• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
If you ask me it's still just a refresher and it's really not benificial alongside the quick opening summary they already do in the movie, I'd recommend against showing the flashback special as you called it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
My computer is finally back! If I did have my computer at home 2 weeks ago, I would have thought more about those first 2 posts. They were basically heat of moment thoughts (which led to something’s being under thought on my part then leading to some of you misinterpreting what I said); I jumped the gun by saying that Advent Children was the greatest movie ever. I was debating between Lord of the Rings: ROTK and Advent Children and I think I've now come to the conclusion that ROTK is slightly better. And in that respect, you could say AC is a slight disappointment considering how good the game was, but maybe my expectations were a little too high...

Either way you put it, AC is still a terrific movie, you already know about the visuals, but what about the music, seriously, to me this the best soundtrack next to the original FFVII, which, like the game, just seemed to sync in perfectly with what was happening in the movie/game. And the battles sure are something too, I don't see much reason to complain over it's unrealistic style, we all have watched anime here and I don't see how it's fighting is any different than say, Naruto's, well, except for the fact that it looks better and is faster. The acting was also brilliant, in combination with the directing, certain areas of the movie really lured me in (Kadaj showing Rufus who he... resembles) unlike any soap opera. Story wise, it is far from the greatest I've ever seen. And while the plot is a bit dry it still kept me well interested from start to finish (Rufus is Alive?!, Kadaj turns into Sephiroth?!, Geostigma and the Lifestream...). And for those of you, who think there was no ending, think again. The ending was basically that Cloud finally stopped feeling guilty and responsible for Aerith’s death (which was also why he stood in solitude for so long). Another thing to note is that this is, perhaps the only movie I've seen where I didn't think; "Did they really need that last 2 minutes?”

I don't see why you guys think that, just because you hate the movie, everyone also has to because you think you are right (that is not to say my opinion is right either). I know people who never even played the game and they seem to like it more than me! And the reviewer gave it a freaking B!

If you are still not convinced that I'm more than just some biased fan boy you can see my review, which I will post in my new blog (for real this time) on my 1up.com (just because I only have 10 posts here, doesn’t mean I haven’t gone any experience anywhere else!) page in maybe a little bit over a week. (You know how long it took me to right this short in comparison forum post? I need a break!) And if you do decide to go don’t forget my forum name!. And maybe I will change my ANN picture now that AC is out...

Whew! Good thing I have that off my chest because it was on there for like 2 weeks!
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Feel free to delete this if it's flailing a dead horse but...

I personally have watched the original Advent Children movie after only having read a detailed walkthrough of the original FF7 game without ever having personally played it. Then I watched Advent Children Complete version both before *and* after having additionally watched all the cutscenes (and playthroughs) of both Crisis Core and Before Crisis. And you know what? While Advent Children was a bit confusing, Advent Children Complete was a near-perfect movie. I didn't feel it appropriate to run my mouth off about something without knowing everything there was to know about it, so if I didn't understand something, I did my research. To those of you who did not, honestly: shame on you for even reviewing this movie. If you don't understand something and are too lazy to bother with a bit of research, your interest in it is obviously not there, so why even bother with the review? If you are one of those people, then I'm sorry, but as several people have already pointed out, your opinion in this matter is irrelevant.

But for those who are well informed on both FF7 and this movie, I have to wonder whether most of the criticism seen here is aimed only at the first version of the movie. If so, that's understandable. But if you're actually talking about Advent Children Complete and still think the story is a crapshoot, then I must say: you either did not understand the plot of the movie or underestimated it. I mean really, what other plausible way could you think of to bring back Sephiroth? And if you don't think Sephiroth is a necessary element to any conflict that has to involve Cloud, then what else would you have Cloud do? There are no other opponents after all. Yes, Sephiroth was necessary, as he only added to Cloud's mental and emotional trauma and was not just an antagonist, but a person who personally hated Cloud (and the feeling was mutual).

This was about Cloud's hangups regarding the deaths of both Zack and Aerith (I'm sorry, but that really is the only official spelling for her name), and both of them, as well as Tifa, helped Cloud come to terms with their deaths. Was this a perfect movie? No, because nothing is perfect. There will invariably be imperfections in every movie. Did it come pretty damn close though? Sure as heck did. It was original, enjoyable, intelligent, had depth and did not lose itself to the fight scenes. Sure there was symbolism and product placement, but name one movie that doesn't have the product placement, and symbolism is pretty much necessary to give meaning to something and make it relatable.

If nothing else, I definitely enjoyed this movie's references to both Zack and Aerith, especially the latter. I'm one of the people who finds Crisis Core's story more compelling than the original FF7's. I find Zack more compelling than Cloud as a main character. It's not that I dislike Cloud, but Zack just has more attractive qualities to me. Even in a place like Midgar, Zack is a person whose presence just shines, and his attitude even throughout the entire Nibelheim incident and thereafter make Zack both sympathetic and really just exactly the kind of best friend everyone strives for. It doesn't hurt that Crisis Core has the most beautiful graphics ever for a PSP game either.

To get back to Advent Children though, if you haven't seen Advent Children Complete, I'd advise you to watch it before criticizing the movie as a whole. I'm pretty picky with my anime (and anime-related stuff), and I think that modern anime is pretty much a huge pile of crap with only a few gems that shine through. Advent Children Complete was definitely one of those gems for me.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
The mods are going to close the thread due to the extreme necroposting. Normally, I'd point you to the discussion thread for the title in question, but since there isn't one, you should take your post and make a discussion thread about it in the Anime forum.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Nope.

Zac told me that if it's a thread for a review to just leave it, no matter how old it is.

So discuss away Confused..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7