculous, but it's also to supposed to have a good enough story. 'SM' and 'PC' are two different deals. 'SM' was then 'PC' is now. You cannot compare apples and oranges! I found that as old as I am I sort of enjoyed series. I even found that it could work here. Positive, and well written characters in a girl's show. Who also display strong sense of responsibility. The only problem that I found with it was that the networks might find it too violent for young girs. Much ass-kicking in the show. Hell, it's what what kept me glued. I love martial arts shows. I basically dubbed the show 'DBZ' for girls. Turns out that after reading a positive review on 'Animenation' from the 'Ask John' column; he points out that the the series director Daisuke Nishio, also directed the 'Dragon Ball' series, and 'Air Master'. Which is why many of those moves are very reminiscent in 'Pretty Cure'. All produced by 'Toei'.

I also read on the wiki about how popular the show was. That it was already being aired in other countries. There was also a rumor that there was an English dub for it. If this was true then there could be a possibility that we could end up getting it. I didn't find out how true it was until I attended the 'Tokyo Festa' in NYC a few weeks ago.

I had only planned on attending the festival to see the 'Studio 4°C' animated shorts. Which really wasn't much. Just sort of a portfolio of their work and info. on their upcoming project 'Genius Party'. But I decided to stay for the whole event just to see how people would react to seeing 'Pretty Cure' for the first time. There were many Japanese natives who were passing through, some of whom brought their children. The festival was also celebrating the 10th Aniversary of 'Pokemon' so kids could have their pictures taken with 'Pikachu' and 'Meowth'. But 'PC' was pretty well received. Saw lots of happy Japanese people. Hell, they knew what was playing in the house. One little girl brought her 'Cure Black' mask. I saw what seemed like some young anime fans, but I doubt any of them had even heard of 'PC'. I might have been the only anime fan there that was prepared. Saw some smiles from "frumpy" old men. The episode they aired was episode 30. The OP, ED and BGM were left intact. But the rest was dubbed. After all you can't expect English speaking people and old folks, (and there were a lot of them) trying to read subs. I wasn't crazy about the dubbing but I was able to watch it. Plus, I figured this was an experimental dub for the presentation. I also noticed that the sound effects for the punches had been toned down. Which is something I knew was going to happen. But had a feeling that the show would be picked up here. Even though the announcer couldn't confirm anyting on that matter, I knew that the 'trade show' held a day before had something to do with whether 'Toei' could sell 'PC' here. There was a reason why 'Toei's reps were here and wanting to show people their wares.

It's no surprise that 4kids is picking this up. Considering what they have already. And it seems that '4kids' gets more acknowledgement from viewers. I wouldn't know but I'm only speculating. Since 'Tokyo Mew Mew' failed in the ratings maybe 'Pretty Cure' will be the better replacement. And if it does well, they'll probably go after 'PC:MH' or 'PC:SS'. Even though I don't care for most localized anime on TV I do want to see this show come over. I support it and I approve of good shows with strong female characters. And I certainly would approve of my 4 year old and 10 year old nieces watching it. So chances are we'll probably hear more about this over the summer. I just hope that they give the show fair treatment. Mad

Sorry that this post is so long but I had wanted to write something about my experience at the 'Tokyo Festa', some weeks back but there was never a posting put up of whether anyone from ANN had attended both events or were going to announce any word from those events if they had. Embarassed
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Except the fansubbers pulled it and killed the trackers*. Season 1 Pretty Cure in R1 is dead, unless another fansub group picks it up or by some miracle, 4Kids sublicenses it out to Funi.

Does that mean that the Pretty Cure torrents that I got from them don't work anymore?? Shocked

Bah.

(whoops, accidently double-posted. please delete.)

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

Does that mean that the Pretty Cure torrents that I got from them don't work anymore?? Shocked

Bah.

& I was starting to like this series, even though I've only seen Splash Star (yeah, I know it's only a spin-off). Although, I'd rather have 4Kids lisence this than something else.
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Although, I'd rather have 4Kids lisence this than something else.

Anyone, anyone, is better than 4Ka$h.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

As long as they don't use Veronica Taylor for the main voice, or anyone else who sounds like her, I'll be interested in seeing the end product. Sorry Ms. Taylor but One Piece killed it for me, unless you can stop sounding like you're a heavy smoker with throat cancer.

Only problem with that is that Veronica Taylor only played as young Sanji. Luffy is played by Erica Schroeder, NOT Veronica Taylor.

OT: She's also the voice of Nico Robin/ Ms. All-Sunday
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course now that it's coming here I wonder if they will go through releasing it on DVD? I'm kind of surprise that 'Mew Mew Power' and 'Magical Doremi' haven't been placed on DVD release. Sure they'd be localized versions or to some "bastardized", but you'd figure they would have released those. I guess no one thought they could make sales off the DVDs. Hmmm...I wonder how this works. Hell, 'Zatch Bell' is doing pretty good. Though some would love to have the uncut official releases. But so far they're excepting what they're getting. Sure not everyone is going to like the way 'PC' is going to presented here, well true fans anyway but hey what can you do? We don't control what companies plan to buy. The only good of it is that it promotes anime awareness and new fans. That's what the internet is for. To learn more about what's being hidden.

Hell, I'll check out the show on it's release in the fall and shake my head. Because it's hard to stay away when you find yourself driven by "morbid" curiosity. Since I've already seen the show I don't think I care to do the show more than once. But it's found enough of place in my heart that I'll spend the next run treating it the same way I did with 'CCS' -vs- 'Cardcraptors'. Razz

Now to get through 'MH' and 'SS'. I guess the 'PC' series became my 'Sailor Moon'.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Sally60 wrote:
If you're displeased you can always drop by the fansubbers. They've done the entire S1 of Pretty Cure. Which is what this broadcasting station has acquired.

*I was only ever able to find one group subbing it. If there's another out there, I haven't found them yet, but I will...
Just because you can't download the Pretty Cure fansubs directly from the fansubbing group anywhere doesn't mean you can't find downloads for it anywhere. Surely you could find it just as easily at other torrent sites. After all, Tokyo Mew Mew has been licensed by 4Kids and fansubs are still easy to find over the Internet if you know where to look, so surely it couldn't be that hard to find Pretty Cure fansubs for download elsewhere, though I would still much prefer to have official uncut DVDs. If 4Kids licenses the Pretty Cure Max Heart movie, could they possibly release it in theaters? Would that mean we'll have shoujo anime released in U.S. theaters for the first time?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sally60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
The Pretty Cure S1 fansub torrent exists. In fact, dedicated uploaders and seeders exist that have vowed to seed till kingdom come as protest against the supposed editing of the show.

Put some effort into searching or PM and you'll get it.

Priestess_Sally
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote
As the fansubber who was responsible for it, I will make sure it is always available to those who search it out. You just have to weed in the grass a little more. Wink

Frankly, with Mr. Kahn's statements about how all content will soon be digital and free on the internet, and everything is about merchandize, I wonder if he actually supports the idea of distroing fansubs? If it's really simply merchandizing sales he's after, then he'd probably approve or simply not care at all. Unlike companies that make all their money off of DVD sales, fansubbers do not directly compete with 4kids' mrechandize. We sort of indirectly compete... by letting kids not watch the commercials at shown during the show, but then again so does TIVO Smile. Which is the only way I ever watch anything shown at 8 AM on a saturday morning.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:06 am Reply with quote
QuarkboySam wrote:
As the fansubber who was responsible for it, I will make sure it is always available to those who search it out. You just have to weed in the grass a little more. Wink
I'm sure the FBI will be pleased to know that. Rolling Eyes
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
QuarkboySam wrote:
I'm sure the FBI will be pleased to know that. Rolling Eyes

Well, if the japanese language version is available in a legal R1 format at some point in the future, then I wouldn't have to go to these lengths and would cease fansub distribution. But if there is no legal method of obtaining the uncut original language subtitled versions of the show I have no qualms about distroing my fansubs.
And the FBI? Come on, I'd hope they have more important things to do at this point in history Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9